Sign in to follow this  
Brown Eyed Girl

Thanksgiving plans

What's everyone's plans this year for the holiday?

Traveling? Hosting at your home?

I will be spending Thanksgiving day busy in my kitchen getting everything prepared

for the following day when my family will be coming over to my place to celebrate. (can't

get everyone together on Thurs, so we're having it Friday instead).

Looking forward to it.

Hey BierMeister, if you're still lurking.... have any good recipes to share?

Maybe some good wine recommendations?

:ninja:

hehehe.....

going home to sf. i'll be cooking all day on thurs (tv in kitchen).

going to do:

basic turkey

sausage stuffing with dried cherries and apples

cream of mushroom or roasted butternut/green apple soup

bourbon/orange cranberries

kaluha pie

i'll slowly start posting the recipes for you

edit: turkey is fairly versitile... a lot of wines go well with it: chard, viognier, dry roses, pinot noir

basic turkey:

1 14-16 lb turkey (thawed)

2-3 tbs olive oil

1 C + 2 tbs butter (2 1/4 sticks- 1/4 inch dice)

2 tbs minced thyme

2 tbs minced rosemary

2 tbs minced sage

2 tbs parsley

10 C chricken broth

3 C diced onion (1/2 inch)

2 C diced carrot (1/2 inch)

2 C diced celery (1/2 inch)

2 lemons (halved)

S&P

preheat oven to 425. remove neck, gizzards, etc. rinse tureky inside and out. pat dry. create a pocket between meat and skin. rub whole bird with olive oil, salt, and pepper. mix thyme, parsely, sage, rosemary in a small bowl. evenly distribute in the pocket and outside of the bird.... if you need more make more evenly distribute about 2 C of butter inside those pockets. stuff the bird with 1 C onion, 1 C carrot, 1 C celery, and 2 lemons. tuck legs under and tie legs (trousing).

roast for about 20-30 min, reduce temp to 350. cook 30 min.. pour 1 cup of broth over turkey. add abut 1 tbs of butter to roasting pan. cook 30 min. baste with pan drippings. pour another C of broth over the bird. and add another tbs butter to pan. cover loosely with foil and roast until therm reads 175 at thickest part of thigh....basting with a cup of broth and tbs of butter every 30-45 min. this should take about 1 hour and 45 min + or -.

for gravy (base)-

melt 2 tbs of butter. in deep skillet over high heat. add 2 c onions, 1 c celery, 1 c carrots.... saute until brown. add 6 cups of broth and bring to boil.. reduce heat to med-low and simmer for about 45 min uncovered. strain.

strain pan juices from the turkey... whisk in gravy base. melt 2 tbs of butter in large sauce pan over med heat. add flour and whisk constantly until our roux is golden brown (about 6 min). gradually add the gravy base/pan juice mixture into the roux. increase heat and whisk until gravy thickens, boils, and is smooth. reduce heat to med. reduce gently until it reduce to about 4 1/2 cups..whisking often (about 10 min). season gravy with s&p.

stuffing:

1 lb- unseasoned pork sausage (crumbled) you also want to remove the casings

1/2 C- finely chopped onion

1/2 C- finely chopped celery

1/2 C- butter

1 C- finely chopped unpeeled mcintosh apples

1 C- dried cherries

1/3 C- cherry brandy

1 loaf- french baguette cubed

1/4 tsp- cinnamon

1/4 tsp- mace

1 tsp- salt

1/4 tsp- ground black pepper

1/2- 1 C- chicken broth

pinch nutmeg

pinch dreid sage

pinch dried thyme

brown sausage. saute onions and celery until soft. combine all ingredients. you might want to use an egg to bind.......

spray dish you are going to use to cook. spread stuffing evenly in dish. bake at 425 for 30 min (or unitl golden brown). cover with foil (to prevent burning). lower temp to 350. cook another 1 1/2 hrs until internal temp reaches 150.

soup:

1 butternut squash

2 green apples

5 C veg stock

2 C cream

1-2 oz maple syrup

1-2 tbs cinnamon

1 tsp nutmeg

s&p to taste

preheat oven to 425* cut squash in half (lengthwise). put on cookie sheet seed side up. lightly coat with oil. roast for about 45 min to 1 hr until pulp is soft. bring stock to boil. turn heat down and let it simmer. scald cream. set cream aside. peel and core apples. cut into wedges. roast for about 20-30 min (until lightly brown).

when squash is ready, let cool enough so you can handle it.... scoop seeds out and either discard or set aside to roast another time. scoop pulp out (you don't want that outer layer). put pulp and green apple in stock.... simmer for about 20-30 min. puree. once smooth, add cream (while blending)..... then add maple cin, nutmeg, s&p.

