Sign in to follow this  
Kopy

EJ Manuel

How would you guys compare Manuel to this years crop of rookies?

The Manziels, Bortles, Bridgewaters and so on.

Is he just as good as this new class. Even better because he already has a year under his belt. Or is there a kid this year that's just a flat out more talented QB than him?

• Like 1

I think Manuel has more talent around him than any of these rookies will have. Woods, Williams and Johnson to go along with Jackson & Spiller. They are likely taking a TE in the first two rounds as well.... That said, his mechanics are not great and I think he was overdrafted last season. Most Scouts and Mock Drafts had him as a 2nd rounder. The Bills didn't want to miss out on him. I think there are several guys I would take over Manuel in this class, even some that are projected to go much later than round one. I think with Manuel, what you see is what you get. His upside is limited and I think he will always be an erratic passer. He can look great and pretty lousy, all on the same drive. I think in the long-haul, he's an above average QB, but nothing special. In this years crop, it would not shock me a couple of the guys really took off, but it may be the guys drafted later that have an opportunity to sit and learn for a year or two.

I like all of the top 5 guys better than Manuel, but you don't know who they are going to or how they will be developed yet. I also like some of the lesser known guys.... I would say Manuel's floor is the same as theirs, but his upside isn't nearly as high.

I think in the long-haul, he's an above average QB, but nothing special.

I hope I have your confidence. I currently have him as backup in a dynasty league. Frankly I don't think he's worth a roster spot for a backup QB fantasy wise.

To answer the original question, I rated all top 3 QB this year above him. Manuel was overdrafted, he not graded to be a first rounder.

• Like 1

I hope I have your confidence. I currently have him as backup in a dynasty league. Frankly I don't think he's worth a roster spot for a backup QB fantasy wise.

To answer the original question, I rated all top 3 QB this year above him. Manuel was overdrafted, he not graded to be a first rounder.

amen

• Like 1

Live in Bills country. Bills fans aren't worried about his rookie season nor in love with it. Those who can take the blinders off will say that aren't crazy about Manuel. I wasn't that impressed. Bills fans will chalk it up to rookie season and that is fair, but in today's NFL you can look talented as a rookie. He looked like a decent QB but no real flare or skills that stood out. Not that accurate. Afraid to throw the deep ball. Athletic but nothing that blew anyone away. I see a Josh Freeman skillset.

his comparable QBs would include guys like Ponder, Cassel, Jeff Blake, Garrard, Locker, Colt McCoy, Jason Campbell, Shaun King, Jake Plummer, Byron Leftwich. At the top end his comps stretch to Donovan McNabb, Jay Cutler and Steve McNair.

so there's a reasonable chance he has a few years of being a starter, but the odds of him turning out to be 'great' are pretty slim.

Watkins is the best WR to come out sicne Megatron so If he can't be great with Sammy he just is not good at all.

One would thank so . With the two rb's they have and now you have Watkins and Woods on the outside with S Johnson in the slot .

Live in Bills country. Bills fans aren't worried about his rookie season nor in love with it. Those who can take the blinders off will say that aren't crazy about Manuel. I wasn't that impressed. Bills fans will chalk it up to rookie season and that is fair, but in today's NFL you can look talented as a rookie. He looked like a decent QB but no real flare or skills that stood out. Not that accurate. Afraid to throw the deep ball. Athletic but nothing that blew anyone away. I see a Josh Freeman skillset.

Ouch! Comparing Manuel to Freeman? Not a good thing.

Bills should have went johnny football. E.J. when he's not hurt,can't play..not impressed

not sure on how good manuel really is, he was hurt a lot last year and the bills, i believe, led the league in rush attempts.

I dont think buffalo let him do much as a passer. but this year they will turn him loose.

manual has a better arm than bortels and can run. bortles is in Jax, I anit hitching my wagon to Jax'

bridgewater, he didnt do good in drills, but might be a player when the game starts. he has c.patterson, peterson and a good TE.

manziel, looks like hoyer will start, and they need josh gordon to stop smoking weed

E.J. started off the year alright before injuries set in. I think you have to give him another shot or two before saying he "can't play".

• Like 1

Bills should have went johnny football. E.J. when he's not hurt,can't play..not impressed

After one year, EJ is not the guy. Ok...

E.J. started off the year alright before injuries set in. I think you have to give him another shot or two before saying he "can't play".

Correct.

