Sign in to follow this  
GobbleDog

Serena Williams ranking on men's circuit?

I think she would be in the 40 to 60 range

ROFLMAO. After all the evidence posted above you think that? Wow. :doh:

Really? I don't know tennis that well but I didn't think that gap was that large.

I think this is all complete bs... John was baited into the comment. He gave her credit and then was lead down a rabbit hole that was completely unfair

It's been a topic of discussion before at my work. Our retired pro and a few others here that are amateurs guesstimated a while back she'd probably take a couple sets from that range. The lack of ability to score aces due to the serve velocity would doom a woman most of the time.

ROFLMAO. After all the evidence posted above you think that? Wow. :doh:

like what? martina? She was great but she is not even close to what Williams is.

A lot of what you guys are missing is that it's more than just the power of the serve. She's got the power to hang with some of the lower ranked ones and can return their serves as well. I'm not saying she's going to be the best but she can definitely compete with the guys ranking 30+

like what? martina? She was great but she is not even close to what Williams is.

You're right. You don't know tennis that well. If you did you'd know that tennis was played a different way during Martina's era. The equipment has changed so much in the last 30 years as to make current tennis a different sport than tennis from the 70's and 80's. Martina was as great in her era as Serena is in this one.

But forget Martina. Let's talk about the FACT that Serena played the 206th ranked MAN in the world and lost. And lost badly to a guy who wasn't even trying that hard. Let's talk about the FACT that she said if she were to play Andy Murray he would beat her 6-0, 6-0 in 10 minutes. Did you miss those posts? I think that is enough evidence to prove that she would not be competitive against any decently ranked man on tour.

A lot of what you guys are missing is that it's more than just the power of the serve. She's got the power to hang with some of the lower ranked ones and can return their serves as well. I'm not saying she's going to be the best but she can definitely compete with the guys ranking 30+

again im admittedly not highly educated but this is what I think

No, she can't. She played the 206th ranked male and got embarrassed by him. What is wrong with you people? :doh:

You're right. You don't know tennis that well. If you did you'd know that tennis was played a different way during Martina's era. The equipment has changed so much in the last 30 years as to make current tennis a different sport than tennis from the 70's and 80's. Martina was as great in her era as Serena is in this one.

But forget Martina. Let's talk about the FACT that Serena played the 206th ranked MAN in the world and lost. And lost badly to a guy who wasn't even trying that hard. Let's talk about the FACT that she said if she were to play Andy Murray he would beat her 6-0, 6-0 in 10 minutes. Did you miss those posts? I think that is enough evidence to prove that she would not be competitive against any decently ranked man on tour.

Ok, I will concede on this. I was probably way off

No, she can't. She played the 206th ranked male and got embarrassed by him. What is wrong with you people? :doh:

BTW when was this out of curiosity? didnt know it happened

BTW when was this out of curiosity? didnt know it happened

The story is posted earlier in this thread. Her comments about Andy Murray donuting her are much more recent.

So dumb. Men's and women's sports are miles apart, and shouldn't be discussed together. Why would they? I hate this shitt. Give her the credit she deserves. She's the best female tennis player on the planet, and the best ever to play women's tennis. Why try to compare her to Federer or Djoker. There's no comparison.

Same shitt with ncaa female head coaches of basketball. What Geno did was awesome, but you can't compare it to Wooden. Talent is different. The talent is deeper in the men's game. It's stupid focking arguments.

So dumb. Men's and women's sports are miles apart, and shouldn't be discussed together. Why would they? I hate this shitt. Give her the credit she deserves. She's the best female tennis player on the planet, and the best ever to play women's tennis. Why try to compare her to Federer or Djoker. There's no comparison.

Same shitt with ncaa female head coaches of basketball. What Geno did was awesome, but you can't compare it to Wooden. Talent is different. The talent is deeper in the men's game. It's stupid focking arguments.

I agree with all of this except the part about her being the best ever to play women's tennis. It's easy to say she would kill someone like Martina given the current equipment which allows the ball to travel much faster. We don't know how she'd do using the same equipment as the previous eras. Just like it's hard to compare players across eras in other sports, it's hard to do so in tennis. Also, this thread isn't trying to compare her to Fed, just whether she'd be competitive on the men's tour. And she wouldn't.

• Like 1

Sometimes things just aren't even worth arguing.

Thinking Serena would even win a 1st round match of a major with the same rules the men play, is beyond laughable.

I agree with all of this except the part about her being the best ever to play women's tennis. It's easy to say she would kill someone like Martina given the current equipment which allows the ball to travel much faster. We don't know how she'd do using the same equipment as the previous eras. Just like it's hard to compare players across eras in other sports, it's hard to do so in tennis. Also, this thread isn't trying to compare her to Fed, just whether she'd be competitive on the men's tour. And she wouldn't.

I agree on the trying to compare across era part, but I'll disagree on the best ever. Williams imo, is the best ever. And yes, she wouldn't be competitive against pro male tennis players.

Okay, I'll play. We're headed this way anyway. The idea that girls can do anything the boys can do. what are we f****** 5?

Worse yet, the gender is somehow an Antiquated concept made up by the paternalist.

So f*** it, let's go one year where there are absolutely no divisions in any sort of competition. You know what's going to happen? Women will b**** because they're not anywhere near the top 100. They will b**** because they're getting hurt and not protected. They will b**** in they will b**** and they will b****.

Of course, that has to apply to litigation as well. Completely eliminate the outdated system of alimony and child support. Because sisters are doing it for themselves. They can earn their own money!

As much as women want to chant this mantra, they still want their alimony, they still want jobs where they can be entirely stupid but look good in a skirt sitting at a front desk. Not to mention, they don't want to be held accountable when they drink too much and have sex with someone. No, that's never their fault either.

But back to the point. Let's eliminate Title Nine entirely as well. If your sport doesn't make money? F*** it. This is capitalism. If men's football makes the money, then women's badminton shouldn't get a f****** dime. And if women can't make the football team? Well then they don't get a f****** scholarship. See how the s*** works?

+1

Same as with the Borg comment from above, why would you compare Borg to today's players, but not give Borg the advantage of today's training, diet and technology advances. When he played he was the best in the world, if he grew up in this era his game would be elevated by leaps and bounds.

I avoid the this player is better than that, if the didn't play each other in their primes...I'll just make a tennis clubhouse for the best ever and it would include Serena, Steffi, Martina N, and Chris for the players I saw. Pretty sure Billie Jean and Court would be included too, but I didn't see them to know.

I agree on the trying to compare across era part, but I'll disagree on the best ever. Williams imo, is the best ever. And yes, she wouldn't be competitive against pro male tennis players.

Yup.

She would crush Martina and Steffi and Monica

The story is posted earlier in this thread. Her comments about Andy Murray donuting her are much more recent.

Yea I wasn't aware that happened either. Well then I've been proven wrong. Maybe she would be ranked in the 700s like the guy said she would

(Take note guys cause this is the proper response when proven wrong instead of just insulting someone, calling them idiots, and refusing to acknowledge the facts)

Yup.

She would crush Martina and Steffi and Monica

Disagree, all three of them had good power(Not Serena power, but good), Martina and Steffi were as good or better athletes(foot speed) and had much much better fitness. Serena's game also leads to a high amount of unforced errors that would level the playing field against any of the three you mentioned. Not saying she wouldn't win, but I don't think she would crush any of them and IMO, at their primes, this is a pick-em. Just my opinion.

+1

Same as with the Borg comment from above, why would you compare Borg to today's players, but not give Borg the advantage of today's training, diet and technology advances. When he played he was the best in the world, if he grew up in this era his game would be elevated by leaps and bounds.

I avoid the this player is better than that, if the didn't play each other in their primes...I'll just make a tennis clubhouse for the best ever and it would include Serena, Steffi, Martina N, and Chris for the players I saw. Pretty sure Billie Jean and Court would be included too, but I didn't see them to know.

I agree completely about comparing across era's. It's hard to do. It's unfair to past players. But sometimes it's obvious. Today's players are bigger, stronger, faster. They just are. Serena is a freak of nature (in a good way) regardless of era. I truly believe she would have dominated any era of female tennis. Give her or past players, equipment, training, etc etc, equal to each player, from any era, and I'll put my money on Serena.

Just my two cents tho. And pretty meaningless since there's no real way to know, but kind of fun.

Disagree, all three of them had good power(Not Serena power, but good), Martina and Steffi were as good or better athletes(foot speed) and had much much better fitness. Serena's game also leads to a high amount of unforced errors that would level the playing field against any of the three you mentioned. Not saying she wouldn't win, but I don't think she would crush any of them and IMO, at their primes, this is a pick-em. Just my opinion.

That's fair and good points.

But remember, if Monica Seles didn't get stabbed in the back, Steffi doesn't go on to win nearly as many as she did.

Monica was the best female of all time, before Serena

Valid. :thumbsup:

I agree completely about comparing across era's. It's hard to do. It's unfair to past players. But sometimes it's obvious. Today's players are bigger, stronger, faster. They just are. Serena is a freak of nature (in a good way) regardless of era. I truly believe she would have dominated any era of female tennis. Give her or past players, equipment, training, etc etc, equal to each player, from any era, and I'll put my money on Serena.

Just my two cents tho. And pretty meaningless since there's no real way to know, but kind of fun.

Here's the thing. Bigger, stronger, faster wasn't what won you tennis in the 70's. The rackets didn't allow you go generate as much pace. That's why you had serve/volley players, which you rarely see any more. So many of the advantages Serena has now would have been nullified in earlier eras. Back then you won with strategy, consistency, shot placement. Now you just whack the ball all over the court. Main reason I don't watch much tennis any more. For the most part it's a boring sport now IMO.

Would Serena beat Mac if they played tomorrow?

He still plays on the senior tour at a pretty high level. or at least a year or 2 ago.

Great question

That's fair and good points.

