Sign in to follow this  
Cretins

yet another keeper question

I can't believe how much this has been preying at my mind since the end of last year.

We keep 4, and I keep flipping between 6 guys in my head. The more I think about it, the harder it gets.

ADP - round 1

Gio Bernard - round 5

Zac Stacey - round 9*

Alshon Jeffery - round 9*

Nick Foles - round 9*

Antonio Brown - round 10

9* is where undrafted players land. If you want to keep two, one gets bumped up to round 8. So if I were to keep Foles and Stacey, Stacey would be bumped up to round 8 with Foles at 9. All three would end up as Stacey @ 7, Jeffery @ 8 and Foles @ 9.

Individual comments:

- Dropping ADP may actually be an option because of some of the players being forced back into the pool (i.e. Charles), but I doubt I'm going to end up with a good enough draft spot to make it worthwhile.

- I'm a Bengals fan so I'm probably being biased, but I loved what I saw last year. With the news that BGE has been running with the third team so far, Gio seems even more appealing

- Stacey was awesome down the stretch and comes at a nice price, but I dont have as much faith as some seem to have in him. I was high on him at the end of the season, but seem to be cooling on him. Likely have to keep an eye on what the Rams are doing throughout the summer.

- Alshon was showing flashes of brilliance here and there. Paired with Marshall they're arguably the best WR duo in the league. Not sure about trusting Cutler to consistently get it to him. Was last year a fluke?

- I liked Foles at the end of 2012, but when Vick was given the starting role I skipped on drafting him late. Damn. QBS are very valuable in this league (6 points/TD). When half a dozen (or more) QBs are typically kept, getting him in round 9 is pretty sweet.

- Antonio Brown has been solid for me for a couple of years, yet somehow the idea of keeping him doesn't excite me anymore. I prefer the idea of keeping Jeffery, but he would cost me two rounds earlier (based on the fact I expect to keep Foles). Brown would also be forced back into the pool after this year.

In the end I think ADP and Foles are going to be givens. Then the question will likely end up Gio vs. Stacey and Jeffery vs. Brown. Based on rounds the math says Stacey and Brown, but I think I prefer Gio and Jeffery.

Then there's the ADP, Gio, Stacey, Foles option to go RB heavy and hit WRs hard early in the draft. Argh!

Outside observations are always appreciated!

The above doesn't take into consideration the possibility of Ben Tate @ 7 or Joique Bell @ 9*. I don't think either really enter into the conversation compared to the ones above.

Cretins,

A lot of "what ifs". First and foremost...keep ADP, unless you can get a worthwhile trade. Try this perspective...

Which player(s) would you feel worse about if they WERE NOT on your team? Example: you are torn between Gio and Stacey. It seems you would feel worse if you chose Stacey over Gio and Gio went on to perform well. Especially because of your emotional ties to the Bengals.

My perspective...Brown and Jeffery had basically the same fantasy production last year. Brown has done this for more than one season, will Jeffery? Also, with Cutler back in the mix, will he continue to favor Marshall? Think Brown is the way to go and won't cost you to lose two rounds.

hows the QB scoring? i likely wouldn't keep Foles if there is any chance I could turn around and draft another startable QB.

Antonio Brown is a no brainer for a 10th round pick. That is insane value considering his ADP is roughly 2.11

Gio sounds like a favorite player of yours and 5th is good value. I'd keep him.

If you keep Peterson for your 1st, there is no reason to keep Stacy.

that leaves it up to Jeffery and Foles. I would keep Jeffery for the 9th.

Peterson, Gio, Brown and Jeffery plus rounds 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8. Thats a pretty nice team right there. Im sure you can land a QB just slightly below Foles.

alternatively, if you can map out what will be there in round 1 and where you will pick, you could consider dropping Peterson and keeping Foles for the 8th. Like if you were picking 2nd and Charles was available. You could drop Peterson knowing at worst you would get him back. Doesn't sound like you would have 2nd pick but if you can map out the best players left and what might fall to you in round 1.....

Thanks guys.

Unfortunately we don't have off season trading (although that's a discussion topic that I want to bring up this year), so I don't get any value for ADP if I don't keep him. With 40 players off the board to start and only a couple of big names being forces back into the pool (Jamaal Charles, Drew Brees), I'm not going to get anyone near ADP's calibre in the first round if I don't keep him.

As for the QB question, they're valuable in our league with 6 points/TD. They're always the top scorers and at least half a dozen are kept every year. QB pickings are very thin by the 9th round.

I also misremembered Brown's round .. I can keep him for a 13th round. I grabbed him really late a few years back. No way I can consider not keeping him this year for round 13 (he's forced back into the pool next year).

So that pretty much leaves me with ADP, Brown and Foles with a battle for the last spot between Gio, Stacey and Jeffery.

Really kind of annoyed that the guy that drafted Jeffery in the 15th dropped him early last year without looking for a trade. He would have been worth a 14th round this year if he hadn't been dropped!

BTW, smacdatty makes a good point about Cutler. Now that I think back to it, some of Jeffery's best games were with McCown throwing the ball. Cutler really had a preference for Marshall.

There is still no way i keep Foles over Jeffery or stacy. 6 put passing td is still the rule for all qbs. I'd just draft a Romo or cutler

ADP

Brown

Jeffery

Gio

QB is deep, and once you get past the top 3 of Manning / Brees / Rodgers, pretty interchangeable. Stacy may be a better value than Gio, but go with your guy... with 40 players being kept, there's not enough difference in their draft positions to keep the guy you don't want over the one you do.

No mention of how many teams, position requirements, PPR or not...

Unless it's start 2 QB, the answer is ADP, A.Brown, A.Jeffrey, Gio in that order. Only P.Manning was a significant advantage last year and that was rare for a QB.

ADP

Brown

Jeffery

Gio

QB is deep, and once you get past the top 3 of Manning / Brees / Rodgers, pretty interchangeable. Stacy may be a better value than Gio, but go with your guy... with 40 players being kept, there's not enough difference in their draft positions to keep the guy you don't want over the one you do.

I think that this is your best set of options....I think Foles falls into mid tier QBS and there are a lot...

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=434191