Photo

Facts vs Opinion, 3 in 4 Americans can't tell the difference. Test inside.

• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#81 RaiderHater's Revenge

RaiderHater's Revenge

FF Geek

• Members
  • 14,120 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

Not sure how you could get that wrong. Even if you thought it wasn’t true, it’s verbiage was clearly presented as a fact, not an opinion.

I wasn't really reading em that closely, I actually thought it was a false statement so marked it as non factual

Suck it Rockford---

The Right protests the killing of babies, the left protests EVERYTHING else

#82 tanatastic

tanatastic

FF Geek

• Members
  • 21,067 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:11 AM

I agree that this one was tricky.  Define "health care costs".  Define "developed world".

That’s not how it works...those things that could need definition are not relevant to the phrasing of the statement being presented as a fact.

An opinion version of that would be....Health care costs are too high compared to the rest of the developed world.

That would be an opinion since too high is an opinion. Defining health care costs and developed world are not relevant.

#83 tanatastic

tanatastic

FF Geek

• Members
  • 21,067 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:12 AM

I wasn't really reading em that closely, I actually thought it was a false statement so marked it as non factual

That makes sense. I also paused on that one. I got the one about Isis gaining significant ground wrong. Significant to one person may not be to another. But oh well.

#84 Baker Boy

Baker Boy

FF Geek

• Members
  • 5,002 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:41 AM

We know from research that when people watch entertainment television, even if they know it's fiction, they tend to believe that the factual stuff is actually factual," said Martin Kaplan of the University of Southern California's Norman Lear Center, which received the grant. http://www.foxnews.c...-tv-plot-lines/

#85 Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho

FF Geek

• Members
  • 13,227 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:43 AM

Think this thread proves the studies point.   :lol:

#86 Voltaire

Voltaire

FF Geek

• Members
  • 36,358 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:51 AM

Think this thread proves the studies point.    :lol:

:ninja:

:(

:cry: 

:wall:

Don't you see we're doomed? You put that laughing emoticon away. I'd give you an angry or a nono emoticon but I'm at my limit.

Some guy living in a hut isn't worth throwing down philosophically with. Save it for lightly trafficked message boards. ~Hardcore Troubadour

#87 jerryskids

jerryskids

FF Geek

• Members
  • 45,833 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 01:26 PM

5/5 and 5/5

It was easy. Plus I always test well, especially stuff along these lines.. What I liked was seeing where the landmines were laid for the left and the right.

Agreed.  I raised an eyebrow about the Obama birth statement, but then I remembered the objective of the test.  :thumbsup:

"I wouldnt even consider sitting out, I love pedo threads." -- tanatastic

#88 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 14,519 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 02:55 PM

:ninja:

:(

:cry:

:wall:

Don't you see we're doomed? You put that laughing emoticon away. I'd give you an angry or a nono emoticon but I'm at my limit.

We're not doomed. People have always been this stupid, there are just more tools to manipulate them nowadays.

#89 SenatorRock

SenatorRock

FF Geek

• Members
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:36 PM

A fact, by definition is something that is a statement that can be proven true or false. The US has 51 states, is also a fact. Knowing the definition of a fact is what the real test was.

#90 SenatorRock

SenatorRock

FF Geek

• Members
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:41 PM

I fully blame the media for this. Especially the main stream media that uses twitter as the basis for their articles. They take a story, run some facts with it and then interject their opinion and the opinion of twitter users. 

I was reading an article today about the whole Chris Hardwick situation. Texts have been released that show she still wanted to be with him and that she cheated on him. These are facts that are not in dispute. However in the article the author felt the need to screen cap what a twitter user with 13 followers had to say about it. This person was not involved but had a negative opinion of hardwick so it was included. 

I went to the website the author gave as her own because I wanted to see for myself what the moron who wrote it looked like. Turns out that she is 12. Like actually 12 years old. This is what happens when you let anyone call themselves a journalist. 

This is done on purpose to confuse the reader into believing that what the author says is actually a fact when it is a mere laypersons opinion. 

Great point. I am out of likes for the day but wanted to acknowledge my appreciation of a solid post. 

#91 kilroy69

kilroy69

FF Geek

• Members
  • 26,519 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

Great point. I am out of likes for the day but wanted to acknowledge my appreciation of a solid post. 

ty
Its still not a hummingbird.

#92 Mike Honcho

Mike Honcho

FF Geek

• Members
  • 13,227 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 04:51 PM

:lol:

#93 supermike80

supermike80

FF Geek

• Members
  • 10,541 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:18 PM

I'm not taking this test. Seems like something for politically biased retards . Plenty of those on this bored.

If you are going to debate me on this bulletin board,

start with this premise..

You win.  And I don't care.

#94 RaiderHater's Revenge

RaiderHater's Revenge

FF Geek

• Members
  • 14,120 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:21 PM

I'm not taking this test. Seems like something for politically biased retards . Plenty of those on this bored.

its not its all about recognizing the way a sentence is written

Suck it Rockford---

The Right protests the killing of babies, the left protests EVERYTHING else

#95 penultimatestraw

penultimatestraw

FF Geek

• Members
  • 14,519 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 05:25 PM

its not its all about recognizing the way a sentence is written

Fact

#96 SenatorRock

SenatorRock

FF Geek

• Members
  • 2,201 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 06:15 PM