Sign in to follow this  
Frozenbeernuts

Taking the conceal carry class today

I go to the gym regularly. I can hold my own if I am put in that situation, but this isn't for protection just in case some idiot wants to fist fight. I doubt I will ever have to use it, but there are plenty of situations out there where carrying a firearm saved someone's ass. Might as well have one.

Plus if there is a group of people and I am with my kids or my SO, I want to be able to protect them. If a gun is treated with the utmost care and respect, it's not dangerous to the user. Too many people get cocky and careless, including cops. I don't plan on ever taking a gun for granted.

Id be willing to bet most gun owners feel this way, yet accidents, domestic disputes and suicides get in the way of reality.

I use meaningless suicide stats in vane to try and justify my communist anti gun views

• Like 1

I feel sorry for the first black guy who accidentally bumps into you at the grocery store. You will be constantly daydreaming of the opportunity to draw it in public and do cool robocop flip tricks you practiced in the mirror. First chance you get you will spring into action like Dirty Harry. You will reach for the gun, shaking like a leaf in a windstorm, probably drop it and shoot your big toe off and cause a panic in the process.

Dammit. I thought that secret was tucked away in the recesses of my mind.

Nah, I hope I never use it.

Good for you! Nothing wrong with soliciting advice but go with what feels most comfortable for you. You're the one carrying it and you're the one who is going to have to use it.

Dammit. I thought that secret was tucked away in the recesses of my mind.

Nah, I hope I never use it.

If you dont get one, you wont have to hope, you will for sure never use it since you wont have it. Your chances of getting shot drastically rise just from having a gun anywhere near you. Again, courting trouble is the key phrase.

True story. Look at the stats. Feeling safer does not equate to actually being safer.

No. Your first post stated that owning a gun makes you less safe. So, unless you produce the stat that over 50% of gun owners are injured or killed by their guns, youre wrong.

How much you want for it? Tried one of those and I just love them.

I am looking for 1200. It's a Springfield v12 Match grade with a ported barrel and rubber grips. The gun is wicked. It also comes with a .22 conversion kit and a box of ammo.

If you dont get one, you wont have to hope, you will for sure never use it since you wont have it. Your chances of getting shot drastically rise just from having a gun anywhere near you. Again, courting trouble is the key phrase.

We have to consider how many dumb shlts carry guns who have no business doing so. People who look down the barrel of their gun when it jams or delayed fire

I use meaningless suicide stats in vane to try and justify my communist anti gun views

Even if you exclude suicides, you’re more likely to be shot by your own gun that shoot a bad guy ;)

No. Your first post stated that owning a gun makes you less safe. So, unless you produce the stat that over 50% of gun owners are injured or killed by their guns, youre wrong.

The comparator is not owning a gun. My statement is accurate, and the 50% stat you concocted is absurd.

The comparator is not owning a gun. My statement is accurate, and the 50% stat you concocted is absurd.

Yes,those "less safe vs safe" stats are painted with a broad brush. We can make studies look the way we want to. Until there is a stat that supports that I am less safe with a gun in crime-ridden hoods, Ill pass on the stats. Hell, I actually hold my gun in my lap when Im driving through the ghetto. And I never fully stop at red lights at night.If I come to an intersection where people are milling around, I just tap the brakes and move along. Ive seen too much stupid sh!t happen to people to take a chance. Ive seen people ambushed at stop lights, thugs intentionally cause accidents to rob and murder, and people followed home to be robbed and murdered. Am I delusional and paranoid? Nope, just prepared. I take realistic precautions for the enviroment that I am in. Its not for everyone.

Yes,those "less safe vs safe" stats are painted with a broad brush. We can make studies look the way we want to. Until there is a stat that supports that I am less safe with a gun in crime-ridden hoods, Ill pass on the stats. Hell, I actually hold my gun in my lap when Im driving through the ghetto. And I never fully stop at red lights at night.If I come to an intersection where people are milling around, I just tap the brakes and move along. Ive seen too much stupid sh!t happen to people to take a chance. Ive seen people ambushed at stop lights, thugs intentionally cause accidents to rob and murder, and people followed home to be robbed and murdered. Am I delusional and paranoid? Nope, just prepared. I take realistic precautions for the enviroment that I am in. Its not for everyone.

Whatever gets you through the day. Why the need to drive through bad neighborhoods so often?

And no, you can’t make legitimate studies to support anything. Or do you not believe in objective truth?

Thats a good EDC too. As a lefty, I like the ambi mag release. Just not a huge fan of the grip safety. Just looks wonky and I heard its a bit of a PITA to change the back strap because of it.

Disclaimer: I dont CC. I just hit the range once a month and do an occasional IDPA event in the area.

Not to mention the standard flamen is totally bass ackwards from your typical PRQ. Makes it almost impossible to side pommel in a bunsweigher formation.

Other than that, though...

My concealed carry was virtually worthless in Houston.

First off, every building every hospital every church has big old signs say something like kindly leave your guns in your vehicles. Well they're not doing me any good there are they?

And second, do you have any idea how hot it gets in Houston in the summer? I left my sidearm in the 4x one day and the rounds started popping off. Damn near killed my kid.

Did you know that in Texas you cant bring a firearm into a bar? Doesn't matter if it's loaded or unloaded. Doesn't matter if you have a badge or not. Doesn't matter if you're drinking or not.

My concealed carry was virtually worthless in Houston.

First off, every building every hospital every church has big old signs say something like kindly leave your guns in your vehicles. Well they're not doing me any ###### good there are they?

'zackly Wally.

The 2A says we have "the right to keep and bear arms..." I can't very well bring it to bear if I can't keep it with me, now can I?

The 2A is my carry permit.

'zackly Wally.

The 2A says we have "the right to keep and bear arms..." I can't very well bring it to bear if I can't keep it with me, now can I?

The 2A is my carry permit.

So a private landowner has no right to prohibit dangerous weapons on their property?

So a private landowner has no right to prohibit dangerous weapons on their property?

Sure they do. Unless and until they open that land to the public. At which point I am free to exercise my rights as an American. You can put a "No Guns" sign up but if I'm carrying a concealed weapon you'll never know I have it because it's concealed.
  • Like 1

Sure they do. Unless and until they open that land to the public. At which point I am free to exercise my rights as an American. You can put a "No Guns" sign up but if I'm carrying a concealed weapon you'll never know I have it because it's concealed.

Oof. You guys are living out these cringe fantasies of playing cops and robbers in the old west. It’s pretty funny at this point.

Oof. You guys are living out these cringe fantasies of playing cops and robbers in the old west. Its pretty funny at this point.

Funny you should say that. Every retired cop I know carries a gun everywhere they go. Why do you think that is? Are they paranoid or do they, maybe, know something about the world that you're oblivious to?

Funny you should say that. Every retired cop I know carries a gun everywhere they go. Why do you think that is? Are they paranoid or do they, maybe, know something about the world that you're oblivious to?

I’ll give current and former law enforcement a pass. Still paranoid and not necessary to carry, but they get a pass.

Ill give current and former law enforcement a pass. Still paranoid and not necessary to carry, but they get a pass.

Why would they get a pass but people like me, raised by those same people, grown up under the same circumstances, instilled with the same sense of duty to protect me, mine and yours, if need be, not be afforded the same deference?

I disagree. You have the right to bear arms. But not on my property. Just like a private business can prohibit certain forms of speech, and can require searches of bags, etc.

You are correct though. In 90% of cases, its concealed and nobody would know.

Its the open carry jerkoff that causes the problem.

• Like 1

Ill give current and former law enforcement a pass. Still paranoid and not necessary to carry, but they get a pass.

Why paranoid? I assume youve never seen a LEO get confronted in Wal Mart by someone they arrested. My dad had a guy he arrested deliver furniture to our house when I was little. Is that paranoid? The federal gov thought it was legit enough to pass LEOSA.

Whatever gets you through the day. Why the need to drive through bad neighborhoods so often?

I drive in those hoods because I work in those hoods. Even the worst ghettos get firehouses. If you were me, would you take any measures for protection or would you refer to a study and think youre safer without a gun? As I said, those studies are painted with a broad brush. I do what I do for my circumstances.

My agency has thought enough of the dangers to issue ballistic vests for EMS runs. But hey,as you say, it gets me through the day.

Why paranoid? I assume youve never seen a LEO get confronted in Wal Mart by someone they arrested. My dad had a guy he arrested deliver furniture to our house when I was little. Is that paranoid? The federal gov thought it was legit enough to pass LEOSA.

Even cops, whose job depends on proper use of firearms, shoot themselves almost as much as they are killed by gunfire. Would you expect the general public to handle their guns any better?

Even cops, whose job depends on proper use of firearms, shoot themselves almost as much as they are killed by gunfire. Would you expect the general public to handle their guns any better?

Are they killed by their own gun while almost at the same rate as they are shot and killed? As I said before, you can convey studies to fit a narrative. Your stat seems shocking, but not so much when you analyze it. And I would trust my civilian friends more than some cops Ive seen. I saw a girl pull her gun out for regular inspection and her holster was full of cheeto crumbs. Some cops are worthless.

I drive in those hoods because I work in those hoods. Even the worst ghettos get firehouses. If you were me, would you take any measures for protection or would you refer to a study and think youre safer without a gun? As I said, those studies are painted with a broad brush. I do what I do for my circumstances.

My agency has thought enough of the dangers to issue ballistic vests for EMS runs. But hey,as you say, it gets me through the day.

I'd probably find another job. If that is your only option, I guess a vest and firearm are reasonable. But legitimate day-to-day safety concerns don't apply to the vast majority of gun owners.

Are they killed by their own gun while almost at the same rate as they are shot and killed? As I said before, you can convey studies to fit a narrative. Your stat seems shocking, but not so much when you analyze it.

Yes. But you guys get your panties in a wad when anyone mentions the s word.

To be clear, by virtue of their profession, cops need guns. Most of the rest of us don't.

legitimate day-to-day safety concerns don't apply to the vast majority of gun owners.

Ill agree with this.

I have my CC permit, but I don't carry. It's not dangerous where I live, but I got the permit because I live in NY State, and you never know when the whacko Governor is going to try and take away our rights. I wanted to be grandfathered in.

I have my CC permit, but I don't carry. It's not dangerous where I live, but I got the permit because I live in NY State, and you never know when the whacko Governor is going to try and take away our rights. I wanted to be grandfathered in.

Same with me. I live in MA, an even more gun un-friendly state. I have carried a couple of times, other than that, I dont carry. I just keep it for home defense. My instructor recommended to get the the carry license rather than a lower grade license, because if you ever change your mind and want to carry, youll never get upgraded to carry in this focking state.

• Like 1

HK Vp9 SK is awesome. Bit wide for summer carry. S&W shields are great for carry anytime...I suggest the 9 or 45

Take a look at Sig's new P365. This is a 9mm double stack that is smaller than the shield 9 & holds 10+1.

do what I do, put it in your butt.

Oh you mean a gun?

HK Vp9 SK is awesome. Bit wide for summer carry. S&W shields are great for carry anytime...I suggest the 9 or 45

Take a look at Sig's new P365. This is a 9mm double stack that is smaller than the shield 9 & holds 10+1.

There is no need for a 45 for carrying

There is no need for a 45 for carrying

Perfect defensive round. More mass, less velocity = greater stopping power & less chance of over penitration.