Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

Somehow I've gotten to the point of a single digit handicap and the occasional 70s round with a ridiculously flat backswing that resulted in a closed clubface at the top. Not only was I often getting stuck, but over the years I've learned to hold off the release as a way of dealing with said closed clubface.

I've now fixed my backswing to get the hands above that right shoulder, and the result is the clubface squares itself naturally. My swing speed is up and I feel free......but playing last Sunday, I couldn't stop holding off the release. It meant a wide open clubface and a slice the likes I haven't had since I was a golfer trying to break 100 each time out. I still managed an 89 on an easy course (Pecan Valley Hills), but it felt like I shot a 105.

So I've been working on the release all week. It feels like I'm back to basics.

• Like 1

Somehow I've gotten to the point of a single digit handicap and the occasional 70s round with a ridiculously flat backswing that resulted in a closed clubface at the top. Not only was I often getting stuck, but over the years I've learned to hold off the release as a way of dealing with said closed clubface.

I've now fixed my backswing to get the hands above that right shoulder, and the result is the clubface squares itself naturally. My swing speed is up and I feel free......but playing last Sunday, I couldn't stop holding off the release. It meant a wide open clubface and a slice the likes I haven't had since I was a golfer trying to break 100 each time out. I still managed an 89 on an easy course (Pecan Valley Hills), but it felt like I shot a 105.

So I've been working on the release all week. It feels like I'm back to basics.

Check your head movement. Is it rotating open with the release? If so, try one of two things. At setup, tilt head slightly away from target or keep chin pointed at or behind ball at impact.

Shot 76 today (39 on front 3 bogeys 1 birdie 37 on back 1 double 1 birdie)...felt like it was best round of my life. Played each shot individually and managed mistakes when they arose. The double on back was failure to commit to 2nd shot, rushed and put myself in jail. Crushed my usual playing partner (who outdrives me by up to 40 yards) by 14.

I had one sub 80 round last year (78), two rounds at 80.... Before last year I broke 80 one time, and i shot a 72 (which included an awful double bogey. 5 birds, 3 bogeys and a double), slope of the course was 130, so not a cupcake track.

I am a ridiculously streaky player. My rounds are pretty much just made up of runs, how many and how long decide whether its a good day or a bad day.

Have yet to play this year, but enter with an 8.6 HCP. Need some bad early rounds to give myself and teammate a chance in the early tournaments.

I had one sub 80 round last year (78), two rounds at 80.... Before last year I broke 80 one time, and i shot a 72 (which included an awful double bogey. 5 birds, 3 bogeys and a double), slope of the course was 130, so not a cupcake track.

I am a ridiculously streaky player. My rounds are pretty much just made up of runs, how many and how long decide whether its a good day or a bad day.

Have yet to play this year, but enter with an 8.6 HCP. Need some bad early rounds to give myself and teammate a chance in the early tournaments.

just aim left

got to the range yesterday. little cold and windy but perfectly bearable. Only the second time i've been able to hit balls with my new driver. Going to take a little while to get used to the shaft which is a bit more flexible of a stiff as opposed to the matrix ozik I was playing before. I really couldnt snap hook that driver if i tried but this one I hit 4 or 5 snaps yesterday.

was hitting my irons straighter and longer (even with the wind) than I was to end last year when I was fighting an unintentional high fade-push. I always enjoy the first time you start hitting balls after a long layoff and the first few rounds you play when your swing thoughts are clear and fresh. If anything I had a little pull with the irons which I was happy about.

DJ had to chip a ball left handed today (he was up against a tree) no problem, chipped it to 2 feet. Unreal.

Going to take a little while to get used to the shaft which is a bit more flexible of a stiff

We all know you need no practice with a stiff shaft

Headed out in a few for my second round of the year. High 40s with a light breeze currently. It was 70 yesterday :rolleyes:

I would be happy to break 90 today

I got 18 in last night. 430 to 8. Was nice. Thought about giving it a try this morning, still not sure.

Somehow I ended up deleting my post from earlier for some odd reason. Ended up shooting 86. Hit it great but didnt make a putt over 4 feet :(

Good lord my putter is cold so far, greens are bumpy so it's somewhat understandable. I had 6 birdie putts in 9 holes Monday night and missed all of them, 3 putting twice. Shot 41 when I should've been around 38 :(

Good lord my putter is cold so far, greens are bumpy so it's somewhat understandable. I had 6 birdie putts in 9 holes Monday night and missed all of them, 3 putting twice. Shot 41 when I should've been around 38 :(

Yeah tough time of year with sandy, punched greens

Yeah tough time of year with sandy, punched greens

Like his vadge

Shaft: Project X 5.5

I'm an admitted club tweaker.. Partly bcoz of the quest to find the illusive Holy Grail, but mostly bcoz it's just fun to do.... Picked this up and tried in my Ping G driver - I was not thrilled.. This Project X 5.5 is a low spinning shaft, which I like - but it launched my drives lower than I cared to see, wasn't hitting a satisfactory carry distance... So - I tip trimmed it 1/2", cut to the standard Ping G 3 wood length (43") - and stuck it in my 3 wood.

