Sign in to follow this  
edjr

Trump weighs mobilizing National Guard for rounding up unauthorized immigrants

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2017/02/17/trump-weighs-mobilizing-national-guard-for-rounding-up-unauthorized-immigrants/

The Trump administration is considering a proposal to mobilize as many as 100,000 National Guard troops to round up unauthorized immigrants, including millions living nowhere near the Mexico border, according to a draft memo obtained by The Associated Press.
The 11-page document calls for the unprecedented militarization of immigration enforcement as far north as Portland, Oregon, and as far east as New Orleans, Louisiana.
Four states that border on Mexico are included in the proposal – California, Arizona, New Mexico and Texas – but it also encompasses seven states contiguous to those four – Oregon, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas and Louisiana.
Governors in the 11 states would have a choice whether to have their guard troops participate, according to the memo, written by U.S. Homeland Security Secretary John Kelly, a retired four-star Marine general.
While National Guard personnel have been used to assist with immigration-related missions on the U.S.-Mexico border before, they have never been used as broadly or as far north.
The memo is addressed to the then-acting heads of U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and U.S. Customs and Border Protection. It would serve as guidance to implement the wide-ranging executive order on immigration and border security that President Donald Trump signed Jan. 25. Such memos are routinely issued to supplement executive orders.
Also dated Jan. 25, the draft memo says participating troops would be authorized “to perform the functions of an immigration officer in relation to the investigation, apprehension and detention of aliens in the United States.” It describes how the troops would be activated under a revived state-federal partnership program, and states that personnel would be authorized to conduct searches and identify and arrest any unauthorized immigrants.
Requests to the White House and the Department of Homeland Security for comment and a status report on the proposal were not answered.
The draft document has circulated among DHS staff over the last two weeks. As recently as Friday, staffers in several different offices reported discussions were underway.
If implemented, the impact could be significant. Nearly one-half of the 11.1 million people residing in the U.S. without authorization live in the 11 states, according to Pew Research Center estimates based on 2014 Census data.
Use of National Guard troops would greatly increase the number of immigrants targeted in one of Trump’s executive orders last month, which expanded the definition of who could be considered a criminal and therefore a potential target for deportation. That order also allows immigration agents to prioritize removing anyone who has “committed acts that constitute a chargeable criminal offense.”
Under current rules, even if the proposal is implemented, there would not be immediate mass deportations. Those with existing deportation orders could be sent back to their countries of origin without additional court proceedings. But deportation orders generally would be needed for most other unauthorized immigrants.
The troops would not be nationalized, remaining under state control.
Spokespeople for the governors of Arizona, Utah, Nevada, California, Colorado, Oklahoma, Oregon and New Mexico said they were unaware of the proposal, and either declined to comment or said it was premature to discuss whether they would participate. The other three states did not immediately respond to the AP.
The proposal would extend the federal-local partnership program that President Barack Obama’s administration began scaling back in 2012 to address complaints that it promoted racial profiling.

Ho Lee Fuk.

Things bout to get real!

While I applaud his stance on immigration, this is really unnecessary and over the top. Build the "wall" to help close the border and go after employers that hire them. This will take care of 50-70% of them. They'll self deport. Then use the actual immigration police to deal with the rest as they come across them. No need to militarize this issue.

Operation Wetback. History repeating its self.

WH denying it.

Likely leaked it...check the reaction is bad...pull it back and deny it ever existed.

Would make more sense (if real) if they dumped this later in the day today though.

Likely leaked it...check the reaction is bad...pull it back and deny it ever existed.

Would make more sense (if real) if they dumped this later in the day today though.

I am sure this happens a lot more than we realize. It kind of makes sense, and in this case it gives a chance for the XO to be tweeked, vetted, or simply put not hastily thrown into action.

I am sure this happens a lot more than we realize. It kind of makes sense, and in this case it gives a chance for the XO to be tweeked, vetted, or simply put not hastily thrown into action.

Oh no doubt...few weeks ago we had the leak about the XO to roll back some of the LGBT protections. There were major people voicing opposition...then we hear...nope, not true. Not happening.

Then he can also claim "fake news" despite things like that being leaked for such a reason.

And no...this isn't new to Trump as far as leaking things as a test balloon. Possibly using it to de-legitimize the media would be a new thing.

Oh no doubt...few weeks ago we had the leak about the XO to roll back some of the LGBT protections. There were major people voicing opposition...then we hear...nope, not true. Not happening.

Then he can also claim "fake news" despite things like that being leaked for such a reason.

And no...this isn't new to Trump as far as leaking things as a test balloon. Possibly using it to de-legitimize the media would be a new thing.

I assumed it happened further back than trump, but your points are well taken.

Doesn't sound like this was that at all. I think we had somebody pump this out without doing any fact checking. Imagine that.

Not saying what you said never happens because both sides do it. This appears not to be that though

I don't like the AP doing this. They state they got a draft copy..

Has it be authenticated? Have they produced a copy of this?

It feeds into Trump's narrative of "fake news".

In all honesty, I wouldn't be surprised if they (Trump's admin) did this deliberately.

Doesn't sound like this was that at all. I think we had somebody pump this out without doing any fact checking. Imagine that.

Not saying what you said never happens because both sides do it. This appears not to be that though

There is an article out there where Spicer says "you all should have asked before you tweeted". Right in the article it says they reached out to the WH and others and received no comment.

