Sign in to follow this  
Cloaca du jour

Why education is going in the crapper

Education is in the crapper because of parents largely. You have three groups of parents now... the ones that don't even bother to feed and clothe and bathe their kids.

The ones that insist their kid can never possibly be wrong and always blast the teacher for everything.

And a minority of good ones left.

Amazing she gets fired while some real teachers do a lot worse and keep their jobs.

Fock a teachers union :thumbsdown:

It has to be a non union school

She wasn't a teacher, was she?

Wow. Rule when I was growing up was if the nuns hit you and my parents found out about it I got hit again when I got home. I would have gladly taken some gentle sarcasm instead.

This is f****** ridiculous.I was at least hoping for somebody From the district's side to have some sort of a Justification no matter how weak it Was. But I've got nothing here. That's just ridiculous.

This is f****** ridiculous.I was at least hoping for somebody From the district's side to have some sort of a Justification no matter how weak it Was. But I've got nothing here. That's just ridiculous.

I would hazard to guess she was in violation of some sort of social media policy which prohibited her from interacting with students online.

Not saying firing her was the way to go, but I'm betting that is the case.

It also speaks to how scared bosses can be. I'm glad I don't have anyone that afraid as my boss

You're also unemployed right now, soooo....

My guess is she tweeted using the School District account, which is probably a no-no. Still, there should be a cooler head to give her a slap on the wrist.

I am ashamed for us and our educational system, just so embarrassing that a teacher would be treated this way. God....we focking suck as a society I swear....

• Like 1

I am ashamed for us and our educational system, just so embarrassing that a teacher would be treated this way. God....we focking suck as a society I swear....

Was it confirmed she was a teacher? Seems was a district employee, probably just a receptionist who had an additional duty of running the district twitter account.

Was it confirmed she was a teacher? Seems was a district employee, probably just a receptionist who had an additional duty of running the district twitter account.

If she was a janitor, and knew how to spell, and attempting to help a kid learn how to speak....spell....behave she should get a merit bonus for taking the initiative to help a kid be a little less stupid....not a termination.

She was probably a crappy employee and her boss was just looking for a reason to fire her.

If she was a great employee I bet this gets swept under the rug.

Wow. Rule when I was growing up was if the nuns hit you and my parents found out about it I got hit again when I got home. I would have gladly taken some gentle sarcasm instead.

I had the nuns too. My 2nd grade teacher Sister Ann Regina,had the meanest looking face in history. I led the league in getting my desk tipped over for it being too messy.

I had the nuns too. My 2nd grade teacher Sister Ann Regina,had the meanest looking face in history. I led the league in getting my desk tipped over for it being too messy.

I accidentally hit my first grade teacher, Sister Helen Michelle, in the head with a heavy superball while at lunchtime recess and she passed out. I was in 4th grade at the time. It was like slow motion and the ball chinked off a flaw in the wall and went flying sideways, up into the air and pelted her directly in the head. I still have a very vivid image of her slumping to the ground as her habit fell around her, somewhat reminiscent of when the Wicked Witch of the West melted. She was one of the nicer nuns and I felt terrible, but not terrible enough to admit that I had done it. 10 of us were put out in the schoolyard, where we stood in a line motionless for the remainder of the day and nobody ratted me out. Code.

I never had my desk tipped, but I did get a few raps on the knuckles for being a wiseass.

As to the larger topic here, the reason education is failing is primarily bad parenting and the focus on test preparation rather than learning.

I accidentally hit my first grade teacher, Sister Helen Michelle, in the head with a heavy superball while at lunchtime recess and she passed out. I was in 4th grade at the time. It was like slow motion and the ball chinked off a flaw in the wall and went flying sideways, up into the air and pelted her directly in the head. I still have a very vivid image of her slumping to the ground as her habit fell around her, somewhat reminiscent of when the Wicked Witch of the West melted. She was one of the nicer nuns and I felt terrible, but not terrible enough to admit that I had done it. 10 of us were put out in the schoolyard, where we stood in a line motionless for the remainder of the day and nobody ratted me out. Code.

I never had my desk tipped, but I did get a few raps on the knuckles for being a wiseass.

As to the larger topic here, the reason education is failing is primarily bad parenting and the focus on test preparation rather than learning.

:doublethumbsup:

This is correct, but no one wants to admit this.....these people vote....

I think its focking common core bullsh!t overcomplicating everything. Plus the pussification of Merica.

For instance, we moved out here to WA state from Minnesota. Kids were doing well in MN schools, but once they came to WA it seemed much easier for them. They NEVER came home with homework. 1st teachers conference with our girls teacher we asked why no homework. Her answer... well there are some students that don't have the home structure to get homework done so we don't want them to feel bad or be left behind. :huh: So your focking telling me you're dumming down school cause a handul of sh!t parents can't be bothered to help susie with their homework? WTF?! No wonder our schools are failing... your catering to the lowest motherfockin denominator! :mad:

So.. now our girl gets a special packet of homework along with one other familys kidnthat cares as well in the class.

Seriously thinking that if/when the wife gets work we go private school.

• Like 1

I think its focking common core bullsh!t overcomplicating everything. Plus the pussification of Merica.

