Sign in to follow this  
Filthy Fernadez

Who has a Big Green Egg or Ceramic Type Grill?

I just bought a slightly used BGE XL with some extras ($650 which is a steal) but have no experience using these.

Any recommendations on cooking on them, care/maintenance of them?

• Like 1

Is there an advantage to having one of those over a standard grill?

Is there an advantage to having one of those over a standard grill?

Yes...

First from the title of the thread. No...I dont personally but will be adding one.

Second to explain my yes to you.

Ceramic hole temps very well...great for smoking things at consistent temps. In addition versatile to use for very high heat cooks as well.

That said...for the once a month griller...probably not worth the extra cost.

• Like 1

Yes...

First from the title of the thread. No...I dont personally but will be adding one.

Ceramic hole temps very well...great for smoking things at consistent temps. In addition versatile to use for very high heat cooks as well.

Never used one of known anyone that has had one. Most smokers my buddies have are completely different with smoke stacks and a separate compartment to put the wood in

Never used one of known anyone that has had one. Most smokers my buddies have are completely different with smoke stacks and a separate compartment to put the wood in

Offset smokers probably. Can be a pain in the ass.

Ive smoked on those, on a BgE, a Weber Smokey mountain (known as a bullet smoker), a normal Weber kettle, and an electric smoker.

As far as ease...lets take the electric out as thats just not fair.

BGE was next...friend already had it dialed in well from previous cooks. So it was easy to do.

Smokey Mountain next.

Id put my kettle over the offsets with separate box. Its a pain that you have to check it a little more than some...but i got pretty consistent temps and cooks with it.

I was tempted with some of the newer electric smokers. Freaking Bluetooth apps and stuff...just so easy.

Ceramic though...as I said, so versatile. Id probably get rid of both my Weber kettle and possibly not replace my gas grill when it does if I got one.

For me Id rather go with ease that still makes it taste good. My gas grill is perfect for that. Will end up getting a wood burning grill with a smoke stack like my buddy has. But thats further down the road once I establish myself and buy a house.

It works best for cooking Big Green Ham

I have a BGE. Ive done slow smoked ribs, brisket, pork shoulder, a thanksgiving turkey. You can get it up to 800 degrees and do a steak or pizza. It is time consuming and definitely a craft.

I got a WiFi digital controller by flameboss that is great for it. It uses a little computer fan you put on the intake and it will modulate the air maintain a constant temp. Makes a 12 hour brisket cook a lot easier. You can watch on your phone grill temp and change it, and set alarms for food temp.

• Like 1

Yes...

:thumbsup:

For me Id rather go with ease that still makes it taste good. My gas grill is perfect for that. Will end up getting a wood burning grill with a smoke stack like my buddy has. But thats further down the road once I establish myself and buy a house.

Just take your BIL's.

Thanks for the replies guys.

I'd never have paid full price for this rig but this lady easily spent $1500+ on this so $650 was a deal too good to pass up. I'll probably get rid of my Jenn Air propane grill and my Weber Kettle.

A couple friends of mine have similar ones and they're extremely happy with them. Boston butts, pork shoulders, ribs, steaks, pizzas, etc.......There's no comparison between propane and these things.

I'd never have paid full price for this rig but this lady easily spent $1500+ on this so $650 was a deal too good to pass up. I'll probably get rid of my Jenn Air propane grill and my Weber Kettle.

A couple friends of mine have similar ones and they're extremely happy with them. Boston butts, pork shoulders, ribs, steaks, pizzas, etc.......There's no comparison between propane and these things.

Sounds like you got a hell of a deal then. Let me know how it is. Ive seen them but never thought about buying one

:lol:

My kid got me a Yeti for my 50th a few weeks ago. :doh:

Bet you wouldnt have bought one yourself would you?

Nope. Nor would I have bought that BGE if it wasn't over half off.

My yeti isnt the hard plastic kind. My mom got everyone the big bag yeti that zips. Looked at it at bass pro and the dam thing was still $299

I bought a smoke hollow LP smoker at Lowes yesterday and smoked some ribs and chicken in it today.

Very easy to use, temp stayed consistent and it all came out great.

Id heard you cant get a good crust or a nice skin on a chicken with an LP smoker, but I didnt find that to be the case.

Probably wont win any awards next to a good offset charcoal smoker, but other than adding wood chips a few times, it was pretty much set it and forget it.

Ribs on the Weber kettle today...man they were tasty. Its a bit more labor intensive (check temp every 30-45 minutes and add a couple hunks of charcoal). Not bad for ribs...more of a pain for a longer cook.

Added bonus that the wife loves the smell after I make some Q.

:lol:

My kid got me a Yeti for my 50th a few weeks ago. :doh:

Did you put the sticker on your lifted truck?

• Like 1

Ribs on the Weber kettle today...man they were tasty. Its a bit more labor intensive (check temp every 30-45 minutes and add a couple hunks of charcoal). Not bad for ribs...more of a pain for a longer cook.

Added bonus that the wife loves the smell after I make some Q.

I do my ribs on an older weber gas grill. It keeps a steady temp surprisingly well :dunno:

Nah..........I covered up my tramp stamp with it.

Bonus point if it said "Cack garage"

I do my ribs on an older weber gas grill. It keeps a steady temp surprisingly well :dunno:

Have done them on gas before too. Obviously a steady temp and can get an ok smoke with a foil packet.

Just prefer the big chunks of wood vs chips and charcoal for this.

Have done them on gas before too. Obviously a steady temp and can get an ok smoke with a foil packet.

Just prefer the big chunks of wood vs chips and charcoal for this.

I agree it would be better, just not that much better for me to change lol

Congrats, you are entering a rabbit hole of a hobby... I am grabbing something from Wegmans on my way home today to do up on saturday.

Agree on the prices of these things, they are insane. I did a very large favor for a friend who got me the BGE setup as a thank you. I don't think i'd have ever paid full boat for one despite their awesomeness.

• Like 1

They are great for those w/out the time or space for conventional smokers - and are versatile enuff to add a direct grilling feature.

I prefer my offset stick burner though.

I bought a smoke hollow LP smoker at Lowes yesterday and smoked some ribs and chicken in it today.

Very easy to use, temp stayed consistent and it all came out great.

Id heard you cant get a good crust or a nice skin on a chicken with an LP smoker, but I didnt find that to be the case.

Probably wont win any awards next to a good offset charcoal smoker, but other than adding wood chips a few times, it was pretty much set it and forget it.

I have an offset and a lp smoker. Lp gets used 99% of the time. Its easier and the results are just as good IMO.

So I used the SMOBOT Controller I bought for my BGE a few times now and it's worth every focking penny I paid for it. It's the equivalent of going from stove top cooking where you have to babysit the pot to cooking in a stove where you set the temp and come back when the timer goes off. :thumbsup: