Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Early Observations - NFC

Good point about SF. Chip seems to endorse throwing to one receiver and one receiver only. Torrey Smith might be undervalued. I wonder if he can do more than run fly patterns. Eric Rodgers might turn into a super duper sleeper hype train darling for the summer.

I like janis. He's an interesting case. Cobb proved to me he is only a 2nd banana, and Adams had every chance in the world to succeed and wilted, so the door is open for janis. Problem is, and i've actually been watching him for awhile, is that he runs perhaps the shíttiest routes I've ever seen. Go routes? He let's the DB guide him to the sideline so he has no room to catch the ball. Deep out? You can't round that corner, jeff. Press coverage? Good luck.

Even in that game against the cardinals. His first touchdown was on a play where rogers scrambled for 6 seconds, so it basically turned into backyard ball. And then, of course, the hail mary. The question for him will be can he be productive in system.

Packers games were painful to watch last year. Adams couldn't get open and when he did or more accurately Rodgers fit the ball in a 2 foot window, he dropped the pass. Cobb couldn't create space. Janis was all over the place, and no one seems to realize this, but he got beat out by rookie Ty Montgomery for the 3rd receiver gig, and Montgomery actually could create space. He started developing chemistry with Rodgers and then in like week 6 or something got what apparently was the worst sprained ankle in the history of sprained ankles and didn't play for the rest of the season.

Montgomery ended up getting surgery on that ankle, and why everyone is drooling all over janis, just remember, they turned to Montgomery over janis when they had to choose, and ty produced. If that ankle is healed, Montgomery in the last round is a better value than janis in the 10th or wherever you're going to need to draft him.

I like janis. He's an interesting case. Cobb proved to me he is only a 2nd banana, and Adams had every chance in the world to succeed and wilted, so the door is open for janis. Problem is, and i've actually been watching him for awhile, is that he runs perhaps the shíttiest routes I've ever seen. Go routes? He let's the DB guide him to the sideline so he has no room to catch the ball. Deep out? You can't round that corner, jeff. Press coverage? Good luck.

Even in that game against the cardinals. His first touchdown was on a play where rogers scrambled for 6 seconds, so it basically turned into backyard ball. And then, of course, the hail mary. The question for him will be can he productive in system.

Packers games were painful to watch last year. Adams couldn't get open and when he did or more accurately Rodgers fit the ball in a 2 foot window, he dropped the pass. Cobb couldn't create space. Janis was all over the place, and no one seems to realize this, but he got beat out by rookie Ty Montgomery for the 3rd receiver gig, and Montgomery actually could create space. He started developing chemistry with Rodgers and then in like week 6 or something got what apparently was the worst sprained ankle in the history of sprained ankles and didn't play for the rest of the season.

Montgomery ended up getting surgery on that ankle, and why everyone is drooling all over janis, just remember, they turned to Montgomery over janis when they had to choose, and ty produced. If that ankle is healed. Montgomery in the last round is a better value than janis in the 10th or wherever you're going to need to draft him.

Yeah, I don't think there is any doubt Janis has reached almost folk-hero status. You certainly don't have to remind me about Montgomery either. GB had all kinds of plans for him before that sprained ankle to beat all sprained ankles. Now I don't see how Montgomery is any higher than No. 5 on the depth chart.

Janis reminds me of Chris Matthews from a few years ago. He had that great super bowl and then nothing. I bought into the potential a bit. I was a little surprised that he did absolutely nothing after that super bowl. He has good height and decent athleticism, with very good jumping ability. I thought working with Wilson would be very beneficial.

Even in that game against the cardinals. His first touchdown was on a play where rogers scrambled for 6 seconds, so it basically turned into backyard ball. And then, of course, the hail mary. The question for him will be can he productive in system.

Montgomery ended up getting surgery on that ankle, and why everyone is drooling all over janis, just remember, they turned to Montgomery over janis when they had to choose, and ty produced. If that ankle is healed. Montgomery in the last round is a better value than janis in the 10th or wherever you're going to need to draft him.

Agree about Cobb. Just knew he would step up last year when Nelson went down only to see him flop. He is good as a number 2 but definitely can't hold up as the number 1

Janis reminds me of Chris Matthews from a few years ago. He had that great super bowl and then nothing. I bought into the potential a bit. I was a little surprised that he did absolutely nothing after that super bowl. He has good height and decent athleticism, with very good jumping ability. I thought working with Wilson would be very beneficial.

Good comparison. I think the problem with Matthews was twofold: 1) Seattle wasn't ready to embrace a pass-heavy offense quite yet and 2) Matthews probably was never much of a route-runner. (I say probably b/c the Super Bowl is the only time I remember seeing him play and one game does not make one a good/bad route-runner.

