Sign in to follow this  
fanfootballtn

++ UPDATE - DeSean Jackson signed by Redskins

DJax has been questioned by police about his association with gang members in LA and the Eagles thought he was a bad guy in the locker room and off the field.

The gang stuff would make sense. Otherwise I'm not really seeing it. A primadonna, sure, but most elite receivers are.

(I know some will take issue with the "elite" label but IMO he is at least near-elite.)

I'm not saying it was necessarily a bad move but it was certainly a remarkable one.

The gang stuff would make sense. Otherwise I'm not really seeing it. A primadonna, sure, but most elite receivers are.

(I know some will take issue with the "elite" label but IMO he is at least near-elite.)

I'm not saying it was necessarily a bad move but it was certainly a remarkable one.

I think it was a combination of things, including the off field stuff but also the locker room immaturity. Mostly though I think the Eagles feel he will be vastly overpaid at $10m this year and didn't like his griping about a new deal. The last time that happened he dogged it all year and tey aren't going to put up with that again at his salary. And I suspect Chip Kelly is less tolerant of DJax attitude than Big Red was and thinks he can plug players with a similar skillet into his offense and still get production.

Affiliated with a gang member who is being investigated for shooting a 14 year old. What a moron. I would cut him as well. This however, might just be rumors, but more often than not they are true.

So Riley Cooper Says the N word for the whole world to see and has a mediocre season and gets a 25 million dollar contract. Meanwhile Jackson has a career year and cant even have his contract honored. Good work Philly.

This is interesting they were just saying on NFL.com that Desean was calling his teammates saying he was staying.

Just a public move to keep his trade value up.

Just a public move to keep his trade value up.

I figured that much.

So Riley Cooper says the N word for the whole world to see and has a mediocre season and gets a 25 million dollar contract. Meanwhile Jackson has a career year and cant even have his contract honored. Good work Philly.

So Riley Cooper Says the N word for the whole world to see and has a mediocre season and gets a 25 million dollar contract. Meanwhile Jackson has a career year and cant even have his contract honored. Good work Philly.

You obviously are a 90s baby. So sensitive. It's a business, and Philly's only decision regarding Jackson or Cooper (who also had a career year) is whether they think his value to the organization equates with what they'd have to pay him next season.

You obviously are a 90s baby. So sensitive. It's a business, and Philly's only decision regarding Jackson or Cooper (who also had a career year) is whether they think his value to the organization equates with what they'd have to pay him next season.

Philly was primed to make a deep playoff run, they were probably only one or two players away from being a real SB contender, and they cut their best WR that does a lot more than catch footballs, he helps that run game just by being on the field. Not being sensitive about it and it is a business, and this was a bad business decision.

Philly was primed to make a deep playoff run, they were probably only one or two players away from being a real SB contender, and they cut their best WR that does a lot more than catch footballs, he helps that run game just by being on the field. Not being sensitive about it and it is a business, and this was a bad business decision.

Given that the move appears driven by more than just on field performance, I'll tend to side with the people who actually know Jackson and work with him on a daily basis.

Eagles fan who was not a fan of the Kelly hire. Still not completely sold, though it looks like he's going to do all he can to prove me wrong. But one thing I did learn from watching them last season (and then looking at some old Oregon film to see why I missed that the first time around) is that big WR who can block are more important to that run game than a vertical threat. The threat of the run creates vertical opportunities. So a guy like Cooper ends up with one fewer TD and a higher YPC than Jackson.

There's no question Jackson is a weapon. But if he's a headache in the room (as indicated by his past behavior and comments by teammates) on a team with young leadership, that can be a huge problem. At least one the Eagles didn't think it was worth paying $10 million to have.

Yes, they'll have to find a deep threat. But it appears their thought is that it's easier to find speed than to deal with the speedy guy they have. Seattle just won a title relying heavily on the likes of Tate, Kearse and Baldwin. Time will tell.

• Like 1

Personally I think the gang stuff must have some truth to it, or at least Philly must think it's a valid concern. Otherwise I just don't see cutting a great weapon coming off a career year.

More likely they broke the relationship beyond repair earlier this offseason & the recent 'kiss and makeup' was just a PR move to try and help trade him. Once that fell through, they had no choice to release him.

Will his subtraction be a huge blow for Philly? I am not sure - they do have tons of weapons. Regardless they screwed up how this was handled & missed a chance to get something significant in return for him.

