Sign in to follow this  
ZeroTolerance

CB Sherman out for the season

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21357283/richard-sherman-seattle-seahawks-season-rupturing-achilles-arizona-cardinals

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman will miss the rest of the season after suffering a ruptured Achilles tendon in Thursday night's 22-16 win over the Arizona Cardinals.

• Like 1

Sucks. I don't think it's the end of the world. Of the 3 LOB, I'd say he's the least important. Thomas is the field general, he's the most important. Chancellor is he vocal heart and soul of the defence. Basically, he's the godfather. I'd put him at number 2. But definitely a big blow, that I don't believe the team ever thought they'd have to deal with.

Russ, stay healthy. And Earl, comback soon. The next 2 months depend on it.

Anyone got an idea of how the the injury is with Immediate surgery?

I'm thinking starting the year on the pup list? Maybe see him in week 7?

He won't play for the Seahawks ever again.

He won't play for the Seahawks ever again.

Link, or gut feeling?

I haven't seen any info yet. All I saw was friday as a rest day, then sat he starts seeing doctors.

Link, or gut feeling?

I haven't seen any info yet.

I think it's a little soon after the injury for the team to declare he won't be back with the team

Lots of talk about the team trying to trade him during the past off season.

Just a feeling that he won't be back.

I think it's a little soon after the injury for the team to declare he won't be back with the team

That's why I asked the question. I thought maybe he heard something I didn't.

I guess it's just the keyboard tough guy/ talk just to be cool routine.

I think he gets traded also. He has started to take a lot of plays off, living off of his rep vs performance.

Anyone got an idea of how the the injury is with Immediate surgery?

I'm thinking starting the year on the pup list? Maybe see him in week 7?

achilles are nasty, but his didn't look too bad. i got a grade 2 this summer while doing kendo, was in a boot for a week, rehabbing for 6 weeks, and ready to start working out again after ~2months.

achilles are nasty, but his didn't look too bad. i got a grade 2 this summer while doing kendo, was in a boot for a week, rehabbing for 6 weeks, and ready to start working out again after ~2months.

Ouch. Did they let you at least get some iaido in while rehabbing? You don't need a foot for that :)

Hate to see injuries but they happen. Won't miss his character/personality though. I didn't see him making comments to opposing players as he hobbled off the field. :)

Hate to see injuries but they happen. Won't miss his character/personality though. I didn't see him making comments to opposing players as he hobbled off the field. :)

He's also the guy that just about every coach and every reporter who he's had substantial contact with has said is one of the nicest, most generous and thoughtful people they've met. He's got an on-field persona that certainly doesn't indicate that, to be sure. Bubba Smith was apparently the same way, from what I've heard. A switch flipped when he went on the field.

He's also the guy that just about every coach and every reporter who he's had substantial contact with has said is one of the nicest, most generous and thoughtful people they've met. He's got an on-field persona that certainly doesn't indicate that, to be sure. Bubba Smith was apparently the same way, from what I've heard. A switch flipped when he went on the field.

He seriously doesnt bother me so I dont really care. I guess its just the culture of DBs in football and basketball players. Just so mouthy but if that is part of the fun in their game then so be it. But Green didnt like it so much last week. And I dont like that part of the game but thats my choice to engage or not.

And if they played baseball they would be probably not be like that. ☺

He seriously doesnt bother me so I dont really care. I guess its just the culture if DBs in football and basketball players. Just so mouthy but if that is part of the fun in their game then so be it. But Green didnt like it so much last week. And I dont like that part of the game but thats my choice to engage or not.

And if they played baseball they would be probably not be like that. ☺

Oh and its just not on the field. Its in social media when hes not playing. Etc...

And you will always find players saying whatever jerk in the game who is being asked about that the player in question is the greatest teammate and person on the earth. Who was that Miami O line guy? He got tons of support from teammates.

Ouch. Did they let you at least get some iaido in while rehabbing? You don't need a foot for that :)

MJER iaido is my primary--was doing kendo mainly for cardio and stress relief. couldn't work on iai for about 2 months, and was a mess when i got back in the dojo. am only now getting a little confidence back up, just in time for embu/taikai this weekend.

it's rare to meet someone in the wild who actually knows what iaido is. cheers!

Oh and its just not on the field. Its in social media when hes not playing. Etc...

And you will always find players saying whatever jerk in the game who is being asked about that the player in question is the greatest teammate and person on the earth. Who was that Miami O line guy? He got tons of support from teammates.

I see a ton of Sherman on social media and have no idea what you're talking about. Its okay that you don't like Sherman of course. He's polarizing.

I think he gets traded also. He has started to take a lot of plays off, living off of his rep vs performance.

The last few games (since the Rams game) he was already dealing with an Achilles issue and couldnt plant and make hard cuts. Im not sure hes as good as he once was 2 or so years ago but the stats still say hes pretty good. A top 10 corner still when healthy. Well see if the injury takes him down a notch though.

You might. But I've yet to hear a single teammate, coach, or reporter not say the same thing about Sherman. A guy's life is much more than a couple of 5 second sound bites.

MJER iaido is my primary--was doing kendo mainly for cardio and stress relief. couldn't work on iai for about 2 months, and was a mess when i got back in the dojo. am only now getting a little confidence back up, just in time for embu/taikai this weekend.

it's rare to meet someone in the wild who actually knows what iaido is. cheers!

I knew some kendo and iaido folks back in my martial arts days. Only ever messed around a little myself, enough to know that it was fun but nothing I had the extra time to get good at. I really liked the formalism and ritual of it. I was doing BJJ at the time mostly, so it was very different from where I was, which was cool.

Good luck this weekend, I always liked doing competitive demo sort of stuff.

You might. But I've yet to hear a single teammate, coach, or reporter not say the same thing about Sherman. A guy's life is much more than a couple of 5 second sound bites.

Ok. So when he chased down Brady after a game to taunt him was that during the game?

And at interview he was in a pissing match with a reporter and he called the guy a cretin and that he was going to crush him. Nice way of taking the high road.

In another.interview he bashes Crabtree sayng "I was making sure to let everyone know that Crabtree was a mediocre receiver." Again, keep it on the field clown.

Then when getting into it with Trent Williams, Sherman said "what you goin' do boy?" williams told him he was going to punch him in the face.

Sherman's last words right before he got punched in the face...

"Go on and do it then, boy." Hahaha...

Then when questioned about the challenge of playing against Roddy White. He said, "What challenge?" White scored a 47 yard touchdown over him in an Atlanta victory.

The dude has no class whatsoever on or off the field. Anyone who says he is a great guy are the ones showing some class by not taking it to the media. I won't miss that "entertainment" the rest of this year.

The dude has no class whatsoever on or off the field.

And I'm sure your opinion is the one that should be trusted, given your close contact with him and how much time you spend with the guy. LOL. You have had a window into less than 0.01% of the guy's life, and you're making that kind of judgment.

Okay. Sure thing.

And I'm sure your opinion is the one that should be trusted, given your close contact with him and how much time you spend with the guy. LOL. You have had a window into less than 0.01% of the guy's life, and you're making that kind of judgment.

Okay. Sure thing.

So given your close contact with him and all the time you spend with him your opinion counts how?

At least this is his communication out to the public. Thats closer to the truth than all your personal experience with him on a daily basis.

So given your close contact with him and all the time you spend with him your opinion counts how?

At least this is his communication out to the public. Thats closer to the truth than all your personal experience with him on a daily basis.

I'm not giving my opinion. I'm talking about the stated opinions of all the people who do have close contact with him. :D The whole time, up above, I was not talking about my opinion. I was talking about what coaches, reporters, and teammates have said. The people who are in much more contact with him than you are.

So, here's me. Huh, what should I think about RIchard Sherman?

Option 1) Believe the opinions of the people who spend day after day with him throughout the year,

Option 2) Believe the opinion of a guy who watches Sherman on TV and catches some of his social media.

Tough call.

And to be clear, your argument for why I shouldn't listen to those other opinions is that those other people aren't being honest. And your evidence that they aren't being honest? Simply that they can't be speaking the truth, because they disagree with you. Excellent argument.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So dude, you can ignore anything you want and be blind to what type o person he is, but the facts are the facts.

http://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seahawks/post/_/id/3879/sherman-is-better-man-than-what-you-see

RENTON, Wash. -- Richard Sherman isn't who you think he is.

He isn't any of the awful things he's being called on Twitter these days.

He isn't a gangster or a punk or a moron or a classless jerk.

And, in all honesty, before I became the Seahawks reporter for ESPN.com's NFL Nation this season, I thought a few of those things, too.

Richard Sherman and coach Pete Carroll discussed his actions following the NFC Championship Game. "He's a very thoughtful person," Carroll said, "but he knows he caused a stir." Photo by Steve Dykes/Getty Images

I hadn't met Sherman personally and knew him only from his arrogant ways on national television and his occasional taunting of his opponents. He seemed like one of those pampered professional athletes who cared only about himself.

I'm here to tell you, it just isn't true.

As someone who interacts with Sherman on a regular basis, I can say, unequivocally, that he is as nice a guy as you could ever meet. He goes out of his way to be cooperative and courteous to anyone who needs a moment of his time.

Sherman also is one of the most intelligent young men I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. He is a proud graduate of Stanford, one of the most prestigious academic universities in the world.

He is a rare individual who managed to overcome his station in life, growing up in L.A.'s Compton neighborhood, a place where danger lurks, on every corner, at every moment.

That environment comes with people constantly doubting you, a feeling Sherman knows all too well. So he enters each day wanting to show those doubters they were wrong.

And, sometimes, it gets the best of him, as it did after Sunday's emotional 23-17 victory over the San Francisco 49ers in the NFC Championship Game.

Sherman made the game-saving play at the end, showing his athleticism in tipping away a pass in the end zone intended for 49ers receiver Michael Crabtree, which linebacker Malcolm Smith intercepted for the Seahawks.

That's when Sherman lost his composure in the excitement of the moment. He failed to take the high road and reverted to his bad-boy image.

“I'm the best corner in the game," Sherman yelled in a Fox Sports interview moments after the game. “When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree, that's the result you're gonna get. Don't you ever talk about me. Don't you open your mouth about the best or I'm gonna shut it for you real quick.”

Crabtree had said Sherman wasn't the best cornerback in the league. For Sherman, it was another doubter, something he can't accept.

So Sherman let it fly and fed into all the perceptions people have of him. He apologized on Monday, but probably made a lot of people Broncos fans for the Super Bowl.

That doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things, but it's sad that Sherman's national reputation is so different from the person he is, a truly giving and passionate guy who dedicates himself to underprivileged kids growing up in the same environment he faced. He tells them, "If I can do it, you can do it."

Sherman is an emotional man. Those emotions are heightened in the heat of a game.

“We did sit down and talk about it,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Monday. “I want him to present himself in his best light. He's an incredible kid. He really cares and has great awareness. He's a very thoughtful person, but he knows he caused a stir.

“He was really clear [in their meeting] that the last thing he wanted to do was take something away from what our team has accomplished. He got caught in the throes of the battle, particularly for a guy who plays on such an edge, emotionally, like Richard does.”

One of the many things I have learned in more than 30 years of covering sports is that an athlete's public image often differs enormously from who he or she is away from the public eye.

An athlete can come across as Santa Claus when the camera lights are on but be closer to the Grinch when no cameras are around.

Sherman is the opposite side of that equation, an ogre to some in his national persona but a man you would be proud to call your friend if you knew him away from the limelight.

Sherman made a mistake Sunday night, but he isn't the person you think he is.

So dude, you can ignore anything you want and be blind to what type o person he is, but the facts are the facts.

Keep posting individual instances, and keep proclaiming, post after post, time and time again, how "He seriously doesnt bother me so I dont really care." And I'll keep referring to the opinions of the people who actually know him.

In fact, the more you keep trying to convince me that he's a horrible person "on and off the field", the clearer it is how much he doesn't really bother you and you don't really care.

In fact, the more you keep trying to convince me that he's a horrible person "on and off the field", the clearer it is how much he doesn't really bother you and you don't really care.

Why don't you then comment on how he treated an everyday person like the cop in my previous story and point how how great he acts towards what he perceives are lesser people than him that "don't deserve to watch the greatness that was him.". The article you posted was from a Seahawks reporter. All home town reporters watch their step on what they say.

My example was from an average person doing his job in the community who was simply berated by Sherman. The real regular everyday guy that is Sherman.

Why don't you then comment on how he treated an everyday person like the cop in my previous story and point how how great he acts towards what he perceives are lesser people than him that "don't deserve to watch the greatness that was him.". The article you posted was from a Seahawks reporter. All home town reporters watch their step on what they say.

My example was from an average person doing his job in the community who was simply berated by Sherman. The real regular everyday guy that is Sherman.

Sure thing. Okay. You know Richard Sherman better than his teammates and coaches and people who report on him and actually talk to him.

Okay.

#confirmationbias

Sure thing. Okay. You know Richard Sherman better than his teammates and coaches and people who report on him and actually talk to him.

Okay.

Ok. So if you played football you would you act like that if a cop asked you not to jaywalk. You would say:

you know that I own [expletive] Seattle, and any [expletive] street I want to cross I can, no matter where I decide to [expletive] cross it.’”

and

just go eat some [expletive] donuts.

and you would tell him that

you are doing better in life than him, and say that he shouldn’t even watch a Seattle game again, because he didn’t deserve to witness the ‘greatness’ that you are on a football field.”

Not to mention the guys job is to protect the public.

This simple daily interaction outside of the camera's and media is what really shows who a guy is. Not his image handling team managing how he looks in the public eye.

And this is what you admire. Sherman is a spoiled entertainer is all.

Ok. So if you played football you would you act like that if a cop asked you not to jaywalk. You would say:

you know that I own [expletive] Seattle, and any [expletive] street I want to cross I can, no matter where I decide to [expletive] cross it.’”

and

just go eat some [expletive] donuts.

and tell him that

you are doing better in life than him, and say that he shouldn’t even watch a Seattle game again, because he didn’t deserve to witness the ‘greatness’ that you are on a football field.”

This simple daily interaction outside of the camera's and media is what really shows who a guy is. Not his image handling team managing how he looks in the public eye.

And this is what you admire.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I have never said anything about admiring. Not at all.

Look, it's clear that you enjoy believing that many football players are 'thugs' and bad guys. You talk about it here all the time. I'm not sure why, what exactly sort of good feelings you get out of it. But it's clear--you want these guys to be thugs. Like much of modern society, you want to believe that you can make reliable calls about the character of people you don't know and barely know anything about--yes, we barely know anything about any of these players' lives. We have snapshots. And you really like making wholesale, negative judgments about them. I get it.

So go on believing that. It's clear you do care about this topic a lot, it's in fact very important to you--important enough to post about how someone is a 'thug' every single time someone does anything you don't like. So believe it.

Just don't try to get me to believe the same stuff based on the terrible sort of evidence you have.

I'm out.

Stop putting words in my mouth. I have never said anything about admiring. Not at all.

Look, it's clear that you enjoy believing that many football players are 'thugs' and bad guys. You talk about it here all the time. I'm not sure why, what exactly sort of good feelings you get out of it. But it's clear--you want these guys to be thugs. Like much of modern society, you want to believe that you can make reliable calls about the character of people you don't know and barely know anything about--yes, we barely know anything about any of these players' lives. We have snapshots. And you really like making wholesale, negative judgments about them. I get it.

So go on believing that. It's clear you do care about this topic a lot, it's in fact very important to you--important enough to post about how someone is a 'thug' every single time someone does anything you don't like. So believe it.

Just don't try to get me to believe the same stuff based on the terrible sort of evidence you have.

I'm out.

I never called him a thug. I just said I won't miss him while he is out. And yes, there are some thugs in the NFL. There are also many that are not. And no, I don't think his interactions with everyday people off camera supports your argument that Sherman is a great guy.

You on the other hand can't address the fact that he treated an everyday person in the way that I pointed out in the previous story about how he acts off camera towards people.

Here's a recap.

One of many witnesses at the following kind moment in Sherman's life said

“It was like he just picked off Peyton in the Super Bowl, and ran it back for a touchdown or something. His cockiness was at an all time high!” Said Curt Johnson, a bystander to the incident.

Sherman’s problems arose when a police officer witnessed him jaywalking, and gave him a warning not to do it again. The officer later admitted that he wasn’t so much worried about the jaywalking law in Seattle, but the fact that it was a busy street and Sherman could have been hurt, as several pedestrians have been hit by cars in the same area over the last few months.

“He asked me if I knew who he was, and I said of course, I’m a huge fan.” Said Patrolman Mike Stephens. “[sherman] then continued to say, ‘Then you know that I own [expletive] Seattle, and any [expletive] street I want to cross I can, no matter where I decide to [expletive] cross it.’”

Stephens apparently tried to apologize, and explain to Sherman that he was just doing his job, and that Sherman’s celebrity status in the city did not give him the right to curse anyone.

“He told me that I was a terrible police officer, and said I should just go eat some [expletive] donuts.” Said Officer Stephens.

He went off on me about how he was doing better in life than I was, and said that I shouldn’t even watch a Seattle game again, because I didn’t deserve to witness the ‘greatness’ that was him on a football field.”

Sherman was arrested and charged with jaywalking and disorderly conduct towards a police officer in the course of his duty. Representatives for Sherman could not be reached for comment at press time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hahaa. What an arrogant dufuss.

And as far as that last sentence about his representatives could not be reached it was because they were scrambling again to figure out ways to save his image. Oh, I know, let's get a hometown team reporter to write a glowing story about him. Brilliant!!

Shermans a d1ck, blah blah blah. Shermans misunderstood, blah blah blah. He's a polarizing individual, yadda yadda yadda.

Back to the topic on hand. Their is a greater chance than not, he's gonna be a Seahawk next year. Sure he might not be, but if you're an odds betting man. Then he will be.

So, for injury at hand. How might he be. When do we see him in his potentially last year as a seahawk?

I'm worried about his speed. It's never been his game. He's a smart, tall/lanky former wr (so great hands). Everything but speed is above excellent level. But what if he loses a step because of this.

Since speed has never been his game, it might be a big time difference.

One he can't make up for.

Fingers crossed for me. Wish him well, come back soon.

Shermans a d1ck, blah blah blah. Shermans misunderstood, blah blah blah. He's a polarizing individual, yadda yadda yadda.

Back to the topic on hand. Their is a greater chance than not, he's gonna be a Seahawk next year. Sure he might not be, but if you're an odds betting man. Then he will be.

So, for injury at hand. How might he be. When do we see him in his potentially last year as a seahawk?

I'm worried about his speed. It's never been his game. He's a smart, tall/lanky former wr (so great hands). Everything but speed is above excellent level. But what if he loses a step because of this.

Since speed has never been his game, it might be a big time difference.

One he can't make up for.

Fingers crossed for me. Wish him well, come back soon.

Wishing him well, blah blah blah. Worried about his speed, yadda yadda yadda, He loses a step, blah blah blah.

After reading about how this guy treats people in daily life I hope he has played his last game in the NFL.

Fingers Crossed.

You hate the guys guts that bad?

I'd be willing to bet 50% of the seahawk fan base are dousche bags also, one way or the other. You hate them too?

It's OK if you're in a situation in life where you have no stones to throw. But that sure would be alot of people missing from this planet if you had your higher than holy way.

You hate the guys guts that bad?

I'd be willing to bet 50% of the seahawk fan base are dousche bags also, one way or the other. You hate them too?

It's OK if you're in a situation in life where you have no stones to throw. But that sure would be alot of people missing from this planet if you had your higher than holy way.

I never said I hate him. i just dont like how he treats people and I don't like his form of entertainment. Thats what football is. Entertainment.

To me watching the NFL is like watching a great movie with a few bad supporting cast in the movie. All my opinion is, I don't like him on the screen and in the reviews. Knowing he is a bad guy just makes a more compelling point for me to have him out of the picture.

The only fan bases I dont like are the Yankees, Eagles, St. Loius Cardinals, and LA Dodgers.

I never said I hate him. i just dont like how he treats people and I don't like his form of entertainment. Thats what football is. Entertainment.

To me watching the NFL is like watching a great movie with a few bad supporting cast in the movie. All my opinion is, I don't like him on the screen and in the reviews. Knowing he is a bad guy just makes a more compelling point for me to have him out of the picture.

The only fan bases I dont like are the Yankees, Eagles, St. Loius Cardinals, and LA Dodgers.

Fair enough.

FWIW I used to work with a guy that is heavily involved in several of the players charities. He said before Sherm got paid he was a great guy. But after he got paid he would show up at his charity events with his helmet on, visor down, not talking to anyone.

When my guy tried to talk to Sherm, his security told him not today.

My read is that he treats teamates and fellow millionaiers/reporters one way, and people that "dont matter" another way.

Both sides of this story can be true.

FWIW I used to work with a guy that is heavily involved in several of the players charities. He said before Sherm got paid he was a great guy. But after he got paid he would show up at his charity events with his helmet on, visor down, not talking to anyone.

When my guy tried to talk to Sherm, his security told him not today.

My read is that he treats teamates and fellow millionaiers/reporters one way, and people that "dont matter" another way.

Both sides of this story can be true.

Some people admire this. They think being rich and acting above others is cool. They want to be that. I have a good deal of money in life and came from nothing, and am shocked at people like this and those that support him.