Sign in to follow this  
Mike MacGregor

Unreadable content error

It has come to our attention that a some people who are using Windows 7 and usually Excel 2010 are getting an unreadable content error when opening Draft Buddy. The error message does not give any more detail than that, but it does give the option for Excel to try to recover or fix it. Most people click Yes, but I believe this will fail most if not every time.

For some unknown reason, we have had the best success from people simply downloading the file again. No error, and they are good to go. So, if you get this error, please try downloading one more time and see if that works.

One customer copied the file onto and opened it in Excel off a USB drive, and that corrected the issue. Like I said, this is a strange one to pin down.

Also, I was hoping this would no longer be an issue going forward. I stopped saving Draft Buddy on my Windows 7 machine for the newer versions of Excel (Windows 7 seems to be the main culprit). If you still experience this error message after downloading a second time, let us know and we'll do everything we can to resolve it.

If interested, here is a message board post I found via a Google search about this issue:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-CA/exceldev/thread/69434b37-a3ed-4970-a929-89e03ee01aaf

More people have run into this issue this week so I wanted to bump this to the top.

Someone else came up with a solution (?) today in that they downloaded it to a different computer (a Mac), never even opened the file on this computer, but immediately emailed it to the Windows 7 computer that was causing problems, and then it worked.

Another user basically got it to work with persistence downloading and trying to open it multiple times. This is one annoying issue, but at least there are a handful of ideas to try if you experience this.

Mike, I saw that this problem cropped up last year and I'm now receiving this error with the draft buddy that I just downloaded this week. After enabling macros, the following error is presented: "Excel could not open draft_buddy_football_2013_1.0.xlsm because some content is unreadable. Do you want to open and repair this workbook?" When I click "yes" the workbook opens, but I am unable to do anything, including updates on projections.

I've downloaded the file twice and both times had the same problem. I'm running Excel for Mac 2011 and Mac OSX 10.8.4

Has anyone else reported this? Help, and thanks...

No one else has reported this bluegold. I was hoping it was a thing of the past. Email me and we'll see what we can work out. Probably start with me emailing you the file or one I've been using and we'll see if that works.

Same issue here using Excel 2011ver 14.3.6 on 2.7ghz i7 Powerbook running OS X 10.8.4

"Excel could not open draft_buddy_football_2013_1.0.xlsm because some content is unreadable. Do you want to open and repair this workbook?"

Tried re-downloading 5 times over the last couple of weeks, downloaded the xls version, copied to a usb drive and tried opening from there, downloaded with Safari and Firefox, still receive error.

Got your email and shot you one back with an attached file to try out. Did you get it?

I got the copy you emailed and got a DLL error trying to compile the copy you emailed me.
I got it working by re-installing Microsoft office.
I think there was a problem with my VBA that was causing the macros not to work.
I then re-downloaded a fresh copy of Draft buddy and it works perfectly, projections updated, cheat sheets compiled.

Thanks for all your support!

• Like 1

Excellent. Nice job. Glad you got it to work.

I've tried downloading several times and i always get the unreadable content error. i'm using a mac with a 2 year old excel version i tried downloading both several times. Dale

Hi Dale. This continued again this year for a few people, and although I hate to suggest this, we did find a solution that has to this point proven 100% effective. That is to reinstall Mac Office from the original discs. Even though your Mac Office is probably telling you it is up to date, there is something wrong with it causing this error. There is nothing I can change in Draft Buddy.

I had a customer as recently as yesterday reinstall Mac Office and he reported back that did the trick for him. Like I said, obviously not ideal, but it is the best solution. Do you have the original discs for your Mac Office?

Here is some more detail on this issue specific to Mac Office 2011 users that I recently came across. It supports the idea that Office needs to be removed and then reinstalled for it to work.