Wow - I love it. This really matched up to what I was doing and has the added bonus of being about 6 grams (62g) lighter than the stock Alta (68g) that came with it... In reality, the Alta shaft isn't terrible - in fact it's pretty solid. I just didn't like the heaviness of it... The Project X 5.5 allows me to still play my 3 wood at 14.5* and get a desired carry distance - all the while penetrating thru our Texas winds.... Obviously when I trip trimmed it, the properties changed - plays a bit stiffer than a 5.5, prefect for a 3 wood shaft........ But she's like a woman, does not like to be rushed. Have to really stay connected and swing in balance to catch the kick - she's not for the brute, wild ass banger.

And here's the real kicker - I got it for $27... throw in $10 for sleeve adapter, $5 for a grip - was less than $40 total. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Project-X-Graphite-Driver-Shaft-Firm-Flex-5-5-335-Tip-Incredible-Price/132041125348?hash=item1ebe43ade4:g:2tMAAOSw7FRWZ1GV:sc:USPSPriority!76179!US!-1

Courses are just now starting to open up here. :wall:

Web.com is in my neck of the woods this week for the United Leasing Championship.

That course is a little slice of heaven, I'll be there Sunday and Saturday, looking forward to it. Got the VIP hookup with drinks and all the fixings.

I think it has 2 of the 5 toughest holes on the web.com tour if I remember correctly.

EDIT: 3 of the top 5.

Supposed to play Sunday, high of 41 with possible snow. On the next to last day of April :rolleyes:

Supposed to play Sunday, high of 41 with possible snow. On the next to last day of April :rolleyes:

We've actually been on a bad streak of weekend weather - flat out shiity, cold and wet... Finally going to be sunny and 85* this weekend. B)

Playing tomorrow morning if my underlings can finish the work they should have finished while I was on vacation last week.

Its like waiting for KSB to pick in EdEx

I'm not opposed to colored balls. I play the yellow Srixon myself - but good gosh, those are impossible to see.

Which geek would set us up with free ball offers from time to time? We need him back.

Played 9 Saturday morning.

birdie, 2 pars, 2 snowmen and a 7 for a 49 :cry:

last 2 rounds, lost 6 balls. I typically avg 1 lost per round. can't even blame the mud.

Never got to 41 while we were playing, low to mid 30s with decent wind for the whole round. Flurries on the front <_<

Still shot 87 somehow, hitting the ball the best I can remember at the beginning of the year but still not making ANY putts. Short game is killing me right now :(

Now we are getting somewhere. The rebuilt backswing finally feels natural enough that I could put some downswing triggers back in. Finally got a day without 20 mph winds here in DFW....Played Cowboys Golf Club. And we are off.

Hit 12 of 14 fairways.

Hit 10 greens in regulation.

29 putts (7 one putts, 0 three putts)

3 birdies.

I did have to take 3 drops.

Add it up and it was a 4 over par round of 76.

• Like 2

I have heard that you have to hit those quite a bit more firmly when putting, and they also don't fly as far. Something different, though. :dunno:

45 holes Saturday, 27 today - I'm one tired ass mofo.. 76 and 73 in my main money rounds - should of been 80s if not for my short game - hit it like shiit.

Last several rounds I've been in the 70s without putting great. Friday's round of 78 included hitting 11 GIRs (and on fringe of 3 others) and although I didn't 3 putt any, I didn't sink one birdie putt. :cry:

Played in a club scramble yesterday, teams were made by handicap.

Our #1 was AWESOME! dude crushed it, was so clutch. Our #2 was a dud, couldn't even drive it 175, used a hybrid from 150+ had a dude that was 75 and a chick (yes, groups of 5)

15 teams. we shot 8 under - 5 teams shot 10 under

I drained a 30 foot birdie and stuck 2, 7 irons, I helped them team with 3 easy birdies.

Fock you #2, you suck :mad:

The old dude was a playah!, he got to hit from the tees, we used his drive at least 3 or 4 times. had to use everyone's tee shot a min of 2 times. We had to use the #2 guys 150 yard drive on a par 4 :mad:

Played in a scramble on Friday too. Also finished -8 with the winning team coming in at -13. I hit the ball decently considering that I have not played at all this year. Won a signed Gronk photo in the raffle, though. :banana:

I have a big tourney next Wed and spent the weekend tuning up. I have a bad habit of collapsing the trail elbow less than 90*. Its ridiculous how crisp and consistent shots are when trying to keep trail arm as straight as possible.

Played in a club scramble yesterday, teams were made by handicap.

Our #1 was AWESOME! dude crushed it, was so clutch. Our #2 was a dud, couldn't even drive it 175, used a hybrid from 150+ had a dude that was 75 and a chick (yes, groups of 5)

15 teams. we shot 8 under - 5 teams shot 10 under

I drained a 30 foot birdie and stuck 2, 7 irons, I helped them team with 3 easy birdies.

Fock you #2, you suck :mad:

The old dude was a playah!, he got to hit from the tees, we used his drive at least 3 or 4 times. had to use everyone's tee shot a min of 2 times. We had to use the #2 guys 150 yard drive on a par 4 :mad:

A guy who can't hit 175 has a low handicap. :dunno:

A guy who can't hit 175 has a low handicap. :dunno:

He was unreal around the greens, he hit it right down the middle every shot too. just swung like a girl with a shoulder injury

you have to have a handicap to play at my course in any tournament