Sign in to follow this  
Sho Nuff

Another school shooting. Houston

Oh, ok. Then we need to also consider the overall number of times a gun, or the threat of a gun, has been used in a defensive manner. Fair?

There is no way to know how often a gun deters a threat relative to the alternatives. But actual defensive uses of guns are pretty rare. And please don’t cite the debunked Kleck study.

I’ve linked the study that shows your risk of death increases several fold having a gun in the home relative to using it to protect anyone. And there’s plenty of data to show guns in the home are being misused far more often than thwarting crime. But the good guy with a gun myth still keeps coming up in these discussions. :wacko:

Here’s a summary article of some of the data: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/more-guns-do-not-stop-more-crimes-evidence-shows/

I look at that map and think gee, even with all these evil gunz we're in the middle of the pack, you look at it and think this. Do you think that there are a significant amount of people who are in a dark enough place to kill themselves who think "you know, I was going to kill myself today, but I don't have a gun so I'll go for a walk instead?" :dunno:

Guns dont create depression, but they make suicide a lot easier.

And suicide is usually an impulsive act, so anything that makes it more difficult is a win.

Just pulled my first grader out of school because a 16-20 year old was in the area walking toward the school area with a rifle.

Un focking real

There is no way to know how often a gun deters a threat relative to the alternatives. But actual defensive uses of guns are pretty rare. And please dont cite the debunked Kleck study.

Ive linked the study that shows your risk of death increases several fold having a gun in the home relative to using it to protect anyone. And theres plenty of data to show guns in the home are being misused far more often than thwarting crime. But the good guy with a gun myth still keeps coming up in these discussions. :wacko:

Heres a summary article of some of the data: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/more-guns-do-not-stop-more-crimes-evidence-shows/

This was an interesting article.

Just pulled my first grader out of school because a 16-20 year old was in the area walking toward the school area with a rifle.

Un focking real

I just pulled my first grader out of school because multiple people were driving cars in the area.......And I've been reading here that this is the same as a a 16-20 year old with a rifle. Sucks.

I just pulled my first grader out of school because multiple people were driving cars in the area.......And I've been reading here that this is the same as a a 16-20 year old with a rifle. Sucks.

Lol... exactly.

Just picked up another long rifle.

Weatherby 300 WBY mag

GUESS WHAT. I had to have a background check done. I passed.

No I think social media is a big problem. But the toothpaste is out of the tube IMO, as it would be much harder to regulate the internet than firearms.

On is a constitutional right sir. The other.....not so much.

Un focking real

Do you live really close to the school, or was the kid a really slow walker?

Their argument is that they will ask the Intruder to wait for them to unlock their gun from the safe before they murder them and their family.

Like it literally hurts my head how stupid that is.

You idiots also want me to keep my ammo in a separate locked box so there is that too.

How about we kill, like focking chop heads off kill ANYONE who gets caught with a gun and isn't allowed.

Un focking real

How dare you challenge that persons rights! That’s his RAIGHHTTS! MAI RAIGHHHTS!

Are more people killed by 16-20 year olds with rifles or cars?

They should start with banning guns and violence from super hero movies and video games.

Very impressionable young children are inundated with violence through these platforms on a daily basis. You have to think it has some affect. Especially on those perpetually loner dork video game/super hero loser nutbags out there.

Simply google why comparing guns to cars is stupid. And you will see many articles explaining why this annoying and faulty logic is ridiculous.

Everyone drives a car, they are a necessary fabric of society. Their purpose is to shuttle people around. Of course there are lots of car deaths, they are giant metal things and they are all over the road every day. Guns are made for one reason, to kill. Its an inane stance and comparison and I wish people here would stop hanging their hat on it like its some kind of GOTCHA.

Guns dont create depression, but they make suicide a lot easier.

And suicide is usually an impulsive act, so anything that makes it more difficult is a win.

Anything or just guns?

They should start with banning guns and violence from super hero movies and video games.

Very impressionable young children are inundated with violence through these platforms on a daily basis. You have to think it has some affect. Especially on those perpetually loner dork video game/super hero loser nutbags out there.

You do care about me :wub:

There is no way to know how often a gun deters a threat relative to the alternatives. But actual defensive uses of guns are pretty rare. And please don’t cite the debunked Kleck study.

I’ve linked the study that shows your risk of death increases several fold having a gun in the home relative to using it to protect anyone. And there’s plenty of data to show guns in the home are being misused far more often than thwarting crime. But the good guy with a gun myth still keeps coming up in these discussions. :wacko:

Here’s a summary article of some of the data: https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/more-guns-do-not-stop-more-crimes-evidence-shows/

yep any article that includes suicides is already invalid

Japan has relatively zero guns, and has a higher suicide rate, ban skyscrapers?

Are more people killed by 16-20 year olds with rifles or cars?

Cars for sure, which is why I pulled my kid out of school.

I just pulled a first grader, cause I'm a Catholic Priest from Boston. :unsure:

I just pulled a first grader, cause I'm a Catholic Priest from Boston. :unsure:

So do you come here often? Oh just Sunday’s, cool cool cool, word. So what’s your number? Mathew 2:11? No I mean-ugh never mind.

Cars for sure, which is why I pulled my kid out of school.

If the car was intended to do harm while being driven by a maniac I'd agree. If it was parked at home and locked waiting to be driven by a responsibility driver. Not so much.

Agree?

Smart man :thumbsup:

yep any article that includes suicides is already invalid

Japan has relatively zero guns, and has a higher suicide rate, ban skyscrapers?

Your inability to acknowledge suicides in the gun discussion is a problem. So is your tendency to fixate on outliers, except the US and gun ownership/violence, of course.

On is a constitutional right sir. The other.....not so much.

Sure, but the wording of the constitution is up for interpretation.

How do you suggest we eliminate the influence of social media on society?

No it isn't. This has been debunked numerous times. Numerous Founding Fathers clarified what they meant in personal documents and letters.

How do you suggest we eliminate the influence of social media on society?

The liberal solution. Throw a lot of money at the problem....it will go away then.

While it's never been proven to be a major part of the problem, we definitely sensationalize violence in all forms of media.

If the car was intended to do harm while being driven by a maniac I'd agree. If it was parked at home and locked waiting to be driven by a responsibility driver. Not so much.

Agree?

Wait....Are you asking me to go by the cars vs guns stats, or are you asking me to use common sense in terms of how cars vs guns are used?

No it isn't. This has been debunked numerous times. Numerous Founding Fathers clarified what they meant in personal documents and letters.

Link? In particular, I'd like to know what they meant by well regulated militia. And how they were able to predict the future regarding the types of firearms which would be available.

Link? In particular, I'd like to know what they meant by well regulated militia. And how they were able to predict the future regarding the types of firearms which would be available.

I didn't look this up, but I have a theory. I bet people didn't even argue about the wording of the 2nd Amendment or anything in the Constitution until recently. But as time goes by its easier to say "Well they actually mean this..." and those things actually be believable. Bet it was a Democrat too.

Also many of the Founding Fathers were inventors, they were fully aware there would be advances in firearm technology.

Simply google why comparing guns to cars is stupid. And you will see many articles explaining why this annoying and faulty logic is ridiculous.

Everyone drives a car, they are a necessary fabric of society. Their purpose is to shuttle people around. Of course there are lots of car deaths, they are giant metal things and they are all over the road every day. Guns are made for one reason, to kill. Its an inane stance and comparison and I wish people here would stop hanging their hat on it like its some kind of GOTCHA.

No one is using that as their sole argument. It isn't perfect, but its a decent comparison (for those advocating stricter gun control) for the reasons I've already mentioned.

I didn't look this up, but I have a theory. I bet people didn't even argue about the wording of the 2nd Amendment or anything in the Constitution until recently. But as time goes by its easier to say "Well they actually mean this..." and those things actually be believable. Bet it was a Democrat too.

Ummm, you may want to look it up. The meaning of the constitution, especially 2A, has been debated for years. How else would amendments ever be suggested?

Ummm, you may want to look it up. The meaning of the constitution, especially 2A, has been debated for years. How else would amendments ever be suggested?

I don't think you understand what I meant.

I'm sure in 1790 people weren't having the debate if the Founding Fathers meant they could or couldn't have a gun. It was universal, private citizens could have firearms. You didn't have to be in a militia to have one and that is the argument you are trying to make, it's stupid.

I'm sure in 1790 people weren't having the debate if the Founding Fathers meant they could or couldn't have a gun. It was universal, private citizens could have firearms. You didn't have to be in a militia to have one and that is the argument you are trying to make, it's stupid.

People in 1790 weren't having mass shootings. Or electricity to power the internet.

Gun control has been an issue for a while though: https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/gun-control-old-west-180968013/

http://time.com/5169210/us-gun-control-laws-history-timeline/