Sign in to follow this  
MD Jet

Should Our Draft Have Been Rescheduled?

DRAFTS AND SUSPENSIONS  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Should our draft have been rescheduled until after the Brady decision?

• Yes
    • No

I am the commissioner of our league. Every year, our league holds its draft on the last Monday of August (in between weeks 3 and 4 of the preseason). The day before the draft, one league member suggested that the draft be moved until after the Tom Brady court decision had been issued. (It was known that the decision was coming some time that week, and it eventually came on Wednesday or Thursday.) I refused to move the draft, noting that it is held at the same time every year, and every year there are suspensions pending (Ray Rice, Josh Gordon, etc.). Tom Brady was drafted in the 10th round of our draft. A few days later, his suspension is lifted, and the guy that drafted him got a steal. The guy that asked me to move the draft is now furious.

My position is that everyone had the same information at the draft. Anyone could have taken a chance on Brady - it all depends on your risk tolerance. Someone did, and got a steal. But 11 other teams had 9 or 10 chances to draft him before he was taken.

What do you think? Should I have moved the draft?

respectfully, this is a classic overthink by you.

i commish 2 leagues, i know it can be hard to keep everyone happy all the time, but this isn't worth any consternation on your part, commish.

push forward, dont look back.

i commish 2 leagues, i know it can be hard to keep everyone happy all the time, but this isn't worth any consternation on your part, commish.

Tend to agree, but he ramped up the rhetoric after last night's Brady performance.

I drafted well before the ruling happened and took Tom as my 1 and only QB. I knew the case would be tied up in litigation and win or lose he would be out there. It took 3 years to sentence the freakin kid who shot up the batman theater and thats open and shut. Justice is a joke and it was obvious he would play at least week 1.

My point is that the very notion of moving a draft for one player is silly. How bout the guys who drafted foster in rnd 11 after the news broke? Now hes pretty much Leveon Bell.

any decent league that has a clue - drafts after the final Thursday of Preseason anyway.

this would have been a non issue

any decent league that has a clue - drafts after the final Thursday of Preseason anyway.

this would have been a non issue

We have already covered in other threads that not every league has that luxury. Getting 10-12 guys all in the same room can be tricky and sometimes you have to compromise. Everyone WANTS to draft after that game of course.

Sounds like the guy should have taken Brady in the 9th. I think you did fine keeping the draft where it was.

No issue here. You held the draft the same time as normal and everybody had the same opportunity to get Tommy.

As a matter of fact, this guy is being pretty dooshy about this. You should punch him in the face in front of his wife and kids.

Sounds like the guy should have taken Brady in the 9th. I think you did fine keeping the draft where it was.

Agreed. Imagine, the player who took a risk getting a reward and the player who didn't take the risk not getting it. Wow such bad.

You did the right thing. Tell the pissed off player to suck it (do it nicely though). It was a fair and equitable situation. Had he done his homework, he'd have seen that players always always always (well, almost) win when things go to court. Or, you know, he could have just risked it like the other guy did. That's the game.

I remember I was going to buy some Apple stock before the iPhone was announced but I wanted to wait and see what their big announcement was... The next day they announced the iPhone and I had to pay extra for the same # of shares.

Thought it was a bunch of crap so I wrote an angry email to my FFL commissioner.

Everybody had the same information and everybody had the chance (actually 9 chances each) to draft Brady.

This guy is an idiot. Probably a Patriots fan. They seem to go together.

I like the unknown factors, just another element to draft strategy. You wanted him you should of drafted him and its fair game to all. Foster went 6th round in 1 of my leagues which was to steep for me. Could be the best pick for the guy or worst

I am the commissioner of our league. Every year, our league holds its draft on the last Monday of August (in between weeks 3 and 4 of the preseason). The day before the draft, one league member suggested that the draft be moved until after the Tom Brady court decision had been issued. (It was known that the decision was coming some time that week, and it eventually came on Wednesday or Thursday.) I refused to move the draft, noting that it is held at the same time every year, and every year there are suspensions pending (Ray Rice, Josh Gordon, etc.). Tom Brady was drafted in the 10th round of our draft. A few days later, his suspension is lifted, and the guy that drafted him got a steal. The guy that asked me to move the draft is now furious.

