Sign in to follow this  
Skinny_Bastard

Johnny Manziel

Garcia? Oh, so manziel is all that but will only be a mediocre career backup like Garcia? What to aim high..... hilarious.

Stats may not prove otherwise, but Jeff Garcia was a fierce competitor and serviceable QB for the 9ers for several years. The guy went to the probowl 4 times and has a career completion percentage of 61%. I'd imagine Maziel would be delighted with such a career arc.

Stats may not prove otherwise, but Jeff Garcia was a fierce competitor and serviceable QB for the 9ers for several years. The guy went to the probowl 4 times and has a career completion percentage of 61%. I'd imagine Maziel would be delighted with such a career arc.

Garcia play in a WCO which requires him to get rid of the ball quickly with a ball control passing game. Yes, the dink and dunk.

Manziel 'might' succeed if he's put in an offense like that...but then it would completely neutralize his key skill set (scramble, run and force the defense to break down for the big play).

Heard Josh McDaniel turned down the running for the Browns HC job.

I can see it already..

GM of Browns, "What are your thoughts on Manziel as your QB?"
Josh, "He's small, likes to scramble, got a weak arm and a hot head"
GM of Browns, "We're going to draft him"
Josh, "then i don't want the job....laters"

I can see it already..

McDaniels turned it down because he knows his next job will probably be his last if he isn't successful. He needs to pick his moment to become a head coach again and this wasn't it. Smart move on his part.

McDaniels turned it down because he knows his next job will probably be his last if he isn't successful. He needs to pick his moment to become a head coach again and this wasn't it. Smart move on his part.

I'm sure Bill had 'some' influence.

Bortles has a chance to be the top QB taken. The draft advisory board graded him as a first round pick. He has good size, elite arm strength, and good athletic ability. He reminds me a lot of someone like Jake Locker in terms of both his ability and has ascension up draft boards.

I agree with the Locker comparison, not exactly a ringing endorsement as far as I'm Concerned though.

I don't trust any of these draft advisory boards. Geno smith was rated a top QB in January 2013. Look at how his a@@ drop on drafted on night.

I don't trust any of these draft advisory boards. Geno smith was rated a top QB in January 2013. Look at how his a@@ drop on drafted on night.

Well no sh!t. They haven't even had the Combine yet.

I can see it already..

You say this for a guy who drafted Tebow in the 1st?

I don't know about that SB. Josh has always come across as an arrogant pissant to me.

He is part of the Parcell/Belicheat coaching tree. :)

Among a list of other things, Jacksonville needs to fill seats at home. Johnny Football would do that - maybe they take him at #3.

Among a list of other things, Jacksonville needs to fill seats at home. Johnny Football would do that - maybe they take him at #3.

That logic is flawed.

Winning fill seats.

You do that by building a team with the best talent available. How do you let a guy like Clowney slip? He's an instant help on your defense.

That logic is flawed.

Winning fill seats.

Jerry Jones' accountants and bankers would disagree with you. Since Jerry World opened in 2009 - Dallas has led the league in attendance every year. In case you haven't noticed - we haven't won jack shiat during that time.

I don't know about that SB. Josh has always come across as an arrogant pissant to me.

Try watching one of his press conferences sometimes. He's actually pretty engaging and articulate. I do think his very early success caused his head to swell a bit going to Denver, but he got knocked down a peg or two and seems more humble as a result.

I agree with the Locker comparison, not exactly a ringing endorsement as far as I'm Concerned though.

Yes and no. I think Locker has the tools. He just can't stay healthy long enough to develop those tools.

Yes and no. I think Locker has the tools. He just can't stay healthy long enough to develop those tools.

And how is Manziel going to stay healthy? I get that he has been pretty elusive in college but this is the NFL, where nearly every player is bigger, stronger, faster.

And how is Manziel going to stay healthy? I get that he has been pretty elusive in college but this is the NFL, where nearly every player is bigger, stronger, faster.

Agree.

There's too much speed on the defensive side in the NFL to allow an elusive QB to stay elusive.

When was the last time an 'elusive' QB went bonkers in the playoffs? Vick against the packers? 11+ years ago????

Or would you call Kaepernick's rushing numbers in last year's playoff as being 'elusive'? I thought most of those runs were designed.

Agree.

There's too much speed on the defensive side in the NFL to allow an elusive QB to stay elusive.

When was the last time an 'elusive' QB went bonkers in the playoffs? Vick against the packers? 11+ years ago????

Or would you call Kaepernick's rushing numbers in last year's playoff as being 'elusive'? I thought most of those runs were designed.

I would include Kaepernick, but he runs when he has openings and almost always makes it to the sideline. That's not Manziel's game, which is scurrying around in the pocket 'til the play defense breaks down. That'll get you killed in the NFL.

