Sign in to follow this  
snatchit

Will we ever see Latavius Murray this year ?

Wondering if he is worth a stash. I know they have a brutal schedule but he is pretty Studley. 6'3" 230 lbs and ran a 4.3 at the combine a few years ago.

Lol

I'm perplexed. The only explanation perhaps lies in practice habits, work ethic or maybe a difference of personalities with the new coaching regime. Perhaps that genius Sporano is just an old school coach who prefers vets. But I've heard nothing from beat reporters, it's like the kid doesn't exist anymore. He hasn't gotten a sniff and was even yanked off the return team after Week 4.

I will stand by my prediction that they will turn to Murray eventually this year, and he will outright own the job next year. Something's gotta give. The Raider ground game is pathetic. Just freaking abysmal.

The Raiders have thrown the ball 311 times and run it 151 times. They ran the ball 18 times for 37 yards at Seattle in Week 9. Starter Darren McFragile had 20 yards on 13 carries, and Maurice Jones-Drew, the Week 1 starter, had negative-2 yards on two carries. Jones-Drew has 54 yards on 26 carries this season, while McFragile has been a shell of his former self, even if healthy. Offensive line has yet to really jell, and the coaching staff, especially OC Olsen, is getting flagellated in the press for being less than imaginative on offense. A vanilla Raider offense, go figure... And it's not just Murray, they are under-utilizing Marcel Reese as well. Having a rook at QB is not helping either.

There's talk this team could go 0-16. At some point they're going to see what they have in Murray.

• Like 1

I'm perplexed. The only explanation perhaps lies in practice habits, work ethic or maybe a difference of personalities with the new coaching regime. Perhaps that genius Sporano is just an old school coach who prefers vets. But I've heard nothing from beat reporters, it's like the kid doesn't exist anymore. He hasn't gotten a sniff and was even yanked off the return team after Week 4.

I will stand by my prediction that they will turn to Murray eventually this year, and he will outright own the job next year. Something's gotta give. The Raider ground game is pathetic. Just freaking abysmal.

The Raiders have thrown the ball 311 times and run it 151 times. They ran the ball 18 times for 37 yards at Seattle in Week 9. Starter Darren McFragile had 20 yards on 13 carries, and Maurice Jones-Drew, the Week 1 starter, had negative-2 yards on two carries. Jones-Drew has 54 yards on 26 carries this season, while McFragile has been a shell of his former self, even if healthy. Offensive line has yet to really jell, and the coaching staff, especially OC Olsen, is getting flagellated in the press for being less than imaginative on offense. A vanilla Raider offense, go figure... And it's not just Murray, they are under-utilizing Marcel Reese as well. Having a rook at QB is not helping either.

There's talk this team could go 0-16. At some point they're going to see what they have in Murray.

thank you, that's what I was thinking

I own him in several dynasty leagues and a bad as the Raiders are being run right now, one has to think that he just doesn't have what it takes to get on the field.

I mean the simple fact that he can't beat out MJD or McFadden for ANY playing time is a pretty good indicator that he isn't going to pan out.

Unless murray is just a bad teammate, this is just another case of coach stupidity. Coaches are there for the x's and o's, thats typically their strong point. It doesnt mean they know how to identify talent or utilize it properly. This season was lost from day one, and the raiders turned to carr because they know it. It makes no sense to keep trotting aging vets who have no bearing on the future of this team. You know who might have a say in the future? The 6'3 230 lb monster who happens to be fast as hell also.

In this forum during the offseason I gave the GM grief for being a complete moron for building his team with old, expensive FAs at positions he doesn't need.

I don't know if the coaches are bad or not. The Raiders have a history of being unable to land coaching talent but i's not like Al Davis's zombie corpse or ghost is around peeking over the shoulder all the time anymore.

Unless murray is just a bad teammate, this is just another case of coach stupidity. Coaches are there for the x's and o's, thats typically their strong point. It doesnt mean they know how to identify talent or utilize it properly. This season was lost from day one, and the raiders turned to carr because they know it. It makes no sense to keep trotting aging vets who have no bearing on the future of this team. You know who might have a say in the future? The 6'3 230 lb monster who happens to be fast as hell also.

Coaches are there to put the best talent on the field based off of what they see in practice. He clearly is not very good or he would be playing.

I would like nothing more than to see him break out or even get a chance to. But the simple fact is that he has not been good enough to get on the field.

Sparano is an o-line guy with tons of experience. It's one thing to say D. Allen was an idiot, but Sparano is not.

Davy Jr is chasing Chuky with the full court press. Latavius will get some work in, but he's a 2015 project atm.

Coaches are there to put the best talent on the field based off of what they see in practice. He clearly is not very good or he would be playing.

I would like nothing more than to see him break out or even get a chance to. But the simple fact is that he has not been good enough to get on the field.

Sparano is an o-line guy with tons of experience. It's one thing to say D. Allen was an idiot, but Sparano is not.

I knew someone would say something like this. It honestly makes my brain feels like its going to melt. The never ending assumption that a coach is 100% accurate when it comes to getting his best players on the field.

Just in case you werent aware, players like weeden, jamarcus russell, gabbert were all high draft picks. The raiders purposely signed mjd and mcfadden. So if GMs and coaches are making the decision together to draft and play these bad/old/washed up players, what makes you think in the raiders great history of decision making over the past decade, that all of a sudden they know what true talent looks like?

Antone smith is obviously the most talented rb on a team struggling, yet he gets less touches than rbs who are mediocre at best. Your assumption is mind blowing. Stop assuming coaches know how to evaluate talent properly, because history says they make plenty of errors in this area of judgement.

Sheeple :doh:

I rather own a flyer like Chris Polk than Murray.

Me too. I bought the hype on Murray last season, then did some digging on his college career. Guys, against even middling competition, he SUCKED. Look up his stats from college against any team that had even one decent defender, much less against solid competition. Several articles on Google suggest he is scared of contact and although he ran a great 40 time, he doesn't run like a guy with speed. He's slow to accelerate, which boggles the mind as he was obviously quick in his drills and 40..... He's extremely tentative when given the ball.... There are a LOT of red flags with this guy. I wouldn't create a roster spot for him. If I had an open slot, I may stick him on the bench, but I wouldn't go out of my way to create one for him. If he runs a great 40 time, is scared of contact, and can't pass block..... Well, what you have is Trung Canidate. That didn't work out so well for the Rams and it won't for the Raiders either.

I knew someone would say something like this. It honestly makes my brain feels like its going to melt. The never ending assumption that a coach is 100% accurate when it comes to getting his best players on the field.

Just in case you werent aware, players like weeden, jamarcus russell, gabbert were all high draft picks. The raiders purposely signed mjd and mcfadden. So if GMs and coaches are making the decision together to draft and play these bad/old/washed up players, what makes you think in the raiders great history of decision making over the past decade, that all of a sudden they know what true talent looks like?

Antone smith is obviously the most talented rb on a team struggling, yet he gets less touches than rbs who are mediocre at best. Your assumption is mind blowing. Stop assuming coaches know how to evaluate talent properly, because history says they make plenty of errors in this area of judgement.

Dude, are you a retard?

They drafted Murray too? How can you in one breathe say they they don't know what true talent looks like and bash their draft picks and in the next say that Murray is a true talent?

Dude, are you a retard?

They drafted Murray too? How can you in one breathe say they they don't know what true talent looks like and bash their draft picks and in the next say that Murray is a true talent?

Are you retarded? Or just a simpleton? Where did i say anywhere that they literally cant draft a guy with talent? Nowhere did i say every single player they pick is useless. Overall their talent eval is bad, but not 100% fail.

Nor did i say you are 100% wrong you twit. It is possible he just isnt good enough, BUT the issue is how willing you are to automatically assume because he isnt playing, it must be directly related to his skill level simply because a coach doesnt play him.

Are you retarded? Or just a simpleton? Where did i say anywhere that they literally cant draft a guy with talent? Nowhere did i say every single player they pick is useless. Overall their talent eval is bad, but not 100% fail.

Nor did i say you are 100% wrong you twit. It is possible he just isnt good enough, BUT the issue is how willing you are to automatically assume because he isnt playing, it must be directly related to his skill level simply because a coach doesnt play him.

Wow... Nice back track maneuver, but unfortunately you just proved my point.

Your assumption is that he must be talented and is not being used because they are "stupid" and bad talent evaluators. You should probably look in the mirror!