My position is that everyone had the same information at the draft. Anyone could have taken a chance on Brady - it all depends on your risk tolerance. Someone did, and got a steal. But 11 other teams had 9 or 10 chances to draft him before he was taken.

NO.

you are correct in your rationale.

every year, there are pending suspensions. This guy clearly asked you to move it because he had an interest in one player.

To move the draft to accomodate one person in this manner would be showing bias. The only way I'd consider it is if I had multiple requests to move the date and had reason to believe that a change in date benefits the majority of the GM's.

you are also correct in noting that everyone had access to the same information, so nobody is truly at a disadvanatage due to the pending brady suspension that may turn out not to be.

honestly, a 3 or 4 game suspension doesnt drastically affect what I'd pay for a top player.

Brady likely went cheap because he's not considered to be a top 5 QB on most draft boards. So his value is not huge unless you are in a league that starts 2 QB.

If Brady went that cheap, this guy had the chance to get him. in auction, he could have bid more. In a draft, he could have taken him a round earlier. The fault is his own if he didnt end up with his player. You dont deserve any blame here. You did your job.

I think you should have held the draft on the original date, but told that possy that's complaining that you moved it and replaced him with someone else.

• Like 1

Tell the owner to STFU. There's always risk/rewards to drafting. I have the feeling if you'd moved it, he'd drafted Brady, and Brady tore his ACL last night, he'd still be b!tching.

100 % agree

As commish, did you take it to the league? If majority vote favored that, you could have moved it. Too late now, tell the guy to move on. There are usually players in some kind of the same scenario, like Josh Gordon.

WHY should you accommodate ONE team owner???

You did the right thing, and kept to the TRADITIONAL schedule, of Monday after the 3rd week of preseason games. BTW - I *also* like to draft that Monday thru Wednesday. So, yeah - in my draft, someone also got Tom Terrific at a fire-sale price. I'm the Commish, and I haven't heard one complaint. Again - ANYONE could have taken him after filling out their roster - say, Round 7 - and he lasted until Round 10. So what???

That guy is an idiot. Everyone had the same information as everyone else. What a douche.

I think you should have moved the draft until after the regular season was over, that way everyone knows what they are drafting.

If I was the commish and this type of person was in my league I would tell him to stop being a biatch or give up his team and let someone take his spot. Geez, do you commissioners really put up with this amateur BS? Why would you cater to such an awful human being? And why did you make a thread catering to this worthless POS?

No issue here. You held the draft the same time as normal and everybody had the same opportunity to get Tommy.

As a matter of fact, this guy is being pretty dooshy about this. You should punch him in the face in front of his wife and kids.

He deserves more than that.

You should kneel outside the owners bedroom window and sing

If I could turn back time

If I could find a way

I'd take back those words that hurt you

And you'd stay

If I could reach the stars

I'd give them all to you

Then you'd love me, love me

Like you used to do

• Like 1

You should kneel outside the owners bedroom window and sing

If I could turn back time

If I could find a way

I'd take back those words that hurt you

And you'd stay

If I could reach the stars

I'd give them all to you

Then you'd love me, love me

Like you used to do

Nah. Put on a Brady mask and sing Take A Chance On Me.

Ideally you draft as late as possible to negate as many unknowns (Brady court case, final cuts etc...) as possible. But in your case, you guys have been doing this for awhile on the same date. I would have stayed status quo as well. From my experience, it's hard to get everyone to be available on Labor Day weekend, because of multiple family responsibilities/ long weekend get aways. So I think the way you have it set up is a good solution.

Scobee missed two field goals on Thursday night. I'm telling the commish we need to redraft becuase I never would have picked him if I knew what was going to happen. (And I would have drafted Gronk.)

Seriously, I think any time after the third preseason games is OK, since the fourth games seldom mean anything. Our league has found it impossible to draft over the Labor Day weekend, so we do it sometime the week before. And someone got a steal on Brady - so be it.

That guy is an idiot. Everyone had the same information as everyone else. What a douche.

Major Douche Bag.