I'm not saying he will. But Manziel did show many improvements throwing the ball this year. His mechanics improved some which seemed to lead to a little bit better arm strength. He was a lot more consistent with his ball placement and accuracy. He also showed a lot more patience in the pocket than he did in his freshmen year. He just needs to learn to keep his feet under him sometimes when he throws the ball.

This past year he rushed for 651 LESS yards on 57 less attempts. That says a lot. He was looking to throw the ball a lot more than just taking off and running. As a result he threw for over 400 more yards and 11 more TD's, while increasing his completion percentage and yards per attempt.

Look, I'm definitely not all aboard the Johnny Manziel bandwagon. But I also don't think he should be written off as a "college player" that absolutely can't succeed in the NFL. He has a lot of things he needs to improve as a passer and especially a pocker passer. But the kid has VERY unique improvisational skills. His quickness, speed, and instincts are elite for a QB. If he continues to improve his mechanics and ability to throw the ball in the pocket, I think he certainly has a chance to make it in the NFL.

Look, I'm definitely not all aboard the Johnny Manziel bandwagon. But I also don't think he should be written off as a "college player" that absolutely can't succeed in the NFL. He has a lot of things he needs to improve as a passer and especially a pocker passer. But the kid has VERY unique improvisational skills. His quickness, speed, and instincts are elite for a QB. If he continues to improve his mechanics and ability to throw the ball in the pocket, I think he certainly has a chance to make it in the NFL.

Yes, but he's being hailed as the next big thing coming out. He's already labeled as a franchise QB.

I just think the odds are stacked against him in the NFL.

Look, i get where all this hype is coming from. I've watched every M. Vick game from VT to the day he was sent off to jail. It was fun, dude was electric! But Johnny Football is no M. Vick.

Yes, but he's being hailed as the next big thing coming out. He's already labeled as a franchise QB.

Look, i get where all this hype is coming from. I've watched every M. Vick game from VT to the day he was sent off to jail. It was fun, dude was electric! But Johnny Football is no M. Vick.

This is the basic nuts and bolts of it all. Not that I'm any kind of GM - but if I were I'd never consider him 3rd round or higher. 4th round? Sure - worth a shot.

Who is labeling him as a franchise QB? I haven't seen much of that at all. I don't think he is being hailed as the next big thing. It seems like scouts, GM's, and talking heads are all over the map with Manziel. Yes, he will be the big story of this draft. But that's mainly because people are all over the map on him as a player, and also because of the interest that surrounds him off the field.

I haven't really heard anyone compare him to Michael Vick either. Vick was a once in a lifetime talent as far as athletic ability mixed with arm strength. But Manziel is a better passer today than Michael Vick was when he left Virginia Tech.

Who is labeling him as a franchise QB? I haven't seen much of that at all. I don't think he is being hailed as the next big thing. It seems like scouts, GM's, and talking heads are all over the map with Manziel. Yes, he will be the big story of this draft. But that's mainly because people are all over the map on him as a player, and also because of the interest that surrounds him off the field.

When you are selected in the top 5 of any draft, you are drafted as a franchise QB. Mocks have him going to Texans, Jags, Cleveland and Raiders.

Manziel has bust written all over him. Too much media hype and star power antics. He won't be able to handle his huge contract, too many celebrities to date. Always go for the quiet, workmanlike farm boy white qb type. Primadonnas do too much blow and party and minorities get overwhelmed from the money due to their poor upbringing and lose focus. Can set ur watch to it.

Garcia? Oh, so manziel is all that but will only be a mediocre career backup like Garcia? What to aim high..... hilarious.

I think Manziel will be fortunate to have a Garcia-like career. I think he's more likely to be out of football in three years.

Mel's Kipper's 1.0 mock.

