Sign in to follow this  
MikeK

Bryce Brown...finally worth dropping?

I'm in a PPR, 12-team league. I've been holding a bench spot for BB since my league's draft, hoping our league's McCoy owner would talk trade (he won't) or that McCoy would be injured and then Brown would get the start (not looking likely). Is it finally worth dropping him to free up usable space on my team?

definitely dont drop him. you know you're heart skipped a beat or two a few weeks back when it looked like he had a high ankle sprain. i have the same two, and cant afford to drop brown in any way.

• Like 1

And add what? Brown's value is "meh" now, but most drafted him as 1) handcuff to McCoy 2) to dangle in front of the McCoy owner if and when McCoy gets hurt 3) his value spiking should #2 happen.

I am skeptical that McCoy plays all season, with the workload and other factors. He goes down, and Brown is GOLD. That said, I have Brown and please drop him.. the moment you do, Brown will be a factor. Just sayin. ;)

Seriously he is worth keeping like Ben Tate due to his value should the main guy go down.. These guys have talent and are not just your prototypical backups. Both can and will make an impact if Foster or McCoy go down.

Why run the risk of getting in line to try and re-obtain should that happen?

Again, I ask what is the league-changer that you are adding in his place?

• Like 1

The McCoy owner is taking a HUGE gamble for not wanting to talk trade. As long as you hang onto brown, you'll make him pay for it when shady gets hurt. It's a long season.

I own shady on one of my teams and made sure to handcuff him. The way I look at it, it's cheap insurance. That's a gigantic void in your lineup if he goes down.

• Like 1

definitely dont drop him. you know you're heart skipped a beat or two a few weeks back when it looked like he had a high ankle sprain. i have the same two, and cant afford to drop brown in any way.

True.

And add what? Brown's value is "meh" now, but most drafted him as 1) handcuff to McCoy 2) to dangle in front of the McCoy owner if and when McCoy gets hurt 3) his value spiking should #2 happen.

I am skeptical that McCoy plays all season, with the workload and other factors. He goes down, and Brown is GOLD. That said, I have Brown and please drop him.. the moment you do, Brown will be a factor. Just sayin. ;)

Seriously he is worth keeping like Ben Tate due to his value should the main guy go down.. These guys have talent and are not just your prototypical backups. Both can and will make an impact if Foster or McCoy go down.

Why run the risk of getting in line to try and re-obtain should that happen?

Again, I ask what is the league-changer that you are adding in his place?

Honestly, I'm not sure who I'd pick up in BB's place. McCoy's owner has Hartline and Roddy (I'm a bit thin at WR so maybe either of those two dudes would be "equal" in his eyes, but I dunno). I do agree that the moment I drop him, McCoy will blow out his MCL/ACL on the first drive of the game for Philly. lol

The McCoy owner is taking a HUGE gamble for not wanting to talk trade. As long as you hang onto brown, you'll make him pay for it when shady gets hurt. It's a long season.

I own shady on one of my teams and made sure to handcuff him. The way I look at it, it's cheap insurance. That's a gigantic void in your lineup if he goes down.

His team is 2-3 and in eighth place in our league for a reason...lol. He is refusing to take a little gamble and get some insurance on his best player! I wish I could change his mind.

his value now is the same as it was on draft day, and same as it will be until McCoy gets hurt. Sure there was some speculation that they'll run both guys, but McCoy has been the man. He's getting a lot of touches, which could a) lead to injury, or B) lead to them sharing the workload more down the road.

If you didn't want to be in this position, you never should have drafted him in the 1st place, because you wasted a roster spot for 5 weeks. Guys like him, Mike Bush, Joquiel, Helu, etc are dudes you either just hang onto or never deal with in the first place...

HTH

his value now is the same as it was on draft day, and same as it will be until McCoy gets hurt. Sure there was some speculation that they'll run both guys, but McCoy has been the man. He's getting a lot of touches, which could a) lead to injury, or B) lead to them sharing the workload more down the road.

If you didn't want to be in this position, you never should have drafted him in the 1st place, because you wasted a roster spot for 5 weeks. Guys like him, Mike Bush, Joquiel, Helu, etc are dudes you either just hang onto or never deal with in the first place...

