Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Pats pass the Blount to Steelers

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said earlier this week he wanted a veteran running back to provide depth behind second-year starter Le’Veon Bell. Friday afternoon, Tomlin got his wish when LeGarrette Blount signed a two-year contract worth $3.85 million.

The Steelers did not renegotiate any contracts to sign Blount, who received a $950,000 signing bonus. That means the Steelers are at or near the NFL-mandated $133 million salary cap limit for next season. They were a little more than $1 million under the cap Friday afternoon before Blount signed and likely are paying him a smaller salary in his first season with a bigger salary in 2015.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2014/03/28/Steelers-agree-to-contract-with/stories/201403280194

I have Bell in one dynasty league and am a little concerned about what this means for his value.

On the other hand the owners of other Patriots RBs have to be pleased, especially with how well Blount ran in the post season. I own Vereen in one league so I don't think this has much impact on him, but the Ridley owners have got to be pleased with Blount leaving.

Vereen is the guy to own. If he can stay healthy (big if) he will be a PPR star and pretty solid in standard leagues

Vereen is the guy to own. If he can stay healthy (big if) he will be a PPR star and pretty solid in standard leagues

I hope your right. When he came back from his injury he had an immediate ppr impact but tapered a little as the season went on.

Maybe. But given his injury problems, and the way Belichick plays things, I think throwing a later pick at Ridley might be the way to go. Especially if Vareen gets hyped like he did last year, and Ridley becomes an afterthought at draft time.

Maybe. But given his injury problems, and the way Belichick plays things, I think throwing a later pick at Ridley might be the way to go. Especially if Vareen gets hyped like he did last year, and Ridley becomes an afterthought at draft time.

If Vereen gets hyped up to an early pick then I agree. I'm thinking people will shy away from him due to injuries and fading down the stretch last year, but if people are extrapolating out over 16 games and then drafting him for that then I do think he will be overvalued.

i like vereen alot going into this next season in ppr leagues . even if blount stayed . i like blount going to the steelers really gives the steelers another guy at rb they can count on . but i think it has to knock the stock of bell down just some spots down cause blount will get touches and at 250 lbs the goalline touches imo

This move is significant in that Kevin Faulk should now see more touches on third down next season. He is the guy that kinda gets left out of this discussion but could be a sneaky late round draft pick ... Tons of upside there IMO.

Lol at topic title and tus last post!!

I know, everyone knows Craig James is the one who will benefit.

Damn the Patriots are stingy. I can't believe they couldn't match those numbers for Blount considering the type of year he had. Now they are going back to Ridley when they acted like they couldn't trust him the last half of the year? Doesn't make sense.

Didn't Faulk retire?

He was being facetious. One of the many on going board jokes. Im sure you have seen the tommy maddox rant? Cj spiller will run till he pukes may be the newest one.

• Like 1

Damn the Patriots are stingy. I can't believe they couldn't match those numbers for Blount considering the type of year he had. Now they are going back to Ridley when they acted like they couldn't trust him the last half of the year? Doesn't make sense.

Clearly they weren't that in to him. I think they also don't value the RB position very highly. Another issue is that Vereen, Ridley and Bolden are all free agents after this next season so the Pats don't want to set the tone of "paying" for RBs.

This move is significant in that Kevin Faulk should now see more touches on third down next season. He is the guy that kinda gets left out of this discussion but could be a sneaky late round draft pick ... Tons of upside there IMO.

Meth....not even once.

Hmmmm... Rumors are that Chris Johnson will be released this week. I wonder if he likes clam chowda.

only if he likes playing the league minimum.