Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Article: Early Observations - AFC

Doug's annual Early Observations piece has been posted, cutting through the hype and pulling nuggets you need to know on every team in the AFC. If you've missed anything this off-season this is the perfect article to get you caugh up. He'll tackle the NFC next Tuesday.

Why does Hunt better match a typical Reid running back than Ware? I thought Ware fought hard until the end last year. His production wasn't great, but defenses were stacking the box pretty regularly. Plus he was pulled inexplicably in key situations last year that could have helped his numbers.

Doug's annual Early Observations piece has been posted, cutting through the hype and pulling nuggets you need to know on every team in the AFC. If you've missed anything this off-season this is the perfect article to get you caugh up. He'll tackle the NFC next Tuesday.

Coop has bulked up CONSIDERABLY this off-season, and has not seemed to lose any of his 4.37 speed in the process. He's a young 23, so his body is still maturing. I've been hyping him pretty good the last few years, but this may be the year he really breaks out.

The article talked about Musgrave and his exit, but the real story should be the maturation of Derek Carr. His reading defenses and switching into advantageous plays at the line if scrimmage is growing every year. As Carr goes, so goes Coop.

He's a fantastic value pick for someone picking in the top three, who can grab one of the top RBs in Bell, Johnson or Elliott, and still get a solid WR with their second pick.

Coop has bulked up CONSIDERABLY this off-season, and has not seemed to lose any of his 4.37 speed in the process. He's a young 23, so his body is still maturing. I've been hyping him pretty good the last few years, but this may be the year he really breaks out.

The article talked about Musgrave and his exit, but the real story should be the maturation of Derek Carr. His reading defenses and switching into advantageous plays at the line if scrimmage is growing every year. As Carr goes, so goes Coop.

He's a fantastic value pick for someone picking in the top three, who can grab one of the top RBs in Bell, Johnson or Elliott, and still get a solid WR with their second pick.

I was focusing mostly on Cooper on the write-up. While Crabtree is a good option, I think Cooper is a great option. Something tells me Musgrave had as much to do with Cooper not blowing up his first two years as anything (and mind you, Cooper was actually pretty good relatively speaking).

I haven't had Cooper on a team yet in his career (largely because it seems like I'm always picking 12), but I think that will change this year. I think we are talking about him next year like we have talked about Julio, OBJ and AB in recent years.

Why does Hunt better match a typical Reid running back than Ware? I thought Ware fought hard until the end last year. His production wasn't great, but defenses were stacking the box pretty regularly. Plus he was pulled inexplicably in key situations last year that could have helped his numbers.

I wasn't trying to slight Ware, but my point was Hunt's game is more in the Westbrook/McCoy/Charles mode.

I was focusing mostly on Cooper on the write-up. While Crabtree is a good option, I think Cooper is a great option. Something tells me Musgrave had as much to do with Cooper not blowing up his first two years as anything (and mind you, Cooper was actually pretty good relatively speaking).

I haven't had Cooper on a team yet in his career (largely because it seems like I'm always picking 12), but I think that will change this year. I think we are talking about him next year like we have talked about Julio, OBJ and AB in recent years.

Well part of the problem was Carr simply likes to spread the ball around. You talked about Seth Roberts, who's had horrible drop issues. But Roberts is a ferocious blocker for a WR, and Carr REALLY trusts him. Especially in the red zone.

I think Coop simply needs to mature more, which he will. The guy is still very young, this being his 3rd year and he just turned 23. He's a literal technician at the position. I follow a guy on twitter named Ted Nguyen who breaks a lot of Coop's game down - @RaidersAnalysis. I recommend that follow. What's more he's faster than people think he is. There's a strong consensus that Cooper was mistimed at his combine. The NFL Network had a bit going where they CGI superimposed players against each other in the 40. They pitted Cooper, Kevin White, and Davante Parker together and Coop smoked them. White's Forty time officially was 4.39. Word is Cooper being an actual 4.37. Now he's bulked up, so punks like Pacman Jones and Aquib Talib will have to pack a lunch if they want to intimidate him.

Finally, Coop has improved his catch-per-target ratio steadily the last two years. The drop issues that plagued him his rookie season are a thing of the past. In fact Cooper has traditionally been very sure handed. Forget that he broke every receiving record at Alabama. In 2014, his junior season, he caught 124 passes on 174 targets for an absolutely sick 72% catch per target ratio. If he ever gets settled into being an NFL receiver he's going to quietly put up some very big numbers. Look at him when he scores a TD, he just flips the ball to the ref in old school fashion. He's a very grounded kid.

Now he's in arguably one of the most explosive offenses in the AFC, with one of the premier up and coming QBs. Yeah that's a perfect storm. Somebody picking third in a 12 team league is going to get Zeke Elliott, then Amari Cooper at the bottom of the second.

Coop is going to have to find the end zone more than in his first two season if he wants to move up the charts

6 and 5 TDs won't do it, he's going to have to come close to doubling that

Here's a great You Tube breakdown by @RaidersAnalysis on Cooper's late season fade.

His first two season he's only been the second best ff scoring wr on the Raiders.

This is the season I believe he becomes number one on the Raiders.

And I have him as a low wr1.