Sign in to follow this  
reindogg

How does your keeper league work?

My commish didn't lay out any longterm rules. This year we keep two and pay what he cost last year. But after that...

How does your league work?

In a 2 player, keeper/auction league. You can keep up to 2 players at their cost at auction last year, but you can only keep them for one additional year. I got MJD for $21 and AJ for $20 last year at auction ($120 cap). I'm going to keep them this year, but they go back in the pool for the 2010 season. FA pick ups that end up keepers cost us 1 dollar toward the cap. Last year I was able to keep Grant for an extra year for a buck. We just added a new rule that allows us to trade our players during the off season, although I don't anticipate too many off season trades going down.

My commish didn't lay out any longterm rules. This year we keep two and pay what he cost last year. But after that...

How does your league work?

The easiest way to do it is to just set a cap on the number of years you can keep a player. Such as the above poster said...a year, two years, whatever the league decides. But this is something the league should decide right NOW before you get any furthur along in the process. Otherwide people will be complaining when they are told next year they can't keep Adrian Peterson nemore or something.

Another pretty simple option is to just increase a players value by $5 every year, or by 20% every year, or by whatever the league decides.

Another somewhat more advanced option is to have the players subject to arbitration. Where maybe in the first year kept a player is brought up to 50% of his market value, and the second year he is brought up to 80% of his market value. Market value is all subject to what the league decides. You could use FFToday auction values, Espn, etc...whatever the league decides. So if Adrian Peterson has a market value of $50 and you got him at $15 in his rookie year, well then the first year he would cost 50% of market value, or $25. Then if you were to keep him the following year he would cost 80% of whatever his new market value is.

Just make a decision on this NOW before it is too late.

We keep three and you have to give a draft pick two rounds ahead of where you drafted him. This goes up two rounds for every year you keep a guy.

For example, if you drafted Chris Johson in the 8th round last year, you would give up a 6th rounder this year to keep him and then a 4th rounder next year.

In the end, no 1st or 2nd rounders are kept.

It works well and promotes off season trading. Though if you can get a future stud late in the draft, you can have him forever (I got Adrian Peterson late two years ago). :wave:

My 16 teamer allows us to keep 5 players, year to year, no cost or restrictions. You really have to wheel and deal and draft well to improve your team in this league.

We keep three and you have to give a draft pick two rounds ahead of where you drafted him. This goes up two rounds for every year you keep a guy.

For example, if you drafted Chris Johson in the 8th round last year, you would give up a 6th rounder this year to keep him and then a 4th rounder next year.

In the end, no 1st or 2nd rounders are kept.

It works well and promotes off season trading. Though if you can get a future stud late in the draft, you can have him forever (I got Adrian Peterson late two years ago). :wall:

<_<

My league is similar, except there is no limit on keepers. Also, you have the option of keeping one of the 1st or 2nd rounders, but you can't keep anyone else if you do that.

This will be our first year of actually keeping the players. Hopefully it works out.

I tried to make mine as simplistic as possible. It has worked very good over the years.

You keep any 2 players. Keep them as long as you want. They cost your first two picks of the draft.

The only rules... no WW pick-ups or FA's can be kept. No offseason trading (that should be reserved for Dynasty leagues imo).

10 team, $260 auction keeper w/18 player rosters. We add $5 to the previous year's salary. We can keep up to 4 players, but are not obligated to keep anyone. Anyone with a $31+ price tag is not eligible to be frozen. This is our 9th year with this format.

Rookie Keeper rule: We only allow you to keep up to 3 rookies you have drafted into future years. You can keep rookies you draft indefinitely (maximum of 3 can be kept each year). So if I draft Moreno this year, he's mine as for as many years as I want him. If I already have 3 rookie keepers from previous years (i.e. Gore, Jennings and Cal Johnson), I can release one or trade one away for draft picks in order to keep Moreno into the next year. Rookie Keepers can be traded to other teams without losing their keeper status. If a rookie keeper is ever released or dropped, he loses his keeper status and forever and joins the regular pool of players that can be drafted or picked up on the waiver wire. Commish keepes track of the drafting and movement of drafted rookies for the league. Needless to say, this greatly enhances the value rookies in our drafts. Someone like Moreno or Beanie Wells will be drafted in round 1 or 2 most likely. Later for WRs.

• Rookie Keepers: You may elect to keep up to a maximum of three “Rookie Keepers” from your past season's final roster. Other teams are not permitted to draft your Rookie Keepers.

 You acquire Rookie Keepers by drafting rookies or by trading for other teams' drafted rookies and Rookie Keepers. Rookies acquired by free agency or by waivers are ineligible for Rookie Keeper status. Rookie Keepers and drafted rookies may be traded without losing eligibility for Rookie Keeper status.

 The Commish will provide updated Rookie Keeper lists on a regular basis.

 You must declare your maximum of 3 Rookie Keepers from last year’s final roster by the Keeper Declaration Date (early August). Any players that were eligible for Rookie Keeper status that remain undeclared following the Keeper Declaration Date will lose their Rookie Keeper status and will automatically return to the ordinary pool of players.

 Following the Keeper Declaration date and before the draft, teams may acquire additional Rookie Keepers via trades with other teams, but ONLY for Rookies who have been declared.

 The Commish will add all declared Rookie Keepers to the last rounds of the draft before the draft begins.

 Drafted rookies maintain their eligibility for Rookie Keeper status as long as they remain on your roster or another team’s roster after a trade. Once dropped (or released in the off season), Rookie Keepers lose their Rookie Keeper status and return to the ordinary pool of players.