Sign in to follow this  
easydoesit

Green Bay production? and not just yesterday. Anyone have answers...homers insight?

I think it is just yesterday since no one had anything bad to say before this loss. They were undefeated and riding high. Next week at Carolina is going to tell us alot about this team.

• Like 1

I think it is just yesterday since no one had anything bad to say before this loss. They were undefeated and riding high. Next week at Carolina is going to tell us alot about this team.

I don't think it's true that no one had anything bad to say. The offense has not lived up to expectations, being held to small numbers by teams like SF, for example. Expectations before the season, even after Jordy went down, were similar to what the Pats are doing on offense.

I think it's a combo platter. Running game problems (did you see how many times Cobb was in the backfield?), along with a very young receiving corp.

Yesterday was the Denver defense all day. They are a nasty bunch. It was one of those games where a team gets knocked back on its heels, and that's the end of it (Denver in their last SB for instance).

Yeah Denver defense is amazing , Rodgers had 77 passing yards oh my soul . And I agree I did not hear that there was anything wrong with the packers before last night , I think it's more about how good the Broncos def played .

Rodgers has been average this year. A big 5 TD game inflated his numbers. Sure he's had a few 3 TD games, but so has every other QB. And I don't care if he was playing the 86 Bears or 76 Steelers, the 'best' QB in the game shoudl throw for more than 70 focking yards.

Rodgers played like a poosay

Agreed. Very disappointing....and disturbing, as an owner.

Green Bay has been operating with a lot of injuries. They are a scrappy well-rounded team with a lot of depth and good coaching, so they can generally overcome them. Hopes were high that post-bye would mean a healthier team with guys like Cobb and DaVante Adams nursing injuries (i.e., WR1 out for year, WR2 hampered since preseason, WR3 returning from ankle sprain). James Jones (WR4) has stepped in admirably but a Jordy-less banged up receiving corps, and something clearly not right with Lacy (ankle injury, now out of condition?) has made for weaker GB numbers all around. Rodgers can only do so much on his own.

One thing I personally underestimated was the noise factor in Denver, which seemed to really be a problem when combined with their aggressive pass rush. Not really sure where that Broncos offense came from, but I'm going to chalk it up to a home-coming post-bye surge and injuries to GB's corners. The Packers tend to find a way to win but there is some cause for concern here beyond just this Denver game.

• Like 1

MCCarthy is no good. He keeps proving it and never gets called on it. Just sat there and took it last night. Not one adjustment. I remember when Kaepernick ran all over the Pack in that playoff game and there wasn't one adjustment made. His offensive plan seems to be "Hey Aaron, just throw it around a bunch".

Will asking A Rodgers to pass it around seems like a good ideal .

I don't see how this isn't obvious.

Rodgers lost Nelson which was huge.

Davante Adams was out for a while with injuries.

Cobb was slowed down by a shoulder injury.

Lacy hurt his ankle and isn't running the ball well.

The O-line is beat up and have been shuffled around.

Rodgers will still have a good second half once he starts getting some weapons back.

MCCarthy is no good. He keeps proving it and never gets called on it. Just sat there and took it last night. Not one adjustment. I remember when Kaepernick ran all over the Pack in that playoff game and there wasn't one adjustment made. His offensive plan seems to be "Hey Aaron, just throw it around a bunch".

I think you have it backwards. McCarthy no longer calls the plays – which is where a lot of the issues lie. He is a great playcaller and very underrated as a coach.

I think you have it backwards. McCarthy no longer calls the plays – which is where a lot of the issues lie. He is a great playcaller and very underrated as a coach.

Whaaat?

I think the guy is an idiot who just happened to luck into coaching one of the best QBs in the game, which means his job will be secure for a long time.

Agreed. Very disappointing....and disturbing, as an owner.

One bad game against a really good defense, not time to cut bait yet!

Rodgers has an easier schedule coming up, let's see what he can do there, he plays Detroit twice in the next 5 weeks.

I think you have it backwards. McCarthy no longer calls the plays which is where a lot of the issues lie. He is a great playcaller and very underrated as a coach.

I said adjustment, not play calls. Adjustments usually happen at halftime. MCCarthy usually loses to good teams. But yeah, they go back to the soft NFC north soon and his record will look great at the end of the year.

I think you have it backwards. McCarthy no longer calls the plays which is where a lot of the issues lie. He is a great playcaller and very underrated as a coach.

MB is trolling.

I mocked eli and said Coughlin isn't great at this point in his career....so he is now obsessed in all threads about the Packers and fishes with ignorance about Mike McCarthy.