I'm still curious who was leaking all the bad vibes between him and the team. It did not really sound like DJax wanted out ... but he could just be hiding it well. Maybe he really does think someone else will pay him more $? *shrugs*

Personally I think the gang stuff must have some truth to it, or at least Philly must think it's a valid concern. Otherwise I just don't see cutting a great weapon coming off a career year.

I don't know when of if they knew about that, but -as this thread attests- they've been rumored to be cutting him all offseason. The story breaking must have been the straw that broke the camel's back, I woke up and learned both that and his being cut at the same time.

I don't know when of if they knew about that, but -as this thread attests- they've been rumored to be cutting him all offseason. The story breaking must have been the straw that broke the camel's back, I woke up and learned both that and his being cut at the same time.

I actually heard about the gang related stuff about ten minutes after my previous post.

The evidence seems to point to the Eagles being contacted about the "gang connection" back in 2011. The Eagles signed Desean to a 5 year deal in 2012.

The evidence seems to point to the Eagles being contacted about the "gang connection" back in 2011. The Eagles signed Desean to a 5 year deal in 2012.

Which leads me to believe that Chip is just less tolerant of locker room distractions and me first attitudes than Big Red was. This stuff all getting leaked is just the Eagles justifying the move they wanted to make for attitude and possibly cap reasons.

Which leads me to believe that Chip is just less tolerant of locker room distractions and me first attitudes than Big Red was. This stuff all getting leaked is just the Eagles justifying the move they wanted to make for attitude and possibly cap reasons.

Agree completely. I don't think the "gang connections" had anything or very little to do with the release. The Eagles knew this move would be mostly unpopular with the fans from an on the field perspective at least, so they leaked this information the same day to soften the blow/backlash.

Looks like he is visiting the Redskins. Smart move by his agent. Either the Skins will drive up DJax's cost for other teams, or the Skins will grossly over pay to get him. Personally, I would love for him to be a Skin. Not because I like the Skins (on the contrary), but because the negative drama would be book worthy. That team has no player leader and a new coaching staff.

Looks like he is visiting the Redskins. Smart move by his agent. Either the Skins will drive up DJax's cost for other teams, or the Skins will grossly over pay to get him. Personally, I would love for him to be a Skin. Not because I like the Skins (on the contrary), but because the negative drama would be book worthy. That team has no player leader and a new coaching staff.

I wonder how this move would impact Garcon. That would be two fast recievers on either side, neither particular large. I also think this would hurt Andre Roberts who was just signed this off season. I have Roberts in a dynasty so I am hoping for the skins to settle on the wrs they already have. The skins should pass, unless he comes really cheap. They need more help on defense if they want a chance at beating the Eagles.

i agree about the chance to drive up the price, though im sure the raiders will pay out the wazoo already. im not so sure the skins would break the bank, though they do have 7M in cap space, they haven't been inclined to open the checkbook for anyone since allen has been here. this isn't the snyder skins anymore, though most fans seem to think otherwise still. i think the points you made about the dynamics in the skins locker room are well founded, plus he always seems to want to redo his deal every yr.

the skins only have 1 high pick and a lot of needs, primarily at safety. plus, WR is so deep this yr in the draft. all this adds up to me hating the idea of desean in DC.

I wonder how this move would impact Garcon. That would be two fast recievers on either side, neither particular large. I also think this would hurt Andre Roberts who was just signed this off season. I have Roberts in a dynasty so I am hoping for the skins to settle on the wrs they already have. The skins should pass, unless he comes really cheap. They need more help on defense if they want a chance at beating the Eagles.

it would for sure hurt garcon. he's a good player and was great signing by the FO, but let's face it, his receptions were largley due to lack of pass catching options. once reed went down, garcon was pretty much last man standing. it also makes the roberts signing an afterthought.

with all that said, if it did happen, the O would be crazy to watch.

i agree about the chance to drive up the price, though im sure the raiders will pay out the wazoo already. im not so sure the skins would break the bank, though they do have 7M in cap space, they haven't been inclined to open the checkbook for anyone since allen has been here. this isn't the snyder skins anymore, though most fans seem to think otherwise still. i think the points you made about the dynamics in the skins locker room are well founded, plus he always seems to want to redo his deal every yr.

the skins only have 1 high pick and a lot of needs, primarily at safety. plus, WR is so deep this yr in the draft. all this adds up to me hating the idea of desean in DC.