Black Russian Pie:

crust:

1 C chocolate wafer crumbs (or chocolate graham crackers)

2 tbs unsalted butter, melted

2 tbs kahlua

combine well. press onto bottom and sides of 9-inch pie plate. chill for 10-15 min.

filling:

1/2 C milk

2 envelops unflavored gelatin

1/2 C kahlua

2 eggs

1/2 C sugar

1/3 C vodka

1 1/2 C heay cream, whipped

shaved chocolate

heat milk to boiling. add gelatin and kahlua.... stir until dissolved. in a blender, mix eggs, sugar, vodka. with machine running pour in milk mixture and blend well. transfer to a bowl. chill for 15-30 min. fold gelatin mixture into whipped cream. pour into crust. chill until set (about 3 hours). sprinkle shaved chocolate on top right before serving.

Same as every year....i invite all my family and friends over...whichever ones show up join me in eating, drinking, and football watching.

My favorite day of the year, by a mile. I travel home to Iowa to see my Mom, Dad, and brothers. We drink, then we drink, then we drink, we play some cards while we drink, Eat, then watch the football games while we drink, and play cards. i hope the packers survive the ford Dome! Have a good one everyone. Family is where it's at

hehehe.....

going home to sf. i'll be cooking all day on thurs (tv in kitchen).

going to do:

basic turkey

sausage stuffing with dried cherries and apricots

cream of mushroom or roasted butternut/green apple soup

bourbon/orange cranberries

kaluha pie

edit: turkey is fairly versitile... a lot of wines go well with it: chard, viognier, dry roses, pinot noir

basic turkey:. rub whole bird with olive oil...

How'd I guess your menu would be sure to list some 'gourmet' dishes?!

Yes, please post the recipes if you can. I want to throw something a little different into

my menu this year and change it up just a touch, while still keeping it traditional.

That sausage stuffing sounds yummy.... and thanks for the wine info/suggestions.

Also, I never thought to rub olive oil on the turkey. I have always rubbed butter all over it...

Olive oil it will be this year.

Thanks!

butter is also good. even with this recipe i disribute butter under the skin with the herbs...

thanksgiving at home with the family. i cook the Turkey.

The last three years I have brined the Turkey. they have been fantastic. they always came out too dry before that. the brined ones have more flavor and have come out nice and moist. The recipe i have followed the past three years is:

Serves 6-8, with leftovers

Brine time: 12-24 hours

Active time: 40 minutes

Cook time: 2-2 3/4 hours

INGREDIENTS:

1 turkey, about 12 pounds

Brine:

1 cup sugar

1 1/2 to 1 3/4 cups kosher salt

2 1/2 gallons cold water

2 bay leaves, torn into pieces

1 bunch fresh thyme

1 head of garlic, cloves separated and peeled

5 whole allspice berries, crushed

4 juniper berries, smashed (see Note)

Roasting:

2 tablespoons softened butter + butter for basting

1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper

1/2 cup chicken stock plus more as needed

INSTRUCTIONS:

Instructions: Remove giblet bag from turkey, along with any extra internal fat and pin feathers. Rinse well under cold tap water. Combine sugar, salt and 3-4 quarts of water in a large bowl. Stir until sugar and salt dissolve. Add remaining brine ingredients except for the remaining 1 1/2-1 3/4 gallons water. Double-bag two heavy-duty, unscented trash bags (not made of recycled materials), then put them in an ice chest that is large enough to hold the turkey. Place turkey in bags, pour in brine and remaining 1 1/2-1 3/4 gallons water -- there should be enough liquid to completely cover the bird. Press out air in bags; tightly close each bag separately. Keep turkey cold by piling bags of ice over and around the closed bags which will also help keep the turkey submerged. Brine for 12-24 hours.

Roasting: Preheat oven to 400°. Remove turkey from brine, rinse and dry well. Spread 2 tablespoons softened butter over skin. Sprinkle pepper over skin and in cavity. Tuck wing tips under, loosely truss legs and place turkey on a V-shaped rack in a roasting pan. Tent breast with foil.

Put turkey in oven. To assure that the bird cooks evenly, rotate roasting pan 180° every 30 minutes while turkey is roasting. Roast for about 1 hour, remove foil and baste turkey with 1/2 cup stock. Return to oven and roast, basting with pan drippings every 20 minutes, using more stock as needed. Start checking internal temperature after about 1 hour of roasting time. If legs begin to get too brown, cover loosely with foil. Roast turkey until internal thigh temperature reaches 165°. Total roasting time should be about 2-2 3/4 hours. Let bird rest for at least 20-30 minutes before carving.

Note: Juniper berries are available in the spice section of some supermarkets and specialty grocers.

brining is a good way to keep it moist..... i am restricted by time

How'd I guess your menu would be sure to list some 'gourmet' dishes?!

Yes, please post the recipes if you can. I want to throw something a little different into

my menu this year and change it up just a touch, while still keeping it traditional.