He is a troll who is clueless about the game.

Whaaat?

I think the guy is an idiot who just happened to luck into coaching one of the best QBs in the game, which means his job will be secure for a long time.

How then did hr make an Aaron Brooks offense look good?

BTW...some don't like to do it, but McCarthy is part of the reason for Rodgers success too.

MB is trolling.

I mocked eli and said Coughlin isn't great at this point in his career....so he is now obsessed in all threads about the Packers and fishes with ignorance about Mike McCarthy.

He is a troll who is clueless about the game.

I know Mike McCarthy is a choker.

Whaaat?

Cue Belichick... :coughcough:

I have zero packer co cerns. they got beat on the road by an undefeated team with the best defense. That can happen, lol.

Oh stop Brady needs him just as much

Yea, bcoz Brady could not win anywhere but NE... Check out Billy's HC record pre-Brady, it's rather pitiful.

Every year Mike McCarthy has been a coach he has had a HOF QB. He's been able to get to and win one super bowl. But he's dominated the NFC north, so there's that

Cue Belichick... :coughcough:

This is so freaking ridiculous it's laughable. I give a rat's ass about the Pats, and in fact I hate them but come on...

Beli was smart enough to recognize that Bledsoe sucked and stuck with a young unproven QB and some very timely FG kicks to win clutch games. Cheating aside, he then outcoached Martz in a superbowl where the Rams were favoured by like 14 points.

Time and time again Beli has outcoached other coaches, with the exception of his nemesis Coughlin. Beli has also been very good at dropping talent before they have a significant dropoff in their play and getting value for moving that talent before they decline.

You can't even compare the two at this point.

Every year Mike McCarthy has been a coach he has had a HOF QB. He's been able to get to and win one super bowl. But he's dominated the NFC north, so there's that

Not that huge of an accomplishment though.

Det has always been generally awful for a long time with the exception of a few good years here and there, DET were usually an easy win. Chicago have always foundered and have their constant QB issues. Min never seem to have a QB and always relied on AP. Is it really that surprising that Green Bay dominate that division?

Not that huge of an accomplishment though.

Det has always been generally awful for a long time with the exception of a few good years here and there, DET were usually an easy win. Chicago have always foundered and have their constant QB issues. Min never seem to have a QB and always relied on AP. Is it really that surprising that Green Bay dominate that division?

Division counts for all of 6 games.

And the North has been no worse than the AFC East.

Division counts for all of 6 games.

And the North has been no worse than the AFC East.

Yeah and not surprisingly New England has dominated that division year after year as well.

So on one hand people are saying McCarthy is great because GB have consistently won the division, then you're saying division games only count for 6 games...then you go off on an unrelated tangent about the AFC East? I'd also say the NFC north has historically been far worse than the AFC East in recent years.

If you check stats by division over the last decade, the NFC East has been the ranked the 6th division in football by total team wins. AFC East is third best. Granted, it's only a difference of 10 wins betweent the two divisions, which works out to 1 a year, so probably isn't that significant.

Not sure what you're driving at.

By Division (last 10 years)

AFC North — 334 wins (8.35 wins per team per season)

NFC East — 333 wins (8.33 wins per team)

AFC East — 328 wins (8.2 wins per team)

AFC South — 320 wins (8 wins per team)

NFC South — 318 wins (7.95 wins per team)

NFC North — 318 wins (7.95 wins per team)

AFC West — 307 wins (7.68 wins per team)

NFC West — 297 wins (7.43 wins per team)

Yeah and not surprisingly New England has dominated that division year after year as well.

So on one hand people are saying McCarthy is great because GB have consistently won the division, then you're saying division games only count for 6 games...then you go off on an unrelated tangent about the AFC East? I'd also say the NFC north has historically been far worse than the AFC East in recent years.

If you check stats by division over the last decade, the NFC East has been the ranked the 6th division in football by total team wins. AFC East is third best. Granted, it's only a difference of 10 wins betweent the two divisions, which works out to 1 a year, so probably isn't that significant.

Not sure what you're driving at.

By Division (last 10 years)

AFC North 334 wins (8.35 wins per team per season)

NFC East 333 wins (8.33 wins per team)

AFC East 328 wins (8.2 wins per team)

AFC South 320 wins (8 wins per team)

NFC South 318 wins (7.95 wins per team)

NFC North 318 wins (7.95 wins per team)

AFC West 307 wins (7.68 wins per team)

NFC West 297 wins (7.43 wins per team)

Nobody sad McCarthy was great for dominating the division.

Division was brought up by the troll who would rather try to get personal and fish for crap here than have a civil discussion about anything.

So what I'm drivinng at is worrying about division when its 6 games a year to judge a coach is lame.

Back to my original point. The offense and play calling decisions have looked very different this season from those of years past. The results have not been favorable for GB fantasy players. With the introduction of the pistol and use of more non-traditional formations you're seeing less play-action and less plays out of traditional shotgun formations – areas where Rodgers has historically thrived.

I've noticed that their normal uptempo game flow has also slowed down considerable since the headset was taken away from McCarthy. Last year in particular, prior to his injury Rogers was feasting on teams with a hybrid hurry up offense.

@Magnificent Bastard

To wit: No matter your opinion on McCarthy the coach, he and Roger's were clearly on the same page. Losing that chemistry, and more importantly the pace at which plays are called and run could be effecting how Rogers is running the offense and his management of the game.

Ugh...ok.

I guess I'll let you two duke it out.

Good day sirs.

Back to my original point. The offense and play calling decisions have looked very different this season from those of years past. The results have not been favorable for GB fantasy players. With the introduction of the pistol and use of more non-traditional formations you're seeing less play-action and less plays out of traditional shotgun formations – areas where Rodgers has historically thrived.

I've noticed that their normal uptempo game flow has also slowed down considerable since the headset was taken away from McCarthy. Last year in particular, prior to his injury Rogers was feasting on teams with a hybrid hurry up offense.

@Magnificent Bastard

To wit: No matter your opinion on McCarthy the coach, he and Roger's were clearly on the same page. Losing that chemistry, and more importantly the pace at which plays are called and run could be effecting how Rogers is running the offense and his management of the game.

There are a number of things going on here.

1. Jordy...this is a big part, but seems the easy answer and not close to the whole story. He has missed time before...and they managed just fine. This is different.

2. O line...the line being back...and having played together for a while was supposed to be much better than this. A lesser QB would have at least double the sacks than Rodgers has taken before. Bakhtiari has not improved and maybe even regressed. He is beat a lot...and when not letting guys through, he holds. Stout up the middle...and Bulaga when healthy is good...maybe just above average or just at average.

3. McCarthy was a very good playcaller despite some people's complaints. new play calling and ways of running meeting rooms with McCarthy being the overall coach of a head coach rather than being more involved with the offense. This seemed to be because of the problems they had with D and special teams miscues in the NFC title game. I really think he needs to go back to calling plays.

Play wise...I agree...more pistol...less play action...less roll outs and bootlegs.

And where some people don't agree...Rodgers has to step up. Whether it is talking with coaches and giving more of his opinion...great.

Also...I like that he is careful with the ball...after Favre that was needed. But he seems too careful at times. Hesitant to throw into coverage (and he used to throw those pinpoint accurate passes and trust his guys to make the play for the ball)...this leads to pump fakes, pressure, sacks and holding calls lately. Guys are not going to be wide open all the time. Give them a chance.

Where are the back shoulder throws? Screens? Seam routes thrown just past the linebackers helmet to a streaking player. He has done it before...but not as much lately. Does he just not trust the receivers right now?

I think they need to rely on the run game more than they do..it was going well to start the game against Denver. Next thing you know its rotate with Starks getting a run....then all pass. Then Cobb in the backfield and going pass heavy again.

Terrible to see them come out of the bye like that.

There are a number of things going on here.

1. Jordy...this is a big part, but seems the easy answer and not close to the whole story. He has missed time before...and they managed just fine. This is different.

2. O line...the line being back...and having played together for a while was supposed to be much better than this. A lesser QB would have at least double the sacks than Rodgers has taken before. Bakhtiari has not improved and maybe even regressed. He is beat a lot...and when not letting guys through, he holds. Stout up the middle...and Bulaga when healthy is good...maybe just above average or just at average.

3. McCarthy was a very good playcaller despite some people's complaints. new play calling and ways of running meeting rooms with McCarthy being the overall coach of a head coach rather than being more involved with the offense. This seemed to be because of the problems they had with D and special teams miscues in the NFC title game. I really think he needs to go back to calling plays.

Play wise...I agree...more pistol...less play action...less roll outs and bootlegs.

And where some people don't agree...Rodgers has to step up. Whether it is talking with coaches and giving more of his opinion...great.

Also...I like that he is careful with the ball...after Favre that was needed. But he seems too careful at times. Hesitant to throw into coverage (and he used to throw those pinpoint accurate passes and trust his guys to make the play for the ball)...this leads to pump fakes, pressure, sacks and holding calls lately. Guys are not going to be wide open all the time. Give them a chance.

Where are the back shoulder throws? Screens? Seam routes thrown just past the linebackers helmet to a streaking player. He has done it before...but not as much lately. Does he just not trust the receivers right now?

I think they need to rely on the run game more than they do..it was going well to start the game against Denver. Next thing you know its rotate with Starks getting a run....then all pass. Then Cobb in the backfield and going pass heavy again.

Terrible to see them come out of the bye like that.

Yep; I was happy to call it when GB was down 2 scores, simply because they were down. Score 14+ unanswered points on DEN? It will be done this year (if it hasn't already...too lazy to check). The big(est) knock on Rodgers (not that there are, you know, many) is, as you said, he's too conservative, and it shows up when his team is down 9 points or more (or maybe 9 points or more in the 4th). Fivethirtyeight talks about this (and Football Perspective I think?); Rodgers "doesn't throw enough interceptions," i.e., he doesn't take the higher risk plays that also have a higher potential reward. I don't watch, nor do I read someone who intelligently watches All-22 film, etc., so that's the extent of my understanding of the matter, but my assumption is the guy has the skill to benefit from riskier calls - the guy's pretty dang accurate, right? I mean, I'm not missing something that smart GB homers know here regarding his physical talents as a passer, am I?

Good news for him is that it doesn't seem to have trainwrecked his career. In the words of Clay Matthews, "I think we're okay here....I think we're doing alright." *

*Quote may be off; this was last year when he was asked about "dirty play," after he pointed out - accurately -- that he was among the least or the least penalized pass rusher in the league with regard to personal fouls, etc.

They have done very little compared to projected numbers. Was the deep threat Jordy provided that significant?

Fock ya it was

Yea, the O-Line play has been brutal relative to last year. Granted, let's give credit where credit's due – Denver's defense is badass, and that secondary has absolutely no problem locking down a player like James Jones or Adams. But it's inexcusable for Cobb to have only 27 yards on 6 receptions for a player of his caliber.

The strangest thing about the Denver game may have been the one play where Adams was insanely open 30 yards downfield and Rogers didn't even look in his direction. I just don't think Rogers is comfortable with the current route trees they're running. After watching some All22 tape, it appeared his primary reads were NEVER getting open against DEN, and yet he had a hard time working down the progression.

Speaking of which, while it's obvious Rodgers misses Jordy and the up-n-out route, they have to figure out how to get Cobb involved in routes favoring his skill set. He has historically been awesome on finding ways to get open during the scramble drill, but that facet has been nonexistent this season. It's a large reason his fantasy production has suffered.

They also really need to get the pick play going again. You watch a Charger game and see Keenan Allen (RIP) gaining chunks on the pick over and over again. Same for NE. I firmly believe they've torn too many pages out of the pre-injury Jordy playbook and need to get back to spreading the field and letting Cobb work where he's best – in space. That all said, I just don't think Cobb is a strong route runner or very good at breaking press coverage. This shortcoming has really been exposed with the loss of Jordy and his working on the outside versus the slot. Getting Montgomery back will be huge. They were cruising against SD before he went down.

• Like 1

People are overreacting, it was one game.....Bottom line, Green Bay was not prepared. Denver blitzed all night, something Green Bay hasn't seen in years. they'll adjust.

Also, They've had their sites on the Carolina game for weeks now. They know how week the NFC is, 12-4 probably gets you home field through out playoffs. Carolina is the MUST WIN GAME. They win that, and beat Detroit on road (later in season) they most likely win conference even if they lose all remaining road games......and they won't have to deal with crowd noise like they witnessed in Denver. No team in NFC will be able to go into Lambeau and win. Easy path to Super Bowl.

People are overreacting, it was one game.....Bottom line, Green Bay was not prepared. Denver blitzed all night, something Green Bay hasn't seen in years. they'll adjust.

Also, They've had their sites on the Carolina game for weeks now. They know how week the NFC is, 12-4 probably gets you home field through out playoffs. Carolina is the MUST WIN GAME. They win that, and beat Detroit on road (later in season) they most likely win conference even if they lose all remaining road games......and they won't have to deal with crowd noise like they witnessed in Denver. No team in NFC will be able to go into Lambeau and win. Easy path to Super Bowl.

Right. Nobody has gone into Lambeau and won before. They were 15-1 in 2011. How did that work out? And you don't mention Arizona. Pretty good team.

Uh, they still have MIN twice, who if you didn't notice are only a game back at 5-2.