The good thing about Janis - besides being more athletic and faster than Matthews - is that he is already in an offense that will throw the ball. I think it is probably wise to remember Janis is going into his third season. I think it is realistic to suggest Janis didn't run a ton of routes at Saginaw Valley State, so he probably should be given at least two years to make that transition.

I'm interested in your thoughts on Eric Rogers in SF.

Mine?

I'm a little gun-shy on CFL players now after seeing how quickly the NFL decided Duron Carter "wasn't a fit", but I liked the 1-2 games I saw of Rogers last summer. I hope he's added some muscle lately, however, because I don't think he's anywhere close to his listed weight (210); I'd say 200 tops. At any rate, I don't think he could hold up in the slot, so I don't think he'll be there all that much. He's good good size (6-3), I like how he tracks the ball over his shoulder and he appears to be a hands-catcher, so he's some of the basic ingredients needed to succeed in a Chip Kelly offense. He doesn't sink his hips when he cuts and runs high, which is asking for trouble when you're tall and built as thin as he is. I wouldn't say it would be an upset if he beat out Patton for a starting job.

• Like 1

Hey Guru, I asked this in a different thread, but since your here and we got 49ers talk.

What about Quinton Patton? Your initial thoughts on him, and thoughts now?

I whiffed bigtime on the kid. I had him as my #2 Wr that rookie draft. Others liked him also. I know Frozen just said he screwed up on the kid also. Is he still salvageable, or lost cause?

Over the last 5 years, Patton, and Greg Salas were my 2 big swing and misses. I think my ego is still bruised here.

Even in that game against the cardinals. His first touchdown was on a play where rogers scrambled for 6 seconds, so it basically turned into backyard ball. And then, of course, the hail mary. The question for him will be can he be productive in system.

Montgomery ended up getting surgery on that ankle, and why everyone is drooling all over janis, just remember, they turned to Montgomery over janis when they had to choose, and ty produced. If that ankle is healed, Montgomery in the last round is a better value than janis in the 10th or wherever you're going to need to draft him.

Janis? Isn't Jordy Nelson coming back or did they trade him. If Nelson and Cobb are back Janis is an afterthought with no value. Maybe I'm missing something.

Jordy makes that offense really go. No one knew how important he was until he went down.

I'm in a dynasty league. I need to acquire people who are going to be good in a year or two.

If any of the SF wrs are going to do anything, my money's on Ellington

Rogers was one of Kelly's first pickups. Ellington has had health issues and Patton doesn't get separation. To me, Smith will be a poor man's DeSean Jackson at best and I'd avoid all other SF wrs. Rogers will get the first opportunity, but he's a deep bench stash at best

Havent checked out this article yet but I am invested in the Packers WR 3 battle. Have 3 Janis copies, one with a kick returner bonus, and another league where I took a chance on Adams-Montgomery picking up both for Jimmy G who was entering his must move year.

My short take on Adams is that I think he deserves another shot. He pretty much went from a rookie playing off Jordy and Cobb to being thrust into a major role. He hurt his ankle early in the year and knee later.

Sometimes these young players just don't know what it takes to win week in week out in the NFL. What a grind it is. Sometimes they need reps to get comfortable not thinking out there and let their play making show.

Lots of players sometimes struggle for whatever reason. Mike Evans and DT had boat loads of drops last year and they were relatively healthy playing in roles they seemed ready for.

I don't think Adams was as good as we though initially nor as poor as the current notion.

It's going to be interesting to see how the Giants play this year with Coughlin retired.

Rogers was one of Kelly's first pickups. Ellington has had health issues and Patton doesn't get separation. To me, Smith will be a poor man's DeSean Jackson at best and I'd avoid all other SF wrs. Rogers will get the first opportunity, but he's a deep bench stash at best

yeah, at this point there is no point drafting him until he makes the team and you know his spot on the depth chart.

hes a bit of a lotto ticket at this point. He performed well in the CFL.

substantially better than the comparable some are using (Duron Carter). I think teams gave up on Duron Carter because hes got an attitude that teams dont want in their dressing room either. (unless you can put up Moss like numbers)

Duron Carter is back in the CFL and in hot water for shoving a coach on the opposing team. if this gives you an indication as to what this guy is like off the field, you have a better idea of why he didnt Make the NFL.

I think Rodgers makes the team in San Fran. The question I have is whether he starts or not. I'm predicting 40 catches for 500 yards for his rookie season in the NFL.

likely he spends a fair bit of time as their #4 WR and gets a handful of starts late in the year. He is more likely a player you may consider drafting Next year as compared to this year.

Make no mistake about it, hes a player to watch, but I think he needs an adjustment period. The biggest adjustment at the NFL level is that he will face more Jams at the line. CFL rules make it harder to do this, so in the NFL this will be an adjustment he will need to make. That being said, hes good size, so it wouldnt surprise me if he can beat the jam.

but this is one of the questions I have about him. I did see a lot of him as I do live in Calgary where he played last year.