I'm not sure that "this isn't the Snyder Skins" comment is necessarily true. The RG3 trade sure smelled like a Snyder type move. Give up an unreasonable amount to get a star player instead of building depth with low cost draft picks. True, it wasn't over paying cash for a sought after Free Agent, but it is still over paying a big name player. This time with picks instead of cash.

That said, I don't think the Skins have the cap space to make this move, but I wouldn't doubt that they are willing to twist things around to get him.

I'm not sure that "this isn't the Snyder Skins" comment is necessarily true. The RG3 trade sure smelled like a Snyder type move. Give up an unreasonable amount to get a star player instead of building depth with low cost draft picks. True, it wasn't over paying cash for a sought after Free Agent, but it is still over paying a big name player. This time with picks instead of cash.

That said, I don't think the Skins have the cap space to make this move, but I wouldn't doubt that they are willing to twist things around to get him.

fair point about the rg3 trade. i can see it both ways.

If you do not want to play for the Skins then do not visit the team. If you do, it's generally a done deal.

If you do not want to play for the Skins then do not visit the team. If you do, it's generally a done deal.

ok. then how do you explain the laundry list of players who were at ashburn this offseason and left w/o a contract? hell, one of them even signed elsewhere why he was at ashburn.

DJax should play for the Skins, they could use a more dysfunctional approach. :thumbsup:

ok. then how do you explain the laundry list of players who were at ashburn this offseason and left w/o a contract? hell, one of them even signed elsewhere why he was at ashburn.

They all weren't DJax.

DJax should play for the Skins, they could use a more dysfunctional approach. :thumbsup:

They just got new management team. Hopefully they are getting better.

If this becomes official, it should be a very explosive offense with RGIII, Garcon, DJax, Jordan Reed, Alfred Morris and Helu.

Explosive is one adjective. With RG3 being a one read QB and the dysfunction of the rest of the team... This is going to be a show.

At least we know Danny is still in fact playing fantasy football.

The Skins have the cap space. I expect a signing to happen before 5pm. I he leaves the building unsigned he's a Raider.

Explosive is one adjective. With RG3 being a one read QB and the dysfunction of the rest of the team... This is going to be a show.

At least we know Danny is still in fact playing fantasy football.

your smarter than that, ive seen you posts. do i have re-evaluate our relationship?

If this becomes official, it should be a very explosive offense with RGIII, Garcon, DJax, Jordan Reed, Alfred Morris and Helu.

and andre roberts in the slot. ill miss santana moss though.

and andre roberts in the slot. ill miss santana moss though.

Yea, I like Andre Roberts too. Kind of suprised they want DJax with Garcon and Andre Roberts, but without a decent WR3 I guess it makes sense to put Andre Roberts in the slot IF they get DJax.

your smarter than that, ive seen you posts. do i have re-evaluate our relationship?

I have a strong opinion on how teams are built successfully. Over paying for big names is not included in any of the steps. Yes DJax will most likely make the Skins better on offense, but the cost is too great for a team with too many holes. More importantly, they are bringing in a guy with potential instabilities and the team has no player leadership and a new coaching staff. Unstable people shouldn't date. Same goes with football.

If you comment was with Danny playing Fantasy... I don't buy that he is out of the loop with player decisions. He has gotten much better with his PR and has convinced the fans that he is out of the picture, but they are still making the same old off season moves that they always have.

I'd like to see the Browns sign him. Tate, Gordon, Jackson, and Cameron would be a pretty lethal offence if Hoyer plays like he did last year. Or the Brownies have 2 first rounders to get a future qb. I'm pulling for the Browns.

I have a strong opinion on how teams are built successfully. Over paying for big names is not included in any of the steps. Yes DJax will most likely make the Skins better on offense, but the cost is too great for a team with too many holes. More importantly, they are bringing in a guy with potential instabilities and the team has no player leadership and a new coaching staff. Unstable people shouldn't date. Same goes with football.

If you comment was with Danny playing Fantasy... I don't buy that he is out of the loop with player decisions. He has gotten much better with his PR and has convinced the fans that he is out of the picture, but they are still making the same old off season moves that they always have.

i 100% agree with you on djax. im taking a beating over at that other bored in the skins thread for not being on board with the idea as well.

my comment was meant in regards to what you ref second, little strong form y liking, i get it tho. we'll agree to disagree there.

with that said, you are back on my approved posters list now though for offering some understanding to your thoughts. :thumbsup: