Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Why college should not be free

Are you suggesting cops should be paid as much as doctors?

Nope. Are you suggesting that Doctors don't get rich from being subsidized?

Are you suggesting cops should be paid as much as doctors?

actually I think hes saying is that there isn't a private sector for cops, you cant work as a police officer for 5 years and open your own Cop office (yes I know maybe detective or PI)

Nope. Are you suggesting that Doctors don't get rich from being subsidized?

Doctors get rich from performing a job which requires extensive training and provides a valuable service.

actually I think hes saying is that there isn't a private sector for cops, you cant work as a police officer for 5 years and open your own Cop office (yes I know maybe detective or PI)

I didn’t get that from his post at all.

She is probably better staying in engineering, speaking from personal experience you can get a programming job with an engineering degree. I am not the only programmer at my company with an engineering degree. Most the people I work with do not have computer science degrees.

Computer science program generally teaches c++ which are not used by the majority of the businesses.

If she can learn to program and get an engineering degree she would be better off than getting a computer science degree. Not that my opinion carries any weight, but just something for you to consider.

I appreciate the input. She is currently majoring in MechE and realized that that isn't for her. She isn't a gearhead. Statics is killing her; I don't know why but it is. She was the top programming student in her HS, she is way more suited for it.

One of our best friends is a director at a major cable company, she has turned my daughter onto the wonders of Hadoop and big data in general (well, I helped steer her as well). Programmers who understand Hadoop can make crazy money, like Geek Club money. I explained to her that if it were easy then everyone would do it. Regardless, she has not been on a vector to graduate ME so she needs to pivot to something more in line with her skills and interests. :cheers:

I appreciate the input. She is currently majoring in MechE and realized that that isn't for her. She isn't a gearhead. Statics is killing her; I don't know why but it is. She was the top programming student in her HS, she is way more suited for it.

One of our best friends is a director at a major cable company, she has turned my daughter onto the wonders of Hadoop and big data in general (well, I helped steer her as well). Programmers who understand Hadoop can make crazy money, like Geek Club money. I explained to her that if it were easy then everyone would do it. Regardless, she has not been on a vector to graduate ME so she needs to pivot to something more in line with her skills and interests. :cheers:

I have limited experience with hadoop, but it is pretty much just a cloud database which uses sql to access it. For a data analyst it is no different than a sql server.

Analyzing data and good SQL skills are essential, but these are generally not CS skills. My youngest brother(11 years my junior) just graduated with a CS degree and did not take a single SQL class, 90% of his classes were around C++. If she gets good internships and can work with data then getting a CS degree is a good choice. The problem is so many CS degrees end up as a .net programmer which are a dime a dozen.

I have limited experience with hadoop, but it is pretty much just a cloud database which uses sql to access it. For a data analyst it is no different than a sql server.

Analyzing data and good SQL skills are essential, but these are generally not CS skills. My youngest brother(11 years my junior) just graduated with a CS degree and did not take a single SQL class, 90% of his classes were around C++. If she gets good internships and can work with data then getting a CS degree is a good choice. The problem is so many CS degrees end up as a .net programmer which are a dime a dozen.

My understanding is that Hadoop is a big data infrastructure which distributes big data for analysis on a bunch of servers and intelligently combines it.

Also I agree that I don't want her ending up as the IT guy in a Boston law firm who posts >100K times on a lightly trafficked FF bored. :cheers:

My understanding is that Hadoop is a big data infrastructure which distributes big data for analysis on a bunch of servers and intelligently combines it.

Also I agree that I don't want her ending up as the IT guy in a Boston law firm who posts >100K times on a lightly trafficked FF bored. :cheers:

The infrastructure only matters to the people who maintain the servers. To the people that work with the data or make the programs it does not matter whether the data is on one server or many servers.

It is great that your daughter want to works with data, but she will need to get good internships because college courses are not great at teaching database skills.

She is probably better staying in engineering, speaking from personal experience you can get a programming job with an engineering degree. I am not the only programmer at my company with an engineering degree. Most the people I work with do not have computer science degrees.

Computer science program generally teaches c++ which are not used by the majority of the businesses.

If she can learn to program and get an engineering degree she would be better off than getting a computer science degree. Not that my opinion carries any weight, but just something for you to consider.

No doubt. Plus engineers make better programmers because engineers think about things from a hardware\user perspective. Pure software people think everyone wants to write scripts and do command line shït as the interface because that's what they like.

Because entering the workforce $100,000+ in debt builds character.

Professors, their assistants to do the work, and the Dean of gender studies etc gotta get paid yo. Plus like I've said before, if college, especially private ones, weren't expensive, how else would all those rich kids get in?