HTH

No, his value is not the same. He was a long shot lotto ticket who hasn't come in yet. The odds of him being useful this season are now lower than they were at the beginning of the season.

People didn't say they wanted to be in this position, it's just that many now find themselves here. FF is a fluid game, things change.

And yes, I find myself in this predicament. I don't like giving up on the lotto ticket to cover bye week players, but I find other players like Danny Woodhead and Zac Stacy more appealing now.

I dropped B Brown to pick up A Brown today. But I waited until the WW period was over crossing fingers nobody would pick him up this early. So I still have the #1WW priority.

I was stashing B Brown and Tate (don't own Roster or McCoy) due to their incredible upside should McCoy or Foster go down (owners would not bite on any trades). With Tate I was hoping that his continued ascendency and Foster's volume of carries and injuries would slow him down this season. Instead, Foster is getting better and Tate had that huge fumble against Seattle.

McCoy looks great, AND with Brown's fumble issues, I'm not sure he is the auto-replacement that Tate is. I envision more of a 60/40 split with Polk, and I can see Polk getting a lot of the GL work due to Brown's butter fingers.

Decided to drop B Brown because he has done so little to this point that I don't see anyone but the owner picking him up as insurance and he has bench issues, esp with the massive byes coming up in Weeks 8, 9 and 10. I believe that A Brown WILL get the starting gig when he returns and that is worth something, even on a bad Giants team. Assuming they don't give up, they should get better, and my hope is that they play hard to end the season during the FF playoffs.

Now watch B Brown get picked up, McCoy get hurt this weekend

It doesn't make any sense to draft someone's handcuff and not ride him out the whole season. His value only increases as the season progresses. It's just about the same logic as drafting someone who's suspended and then dropping them before the suspension is up.

• Like 1

It doesn't make any sense to draft someone's handcuff and not ride him out the whole season. His value only increases as the season progresses. It's just about the same logic as drafting someone who's suspended and then dropping them before the suspension is up.

Nice analogy. I think I'm going to "ride it out" with BB. Thanks!

It should be noted that I have another high-performing handcuff, Joique, on my bench. Although he's actually been a productive and worthy starter for me already this year, given Bush's injuries.

Nice analogy. I think I'm going to "ride it out" with BB. Thanks!

A bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush. Yes, I would hold onto these guys if nothing better came along. But consider owners who dropped a Tate or B Brown to "speculate" on Moreno or a guy like that. I think that A Brown has a very GOOD chance of becoming the guy in NY while B Brown needs an injury for it to happen. I'd prefer to play the odds, so it just depends on your situation.

No, his value is not the same. He was a long shot lotto ticket who hasn't come in yet. The odds of him being useful this season are now lower than they were at the beginning of the season.

People didn't say they wanted to be in this position, it's just that many now find themselves here. FF is a fluid game, things change.

And yes, I find myself in this predicament. I don't like giving up on the lotto ticket to cover bye week players, but I find other players like Danny Woodhead and Zac Stacy more appealing now.

you mean people magically ended up with BB on their roster. They didn't want him, but got him, and now they're in a predicament?!?!? You're not very bright dog...

What bizarro logic are you applying here thinking a handcuff's value rises with less opportunity to seize the starting role? The value decreases if the starter hasn't been injured. The odds of McCoy getting injured this season are now less than the odds were of McCoy getting injured at the beginning of the season. It's not really up for debate, you're just plain wrong from a mathematical/Vegas type perspective.

It can make sense for someone to dump the non-payoff handcuff now because other opportunities are valued higher - ie Zac, Woodhead, A Brown.

The logical equivalent is not someone coming off a suspension but instead someone facing a suspension. His value decreases every week that McCoy is healthy. Right now Bryce's max is 9 weeks because no one in their right mind would play him this week or on his bye. His value is decreasing weekly.

I can't believe someone read your post and thought there was any value there. It was like this board's version of dumb and dumber.

you mean people magically ended up with BB on their roster. They didn't want him, but got him, and now they're in a predicament?!?!? You're not very bright dog...

No, people drafted him and are now comparing his current decreased value with alternatives.

C'mon pooh I think you can understand this. If not, maybe you can get together with Fakey and Mikey in some type of remedial league.

What bizarro logic are you applying here thinking a handcuff's value rises with less opportunity to seize the starting role? The value decreases if the starter hasn't been injured. The odds of McCoy getting injured this season are now less than the odds were of McCoy getting injured at the beginning of the season. It's not really up for debate, you're just plain wrong from a mathematical/Vegas type perspective.

It can make sense for someone to dump the non-payoff handcuff now because other opportunities are valued higher - ie Zac, Woodhead, A Brown.

The logical equivalent is not someone coming off a suspension but instead someone facing a suspension. His value decreases every week that McCoy is healthy. Right now Bryce's max is 9 weeks because no one in their right mind would play him this week or on his bye. His value is decreasing weekly.

I can't believe someone read your post and thought there was any value there. It was like this board's version of dumb and dumber.

I think FakeFootballzFun means that the chance of a team's starter being injured (especially if they get 25-30 touches a game like Shady) increases as the season progresses, so your chances of getting that handcuff to play are higher with each game. I wouldn't say the handcuff's value increases necessarily, just their odds of maybe seeing more field time and/or getting regular starts.

value definitely decreases. You went from hoping to get x games out of BB to X-5 out of BB. However, the point I'm making is if you subscribe to the theory of taking high value backups, which I do every year, then you have to have a gameplan to ride them out. Saying that after 5 weeks he's not hurt so he won't be all season is an utter lack of commitment. Sure there are by weeks and short benches and all that, so it's not a hard and fast rule you hold onto him till the end of the season, but you have to have a gameplan in place or else you're just flailing in the wind. Drop him or Tate or Helu or whatever and the next week dude gets hurt, that's a stud RB1 you could be riding to a championship. The other part of the equation is that a lot of people chase the flavor of the month. Some WR that got 151 and 2 tds, you're gonna go drop BB for him? That never makes sense. You need to have a decent solid starting lineup, and then if you subscribe to the theory of holding high value backups, you hold them till you absolutely can't anymore. Having BB on the roster is better than having pettis, trust me...

• Like 1

I dropped B Brown to pick up A Brown today. But I waited until the WW period was over crossing fingers nobody would pick him up this early. So I still have the #1WW priority.

I was stashing B Brown and Tate (don't own Roster or McCoy) due to their incredible upside should McCoy or Foster go down (owners would not bite on any trades). With Tate I was hoping that his continued ascendency and Foster's volume of carries and injuries would slow him down this season. Instead, Foster is getting better and Tate had that huge fumble against Seattle.

McCoy looks great, AND with Brown's fumble issues, I'm not sure he is the auto-replacement that Tate is. I envision more of a 60/40 split with Polk, and I can see Polk getting a lot of the GL work due to Brown's butter fingers.

Decided to drop B Brown because he has done so little to this point that I don't see anyone but the owner picking him up as insurance and he has bench issues, esp with the massive byes coming up in Weeks 8, 9 and 10. I believe that A Brown WILL get the starting gig when he returns and that is worth something, even on a bad Giants team. Assuming they don't give up, they should get better, and my hope is that they play hard to end the season during the FF playoffs.

Now watch B Brown get picked up, McCoy get hurt this weekend

Best post in the thread IMO. Even if McCoy gets hurt, which is not a guarantee, it's not a guarantee that Brown all the sudden becomes an every-down back. I agree that Andre Brown (if available) is more valuable at this point than Bryce Brown.

I'm surprised no one is bringing up Brown's lack of production since breaking out in Weeks 11 & 12 of last season. handbanana brought up the fumbling issues, but also, he hasn't done squat since those two weeks from last year. He'd be getting more touches this year if he was producing, he's not though. Even if McCoy goes down, I question whether BB is good enough to fill his shoes.

value definitely decreases. You went from hoping to get x games out of BB to X-5 out of BB. However, the point I'm making is if you subscribe to the theory of taking high value backups, which I do every year, then you have to have a gameplan to ride them out. Saying that after 5 weeks he's not hurt so he won't be all season is an utter lack of commitment. Sure there are by weeks and short benches and all that, so it's not a hard and fast rule you hold onto him till the end of the season, but you have to have a gameplan in place or else you're just flailing in the wind. Drop him or Tate or Helu or whatever and the next week dude gets hurt, that's a stud RB1 you could be riding to a championship. The other part of the equation is that a lot of people chase the flavor of the month. Some WR that got 151 and 2 tds, you're gonna go drop BB for him? That never makes sense. You need to have a decent solid starting lineup, and then if you subscribe to the theory of holding high value backups, you hold them till you absolutely can't anymore. Having BB on the roster is better than having pettis, trust me...

I agree with this for the most part. That's why it was hard to drop B Brown and why I kept B Tate. I know Tate would grabbed up but there is a chance Brown stays on the WW due to lack of production. But too hard to pass up on the lure of A Brown on a Giants team that is so RB needy and that doesn't trust Wilson. I certainly would not drop B Brown for Pettis or any WR3 that's for sure.

The point of my post is that it's bad logic to invest a draft pick on a guy on the basis of the main guy getting hurt and drop him 1/3 of the way through the season. A better approach would be to grab those handcuffs off waivers halfway or 2/3 through the season if you have the room of course.

The odds of McCoy getting hurt this week are definitely higher than they were week 1.

I never said to keep BB over those guys. I would take all of those guys over BB in a heartbeat. If Woodhead is still on waivers I applaud you for being in a kiddie league.

I thought I made it pretty clear that I was comparing it to someone facing or in the middle of their suspension. Reading comprehension is the nuts.

Have a good day.

• Like 1

The point of my post is that it's bad logic to invest a draft pick on a guy on the basis of the main guy getting hurt and drop him 1/3 of the way through the season. A better approach would be to grab those handcuffs off waivers halfway or 2/3 through the season if you have the room of course.

The odds of McCoy getting hurt this week are definitely higher than they were week 1.

I never said to keep BB over those guys. I would take all of those guys over BB in a heartbeat. If Woodhead is still on waivers I applaud you for being in a kiddie league.

I thought I made it pretty clear that I was comparing it to someone facing or in the middle of their suspension. Reading comprehension is the nuts.

Have a good day.

I understand your point, I think this was a good discussion and I agree with everything you said. It's all context, league size, bench spots, etc.

• Like 1

i don't agree with any of these keep Brown supporters , if you can go out and get a potential starter for your team do it

There's no simple answer. You have to weigh your team and league composition. If your team is solid and you have decent backups, then a marginal player won't be as useful to you because you'll never play him and a potential home-run ticket is a better option. If you think your team can use a marginal player to help cover your match-ups at a flex position or something then that production is more important than the lottery ticket. You just have to analyze your team.

There's no simple answer. You have to weigh your team and league composition. If your team is solid and you have decent backups, then a marginal player won't be as useful to you because you'll never play him and a potential home-run ticket is a better option. If you think your team can use a marginal player to help cover your match-ups at a flex position or something then that production is more important than the lottery ticket. You just have to analyze your team.

Great post.

Everyone wants a generic list that tells them who to drop and who to pick up and who to start and this and that but reality is that if you want to have that edge over everyone else in the league you have to think for yourself and do what's best for the specific situation that your team is in.

Have a good day.

The comparison with regards to Woodhead, for me, is not about who is out on waivers but instead it is about who I would have to drop in order to cover the bye week (Gonzo). For me, I dropped B Brown instead of Woodhead or Gonzo. I am not in some kiddie league.

Reading compreshension - good point. Facing a suspension is different than being in a suspension. A person who is in a suspension has his value rise each week as he approaches the end of it, ie Blackmon's value at draft day vs week 3. A person facing a suspension, say a suspension in week 10 for the rest of the season, has his value drop each week as the suspension gets closer.

B Brown now really only has a potential of 9 relevant games left. 16 minus -5 gone by, -1 for his bye, -1 for next week (because no one in their right mind is going to play him until McCoy gets hurt).