That sausage stuffing sounds yummy.... and thanks for the wine info/suggestions.

Also, I never thought to rub olive oil on the turkey. I have always rubbed butter all over it...

Olive oil it will be this year.

Thanks!

Here is a few more ideas for ya from what we usually do:

Pumpkin Mushroom Stuffing:

* 6 cups cubed pumpkin bread

* 1 cup chopped celery

* 1 cup butter or margarine

* 2 cups chopped red onion

* 2 cups sliced crimini mushrooms

* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary

* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon

* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives

* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley

* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt

* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper

* 6 tablespoons chicken broth

1. Spread bread cubes on a baking sheet, and let dry overnight. Alternatively, heat in a 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) oven until dry, about 1 hour.

2. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Butter a 2 quart baking dish.

3. Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute celery and onions for about 10 minutes. Add mushrooms, and continue cooking for about 8 minutes, or until tender. Season with rosemary, tarragon, chives, parsley, salt, and pepper. Fold in bread cubes, and add enough broth to moisten. Transfer to prepared dish, and cover with foil.

4. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove cover, and bake for 10 minutes, or until top is crisp.

Roasted veggies with Apple Juice

* 3 tablespoons butter

* 3 cups apple juice

* 1 cup dry white wine

* 1 1/4 pounds turnips

* 1 1/4 pounds parsnips

* 1 1/4 pounds carrots

* 1 1/4 pounds sweet potatoes

* 1 1/4 pounds rutabagas

* salt and pepper to taste

1. Boil apple juice and wine in a large saucepan until reduced to 3/4 cup, about 30 minutes. Whisk in butter or margarine.

2. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

3. Peel and cut vegetables into l/2 inch pieces. Divide between 2 roasting pans. Pour apple juice mixture over vegetables. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Toss to coat.

4. Roast until vegetables are tender and golden, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.

We also do some Garlic Mashed and a Sweet Potato casserole with Apples

Traditional dessert

Good luck and have fun!

brining is a good way to keep it moist..... i am restricted by time

The only bad thing about brining is that the stuffing usually comes out too salty. Sounds like you are putting a lot of effort in the stuffing so maybe brining would'nt be a good idea for you anyways.

The only bad thing about brining is that the stuffing usually comes out too salty. Sounds like you are putting a lot of effort in the stuffing so maybe brining would'nt be a good idea for you anyways.

i make my stuffing separate from the bird.... like a crisper top, and not soggy.

Here is a few more ideas for ya from what we usually do:

Roasted veggies with Apple Juice

Thanks Chiefs!

Your roasted veggies recipe sounds really tasty... I may give it a try.

Does the apple juice make it too sweet tasting?

Your stuffing recipe sounds good too (as does Bier's) - I have never tried making my own home-made stuffing but I have tasted other people's versions and nothing has quite been all that great.

I usually just do Stove Top and end up adding stuff to it to jazz it up a little.

Maybe I'll venture out of my comfort zone this year.... but I really love Stove Top!

Nothing special planned this year. Long ago we hosted what we called "orphan thanksgiving," which was for people transplanted to Phoenix with no family here. At its height we had mebbe 40 people at our house. But, people move away, develop their own traditions, etc... :banana:

Thanksgiving morning - local 10K Turkey Trot run

Around 11 heading up to in laws for lunch, around 4 heading to my moms for dinner.

I plan to celebrate the myth that the Pilgrims actually did eat lots of turkey by eating some of the things

that they really did eat a lot of like lobster, deer and beer. :unsure:

but don't let that stop you from eating that dry stringy meat every day for the next week after.

:lol: :dunno:

Black Russian Pie:

:music_guitarred: This sounds fantastic!

Thanks Chiefs!

Your roasted veggies recipe sounds really tasty... I may give it a try.

Does the apple juice make it too sweet tasting?

Your stuffing recipe sounds good too (as does Bier's) - I have never tried making my own home-made stuffing but I have tasted other people's versions and nothing has quite been all that great.

I usually just do Stove Top and end up adding stuff to it to jazz it up a little.

Maybe I'll venture out of my comfort zone this year.... but I really love Stove Top!

Naaa...actually makes it very good. Stove top is fantastic. The first year I made stuffing it was a disaster, had to go out and get Stove Top...jazzed it up a little like you said and everyone was loving it.. :overhead:

Since then I have learned to take my time and not drink as much when I am cooking.

I plan to celebrate the myth that the Pilgrims actually did eat lots of turkey by eating some of the things

that they really did eat a lot of like lobster, deer and beer. :thumbsdown:

They ate beer? Did they freeze it up and eat it like popsicles?

Thanks Giving will be at my sisters.