The only thing melting your brain is the misconception that you think you are a better talent evaluator then people who have been in the NFL for decades. And all of this without ever seeing a single practice or any game time.

And you call me a simpleton and a twit?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Wow... Nice back track maneuver, but unfortunately you just proved my point.

Your assumption is that he must be talented and is not being used because they are "stupid" and bad talent evaluators. You should probably look in the mirror!

The only thing melting your brain is the misconception that you think you are a better talent evaluator then people who have been in the NFL for decades. And all of this without ever seeing a single practice or any game time.

And you call me a simpleton and a twit?

What? God your reading comprehension is at a 2nd grade level, maybe. I said he may not be be good enough... :dunno: I dont get how "It is possible he just isnt good enough" turns into he must be talented. My head is spinning with all of the stupidity you have added to this thread.

Sheeple who are dumber by the post :doh:

although he ran a great 40 time, he doesn't run like a guy with speed. He's slow to accelerate, which boggles the mind as he was obviously quick in his drills and 40.....

And that's where the problem is.

40 times mean jack chit.

Ellington didn't have a great 40 time but he's getting a ton of long runs.

What? God your reading comprehension is at a 2nd grade level, maybe. I said he may not be be good enough... :dunno: I dont get how "It is possible he just isnt good enough" turns into he must be talented. My head is spinning with all of the stupidity you have added to this thread.

Sheeple who are dumber by the post :doh:

Wrong. This actually what you said!

Unless murray is just a bad teammate, this is just another case of coach stupidity.

Now think about how big of on an idiot you are before you post again.

:wave:

Wrong. This actually what you said!

Now think about how big of on an idiot you are before you post again.

:wave:

Yes, if he is a bad teammate, which falls under not playing hard for his team. He is 6'3 230 runs a 4.3. He is as physically gifted an athlete as you will ever see. Not saying that guarantees success, but it is worth playing him to see what you have in him, UNLESS he is a bad unreliable teammate. Its getting comical how this has to be spelled out.

I know you still wont get it, but have fun racking your brain trying to salvage your pathetic attempt at debate.

Nothing worse than a sheeple dressed as a lemming :doh:

Yes, if he is a bad teammate, which falls under not playing hard for his team. He is 6'3 230 runs a 4.3. He is as physically gifted an athlete as you will ever see. Not saying that guarantees success, but it is worth playing him to see what you have in him, UNLESS he is a bad unreliable teammate. Its getting comical how this has to be spelled out.

I know you still wont get it, but have fun racking your brain trying to salvage your pathetic attempt at debate.

Nothing worse than a sheeple dressed as a lemming :doh:

Back... Back... Back.... PEDDLE!

They are breaking in a rookie QB.....they will only use vet rbs to insure protection. Start with finding/developing QB and everything else falls into place. This year is only about Carr. Period. Like it or hate it.....that is their plan.

Me too. I bought the hype on Murray last season, then did some digging on his college career. Guys, against even middling competition, he SUCKED. Look up his stats from college against any team that had even one decent defender, much less against solid competition. Several articles on Google suggest he is scared of contact and although he ran a great 40 time, he doesn't run like a guy with speed. He's slow to accelerate, which boggles the mind as he was obviously quick in his drills and 40..... He's extremely tentative when given the ball.... There are a LOT of red flags with this guy. I wouldn't create a roster spot for him. If I had an open slot, I may stick him on the bench, but I wouldn't go out of my way to create one for him. If he runs a great 40 time, is scared of contact, and can't pass block..... Well, what you have is Trung Canidate. That didn't work out so well for the Rams and it won't for the Raiders either.

Respectfully, did a google search on 'Latavius Murray scared of contact' and drew a donut. If you've got a link for such, I'd be very interested to peruse it. That's a little unusual for a team to put a player who is scared of contact on special teams coverage and return team blocking, but that is where he's been the last three weeks. Again, I'm just perplexed on his lack of touches. I've scoured blogs, beat writer reports, fan forums, and have found nothing other than conjecture on how Sporano just feels McFragile is the better back. Maybe I'll give my friend JT The Brick a call. Who the f*ck knows?

The film doesn't lie, and neither does Murray's physical gifts. I get he wasn't invited to the combine, and Pro Day workouts can be exaggerated, but 4.37 clocked 40 time is damn fast for a 6-3 230 pound running back in ANY context. And granted Conference- USA is a far cry from the SEC, but it did send 11 players to the NFL this year to join the 100 or so playing there already. And I didn't hear much gnashing of teeth about the level of competition Murray's former team mate Blake Bortles faced when he came out number three overall.

I'm not sure anyone in this thread is claiming Murray to be a viable fantasy option at this point. The question is why hasn't a train wreck like the 2014 Raiders at least given the kid a chance? I mean, my God not even some short yardage work? The Raiders have instead used Jamize Olawile or McFragile in short yardage and the results have been less than optimal. In the Cleveland game Olawale got stuffed on a third and one forcing a punt. In Week 4 he was blown up in a similar situation against Miami. Two weeks ago, McFragile took three carries to go three yards on a first and goal and also killed them in the Cleveland game with a drive killing fumble (Murray by the way didn't lose a fumble for turnover his entire college career in over 400+ carries.) Yet Sporano doesn't blink an eye in his praise of McFragile and Just-Drew. Amazing.

Again, my take remains that Murray finds the field before season end, and next year seizes the job outright.

• Like 1

I mean the simple fact that he can't beat out MJD or McFadden for ANY playing time is a pretty good indicator that he isn't going to pan out.

No way. Its the Raiders.

I would say maybe they're saving his body in a season that doesn't matter... but that's logical and therefore impossible in this case. They are the Raiders. You can't fix stupid.

Excellent point Kent. Lendale White took carries away from Chris Johnson.

With the Raiders, practicality is not an assured option. And I'm not a big fan of Sporano anyway. What's especially sobering as a Raiders fan is that even to get to 4-12 (the team's record the last two years under Reggie Mac), they'd have to go 4-4 the rest of this year.

Yikes.

2nd and 10 at OAK 14 (1:21) L.Murray left tackle to OAK 28 for 14 yards (S.Wright, E.Weddle).

1st and 10 at OAK 28 (:46) L.Murray left tackle to SD 49 for 23 yards (M.Ingram).

ITS A MIRACLE

Harbaugh, and bring in Lynch next year imo

Harbaugh...in Oakland?!

I'm not sure that he's even allowed within the town limits - much less anywhere near the Black Hole. :P

EDIT: On the other hand, Lynch is from Oakland, so that would totally make sense.

How is it that when he touched the ball 2 times both times he found a huge hole and had the ingest run get they didn't keep giving him the ball. Stupid coaches. I think if u want this guy grab h now to bad his schedule is very tuff.

Sporano must be the stupidest f*ck in the NFL, seriously. You're 0-10, floundering... Why not find out what the kid has? This team desperately needs a running game to keep the heat off Carr. They've got the number one pick in the draft, time to start planning for next year.

Sporano must be the stupidest f*ck in the NFL, seriously. You're 0-10, floundering... Why not find out what the kid has? This team desperately needs a running game to keep the heat off Carr. They've got the number one pick in the draft, time to start planning for next year.

Probably an issue with pass blocking (guess) - the coach would look really stupid if the mediocre RB he wants to try out ends out missing a block that injures Carr for the season. If I'm the coach I roll with the rookie, but there is much more to football than just running the ball.

Probably an issue with pass blocking (guess) - the coach would look really stupid if the mediocre RB he wants to try out ends out missing a block that injures Carr for the season. If I'm the coach I roll with the rookie, but there is much more to football than just running the ball.

No, not at all. He's been in games on passing downs, in fact held that role late in the game Sunday. He caught 50 passes for 500 yards and 6 TD's in his career at Central Florida while playing with Blake Bortles, and there's video of his pass blocking skills. That's not Marcus Allen numbers, granted, but he's no novice in the passing game.

He's actually in his second NFL year, though he sat out 2013 with a leg injury. So he's been through two training camps and off season programs.

No, I just think Sporano is a dumb ass. Harbaugh and all his idiocy looking real good right now.

• Like 1

Didn't even touch the ball until the 3rd quarter, unless you count kickoff returns!

No, but McFadden only had one touch after Murray ripped off a couple nice runs....probably to give Murray a breather. Don't know much about the kid and how he's been mis/used, but he was in there at the end of the game which the Raiders actually were competitive. Seems like the light went off for Oakland. :dunno: