Sign in to follow this  
Another school shooting...

So no one should have tried to stop her. It's her decision?

Ultimately, yes. Now, had her family found her before she did the act I certainly wouldn't blame them for intervening. What if I had found her? I knew her, but not very well. Yeah, I'd be applauded for stopping her but ultimately I'm committing assault. You tell me. Why should ANYONE have the right to do that?

Yeah, god forbid people actually be able to do with their lives what they want, including end it. Thank god they have people like you fighting for their "right" to be miserable when they'd rather just end the pain.

Im not talking about patients with cancer or other terminal illness. Most suicidal people are acting impulsively, with temporary problems. This is a major reason the majority of people with failed suicide attempts dont subsequently take their lives. But guns make that decision final.

Ultimately, yes. Now, had her family found her before she did the act I certainly wouldn't blame them for intervening. What if I had found her? I knew her, but not very well. Yeah, I'd be applauded for stopping her but ultimately I'm committing assault. You tell me. Why should ANYONE have the right to do that?

Talking her out of suicide is assault? :wacko:

Talking her out of suicide is assault? :wacko:

Ok, I'm going to start out this post with a conclusion that you're not going to like. You're a focking idiot. I shouldn't even have to answer this question. But I will. No, trying to talk her out of suicide is not assault. And, had any reasonable , caring person found her before she did it they would absolutely have tried to talk her out of it. Great. But, if not successful and she takes the knife and starts to head to cut something, that person is most likely going to intervene and stop her. At that point they're guilty of assault IMO. And should be prosecuted as such. It may save her life because, as you and I both acknowledge, she may feel differently at a different time, but it's still assault. And a violation of her rights. Sometimes, doing the right thing isn't the legal thing. It may be the moral thing, depending on your beliefs.

Ok, I'm going to start out this post with a conclusion that you're not going to like. You're a focking idiot. I shouldn't even have to answer this question. But I will. No, trying to talk her out of suicide is not assault. And, had any reasonable , caring person found her before she did it they would absolutely have tried to talk her out of it. Great. But, if not successful and she takes the knife and starts to head to cut something, that person is most likely going to intervene and stop her. At that point they're guilty of assault IMO. And should be prosecuted as such. It may save her life because, as you and I both acknowledge, she may feel differently at a different time, but it's still assault. And a violation of her rights. Sometimes, doing the right thing isn't the legal thing. It may be the moral thing, depending on your beliefs.

If I come upon you and you're attempting to take your life I won't assault you. Promise.

Jesus focking Christ. Just when you think a thread cant get baths!t crazier, there it goes.

And strike, in most states, suicide is a crime. Why? So that people who intervene to stop them are thus, not breaking the law. Cops and jailers do it all the focking time.

Ignoring your inflammatory nonsense, your opinion of what constitutes assault is inaccurate. Moreover, you’d never be prosecuted. And suicide isn’t a right.

Glad you recognize the law isn’t always morally correct though.

Jesus focking Christ. Just when you think a thread cant get baths!t crazier, there it goes.

And strike, in most states, suicide is a crime. Why? So that people who intervene to stop them are thus, not breaking the law. Cops and jailers do it all the focking time.

There are lots of crimes that shouldn't be. Suicide being a crime is idiotic. Why the fock should the state care what I do with my life, including ending it? it's my focking life. What if they decided it was a crime to abandon the U.S. and move to chiner? Would that suddenly make it a bad thing to leave the U.S.?

Why would a teen committing suicide do it for any different reasons than an adult?

I hope that's just written poorly.

Otherwise , DF?

Yeah, god forbid people actually be able to do with their lives what they want, including end it. Thank god they have people like you fighting for their "right" to be miserable when they'd rather just end the pain.

What an incredibly dumb thing to say.

There are lots of crimes that shouldn't be. Suicide being a crime is idiotic. Why the fock should the state care what I do with my life, including ending it? it's my focking life. What if they decided it was a crime to abandon the U.S. and move to chiner? Would that suddenly make it a bad thing to leave the U.S.?

I was responding to your claim that someone who intervened in a suicide would possibly face assault charges.

Personally, yeah, I think stopping a suicide is the right thing to do.

And sure, I break the law on the regular when the risk reward equation balances. Law and morality have little in common.

Ok, I'm going to start out this post with a conclusion that you're not going to like. You're a focking idiot.

“And the name calling is a nice touch. It really shows your ability to have an intelligent discussion. :thumbsup:

—Strike...Page 4.

“And the name calling is a nice touch. It really shows your ability to have an intelligent discussion. :thumbsup:

—Strike...Page 4.

I have no desire to have an intelligent discussion with Pen on gun control. It's impossible given his idiotic stance that suicides should be thought of in the same vein as a mass school shooting. So yeah, I went there. With you I was actually trying to have an intelligent discourse. You pretty much blew that up though.

I have no desire to have an intelligent discussion with Pen on gun control. It's impossible given his idiotic stance that suicides should be thought of in the same vein as a mass school shooting. So yeah, I went there. With you I was actually trying to have an intelligent discourse. You pretty much blew that up though.

If by intelligent discourse you mean you pretty much got smoked...yeah...it was intelligent.

All good..was just teasing you about calling him a focking idiot

I have no desire to have an intelligent discussion with Pen on gun control.

The big problem is that you have no ability to have an intelligent discussion on this.

The big problem is that you have no ability to have an intelligent discussion on this.

Of course I do.

If by intelligent discourse you mean you pretty much got smoked...yeah...it was intelligent.

All good..was just teasing you about calling him a focking idiot

You mean by providing facts that definitively proved you wrong? If that's getting smoked, I'll get smoked every day.

You mean by providing facts that definitively proved you wrong? If that's getting smoked, I'll get smoked every day.

Yeah you really got me with the "volunteer" security guard that you didn't know was a former police officer.

And the fact you can't count to 4.

Woof.

commonsense.org

His business is guns, his life is guns. He would want guns in a babies crib or in the hands of toddlers if It meant some more sales. Theres no common sense about guns with that kind of bias at play. Its very simple common sense why adding guns to any equation drastically raises chances of being shot.

His business is guns, his life is guns. He would want guns in a babies crib or in the hands of toddlers if It meant some more sales. Theres no common sense about guns with that kind of bias at play. Its very simple common sense why adding guns to any equation drastically raises chances of being shot.

Dramatic much?

Yeah you really got me with the "volunteer" security guard that you didn't know was a former police officer.

And the fact you can't count to 4.

Woof.

Lol I offered a shitload of examples and you are singularly focused on one. God you look stupid.

Lol I offered a shitload of examples and you are singularly focused on one. God you look stupid.

You regurgitated a site that listed some that I took out the first two quick.... would you like me to go through the rest for you?

Or do you want to go back to how 26 dead is stopping a mass shooting?

Pick whichever you like.

An intelligent discussion sometimes entails addressing opinions on issues which dramatically differ from you own. It also entails keeping an open mind. Name-calling and summarily dismissing suicide as a component of gun deaths does neither. Moreover, it diminishes your credibility amongst other poasters.

If you want an echo chamber, have at it. But I've brought more data to this debate than just about anyone, including a lot which has nothing to with suicide.

Fundamentally, I agree that people should have the right to take their lives under certain circumstances. I also acknowledge many of them are being reactionary to a temporary problem, under the influence of mind-altering substances or suffering from treatable mental illness. It isn't black and white in my eyes, nor the eyes of the law. You don't have to agree with the law, but it doesn't change the fact that stopping a suicidal individual is not assault.

• Like 1

An intelligent discussion sometimes entails addressing opinions on issues which dramatically differ from you own. It also entails keeping an open mind. Name-calling and summarily dismissing suicide as a component of gun deaths does neither. Moreover, it diminishes your credibility amongst other poasters.

If you want an echo chamber, have at it. But I've brought more data to this debate than just about anyone, including a lot which has nothing to with suicide.

Fundamentally, I agree that people should have the right to take their lives under certain circumstances. I also acknowledge many of them are being reactionary to a temporary problem, under the influence of mind-altering substances or suffering from treatable mental illness. It isn't black and white in my eyes, nor the eyes of the law. You don't have to agree with the law, but it doesn't change the fact that stopping a suicidal individual is not assault.

I said I don't want to have an intelligent discussion with you. I acknowledge your point of view but completely disagree with it and think it's idiotic. You and I will never see eye to eye on it. I don't discount it as a valid viewpoint even though I completely disagree with it. But there's no point in you and I discussing it. In every gun control discussion, minus one that I remember, you bring up suicide. You can't separate suicide from other gun incidents as pretty much EVERYONE else on this bored can. If anything, you hurt YOUR credibility with the inability to make that distinction. Therefore, there is no reason for you and I to discuss gun control. I hope this clarifies my POV with respect to this discussion with you.

I said I don't want to have an intelligent discussion with you. I acknowledge your point of view but completely disagree with it and think it's idiotic. You and I will never see eye to eye on it. I don't discount it as a valid viewpoint even though I completely disagree with it. But there's no point in you and I discussing it. In every gun control discussion, minus one that I remember, you bring up suicide. You can't separate suicide from other gun incidents as pretty much EVERYONE else on this bored can. If anything, you hurt YOUR credibility with the inability to make that distinction. Therefore, there is no reason for you and I to discuss gun control. I hope this clarifies my POV with respect to this discussion with you.

That's a bit more civil, but you are incorrect that people on the bored uniformly dismiss gun suicide. A couple of posters have even acknowledged I've changed their mind on the subject. Several posters also chimed in regarding your tirade about assault and the "right" to commit suicide. Meanwhile, you're the only one getting your panties in a wad at even the mention of the S word.

That's a bit more civil, but you are incorrect that people on the bored uniformly dismiss gun suicide. A couple of posters have even acknowledged I've changed their mind on the subject. Several posters also chimed in regarding your tirade about assault and the "right" to commit suicide. Meanwhile, you're the only one getting your panties in a wad at even the mention of the S word.

My panties aren't in a wad. It's not like you're going to stop someone who really wants to kill themself from doing so anyways. It does boggle my mind that people are so willing to let the state decide what they can and can't do though.

My panties aren't in a wad. It's not like you're going to stop someone who really wants to kill themself from doing so anyways. It does boggle my mind that people are so willing to let the state decide what they can and can't do though.

Get back to me when you've treated people after failed suicide attempts.

:lol:

I'm sure every one of them thanked you. :rolleyes:

Incorrect. As has been posted before...other methods of suicide have a much lower percentage of success. And often leads to a person deciding not to go through with it or try it again.

Incorrect. As has been posted before...other methods of suicide have a much lower percentage of success. And often leads to a person deciding not to go through with it or try it again.

Yep. But these are the same guys arguing mass murderers will be as effective with knives if assault weapons are banned.

Not sure what that has to do with the price of tea in Chiner. Do you think it should be illegal to rock climb as well? Because I'm pretty sure it's ugly to treat someone who fell 50 feet off a rock too. You know, if you don't want to do your job there are other fields you could go in to.

Not sure what that has to do with the price of tea in Chiner. Do you think it should be illegal to rock climb as well? Because I'm pretty sure it's ugly to treat someone who fell 50 feet off a rock too. You know, if you don't want to do your job there are other fields you could go in to.

That wasn't my point either - and there are some places where climbing is illegal. But he!!, if I wanna climb I'll find a way, and that's my unalienable right, correct?

I think facebook is the biggest problem leading to school shootings

Social media and publicity have likely added fuel to the fire, but I don't think they are the biggest problem. Otherwise, mass shootings would be more common worldwide.

I don't really like posting threads, so I'm going to leave this here.

Do you think the parents should be tried for Involuntary Manslaughter? I absolutely do, and was very surprised to learn only about half of states have Child Access Prevention laws. Even fewer impose liability on the parent, unless there is gross negligence involved (mississippi being one of them). I store my firearms unloaded in a safe at all times, with ammunition stored separately.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/19/us/boy-shot-sister-over-video-game-trnd/index.html

A 9-year-old boy retrieved a gun from his parents' bedroom and shot his 13-year-old sister to death, authorities said, after the two got into an argument over a video game controller. The incident occurred over the weekend in rural Monroe County, Mississippi, as the children's mother was preparing lunch in the kitchen, the country sheriff said.
"He wanted the controller, and I guess he knew where to find the gun," Sheriff Cecil Cantrell told CNN. The boy grabbed a handgun, which was kept in a nightstand next to the bed, and shot the sister in the back of the head, the sheriff said. "This is the first time I've ever dealt with any child that was shot like that," Cantrell said. "And I hope I never deal with it again." The girl was taken to Le Bonheur Children's Hospital in Memphis, where she was pronounced dead Sunday. The case is still under investigation and authorities have not filed charges."We are talking to the district attorney," Cantrell said.

I don't really like posting threads, so I'm going to leave this here.

Do you think the parents should be tried for Involuntary Manslaughter? I absolutely do, and was very surprised to learn only about half of states have Child Access Prevention laws. Even fewer impose liability on the parent, unless there is gross negligence involved (mississippi being one of them). I store my firearms unloaded in a safe at all times, with ammunition stored separately.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/19/us/boy-shot-sister-over-video-game-trnd/index.html

No not manslaughter, the kid pulled the trigger. Its just an accident you run the risk of when guns and kids are in the same house and always will be. Kid pays attention to where dad put the gun away after showing his slapdik buddies how kewl it is. Theres no safe hiding place, if he wants it, he will get it unless its locked away. He just as easily could have gotten a knife from the kitchen and stabbed her to death. Hes just a messed up kid.

No not manslaughter, the kid pulled the trigger. Its just an accident you run the risk of when guns and kids are in the same house and always will be. Kid pays attention to where dad put the gun away after showing his slapdik buddies how kewl it is. Theres no safe hiding place, if he wants it, he will get it unless its locked away. He just as easily could have gotten a knife from the kitchen and stabbed her to death. Hes just a messed up kid.

When you have kids, that is what you do. You have a safe with a biometric lock or some other mechanism to prevent some kid from happening upon a loaded weapon.

When you have kids, that is what you do. You have a safe with a biometric lock or some other mechanism to prevent some kid from happening upon a loaded weapon.

Yes responsible people. Go to the south or redneck gun crazy states and you will probably find most houses with loaded shotguns leaning next to the door, guns laying around like they are toys and hordes of kids running around like it’s a daycare. Thankfully the problem is slowly taking care of itself.