My wife was talking to my sister who asked if we could bring a roast. She was preparing the turkey. My wife tells me that we have to bring a Prime Rib. A whole focking prime rib :dunno: I'm thinking holyshit that cost some serious cash. Oh well I decide its not to bad so I'll take care of it. Later I talk to my sister and she tells me she thought we were bringing just a normal pot roast or something :banana: Leave it to my wife to cost me extra money. Typical wemen. :thumbsdown:

Since then I have learned to take my time and not drink as much when I am cooking.

:dunno:

just tell everyone else to drink more before eating

More than likely going to Southern Maine to eat at Dada's

Thanks Giving will be at my sisters.

My wife was talking to my sister who asked if we could bring a roast. She was preparing the turkey. My wife tells me that we have to bring a Prime Rib. A whole focking prime rib :mad: I'm thinking holyshit that cost some serious cash. Oh well I decide its not to bad so I'll take care of it. Later I talk to my sister and she tells me she thought we were bringing just a normal pot roast or something :lol: Leave it to my wife to cost me extra money. Typical wemen. :dunno:

Sometimes we go for the prime rib for Christmas. They are expensive and it would seem like a waste to have a prime rib and a turkey at one meal.

My dad will be down on 11/18 for the JAX/SD game so I will spend Thanksgiving here rather than travel.

For that Thursday I will be cooking for @ 10.

Turkey

mashed tators

stuffing

honey baked ham

green beans

I will leave desert up to the guests!

I will brine the Turkey in

1 gal apple juice

2 cups table salt

2 cups white sugar

3/4 cup pickling spice

6 T worchestershire sauce

1 cup honey

and smoke it using pecan.

The honey ham will be smoked as well, but only for a short time using maple wood.

I will also smoke a stuffed pork loin, it will be stuffed with

1 part Minced onion

1 part Minced garlic

Shredded asiago or parmesan cheese

Minced fresh basil

and will be wrapped in maple bacon and smoked with a combination of apple and cherry wood.

tators will be made with a garlic/parmesan cream sauce and mashed to a smooth consistency.

Green beans will be cooked with ham and hot sauce and the dressing will be spicey as well using hot sausage.

Sunday we will go to the Jags/Buff game, for that day will cook the following

1. 8 LB pound brisket marinated in a Dr Pepper marinate

2. Jamaican Spare ribs using a citrus dry rub

1 Cube Pork Rib Flavored Bullion Crushed

½ Tbspn. Allspice

2 Tbspn. Citrus Grill Mix

2 Tbspn. Jamaican Jerk Seasoning

2 Tbspn Lime Pepper

4 Tbspn. Turbinado Sugar

and a bourbon glaze

1/3 cup honey

1/4 BBQ sauce

1/4 apple juice

1/8 cup cider vinegar

1/8 cup bourbon

3. A stuffed fattie, a log of breakfast sausage stuffed with cream cheese, cheddar cheese, left over turkey and jalapeno peppers.

4. Automic Buffalo Turds (appropriate for our opponent that game)

Jalapeno peppers stuffed with cream cheese, colby jack cheese, a lil smoky mini sausage wrapped in bacon and smoked with pecan. They smoke for 2 hours and the they are removed, dredged in a beer batter and fried for 3 or 4 minutes.

5. My baked beans, slow cooked on the smoker,place under all the cooking meat in cast iron skillets to catch the droppings, with a mixture of sauces, cream cheese, jalapeno slices and burnt ends from the ribs.

They ate beer? Did they freeze it up and eat it like popsicles?

that would be licking beer I think.

anyone kill their own turkey?

With a fork?

i make my stuffing separate from the bird.... like a crisper top, and not soggy.

If you don't stuff it - it's not "stuffing". It's "dressing".

YW.

I was watching the Food Network lastnight and Giada stuffed her turkey with

sliced oranges, lemons, onion and fresh herbs.

Apparently it gives it an amazing flavor.

Anyone ever try something like this?

I'd like to stuff Giada with Irish Sausage! :overhead:

Wow, some great recipes here. Good idea BEG to post this thread in advance.

Last year I contributed my garlic mashed potatoes they always want me to bring and I also got a smoked Turkey from one of my clients. Not sure if I'm going to do the smoked Turkey again this year as I am getting back from Hawaii the day before Thanksgiving.

I dont' even know where I am going yet. LOL. Probably to one of my ex husband's relatives house like I do every year. Not sure who is hosting it this year though. Maybe I will try to do one at home and have some people over. :mad:

Either way, I love Thanksgiving and have a lot to be thankful for today!!! And definitely will after just having spent a week in Hawaii! :overhead:

yes..... it's in the recipe i posted

yes..... it's in the recipe i posted

Oh, I see that now... 2 lemons (halved). :wall:

The way she did it, she quartered about 3 or 4 oranges and 2 or 3 lemons,

did the same with a whole onion (large pieces) and then put the herbs in whole.

These were the only things she put inside of the turkey, rather than in addition to

other ingredients... simply for flavor.

It looked really great.