Sign in to follow this  
Phurfur

Jerry Jones and why the Cowboy fans are their own worst enemy

The Cowboys have finished 8-8 the last three seasons, and was 6-10 in the season before that. The team has yet to make the playoffs under coach Jason Garrett, who took over for Wade Phillips in 2010.

And while the postseason is presumably the goal, owner and general manager Jerry Jones likes to take the glass-half-full perspective when talking about his team.

During a Sunday conference announcing that AT&T Stadium would host the 50th annual Academy of Country Music Awards in April 2015, Jones had this to say about the Cowboys' incredible popularity despite, you know, all the mediocrity.

As you know, the Cowboys have not gone to the playoffs in several years, Jones said, via the Dallas Morning News. We have not gone, yet we're the most popular TV show there is on television. We lead all teams in TV ratings. We lead, 24 of the last top 25 shows were NFL games, and any time your Cowboys play they're up there at the top and leading. Now, what causes that? What causes that is creating some aura, creating some excitement. We want to use that as best we can to make this award show the greatest ever.

This is the man responsible for putting together the Cowboys' roster. It's also the very same man who admitted earlier this year that "When I look back on it, we probably paid some people that we probably would have been better off not paying."

But don't be distracted by all the losing. The ratings are through the roof!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24520266/jerry-jones-no-playoffs-but-cowboys-most-popular-tv-show

One thing that does factor in is that a large number of NFL Fans tune in to watch the Cowboys fail.

Why are they so popular? I dont get it. they havent been good since aikman.

Because of their webthite?

www.cowboys.com

:dunno:

The Cowboys have finished 8-8 the last three seasons, and was 6-10 in the season before that. The team has yet to make the playoffs under coach Jason Garrett, who took over for Wade Phillips in 2010.

And while the postseason is presumably the goal, owner and general manager Jerry Jones likes to take the glass-half-full perspective when talking about his team.

During a Sunday conference announcing that AT&T Stadium would host the 50th annual Academy of Country Music Awards in April 2015, Jones had this to say about the Cowboys' incredible popularity despite, you know, all the mediocrity.

As you know, the Cowboys have not gone to the playoffs in several years, Jones said, via the Dallas Morning News. We have not gone, yet we're the most popular TV show there is on television. We lead all teams in TV ratings. We lead, 24 of the last top 25 shows were NFL games, and any time your Cowboys play they're up there at the top and leading. Now, what causes that? What causes that is creating some aura, creating some excitement. We want to use that as best we can to make this award show the greatest ever.

This is the man responsible for putting together the Cowboys' roster. It's also the very same man who admitted earlier this year that "When I look back on it, we probably paid some people that we probably would have been better off not paying."

But don't be distracted by all the losing. The ratings are through the roof!

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24520266/jerry-jones-no-playoffs-but-cowboys-most-popular-tv-show

One thing that does factor in is that a large number of NFL Fans tune in to watch the Cowboys fail.

lol awsome

JJ would be under immense pressure if Cowboy fans knew anything about football. He will never be under immense pressure.

• Like 1

JJ would be under immense pressure if Cowboy fans knew anything about football. He will never be under immense pressure.

They are the cubs fans of football.

Why are they so popular? I dont get it. they havent been good since aikman.

I think the cheerleaders make fans of some who would not otherwise be fans. :)

They are the cubs fans of football.

I wouldn't say that. Most Cowboys fans HATE JJ. They've hated him since he ran Jimmy Johnson out of town. Cubs fans can't recall the last time they won anything significant. For that matter, neither can anyone else. lol I'll agree on one thing, they must put something in the water in Texas. The die-hard Cowboys fans I know preach eternal optimism. They truly believe, every year, that this is THE year. I didn't know the human heart could break that many times before stopping for good....

Jones is a train wreck. This is why we all love football though. The richest men in America can't buy a title. To win, they have give up some pride and allow the coaches and GM's to do their job. Seattle is a great example. Without a salary cap, nobody could touch Paul Allen in terms of the money he could spend. He has always hired good coaches, good GM's and been willing to gamble when the time is right. He is smart enough to know you win by having the best minds on your side, not the biggest wallet. Jerry Jones will ALWAYS be the smartest man in the room simply because he will never allow anyone in the room with him.

It is painful being a Cowboy's fan sometimes, but their tendency to play up/down to their level of competition at least means that the games are usually fairly entertaining.

Sure, it's not what it was with Aikman, Smith & Irvin. But it could be Cleveland or Oakland.

I used to hate on Jerry all the time, but I don't see it changing any time soon. I just try to enjoy good football when I see it & maybe the team will get lucky with a few prospects or when they do make the playoffs go on a crazy run like the Giants *shrugs*

Jerry started out with the best of intentions - he truly wanted to win and he truly cared about football. Now Jerry is consumed with his stadium and he is completely intoxicated with booking it for outside events. He has turned into the Don King of football. Jerry is not longer a legit football owner, Jerry is a full time promoter.