Sign in to follow this  
Challenger

Steve Smith unloads on Panthers' Gettleman, Rivera

Smith is a mental case. No wonder Carolina dropped him.

Carolina employed him for 10 years.

Smith "FU Carolina, go mow my lawn"

Whatever. he's a douche.

Smith is a mental case. No wonder Carolina dropped him.

Carolina employed him for 10 years.

Smith "FU Carolina, go mow my lawn"

Whatever. he's a douche.

You are late, that was part 1, you haven't check out part 2 of his interview on the radio.

Always had a chip on his shoulder...

Never had much class...

Love him as a player but as a human being he's classic 'angry black guy' always angry at the world, someone doing him wrong at every turn. Sad wY to go through life. I hope JR doesn't grow up with same characteristics....

Always had a chip on his shoulder...

Never had much class...

Love him as a player but as a human being he's classic 'angry black guy' always angry at the world, someone doing him wrong at every turn. Sad wY to go through life. I hope JR doesn't grow up with same characteristics....

That's classic Steve Smith tho, and also one reason why he has been so good on the field for so long. 5'9' and 35 years old playing in the NFL... , he needs that Hulk anger.

That's classic Steve Smith tho, and also one reason why he has been so good on the field for so long. 5'9' and 35 years old playing in the NFL... ######, he needs that Hulk anger.

I hear you. He's got the Napoleon complex going for him too. It's how he motivates himself, fully understand. But there are people that play the 'me vs the world' game with class. Jordan a classic example. Senior does it pretty nasty. He says they let him go wrongly, but in the way he says it just proves why they did. If you think his version of events is reality then you're crazy. I get it he's using this to motivate himself but he's likely twisting the story greatly to play the victim here. Regardless, they clearly misjudged what he has left in his tank. Luckily for them they found the next AJ green so it's all good...still would have been nice to have both on the field together but business is business...

You are late, that was part 1, you haven't check out part 2 of his interview on the radio.

What's the coles notes version?

If I were his coach, I'd be like, look, you had a great game against your old team and you showed them you can still produce in this league. It's over. The post-game taunting looks classless and is pointless.

I hear you. He's got the Napoleon complex going for him too. It's how he motivates himself, fully understand. But there are people that play the 'me vs the world' game with class. Jordan a classic example. Senior does it pretty nasty. He says they let him go wrongly, but in the way he says it just proves why they did. If you think his version of events is reality then you're crazy. I get it he's using this to motivate himself but he's likely twisting the story greatly to play the victim here. Regardless, they clearly misjudged what he has left in his tank. Luckily for them they found the next AJ green so it's all good...still would have been nice to have both on the field together but business is business...

Exactly, if he's a mental case, if he's not bitching about this, it's probably something else, which make him a huge pain in the ass to deal with in the locker room. Once his skills declined and he got older, the aggravation was probably no longer worth the production the team was getting, so Carolina dropped him.

Smith is just coming across as a classless idiot now.

What's the coles notes version?

If I were his coach, I'd be like, look, you had a great game against your old team and you showed them you can still produce in this league. It's over. The post-game taunting looks classless and is pointless.

Or you can just play him and feature him and enjoy the bump to your offense. Smitty got railroaded out of Carolina and they now have egg on their face, nothing more and nothing less. Dudes a baller and any team would love to have him.

Or you can just play him and feature him and enjoy the bump to your offense. Smitty got railroaded out of Carolina and they now have egg on their face, nothing more and nothing less. Dudes a baller and any team would love to have him.

A declining, aging player with a history of temper tantrums and punching teammates and a chip on his shoulder gets released after 10 years of employment due to declining skills. "You disrespec' me" as if there is some loyalty to a player who may or may not be a locker room distraction (most likely he was).

He gets jacked up and has a good game against his former team - great. However the derogatory and classless post game comments clearly shed some light on why a team may want to unload an older player with an attitude like that.

Im 100% with you on this one

dude got on and he is rubbing their nose in it

Smith unloads on a couple guys? Someone get Michael Sams on the phone stat; he might was to be on the Ravens' practice squad instead.

:first:

• Like 1

Beerz stop hating. Gettleman and Rivera flubbed the separation and everyone knows it. SS was the face of that franchise and the only bright spot for years while they toiled in mediocrity. They shouldve been straight with him and this would never have been an issue. Instead they were pony biotches and now he's enjoying his just rewards. Bears did the same thing w Urlacher, but he was so broken down by that point it didn't come back to bite them in the ass.

Beerz stop hating. Gettleman and Rivera flubbed the separation and everyone knows it. SS was the face of that franchise and the only bright spot for years while they toiled in mediocrity. They shouldve been straight with him and this would never have been an issue. Instead they were pony biotches and now he's enjoying his just rewards. Bears did the same thing w Urlacher, but he was so broken down by that point it didn't come back to bite them in the ass.

I could care less about Baltimore, Carolina, or Steve Smith's old ass. I'm calling it like I see it. He had a monster, statement game against his old team. That's powerful and sends a message "you ###### up and shouldn't have cut me"

However the post game comments and ongoing interviews show an unprofessional attitude and an axe to grind after 10 years in the league, you would think he'd have figured out how it works. I think it sheds some light on possible reasons why he was cut.

