Sign in to follow this  
Fireballer

GA Tech student shot and killed by campus police

He reportedly refused to drop a knife(ended up being a?multi tool) and advanced towards them. Also witnesses state he's saying "shoot me" or something similiar. Not that this is anything to take lightly, but man,college police shooting a gay student will definitely fire some folks up.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/tech-student-shot-officer-killed-campus/cU4dldHd4sCKYS5tjmGIaN/amp.html

http://m.facebook.com/GTProgressiveStudentAlliance/posts/325936141203800?refsrc=http%3A%2F%2Fd-12490546104253600652.ampproject.net%2F1505341213754%2Fframe.html

Kinda looks to me like the problem was the police ever drawing their guns in the first place.

I dunno, hindsight it 20/20 and you're not there... and we didn't see the lead-up... but man it just doesn't look like anyone was leaving that area seriously hurt unless the police drew their guns. Which they did.

They need to train other ways to diffuse these situations, imo

I don't know. I don't understand why cops can't use non lethal force in situations like this. Why not mace it?

The dude has previously proven he has a screw loose but seems that could have been handled without someone dying.

I don't know. I don't understand why cops can't use non lethal force in situations like this. Why not mace it?

The dude has previously proven he has a screw loose but seems that could have been handled without someone dying.

I know not all situations are the same but...I intimately know of a situation where a cop was behind his car and tazed a man approaching him. Cop ended up with a hatchet wound and glass embedded in his face. The suspect ended up getting shot anyway. Im not defending the GA Tech cops, but damn its easy to 2nd guess these guys. Also, I do think all cops should have tasers and use all non lethal means when the situation calls for it.

Eh who cares. Dude shouldn't have done what he did. That's like going up to a bear, poking it with a stick, and saying "eat me" then getting upset the bear ate them

Eh who cares. Dude shouldn't have done what he did. That's like going up to a bear, poking it with a stick, and saying "eat me" then getting upset the bear ate them

Sorta but it's their job to deal with bears. Maybe the kid was drunk or high or going through some kind of psychotic episode. These are all things cops should be able to deal with

Sorta but it's their job to deal with bears. Maybe the kid was drunk or high or going through some kind of psychotic episode. These are all things cops should be able to deal with

No matter how much you train a cop to handle a bear, there comes a time when a bear establishes themselves as enough of a threat that the bear gets shot. Aggressively posturing and moving towards a cop, while armed and saying shoot me, is one of those times. Officer safety is paramount here, as is public safety. Cops dont have the option to simply retreat. If they do, the bear becomes an immediate threat to those in the area. Cops dont have the luxury of looking at this in a vacuum. All that training in case studies of dead cops teaches them to never underestimate a threat.

And sometimes bears are hell bent on sacrificing themselves at the hands of cops. Why would this kid be outside, barefoot with a knife? If hes that out of it, he has lost his ability to properly reason.

No matter how much you train a cop to handle a bear, there comes a time when a bear establishes themselves as enough of a threat that the bear gets shot. Aggressively posturing and moving towards a cop, while armed and saying shoot me, is one of those times. Officer safety is paramount here, as is public safety. Cops dont have the option to simply retreat. If they do, the bear becomes an immediate threat to those in the area. Cops dont have the luxury of looking at this in a vacuum. All that training in case studies of dead cops teaches them to never underestimate a threat.

And sometimes bears are hell bent on sacrificing themselves at the hands of cops. Why would this kid be outside, barefoot with a knife? If hes that out of it, he has lost his ability to properly reason.

None of that is a very compelling case for shooting him versus other options.

Talk him down.

Tase him.

Pepper spray.

Whatever. Didn't seem shooting was really necessary here

That guy was very inconsiderate... Why did he have to go and be obscured by the tree?

None of that is a very compelling case for shooting him versus other options.

Talk him down.

Tase him.

Pepper spray.

Whatever. Didn't seem shooting was really necessary here

Like I said in an earlier post, Im all for non lethal means when its called for and I know a cop that tried to tase an advancing person with a hatchet and got severely wounded. Look at :40 in the video. Those movements get you shot, not tased or sprayed. We have the advantage of watching this shat from our couches at home, not making split second decisions dealing with an armed person telling cops to shoot him.

Half the country is on some sort of psyche med. These people used to be put away. Now they walk amongst us, these things will happen.

• Like 1

Can't wait for the BLM complaints, cause a black guy would have been shot about 42 seconds earlier on average

also, Cops in general from 21 or less feet are injured way more with knives than with any other weapon

also, again could have been avoided if the idiot listened

can't wait for the headline though

SHOT FOR BEING GAY

GLM

The situation could have been handled better. Since it wasn't moving aggressively, most likely in a drugged out haze, it didn't need to get shot. There should be a better way to disarm stupid people.

cant they just tranq em? tazer? big net gun? rubber bullets (although those can kill with a head shot) for chrissakes..they had to see the knife was like 2 inches long max. Slow your roll.

cant they just tranq em? tazer? big net gun? rubber bullets (although those can kill with a head shot) for chrissakes..they had to see the knife was like 2 inches long max. Slow your roll.

Nah. He had a knife. They told him to drop it. He refused and advanced.

Good shoot.

• Like 2

Not making light of the situation, but Im guessing suicide by cop. Couldnt continue to live as a woman in a mans body. Got drunk and high and armed himself to get the cops to shoot.

Nah. He had a knife. They told him to drop it. He refused and advanced.

Good shoot.

Yup.

Not making light of the situation, but Im guessing suicide by cop. Couldnt continue to live as a woman in a mans body. Got drunk and high and armed himself to get the cops to shoot.

You may be correct. It's mom said it had attempted suicide twice.

Third time's the charm.

Wait, so was it a biological dude who wanted to be a woman or vice versa

:dunno: It didn't identify as a woman or man and the reporters are too polite to go into such details.

I'm telling you, we need to institutionalize these people. The psych drugs allow them to function, but if they don't take them it's useless. Thanks big pharma and liberals. It's blood is on your hands, not the campus police.

what's the name of those multi-tools?

always thought those would make for great groomsman gifts.

dammitt. name escapes me.

Swiss army knife

But in Scout's case, it may have been a five in one str@pon, diIdo, pocket puzzy, anal beads, and flashlight.

Leathermen

• Like 1

If you are afraid of a sno flake hippie with a pocket knife 20 feet away law enforcement may not be for you.

So what's your play serpico? You gonna go in and tackle the guy?

One fluke flail and that pocketknife catches your eye, or a good vein, and you are focked.

In this instance, the police did what they are supposed to do. They informed the guy to stand down, he advanced,

They took him out.

It is unreasonable to ask officers to take on more risk than they have to in such situations.

Was suicide by cop anyway. Fock him.

So what's your play serpico? You gonna go in and tackle the guy?

One fluke flail and that pocketknife catches your eye, or a good vein, and you are focked.

In this instance, the police did what they are supposed to do. They informed the guy to stand down, he advanced,

They took him out.

It is unreasonable to ask officers to take on more risk than they have to in such situations.

Was suicide by cop anyway. Fock him.

:overhead: Deadly force warranted for swiss army knife wielding snoflakes who walk within 20 feet of you.

In all the Westerns they can shoot guns out of guys hands. These new cops can't do that kinda stuff?

No way dude, chest or head for anyone with a sharp object within a distance that makes you pee your cop pants.

The situation could have been handled better. Since it wasn't moving aggressively, most likely in a drugged out haze, it didn't need to get shot. There should be a better way to disarm stupid people.

I'm not sure, but a non-lethal shot likely would have worked. Not second guessing, just asking if non-learhal shots are ever warranted?