1. QB, Johnny Manziel - Houston :doh:

2. OT, Jake Matthews - St. Louis via Wash

3. DE, Jadeveon Clowney - Jax

4. QB, Blake Bortles - Cleveland

5. WR, Sammy Watkins - Oakland

6. OLB, Anthony Barr - Atlanta

7. OLB, Khalil Mack - Tampa Bay

8. QB, Teddy Bridgewater - Minnesota

9. OT, Greg Robinson - Buffalo

10. CB, Justin Gilbert - Detroit

11. OT, Taylor Lewan - Tennessee

12. LB, C.J. Mosley - NYG

13. WR, Mike Evans - St. Louis

14. DT, Timmy Jernigan - Chichago

15. DT, Louis Nix III - Steelers

16. TE, Eric Ebron - Baltimore

17. S, Ha Ha Clinton-Dix - Dallas

18. WR, Marquise Lee - NYJ

19. OT, Cyrus Kouandjio - Miami

20. OT, Zack Martin - Arizona

21. S, Calvin Pryor - Green Bay

22. WR, Calvin Benjamin - Philly

23. DE, Stephon Tuitt - Kansas City

24. CB, Darqueze Dennard - Cincy

25. CB, Bradley Roby - San Diego

26. RB, Carlos Hyde - Cleveland

27. OT, Antonio Richardson - New Orleans

28. WR, Brandin Cooks - Carolina

29. TE, Jace Amaro - New England

30. WR, Odell Beckham Jr. - San Fran

31. DE, Scott Crichton - Denver

32. WR, Allen Robinson - Seattle

Kiper's Analysis: I spoke to a number of high-ranking NFL evaluators this week, and this is the one QB anyone felt certain was a top-5 pick. So consider this an early bet, with one major caveat: Bill O'Brien just arrived, is still putting his staff together, knows a good QB when he sees one, and hasn't had enough time (if any) to study the draft class. But we know quarterback is a major need here. O'Brien likes a QB with presence, a leader and a guy who will out-prepare the competition. And while Manziel has gotten his share of bad press, he's a dynamic talent, and I feel he can lead at the next level; I'm not alone in that opinion. While Manziel is currently ranked No. 11 on my Big Board, this reflects the draft.

Manziel doesn't fit the old prototypes of a QB drafted No. 1, and I have concerns about how well he can protect himself given his smaller frame, but he is a magician on the field, and is made for the current NFL. This league protects and welcomes QBs who can improvise, run and make plays beyond the playbook. It's early, but Manziel is a special player and has the draft process to prove it further.

The Kelvin Benjamin projection for the Eagles makes absolutely no sense for a team that desperately needs to upgrade their defense. I know Howie Roseman has said they'd take the "best player" available. But I don't see any way they take an offensive player in the first round (or even first two or three rounds).

I think Houston is simply trying to fish a bidding war for the number 1 pick. With so many teams in need of a QB, they'll love to fleece Cleveland at the 4th spot.

I think Houston is simply trying to fish a bidding war for the number 1 pick. With so many teams in need of a QB, they'll love to fleece Cleveland at the 4th spot.

Maybe, but Houston needs a QB just as badly as any other team. There also isn't a Andrew Luck or RG3 in this draft, so I don't know why any team would "get fleeced" by moving up. Cleveland can sit at #4 and still possibly get whoever the top QB on their board is (Bridgewater, Manziel, or Bortles).

Kiper's Analysis: I spoke to a number of high-ranking NFL evaluators this week, and this is the one QB anyone felt certain was a top-5 pick. So consider this an early bet, with one major caveat: Bill O'Brien just arrived, is still putting his staff together, knows a good QB when he sees one, and hasn't had enough time (if any) to study the draft class. But we know quarterback is a major need here. O'Brien likes a QB with presence, a leader and a guy who will out-prepare the competition. And while Manziel has gotten his share of bad press, he's a dynamic talent, and I feel he can lead at the next level; I'm not alone in that opinion. While Manziel is currently ranked No. 11 on my Big Board, this reflects the draft.

Manziel doesn't fit the old prototypes of a QB drafted No. 1, and I have concerns about how well he can protect himself given his smaller frame, but he is a magician on the field, and is made for the current NFL. This league protects and welcomes QBs who can improvise, run and make plays beyond the playbook. It's early, but Manziel is a special player and has the draft process to prove it further.

That's pretty interesting. I would've thought there would be a lot if disagreement on Manziel--some having him top five and others putting him in the late-first or second round. Just goes to show how little I know about evaluating college talent.

Of course, we haven't had workouts yet and all that. A lot can change.

That logic is flawed.

Winning fill seats.

You do that by building a team with the best talent available. How do you let a guy like Clowney slip? He's an instant help on your defense.

oh yeah, because ALL the successful NFL teams right now are built around a defensive end. Everybody is talking about that fantastic New England vs Denver matchup because of the epic Malik Jackson vs Rob Ninkovich showdown. :rolleyes:

oh yeah, because ALL the successful NFL teams right now are built around a defensive end. Everybody is talking about that fantastic New England vs Denver matchup because of the epic Malik Jackson vs Rob Ninkovich showdown. :rolleyes:

Doesn't Seattle and SF have the top 2 defenses in the league?

Neither manning or Brady might win the Super Bowl this year.

"Billboards are beginning to sprout up around Houston that proclaim, "Keep Johnny Football in Texas!"

The campaign to urge the Texans to select Texas A&M QB Johnny Manziel No. 1 is the brainchild of attorney and Texas A&M Board of Regents member Tony Buzbee. Interestingly, Buzbee is one of owner Bob McNair's neighbors. In addition, Buzbee created the website draftjohnnymanziel.com, which emphatically states: "Dont' blow it Bob -- Draft Johnny!""
This 'Manziel' guy is a lot closer to 'Tebow' than we think. The whole circus that might follow with this guy should really worry teams. The constant celebrity (Drake, Lebron, Jay-Z, etc.) news and off field noise should make teams think twice.