2. 2. Preferred Starting Lineup?

• 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE
    • 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 0 TE
    • 1 QB, 2 RBs, 3 WRs, 1 TE
    • 1 QB, 2 RBs, 2 WRs, 1 TE, + flex
  3. 3. Roster Size?

• 20+

Q&A Week 9

FF Today staffer Mike Davis has invited readers to respond to specific questions about a league that could productively be used as a point of reference for people who might want to get a sense of player value beyond the scope of whatever scoring systems their own leagues use. The idea, as I tried to make clear in the column, was not to standardize fantasy leagues, but to come up with a supplemental league model so that people who are primarily invested in 8-team, points-only keepers might be able to discuss player value with people who are primarily invested in 14-team, head-to-head redrafters.

We started this last week with basic league structure questions (How many participants? Points-only or head-to-head? Redrafter, keeper, or other?). Thank you for your responses to those questions, now let's move on to some more details.

1)Team Defenses or Individual Defensive Players? (Also, should team special teams be lumped in with team defenses?)

2) Preferred lineup? (The possibilities here are limitless, but I’m primarily interested in determining whether people think the average league should require tight ends, allow a third receiver instead of a tight end, and/or include flex players.)

3) Roster Size? (I’ve drafted 12; I’ve drafted 20; I see the downsides and the upsides of both methods and everything in between, but what number most accurately reflects the amount of talent tied up in the average league?)

In :bench:

Defense with special teams - makes games more entertaining. Punt returns and kickoff returns are so rare anyway, it's not like it makes a big of difference. Might as well add that element.

I'm for 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE... there are so many WRs that starting 3 is easy even for 12 team leagues. I've used the flex position before and I hated it. Stacked teams are already at an advantage. Flex positions just make it that much worse.

As for roster size - I like it relatively small. (16 seems to work fine). I joined a second crap league this year and the dumbass Commish decided it would be a great idea to allow rosters of 20. Well sure enough, our waiver wire is a total joke. There's no reason to even look for good pickups because there's nothing available. NOTHING. Everyone has 2 TEs, 2 Defenses, 3 QBs, etc.... it's ridiculous. IMO scanning the waiver wire is a big part of the fun. Too much roster space kills the fun.

Since RBs seem to drop like flies, our league allows a 2 RB and 2 WR or a 1 RB and 3 WR roster. It really levels the playing field at the end of the year when there are a ton of RB injuries.

I guess my league is a bit bigger than most but we go with 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, and 1 FLEX. This means slim pickings for WR's/ RB's. Anytime someone mentions a "sleeper" on this site or says look out for this guy, they are all taken. When i posted a question on the a little help board and listed the availabe WR, most people didn't even know some of the WR's. I had a bad draft and i have started Vincent Jackson, Eric Parker, and Rashied Davis.

Voted for 14 man roster, but my main league actually plays with 13 man rosters. I prefer the smaller formats, they make playing the WW more interesting and I think it leads to more league parity over the season.

Defense with special teams - makes games more entertaining. Punt returns and kickoff returns are so rare anyway, it's not like it makes a big of difference. Might as well add that element.

I'm for 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE... there are so many WRs that starting 3 is easy even for 12 team leagues. I've used the flex position before and I hated it. Stacked teams are already at an advantage. Flex positions just make it that much worse.

As for roster size - I like it relatively small. (16 seems to work fine). I joined a second crap league this year and the dumbass Commish decided it would be a great idea to allow rosters of 20. Well sure enough, our waiver wire is a total joke. There's no reason to even look for good pickups because there's nothing available. NOTHING. Everyone has 2 TEs, 2 Defenses, 3 QBs, etc.... it's ridiculous. IMO scanning the waiver wire is a big part of the fun. Too much roster space kills the fun.

Perfect answer. You just justified my votes. :banana: