Sign in to follow this  
Voltaire

***American History Draft***

20.06 Elizabeth Ross. Colonial Era

Haven't check in for a while. How's this thing going? :dunno:

20.8 Jack Nichlaus - Athlete (Other)

Like many others, at one point in my life I was sure Jack was being or had been surpassed as the greatest golfer ever. Also like many others, things have changed since then and many opinions has flipped back to Jack.

21.1 John D. Rockefeller - Businessman

really lol

Why is that funny ???

21.1 John D. Rockefeller - Businessman

90's Baby 2.04 ?

21.03 1980 USA Olympic Hockey Team. - Other Team Sports

21.03 1980 USA Olympic Hockey Team. - Hockey.

I already have the coach.

If allowed, I guess you could draft all the players as collaborators, but thats a bit of a stretch.

I take two astronauts and you lose your sh!t, but a whole hockey team is ok?

Yeah, have to agree.

I take two astronauts and you lose your sh!t, but a whole hockey team is ok?

Solid focking point right there.

:lol:

Come on well played no ??

• Like 1

21.03 1980 USA Olympic Hockey Team. - Other Sports Teams. .

Fixed

:lol:

Why is that funny ???

cause just looking at the pick, nobody knows who Elizabeth Ross is, so I assumed you were being funny

if you even google Elizabeth Ross, you dont even get Betsy mentioned on page 1

cause just looking at the pick, nobody knows who Elizabeth Ross is, so I assumed you were being funny

if you even google Elizabeth Ross, you dont even get Betsy mentioned on page 1

Nope. Thought it was common knowledge

What did you think Betsy was short for ?

Roberta ??

Nope. Thought it was common knowledge

What did you think Betsy was short for ?

Roberta ??

I knew what it was, but seriously check the link I posted I found it funny. I think 99% of Americans only know her as Betsy Ross

I mean if in one of my previous picks I selected William Gates - Businessman, would be kinda the same

90's Baby 2.04 ?

Still waiting on this clarification or disqualified pick.

21.6 - John Ford - Director

John Ford (February 1, 1894 – August 31, 1973) was an American film director. He is renowned both for Westerns such as Stagecoach (1939), The Searchers (1956), and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962), as well as adaptations of classic 20th-century American novels such as the film The Grapes of Wrath (1940). His four Academy Awards for Best Director (in 1935, 1940, 1941, and 1952) remain a record. One of the films for which he won the award, How Green Was My Valley, also won Best Picture.
In a career that spanned more than 50 years, Ford directed more than 140 films (although most of his silent films are now lost) and he is widely regarded as one of the most important and influential filmmakers of his generation.[2] Ford's work was held in high regard by his colleagues, with Orson Welles and Ingmar Bergman among those who have named him one of the greatest directors of all time.

21.? Jesse Owens - Athlete.

When I was a kid, I was playing softball with my dad and some other press guys in downtown DC.

There was an old guy signing autographed books near the field and I asked my dad who he was. So, he took me over and introduced me to Jesse Owens. Jesse signed a Guinness book of world records and handed it to me.

On the way home, my dad told me all about him and how he pissed Hitler off at the Olympics.

• Like 1

Nice pick, one of three I was deciding between a few rounds ago (Robinson, Nicklaus being the other two).

21.05 - James Arness - Actor

James Arness was an American actor, best known for portraying Marshal Matt Dillon for 20 years in the television series Gunsmoke.

• Like 1

21.05 - James Arness - Actor

James Arness was an American actor, best known for portraying Marshal Matt Dillon for 20 years in the television series Gunsmoke.

Loved that show.

21.8 Stephen Foster - Composer

Stephen Foster, 1826-1864

The Father of American Music was born in Pennsylvania and wrote more than 200 songs, including two state songs (Kentucky’s “My Old Kentucky Home” and Florida’s “Old Folks At Home”) and popular tunes such as “Oh! Susanna,” “Beautiful Dreamer” and “Camptown Races.”

