Sign in to follow this  
Super Cubs

Panther WRs

Steve Smith - gone

Brandon LaFell - gone

Ted Ginn Jr - gone

That's their # 1, 2, and 3 WRs from last year all gone. I curious to how this plays out.

They also lost their 4rth leading WR: Domenik Hixon.

They are left with their pass catching RBs and their TE & practice squad/KR level players.

Sure, the upcoming draft is deep at WR, but rookie WRs are not really known for having immediate impact ... they had best grab James Jones and some other veteran.

They had to get rid of their receiving core anyway. Smith was over the hill and not even close to what he once was. Lefell just sucks. Hixon wasn't anything special either. I wanted to see Ginn stay to see if he could develop something with Cam, but he still wasn't a franchise WR.

The Ravens are retarded for signing Smith imo. I will never understand how a team can conclude they have a franchise QB, pay him as such, and then refuse to put more offensive weapons around him, WR in particular.

Maybe Marvin McNutt will be their new #1 wr. Move him from the practice squad.

Sure, they had no true #1 WR & Smith is on his last legs. He might end up being better than what they can cobble together now though ..

And his cap # is 3M to not play there. Surely it was worth a call to see if he'd re-up to play a 1 or 2 year deal for slightly more than the cost of him not playing there :P Or at least wait until you do sign a replacement to cut him?

I don't see any WR left on the FA market that are better than Smith besides James Jones. And they have 3 WR slots to fill, so even if they do get Jones, I think they'd have been better served to keep Smith & draft a rookie or two.

If they miss James Jones ... they gotta go with the Danario Alexanders, Nate Burlesons & Jason Avants of the world.

Sure, they had no true #1 WR & Smith is on his last legs. He might end up being better than what they can cobble together now though ..

And his cap # is 3M to not play there. Surely it was worth a call to see if he'd re-up to play a 1 or 2 year deal for slightly more than the cost of him not playing there :P Or at least wait until you do sign a replacement to cut him?

I don't see any WR left on the FA market that are better than Smith besides James Jones. And they have 3 WR slots to fill, so even if they do get Jones, I think they'd have been better served to keep Smith & draft a rookie or two.

If they miss James Jones ... they gotta go with the Danario Alexanders, Nate Burlesons & Jason Avants of the world.

Yeah at this point of FA there isn't a whole lot left at WR.

Steve Smith - gone

Brandon LaFell - gone

Ted Ginn Jr - gone

That's their # 1, 2, and 3 WRs from last year all gone. I curious to how this plays out.

they have lost alot of talent this off season so far on both sides offf the ball plus two oline players . i would think in the passing game newton lst some stock imo . and i think all three wr will have good seasons with the new teams they landed with imo

Not a big fan of the way Panthers rebuilt its WR corps. I always believe QB and WRs need time to built chemistry. Not high on WRs changing teams, especially when they went to a bad team for money.

I don't know why the Pats signed LaFell, he has always been pretty mediocre.

Ginn? I think they'll live without him.

Steve Smith was a headache and is old as hell.

Certainly they do need some receivers now but it's not like they had much to start with.

That said I would've retained one of those guys just for continuity.

I don't know why the Pats signed LaFell, he has always been pretty mediocre.

Ginn? I think they'll live without him.

Steve Smith was a headache and is old as hell.

Certainly they do need some receivers now but it's not like they had much to start with.

That said I would've retained one of those guys just for continuity.

Pats signed Lafell for his size and blocking.

people keep forgetting about miles Austin.. he is a beast when healthy

Let me know when that is...

Here are my top ranked free agent WRs that are still available...

5 James Jones UFA 6 GB
12 Santonio Holmes Released 7 NYJ
13 Kenny Britt UFA 4 TEN
14 Danario Alexander UFA 3 SD
19 Lance Moore Released 7 NO
20 Miles Austin Released 7 DAL
21 Damian Williams UFA 3 TEN
22 Sidney Rice Released 6 SEA
23 Doug Baldwin RFA 2 SEA
24 Tiquan Underwood UFA 4 TB
25 Mario Manningham UFA 5 SF
26 Jerricho Cotchery UFA 9 PIT
27 Joe Morgan RFA 2 NO
28 Jason Avant Released 7 PHI
29 Nate Burleson UFA 10 DET
32 Darrius Heyward-Bey UFA 4 IND

That's a shaky group. No doubt the Panthers will be looking for WR help in the upcoming draft.

They should have kept Smiff after a paycut, but the new GM wanted his own house. I think they make a run at Jones and Britt. Holmes is a locker room cancer, Moore is a possession WR, DX and Austin can't stay off the shelf.

Sad thing is CAR will be looking at 2nd/3rd rounders for WR in the draft, so they'll need to hit. Good thing the WR class is solid this year!

PS - Steve Smith will prove a lot of you FF prognosticators wrong in BAL next year. 70/800/5 = 180 point WR3 in PPR. :)

Run game m.I.a. now pass game? Easy wins for opposing teams.

I wonder if they will consider replacing 'malcontent' Steve Smith with Santonio Holmes .. that'd be pretty hypocritical, but never stopped GMs before.

Danario Alexander might have some upside, with only 3 years under his belt & 600 7 last year, except he might not play in 2014 due to knee injuries

Britt could return to form I guess ... worth a veteran's min flier on a team that can afford a luxury.