For instance, we moved out here to WA state from Minnesota. Kids were doing well in MN schools, but once they came to WA it seemed much easier for them. They NEVER came home with homework. 1st teachers conference with our girls teacher we asked why no homework. Her answer... well there are some students that don't have the home structure to get homework done so we don't want them to feel bad or be left behind. :huh: So your focking telling me you're dumming down school cause a handul of sh!t parents can't be bothered to help susie with their homework? WTF?! No wonder our schools are failing... your catering to the lowest motherfockin denominator! :mad:

So.. now our girl gets a special packet of homework along with one other familys kidnthat cares as well in the class.

Minnesota has some of the best schools in the country.

Washington unfortunately does not (K-12, it's got some good collidges). I'm not sure why, it's the biggest failing of the constant Democratic administrations here IMO.

Oh it's not just those schools. My nephew has brought homework home maybe once or twice all school year. He's in the 4th grade. The teachers use the excuse that they don't want to overwork students.

Ummm......

I'm actually against homework that young and maybe in general. You've got, what, six hours with those kids every day? If you can't get the work done at school you aren't doing it right.

But that assumes that they are getting quality education at school. If they aren't then I guess homework is basically a fail-safe where parents can supervise and try to ensure they're learning something. Shouldn't need that though

I'm actually against homework that young and maybe in general. You've got, what, six hours with those kids every day? If you can't get the work done at school you aren't doing it right.

But that assumes that they are getting quality education at school. If they aren't then I guess homework is basically a fail-safe where parents can supervise and try to ensure they're learning something. Shouldn't need that though

You think all those smart little chinee & japee kids don't do homework? think they teachers give a fat fock how they feel?

I have a slightly different mindset on education. I believe it is up to the teachers to expose the kids to the information each day, get them the basic understanding and that its up to the wife and I to ensure they are learning. When it's all done, its up to us as their parents to ensure their success, not the stranger at school who may or may not care enough to actually prepare them.

the culture of stupidity is becoming more and more acceptable.

Kid doesn't want to go to school "tamarrow" and teacher responds, "but you need to learn how to spell 'tomorrow'" is now unacceptable... when the fact is that being unable to spell tomorrow should be unacceptable.

Education, overall, is failing because, like most of the giant institutions our society created during the industrial revolution, it can no longer keep up with technology.

Our method of mass-processing students no longer prepares them for today's complex world of endless choice and possibility.

The Takahashi Corporation is going to be running sh!t in our sector while we're gonna be stuck running garbage scows on sh!t planets! :mad:

A little more than six hours per day on average. Take away 30 minutes of "lunch". Throw in at least 30 minutes of recess and now you're down to five hours. I don't know about anyone else, but in elementary school, countless minutes are spent in non-educational manners. So let's knock off another 30 minutes throughout the day on things like getting to your seat, getting supplies, snack, etc.

Now you have to teach the material. So an elementary teacher has approximately 30-40 minutes per day per curriculum (reading/math/writing/history/science/computers/geography/music/art/foreign language(?)) to get 30-40 students to understand completely new concepts. There are going to be questions asked. There's going to be discipline needed. And again, in most schools, it's 1:30-40 ratio.

Anyone here try and teach to that ratio? As someone who's worked in preschools, the ratios for that are:

4-year-olds 1:6-9

5-year-olds 1:7-10

Kindergarten 1:9-12

That's based off ALL students being optimal learners and not requiring any additional help/support (special needs, ESL, etc).

There's simply not enough time to expect students to be able to soak in material AND complete the necessary work in that time period. It in essence creates a constant state of testing effect in that situation. And if anyone thinks more tests are good..I say to them and Roediger that they're full of sh!t.

Speaking just for CA, and drawing off of knowing some devilish details, and conversations with high school teachers, I think we would improve by:

Being honest. Our graduation rate definitely does not reflect the expectation a reasonable person would have of what someone with a high school diploma has learned. How that manages to happen is many decisions along the way in regards to the student, to 'help' him or her, but without any actual hard lifting, any substantive, enriching help. There isn't enough time for it.

Restructuring the classroom approach. Where you're placed is not based on age and what grade that means you're in, it's on understanding. When bringing in wooden blocks actually helps some of your 9th graders to add and subtract better, figuring out what's amiss in the lower grades is imperative,

Have more small groups within your ridiculously big classes if you're stuck with that reality, and roving instructional aids to deal with the groups. For all the kids who don't have involved, educated parents, which is many, they really need ground-up understanding instilled. It's not about making sure you have some small group time, almost the entire class time needs to be like that, especially or at least with math.

Some fundamentals need to be switched up, but if we keep lying, and kicking the can down the road, the people who have the power to own up to this and start the very difficult task of switching them up - first by understanding problems where the rubber meets the road, and then applying some simple but admittedly big changes (where the pain comes in for all giant bureaucracies, like large school districts), won't, and what being publicly educated means for way too many K-12 students is definitely just going to get more shameful.

Get rid of gym. And all the other wastes of time though out the day.

Trump_Wrong.gif

If the trend continues, public school may be a thing of the past in our lifetimes.

Public school has only been around for 150 years or so... in terms of humans/society, it's a relatively new thing.

I've posted this video before... it's pretty interesting stuff and explores the questions:

- What is school for?

- How should schools change to modernize.

Turrble idea. School as we apply it already sucks for boys who are asked to sit still all day, which is against their makeup to do physical activities.

I would propose more PE, maybe shorter classes but get the kids to do something physical 3-4 times/day.

Turrble idea. School as we apply it already sucks for boys who are asked to sit still all day, which is against their makeup to do physical activities.

I would propose more PE, maybe shorter classes but get the kids to do something physical 3-4 times/day.

Don't make it mandatory then. It's a waste for many kids.