With Sammy he has a guy he can just throw screens to and create big plays -- he just better not get Sammy hurt -- Sammy watkins is a BETTER version of Steve Smith

I know it has only been one year but I think that EJ Manuel is a player that looks the part but doesn't have all the traits needed to be a successful NFL QB.He seems to break down under pressure and has poor judgement and mechanics. His first year numbers are very close to the numbers Tannehill put up his first year.

The other surprising thing about EJ is that he doesn't put up the rushing numbers that you would expect. He rushed 56 times at 3.6 ypc and it doesn't look like he busted any long runs. I would have expected he could have gotten into the secondary and been tough to bring down.

After one year, EJ is not the guy. Ok...

yea after a year, where you at?

Orton didn't have a preseason nor training camp and is twice the QB EJ is right now.

yea after a year, where you at?

Orton didn't have a preseason nor training camp and is twice the QB EJ is right now.

That's debatable, their career stats are almost identical.

• Like 1

going FSU for your franchise qb is almost as bad as going USC for your franchise qb...almost

only to someone who only stats (and some of the most misleading stats too boot) and not the eye test. Do you not see a theme here of Bills fans, who watch the games, all having the same opinion and then there's you.

only to someone who only stats (and some of the most misleading stats too boot) and not the eye test. Do you not see a theme here of Bills fans, who watch the games, all having the same opinion and then there's you.

Well I guess that seals the deal then, it's not open to debate, ffexpert and the other 2 bills fans who post here say so. <_<

Why do bad teams continue to draft QBs that will NEVER play well for them?

if you have a sh1t franchise, reaching for a QB will never, ever work

Cool story bro.

Do you watch Bills games? I do. Orton had no preseason no training camp. Was tossed in vs a hot defense at theit place in a dome. Threw for 308 first time bills had a 300 yard passer since 2011. The passing game looked like offense rather than a burden. EJ Manuel is awful right now. His own coach in college is reported yo have said he is not an nfl qb. His own coach!!! Was over drafted by a full 2 rounds according to many football people.

Cool story bro.

Do you watch Bills games? I do. Orton had no preseason no training camp. Was tossed in vs a hot defense at theit place in a dome. Threw for 308 first time bills had a 300 yard passer since 2011. The passing game looked like offense rather than a burden. EJ Manuel is awful right now. His own coach in college is reported yo have said he is not an nfl qb. His own coach!!! Was over drafted by a full 2 rounds according to many football people.

I'm aware of all that, particularly the coach saying EJ wasn't NFL ready (which these supposed Bills experts didn't even know about?) in fact I posted that in the other 3 page thread about Kyle Orton. I mean we are talking about the guy who lost his job to Tim Tebow here...

It's 1 game, where he was fairly efficient. Let's see how he does against the Pats next week.

I'm aware of all that, particularly the coach saying EJ wasn't NFL ready (which these supposed Bills experts didn't even know about?) in fact I posted that in the other 3 page thread about Kyle Orton. I mean we are talking about the guy who lost his job to Tim Tebow here...

It's 1 game, where he was fairly efficient. Let's see how he does against the Pats next week.

I am beginning to think either Orton or a bills fan stole your girlfriend.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000406584/article/jimbo-fisher-denies-badmouthing-ej-manuel-to-nfl-teams

also, seems that story is bogus fwiw.

I am beginning to think either Orton or a bills fan stole your girlfriend.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000406584/article/jimbo-fisher-denies-badmouthing-ej-manuel-to-nfl-teams

also, seems that story is bogus fwiw.

Uh no, I've yet to actually meet another Bills fan here, they seem to be very few and far between...I wonder why... :shocking:

Sounds like backpedaling to me.

Uh no, I've yet to actually meet another Bills fan here, they seem to be very few and far between...I wonder why... :shocking:

Sounds like backpedaling to me.

Sure you have - they are the ones who keep telling you that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Sure you have - they are the ones who keep telling you that you have no idea what you are talking about.

Right. That's your opinion, you know what they say about those.

Right. That's your opinion, you know what they say about those.

Seems to be a popular one, so perhaps you should take heed.

It's partly about Orton - with his sorry arse Joe Dirt look, and his paunch - outperforming Manuel right out of the gate, and it's partly about HIS TEAM actually being relieved that Manuel hit the end of the bench, and playing better as a result. It's the high of the recognition of the need for change. Will it last? Probably not long; Orton is only a passable passer - but wherever they settle, it will be better than where they can go with Manuel. He sucks cork, and his team knew it.