There is an article out there where Spicer says "you all should have asked before you tweeted". Right in the article it says they reached out to the WH and others and received no comment.

I dont think the solution is run with the story then..

I dont think the solution is run with the story then..

Precisely. It's reckless journalism because they all smell blood in the water.

If it has been authenticated and they can produce a copy of the draft memo, then it becomes an issue of why such a document would be discussed in the first place.

But anything short of BOTH authentication AND producing the document is a massive slight against reputable journalism.

Feds can't mobilize the NG, they're state run.

Congress can change the Insurrection Act. They did it in 2007. So...this isn't technically true.

Mike Cernovich tweeted out the following: https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/832653797008629764

Multiple sources within the WH have told me that the "memo" on the 100K National Guard soldiers was fake news designed to smoke out leaker.

Sure enough...it looks like this was done in an attempt to find out who is leaking information. I don't know how the press didn't see something like this coming after yesterday's press conference. This could be major egg in the face of the Associated Press

Precisely. It's reckless journalism because they all smell blood in the water.

If it has been authenticated and they can produce a copy of the draft memo, then it becomes an issue of why such a document would be discussed in the first place.

But anything short of BOTH authentication AND producing the document is a massive slight against reputable journalism.

I've been railing against this for a decade. The "news" has been no different than TMZ or PEOPLE magazine. Report first, authenticate - due diligence later.

And what if he did use the National Guard to help round up illegal aliens? What's the big deal?

Mike Cernovich tweeted out the following: https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/832653797008629764

Sure enough...it looks like this was done in an attempt to find out who is leaking information. I don't know how the press didn't see something like this coming after yesterday's press conference. This could be major egg in the face of the Associated Press

President Trump is too smart for all of them. I love it!

What kind of moron needs to gauge what the reaction would be to this?

Even if you support 100% deportation, this would be madness. Chaos in the streets. And I'm sure the various guard units would love that duty.

:lol: Fake news to catch the leaks and very fake news ran with it.

How can anyone trust the MSM any more. Only idiots can.

:lol: Fake news to catch the leaks and very fake news ran with it.

How can anyone trust the MSM any more. Only idiots can.

They reported on a document that existed. It wasn't a true document as it was spread to provide this (and as I said earlier so Trump could claim fake nes to everyone). and you idiots Trust Trump despite lie after lie. Why is that?

They reported on a document that existed. It wasn't a true document as it was spread to provide this (and as I said earlier so Trump could claim fake nes to everyone). and you idiots Trust Trump despite lie after lie. Why is that?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Everything you believe is a LIE!!!!

Quicker you understand we dont answer to you fockface...the better off we will all be. You act like we owe you an explanation for things YOU focking go tilt on daily.

It was faked to embarass the media again...and it worked pathetically easily.

Naturally none of us expect you to call out the media...that still is somehow trumps fault.

Im really starting to wonder how you even function daily.

Quicker you understand we dont answer to you fockface...the better off we will all be. You act like we owe you an explanation for things YOU focking go tilt on daily.

It was faked to embarass the media again...and it worked pathetically easily.

Naturally none of us expect you to call out the media...that still is somehow trumps fault.

Im really starting to wonder how you even function daily.

Ok. Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that you are correct. This document was a brilliant and successful attempt to troll the media, and by extension, the American people.

Are you really cool with that? The president of the United States wasting his time and energy focking with people? Like a focking internet troll?

I mean god damn. How juvenile is this gonna get?

Ok. Let's assume, for the sake of argument, that you are correct. This document was a brilliant and successful attempt to troll the media, and by extension, the American people.

Are you really cool with that? The president of the United States wasting his time and energy focking with people? Like a focking internet troll?

Trumptards are mostly interested with settling scores with libruls, blacks, the media etc. Actually governing is pretty far down Drumpf's to do list.

• Like 1

Trump has proven that is all he is ...this...his twitter...most of his rally speeches.

And what if he did use the National Guard to help round up illegal aliens? What's the big deal?

I've been in the guard, We're not experts or magically able to make thigs work the first time. I know the guard would have no focking idea about how to go about doing this and you'd have to be willing to eat at least a year or two's worth of bad press over both too aggressive and too passive fuckups before somebody figures out exactly how to go about it properly.

Better off to expand INS and go get INS hiring people for this job. You'll get people that signed up for and want to do this job. Speaking for myself, I'm a soft touch. Helping with natural disasters or even a non-retarded war is cool but I wouldn't have wanted anything to do with this duty.

I've been in the guard, We're not experts or magically able to make thigs work the first time. I know the guard would have no focking idea about how to go about doing this and you'd have to be willing to eat at least a year or two's worth of bad press over both too aggressive and too passive fuckups before somebody figures out exactly how to go about it properly.

Better off to expand INS and go get INS hiring people for this job. You'll get people that signed up for and want to do this job. Speaking for myself, I'm a soft touch. Helping with natural disasters or even a non-retarded war is cool but I wouldn't have wanted anything to do with this duty.

This. Tearing a mother or father away from their screaming kids is not a job any decent person would want.

They could be used as back up, help out with the logistics, transportation ect. Supplement ICE, not run their own operations.

This. Tearing a mother or father away from their screaming kids is not a job any decent person would want.

Yet police do it everyday when people break the law. You know, when they do things, that are illegal....