Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Hand

Accountant Turned Goalie For One Night in NHL

A hockey-playing accountant named Scott might be the whitest person alive.

Great story. The Coyotes emergency goalie works out at our crossfit gym; a few weeks ago my wife was there in the afternoon and said he had to leave to go to the stadium because our goalie got into a car accident. We hadn't even heard of such a thing until then. :cheers:

According to Wikipedia he is the first emergency goalie to see action - at least in modern times

Why has no one ever tried though?

With a little luck and some help from Carl's Jr, I believe we will get there within our lifetimes. :thumbsup:

With a little luck and some help from Carl's Jr, I believe we will get there within our lifetimes. :thumbsup:

I think it would work but owners/coaches know it would make a joke out game. More than it already is that is.

I think it would work but owners/coaches know it would make a joke out game. More than it already is that is.

Yup, it would be the equivalent of the Eddie Gaedel thing in baseball, or Shawn Bradley in basketball. :thumbsup:

The guy was a college goalie. He still plays in two beer leagues. I play in a beer league myself. There are different levels of beer leagues and at the rink I play at, the top beer league level consists of mostly former college hockey players and in the summer current college players. And goalies in these leagues get to play for practically free. It's called a beer league, because (at least in mine) you bring a cooler to the game and drink beers after the game (some guys on my team have a couple before the game too). So, the guy likely is not really just a complete stiff they dragged off the street. The Blackhawks protected him well and he only faced 7 shots. Goalie is a tough position but you just have to stop shots, you don't need to know plays or fit in with your teammates. Almost like a kicker or punter in that you just need to do your job. They do play a big factor in the outcome of game though.

Id say a little over half the beer league guys on my night were college hockey players, only a couple were D1. Had a few rare cameos of older former NHLers playing that was a lot of fun. I stopped in HS and picked it back up in my 30s. Most the guys I play with are late 40s early 50s so my talent gap is lessened by the age gap a bit, but those can can still really play.

I've always wondered this too. I would get biggest fattest focker I could find and plop him in front of the goal.

Goalies are typically pretty big dudes, but how is a morbidly obese person's knees going to survive all those games? Plus they can't react. Can't come out of the net. Probably can't pass

I hope this is fishing.

You are so dumb. Dumber then your idea.

I hope this is fishing.

Got me hook line and sinker.

Digby played college ball. Won a national championship. I'd say he's the most accomplished athlete here at the Geek club. Anyone top that?

You are so dumb. Dumber then your idea.

Why don't you think it can work? The surface area of a hockey goalie is 24 feet. Using the Du Bois formula the surface area of the fattest person to ever live was 45.41 feet. Granted that is the surface area of the front and back of that person. Lets divide it by 2.2 (.2 to account in for the sides of the person just to be safe) the answer is 20.64 feet squared. So really he only has 4 feet of surface area to worry about and that is doing the math without said person wearing any hockey gear. Hockey sucks man, sorry.

Why don't you think it can work? The surface area of a hockey goalie is 24 feet. Using the Du Bois formula the surface area of the fattest person to ever live was 45.41 feet. Granted that is the surface area of the front and back of that person. Lets divide it by 2.2 (.2 to account in for the sides of the person just to be safe) the answer is 20.64 feet squared. So really he only has 4 feet of surface area to worry about and that is doing the math without said person wearing any hockey gear. Hockey sucks man, sorry.

Then don't post in a hockey thread then. Easy peasy

Then don't post in a hockey thread then. Easy peasy

Just ignore me. Easy peasy. I don't care what a loser drunk thinks anyway. :dunno:

Just ignore me. Easy peasy. I don't care what a loser drunk thinks anyway. :dunno:

OK Digby

According to Wikipedia he is the first emergency goalie to see action - at least in modern times

The Canes had their equipment guy play in a game as a emergency goalie within the last couple of years.

By your reasoning, statistically, bigger goalies should be better than smaller goalies

Exhibit A: Dominik Hasek

By your reasoning, statistically, bigger goalies should be better than smaller goalies

He has no level headed reasoning

Don't get me wrong it's a cool story but how am I supposed to take this sport seriously.

I mean and no other sport do you do that. I mean some Sunday morning they're not going to just Wrangle out some bartender and he's playing quarterback in the NFL. Although one could argue that would still be better than anything Cleveland has seen and 25 years

Obvious the tale of Shane Falco has alluded you

Like the midget baseball player

I don't think it would be linear. The bigger and less athletic they got, the worse the goalie they'd be, until they reach some threshold where they're simply blocking the entire opening with their blubber, at which point they'd make a great goalie.

A hockey-playing accountant named Scott might be the whitest person alive.

Lucky guy. Probably has a 401k AND a Roth IRA