Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

Am I the only one bummed about USMNT missing the World Cup?

Nah, its not really about that. Soccer is about skill. The best player in the world is 5'8 165 lbs.

America has 350 Million people, we should be one of the top 5-8 teams in the world. Even if Soccer is like the 5th or 6th most popular sport. We do well in things like Swimming and Track and Field.

Swimming and track and field cost money. you need a specific place to train, most cities have none, how many have hoops?

Yea, that's not really the way it is anymore. Top talent is honing their skills on travel teams that play all over the country.

and the kids that are the best often play at a reduced rate... the secret deals of club sports... and parents already shop their kids around looking for the best deals.

it does bring up an interesting question though... do youth athletes grow/develop better in a school yard environment with no supervision or in a controlled, formal coaching environment?

I guess I can see benefits to both.

Lemme ask you this... you think Russian kids are getting so good at hockey because they just play and skate all over Siberia or because there's some Commie-Military hockey boot camp they're all sent to?

put it this way

if you type or say USMNT to every American, more would probably think it was some part of a military branch, and very few would guess soccer, I had no clue what this was, and I played soccer into college

• Like 1

Did they get their participation trophy?

No but Jimmy's mom brought orange slices.

• Like 1

No but Jimmy's mom brought orange slices.

it was Trevor's mom... or maybe it was Noah's... can't remember... Jimmy, Bobby, Tommy, and John all turned 8, they play football, baseball, basketball, and hockey now.

For the past 30+ years, this has been the story for USA soccer. Sure, once or twice they made it and advanced a round or two in WC play... and then suddenly there was a proclamation that soccer has finally arrived in the USA... but it hasn't.

US soccer is the Cleveland Browns of their sport... different coaches, different players... year after year... and yet there is always something dysfunctional about them and they tank.

To me, it must be something more organizational - institutional - this isn't just on the players, it's the entire organization and whoever has been there the longest with the most clout deserves the most blame... and I really have no idea who it is.

US soccer is a loser's bet - and I wish it wasn't so - but it is - and it becomes a self perpetuating cycle of failure... because if you're no good, nobody will watch, and if kids aren't watching, they are not learning the game and developing a passion for it - so kids play soccer when they're little and then when they really become sports fans, they move on to the sports they watch with the sports heroes they admire.

i am a bit disappointed. it seemed like there was some hope with pulisic, altidore, dempsey, wood, yedlin, and bradley. i follow some premier league and bundesliga.

I agree that the issue is systemic- how the nationals learn their game.

it was Trevor's mom... or maybe it was Noah's... can't remember... Jimmy, Bobby, Tommy, and John all turned 8, they play football, baseball, basketball, and hockey now.

Whomever it was she was a MILF

Meh soccer. I mean ill watch some olympics but if the U.S. didnt qualify or for any swimming events I wouldnt miss it.

Hard to watch a whole game of soccer anyway. U.S. not in it just gives me a reason to not even try this time around. Which is nice.

Pretty sure the executive at Fox Sports who bought the English rights to the World Cup is pretty bummed today.

I was just coming in to say this. Outbid ESPN by 200 million? Who was the negotiator?

US men's soccer will never be a force on the world stage until our black athletes/black youth get more involved. HTH

The US basketball team would be average at best on the world stage without our black athletes.

put it this way

if you type or say USMNT to every American, more would probably think it was some part of a military branch, and very few would guess soccer, I had no clue what this was, and I played soccer into college

I always think US Mint.

• Like 1

US men's soccer will never be a force on the world stage until our black athletes/black youth get more involved. HTH

The US basketball team would be average at best on the world stage without our black athletes.

that's not it..... germany, argentina, brazil, italy, france, spain- not heavy on black athletes

that's not it..... germany, argentina, brazil, italy, france, spain- not heavy on black athletes

Messi is 5foot 8 160

Height only helps with a goalie.

Its an athletic sport, but more about skill than anything else. Race isnt the issue.

Messi is 5foot 8 160

Height only helps with a goalie.

Its an athletic sport, but more about skill than anything else. Race isnt the issue.

Pretty sure Messi is 5'5" with heels, Altidore is 6'2" and built like a linebacker. Who are you taking? Me too.

that's sort of my point. their whitey's are better than ours. the US needs blacks athletes to compete, look at basketball, track and field, football who knows what else.

imagine if the US had an influx of young black athletes playing tennis. it wouldn't take long for them to start dominating.

it would take exactly one solid generation of black athletes playing soccer to start winning on the world stage.

I disagree. I think it is about soccer IQ. We already have decent athletes out there. Each country works to their strengths. US has a very different flow to their game. They struggle with their first touch, give and go, creating strong attacks. The test of the world has better field sense/vision. This starts young.

:doh:

so a 6'8 250 lb crazy athletic guy standing in front of the net on a corner kick wouldn't have an advantage over a 5'9 165 pound guy.

stop the focking insanity

and that's one example.

give Justin Gatlin a long ball and see if the defense can keep up with him :wave:

Demarcus Beasley was that guy, too bad he wasnt very skilled at actually playing soccer so his speed was useless

Just watch a premier league game, then watch MLS. Americans when they pass to each other the ball bounces off them a bunch of feet away and by the time they control it the play is over. Euros its like the ball sticks to them, immediately on their foot and they can make the next play. Its simple fundamentals we suck at

• Like 1

I disagree. I think it is about soccer IQ. We already have decent athletes out there. Each country works to their strengths. US has a very different flow to their game. They struggle with their first touch, give and go, creating strong attacks. The test of the world has better field sense/vision. This starts young.

Agreed, they are terrible.

• Like 1

Most of the time, the growth of a sport is based on socio-economic reasons. In many countries, everyone plays soccer and there are not other sports. If there are other sports, the poorer kids tend to play sports early and at a high frequency. Here, it is basketball now more often than other sports. However, if you look at the make-up of a typical AAU or rec league soccer team in the US, it is richer kids. Unless that changes, we will not be good at soccer.

Am I the only one who doesn't know or care what USMNT stands for?

US MINT

US Marines National Terrorism Team

US Maritime Night Trollers

US Mutant Ninja Turtles

US Mountain Time

USe My Nice T!tties

US Monuments

University of Maine Nose Tackle

US Mens National Team