As for Urlacher, well was Chicago wrong? If he was still good enough to play, another team would have picked him up. He was old and slow and beat up. Separations like this never go well, and the player always paints the team as the bad guy for doing good business - unloading underperforming aging player assets. Happened with Emmitt Smith in Dallas, happened with Favre in Green Bay, and on and on. Players feel like they have some entitlement to some overpaid back end contract years based on previous services rendered, that's not how it works in this league. The only parts of a contract that are guaranteed are the signing bonus.

• Like 1

Like you wouldn't be pissed at the guy who spread a buncha hsit about you being a locker room cancer has been who can't run anymore? I realize what you're saying and agree there are better avenues to pursue such axes to grind. that said I don't blame SS at all, and Gettleman/Car shouldn't either.

Like you wouldn't be pissed at the guy who spread a buncha hsit about you being a locker room cancer has been who can't run anymore? I realize what you're saying and agree there are better avenues to pursue such axes to grind. that said I don't blame SS at all, and Gettleman/Car shouldn't either.

I'd be a lot more inclined to believe Steve Smith wasn't a locker room cancer if he displayed any kind of professionalism off the field after a statement game. If he walked off the field and said "I let my play do my talking for me". Ok enough said, that's respectful. Then he starts spewing off that he's a good teammate 'cuz I never beat my wife, I punched a few teammates years ago, but I never beat my wife.

He beat them, it's over, yet he still can't let it go...says a lot about where his head is at.

Great standard to hold yourself up to Steve...never beat my wife...it's vile to even say something like that. Love this dudes game and tenacity on the field but he's douchey in the head...doesn't matter how they ran him out or whatever...learn to be a decent human being...

A declining, aging player with a history of temper tantrums and punching teammates and a chip on his shoulder gets released after 10 years of employment due to declining skills. "You disrespec' me" as if there is some loyalty to a player who may or may not be a locker room distraction (most likely he was).

He gets jacked up and has a good game against his former team - great. However the derogatory and classless post game comments clearly shed some light on why a team may want to unload an older player with an attitude like that.

Declining? Obviously when he was a top 2 WR before. Not really much of a decline though. He took over as the Ravens Wr1 week 1. He's a better football player than any player on the Carolina Panthers and they freaking cut him.

Either way, he is winning, and winner gets the last word.

As a Smitty fan and Panther homer, what you see in that interview is what you get. A guy that plays with a chip on his shoulder and plays angry. But as you can see he can be a locker room killer too. Which is why he was let go, his act wore thin in Carolina, it was time for a change for him and the team.

• Like 1

Great standard to hold yourself up to Steve...never beat my wife...it's vile to even say something like that. Love this dudes game and tenacity on the field but he's douchey in the head...doesn't matter how they ran him out or whatever...learn to be a decent human being...

Take your own advice you berating priiick :overhead:

I wish Steve Smith could have been humble about his success on the Ravens. Stories like this make me think he will have a big downturn, life has a way of doing that to people like him.

Shut up with all the fake outrage. We all love smacktalking and badmouthing and we absolutly love hearing people badmouth others in the nfl. All the "he should stay classy" talk is making me sick. I tune in to hear shocking news story's and drama unfold just like any other TV show. When guys stay classy it's a yawnfest.

Shut up with all the fake outrage. We all love smacktalking and badmouthing and we absolutly love hearing people badmouth others in the nfl. All the "he should stay classy" talk is making me sick. I tune in to hear shocking news story's and drama unfold just like any other TV show. When guys stay classy it's a yawnfest.

That and the fans always complain players are greedy and should show loyalty to teams. Smitty was arguably the best WR in the league for much of his career, he could have gone to any NFL team in his prime and he could have played complete hardball and demanded the highest WR salary in the NFL. Instead he wanted to stay with one team his entire career so he didn't play hardball and he stuck around.

His reward? Get kicked to the curb and mocked and slandered for everything he did. And in terms of class, well, Charlotte still loves the dude because he is a charity beast. He doesn't have a criminal record or anything like that, just got spirited in practice like ALL the greats do. Michael Jordan punched teammates in practice too, almost every great player is known to blow up in practice, because they take everything so seriously.

Personally I thought it was hilarious. The talk is hilarious, the explosive performances were hilarious, and drafting him as my WR4 while this site insisted he was useless and now most likely getting WR1 numbers the rest of the way out is also hilarious to me. It even makes up for drafting useless ass Fitz, and WR2 Cruz.

I'm a 16 year old alcoholic whose father still uses the switch...just woke up with p00p in my pants. What do you expect?!? :(

He has scoreboard now, but that will belong to Carolina as soon as he goes on the shelf. Which could be any game now. Sounds like it wasn't personal him leaving, he was just pissed about how it was handled. Understandable.

Right, he put 2 teamates in the hospital and assaulted two others. But that's ok because it's man on man violence. He's a good person though because he doesn't beat women. :shocking:

Some players earn respect on the field and don't need to do all the post game trash-talking BS. This isn't the WWE.