But any of these guys as the focal point of a passing offense? For a team that was a super bowl contender last year? I would hate to be explaining this to Cam Newton ..

I would hate to be explaining this to Cam Newton ..

Because he's kind of slow and you'd have to draw him a picture?

I think they'll sign a bet and go WR early and often in the draft. Britt plus say Kelvin Benjamin is at least something to work with.

• Like 1

The panthers are just going to convert good offensive linemen to wrs. They will block for cam and the run game on every play revolutionizing the offense to a run only offense. Probably something like a triple option on every play.

It does look like they'll have a run focused attack right now ;) Maybe their plan all along ... has been to re-sign retired OT Jordan Gross as a WR. :banana:

I don't doubt that they will draft 2+ wr in the draft, but they need to go OL in the first round to replace Gross, so they are asking 2nd and 3rd round WRs to immediately be productive + counting on someone like Britt to come in and step it up.

They also have about 5M in free cap space, so it just seems criminal to waste 3M of dead money on Steve Smith when he'd probably have played there with a hometown discount this year. That's also why they lost out on Nicks & Jones - no $ to pay them and no established WR to pair them with. Rumors are that Britt is looking at a few teams right now, so the Panthers might not even get him :shocking:

Britt, Moore, Rice, Baldwin, Austin, draft picks.... get a couple from the list and draft a few, not markedly worse than what they had.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- Wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery signed a two-year contract with the Carolina Panthers on Thursday, the team announced.

Financial terms weren't disclosed, but a source told ESPN.com the deal is worth $5 million.

Not knowing the specifics ... lets assume $2.5M cap number each year. Add that to a $3M cap number for releasing Steve Smith & they could have kept Smith for a reworked 5.5M (or less to save $) and had a superior receiver that Cam already is in sync with.

According to nbcsports the panthers had $7.3 M in cap space two days ago. Assuming they did no other deals, they just spent 33% of their remaining cap space for a 32 year old possession WR. Hope they have some other scrubs to cut ..

sign Britt, Austin and draft a WR... that would put them in FAR better shape than they were. Austin is a more than solid WR when healthy and Britt still has a world of talent at only what 25 years old? Maybe you catch lightning with him but even if you don't you draft a guy anyway in this great class. Cotchery is a great pro and would make a nice WR3.

Good plan WhiteWonder, I think they should also sign Danario Alexander. They would then have 3 very good WRs and a Rookie WR, and since all 3 are injury prone at least if and when one gets hurt they still have 2 solid starters. All 3 healthy and they have a very good receiving core.

Good plan WhiteWonder, I think they should also sign Danario Alexander. They would then have 3 very good WRs and a Rookie WR, and since all 3 are injury prone at least if and when one gets hurt they still have 2 solid starters. All 3 healthy and they have a very good receiving core.

Dx would be interesting. A good low risk signing would be good for the team.

sign Britt, Austin and draft a WR... that would put them in FAR better shape than they were. Austin is a more than solid WR when healthy and Britt still has a world of talent at only what 25 years old? Maybe you catch lightning with him but even if you don't you draft a guy anyway in this great class. Cotchery is a great pro and would make a nice WR3.

Those guys are both done, IMO.

Britt, maybe you sign to see if he even sticks on your roster. God help you if you're heavily relying on him though

If Britt were smart he'd -oh nevermind- let's not pretend.

But this would be the best place to resurrect his career and reputation. Great team, great QB, nobody to compete against at his position.

Those guys are both done, IMO.

Britt, maybe you sign to see if he even sticks on your roster. God help you if you're heavily relying on him though

you don't think Austin, Britt, Cotchery and lets say Kelvin Benjamin would be a talented group of WR's for Cam? certainly more talent than he has had to work with. Granted a lot of it is theoretical talent but Austin and Cotchery are both good character guys. Britt is a lottery ticket. Also factor in that it wouldn't cost a lot of $

you don't think Austin, Britt, Cotchery and lets say Kelvin Benjamin would be a talented group of WR's for Cam? certainly more talent than he has had to work with. Granted a lot of it is theoretical talent but Austin and Cotchery are both good character guys. Britt is a lottery ticket. Also factor in that it wouldn't cost a lot of $

Austin and Britt don't play.

Cotchery, perhaps, but he is getting up there in age isn't he?

Austin and Britt don't play.

Cotchery, perhaps, but he is getting up there in age isn't he?

Britt was purposely buried on the titans bench last year. they were done with him. obviously he still has issues but 1 year low $ deal for that type of potential talent... why not?

Austin would need to show he can stay on the field but a solid veteran i would think.

I would like them both signing as a panthers fan. Its better than anything they will get for this year in the draft or free agency. As long as its a very small cap hit.

I would like them both signing as a panthers fan. Its better than anything they will get for this year in the draft or free agency. As long as its a very small cap hit.

The WR depth for this year's draft is supposed to be very good. :dunno:

The WR depth for this year's draft is supposed to be very good. :dunno:

Rookie receivers usually take at least a year to become consistent contributors. So for this year i believe if austin and britt can stay on the field they could outperform any rookie the panthers draft.

The health issue is a big if so i said only with a small contract would i be willing to sign either of them.

For the future, yes there are a lot of wrs in this draft that i believe would be more valuable with less health concerns.