“Foster is regarded as the first professional American songwriter,” Sampson says. “I still see his music regularly performed in chorale ensembles.”

Foster earned little money with his songs because copyright laws of the era provided limited protection. When he died in New York City at age 37, he was sick and impoverished. His worn leather wallet contained 38 cents in Civil War script, three pennies and a penciled scrap of paper that read, “Dear friends and gentle hearts.”

22.1 George McClellan - Fock Up

McClellan at Antietam (1862)

In September of 1862, Robert E. Lee led 40,000 Confederate soldiers into Maryland in an attempt to bring the war to the North. Standing against him was the Army of the Potomac, commanded by George McClellan. During the march, Lee divided his force, sending Stonewall Jackson with half his army to Harper's Ferry to capture the Union garrison there and protect his supply line. On September 13, a Union corporal stumbled upon a piece of paper wrapping three cigars in an abandoned Confederate camp. It was a copy of Lee's orders with details on his army, its deployments, and the objectives. McClellan realized exactly what Lee was up to and told his aides, "Here is a paper with which, if I cannot whip Bobbie Lee, I am willing to go home." And then, in typical McClellan fashion, the general convinced himself that his 95,000 troops were outnumbered by 18,000 Confederates.

McClellan first advanced on the Rebel positions on September 15, and waited another two days to begin the assault. It allowed Jackson to rejoin Lee and doubled his numbers. A quicker attack with all the available Union force might have destroyed the heart of the Confederate army and possibly ended the war. Instead, the ensuing twelve-hour battle on September 17 effectively resulted in a stalemate with 23,000 casualties between the two sides. Lee withdrew the next day; McClellan took over a month to follow Lee back across the Potomac. Some historians estimate that McClellan's conduct at Antietam added as many as two years to the war. In early November, an exasperated Lincoln relieved McClellan of his command and indeed sent him home for the rest of the war.

22.2 Cornelius Vanderbilt

One of the first and best remembered tycoons, Vanderbilt, better known as the "Commodore." was the classic entrepreneur, he never attended college and did not even finish public school, dropping out at the age of 11. At first he worked with his father and then launched his own ferry service between Staten Island and New York City at the young age of 16. He quickly succeeded at this endeavor and pushed for even greater heights, entering the steamboat business in 1829 by launching service between New York City and Peekskill. This earned him the nickname "Commodore," where he became legendary as a no-nonsense businessman. As his success blossomed he eyed the railroad industry and in 1863 took control of the New York & Harlem. He oversaw significant growth of the NY&H and laid its future foundations as a world-class carrier. He changed the railroads name to the New York Central & Hudson River when he merged the original New York Central with his own Hudson River Railroad. He continued stringing together properties, including the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern, until reaching Chicago

22.3 - Crazy Horse - Native American

Crazy Horse (c. 1840 September 5, 1877) was a Native American war leader of the Oglala Lakota in the 19th century. He took up arms against the United States federal government to fight against encroachment by white American settlers on Indian territory and to preserve the traditional way of life of the Lakota people. His participation in several famous battles of the American Indian Wars on the northern Great Plains, among them the Fetterman massacre in 1866, in which he acted as a decoy, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876, in which he led a war party to victory, earned him great respect from both his enemies and his own people.

22.3 - Crazy Horse - Native American

Crazy Horse (c. 1840 September 5, 1877) was a Native American war leader of the Oglala Lakota in the 19th century. He took up arms against the United States federal government to fight against encroachment by white American settlers on Indian territory and to preserve the traditional way of life of the Lakota people. His participation in several famous battles of the American Indian Wars on the northern Great Plains, among them the Fetterman massacre in 1866, in which he acted as a decoy, and the Battle of the Little Bighorn in 1876, in which he led a war party to victory, earned him great respect from both his enemies and his own people.

I had Sitting Bull and Crazy Horse and Generals (collaborators) in the world history draft.

I figured doing that here would splode heads, so I didnt do it.

Good pick.

Just like that, back to 90s.

Skip 'em