But remember, if Monica Seles didn't get stabbed in the back, Steffi doesn't go on to win nearly as many as she did.

Monica was the best female of all time, before Serena

That was a sad day in tennis. Serena had started to dominate Steffi but it had been for a relatively short period of time before she got stabbed. Would have been nice to see if Steffi could change up her game to deal with the things Monica did that gave her trouble.

Agreed.

But if you want to call someone the best in the world, you have include everybody. The interviewer wanted McEnroe to call her the best in the world, without the "female" qualifier. Which just isn't true.

Would Serena beat Mac if they played tomorrow?

Man, they could make a lot of money if they announced this given recent events. Her pregnancy might get in the way though.

Man, they could make a lot of money if they announced this given recent events. Her pregnancy might get in the way though.

I didn't even know the pregnancy things was legit. Shows how close I follow tennis. :doh:

Here's the thing. Bigger, stronger, faster wasn't what won you tennis in the 70's. The rackets didn't allow you go generate as much pace. That's why you had serve/volley players, which you rarely see any more. So many of the advantages Serena has now would have been nullified in earlier eras. Back then you won with strategy, consistency, shot placement. Now you just whack the ball all over the court. Main reason I don't watch much tennis any more. For the most part it's a boring sport now IMO.

I think she's good enough to adapt to the style of play in past era's. She's crazy talented, but so were the others of past era's. The only female sport I'll watch is tennis...well, beach volleyball.

Women's tennis still has plenty of volley and placement players, but they have plenty of power players also. I find it to be a good mix. Men's on the other hand is awful. 180mph serve, horrible return, winner. Or 60 aces a match. It's almost all power. Unwatchable.

That was a sad day in tennis. Serena had started to dominate Steffi but it had been for a relatively short period of time before she got stabbed. Would have been nice to see if Steffi could change up her game to deal with the things Monica did that gave her trouble.

Yes it was.

She was one of the 1st screamers and I loved me some Steffi, I didn't like Monica very much.

I don't think anyone watched as many different sports as I did back in the early 90s.

Loved me some sports.

Agreed.

But if you want to call someone the best in the world, you have include everybody. The interviewer wanted McEnroe to call her the best in the world, without the "female" qualifier. Which just isn't true.

He wanted a gotcha moment. Then they'd call him sexist and a misogynist, and they'd probably throw in racist for good measure. She's the best female player on the planet. She's not the best "player" on the planet.

Yes it was.

She was one of the 1st screamers and I loved me some Steffi, I didn't like Monica very much.

I don't think anyone watched as many different sports as I did back in the early 90s.

Loved me some sports.

And Monica played a two handed swing both ways. Backhand and forehand. Was very rare for the times. That was a sad day.

And Monica played a two handed swing both ways. Backhand and forehand. Was very rare for the times. That was a sad day.

from when she turned pro to being stabbed.

Grand Slam singles finals

Winner 1990 French Open Clay Germany Steffi Graf 7–6(8–6), 6–4
Winner 1991 Australian Open Hard Czechoslovakia Jana Novotná 5–7, 6–3, 6–1
Winner 1991 French Open (2) Clay Spain Arantxa Sánchez Vicario 6–3, 6–4
Winner 1991 US Open Hard United States Martina Navratilova 7–6(7–1), 6–1
Winner 1992 Australian Open (2) Hard United States Mary Joe Fernández 6–2, 6–3
Winner 1992 French Open (3) Clay Germany Steffi Graf 6–2, 3–6, 10–8
Run-up 1992 Wimbledon Grass Germany Steffi Graf 2–6, 1–6
Winner 1992 US Open (2) Hard Spain Arantxa Sánchez Vicario 6–3, 6–3
Winner 1993 Australian Open (3) Hard Germany Steffi Graf 4–6, 6–3, 6–2

:o

from when she turned pro to being stabbed.

Grand Slam singles finals

Winner 1990 French Open Clay Germany Steffi Graf 76(86), 64
Winner 1991 Australian Open Hard Czechoslovakia Jana Novotná 57, 63, 61
Winner 1991 French Open (2) Clay Spain Arantxa Sánchez Vicario 63, 64
Winner 1991 US Open Hard United States Martina Navratilova 76(71), 61
Winner 1992 Australian Open (2) Hard United States Mary Joe Fernández 62, 63
Winner 1992 French Open (3) Clay Germany Steffi Graf 62, 36, 108
Run-up 1992 Wimbledon Grass Germany Steffi Graf 26, 16
Winner 1992 US Open (2) Hard Spain Arantxa Sánchez Vicario 63, 63
Winner 1993 Australian Open (3) Hard Germany Steffi Graf 46, 63, 62
:o

Crazy talented.

THIS.

Racquet technology today is so focking better than it was even just ten years ago. That isn't even counting the string quality available now.

are we sending Serena back to the 70s to play? :huh:

This is 2017.

The older players come to this era to compete.

are we sending Serena back to the 70s to play? :huh:

This is 2017.

The older players come to this era to compete.

Hence my comments about comparing across eras. It just doesn't work.