Sign in to follow this  
seafoam1

Female Dr. Who

Did a thread on this. I think she did a great job.it's basically requirement that everybody choose their own favorite dr. And that's fine. That's great. But I really thought she did a great job. And I'm a guy who gets pissed off whenever they screw with the originals.

I also think since 2005, they've done a fantastic job with that whole series. And most of the supporting cast? Has been phenomenal on their own.

Me? I'm a Peter Capaldi guy. But if last week show is any indication, nobody has any reason to complain.

Signed, the sexist curmudgeon

Did a thread on this. I think she did a great job.it's basically requirement that everybody choose their own favorite dr. And that's fine. That's great. But I really thought she did a great job. And I'm a guy who gets pissed off whenever they screw with the originals.

I also think since 2005, they've done a fantastic job with that whole series. And most of the supporting cast? Has been phenomenal on their own.

Me? I'm a Peter Capaldi guy. But if last week show is any indication, nobody has any reason to complain.

Signed, the sexist curmudgeon

They got too caught up in the production value (not really sure how to say it actually) since they relaunched. I was pretty in on the fact that they would have a chick play the Dr. but this one was generic. The older shows emphasized dialog more often than not, these more current versions emphasize clothing trends and "action" shots. To each his own though.

When you list the top TV shows watched by men, none of them have a female lead. Science fiction shows have a predominantly male audience. There have been very few successful sci-fi / fantasy shows in the past with female leads (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Xena, Star Trek: Voyager) but all of them had very large supporting casts. Doctor Who will no longer be a male role model, so its losing that demographic, but it may struggle to attract women to replace them permanently.

It had great ratings for the first episode but the odds are great the ratings will drop significantly.

She did fine... we didn't know what to think. The boy liked they brought back the classic Who theme with a harder edge.

• Like 1

When you list the top TV shows watched by men, none of them have a female lead. Science fiction shows have a predominantly male audience. There have been very few successful sci-fi / fantasy shows in the past with female leads (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Xena, Star Trek: Voyager) but all of them had very large supporting casts. Doctor Who will no longer be a male role model, so its losing that demographic, but it may struggle to attract women to replace them permanently.

It had great ratings for the first episode but the odds are great the ratings will drop significantly.

I agree with a lot you have to say, but I was for the first time really wanting to watch the current Dr. Who because of them having a female doctor. It is the perfect role for a woman to step in and not miss a beat or change anything from a guy's perspective. After all, the Dr. is an alien anyway.

But this girl just seemed a little blah. Hopefully she will gain a little more uniqueness. Going way back to William Hartnell and Tom Baker, those were low budget films but the characters were so individual. I don't see that in these current ones.

Side note: It took me a long time to warm up to Voyager, but I think the writing won me over.

Not the first time, past iterations were female

Wrong...

Interesting, when I went to the Dr Who con thing a couple of years ago I thought I overheard that

I did a British girl that was so pretentious, she only watched Doctor Whom.

:lol:

Then she went to see Dr. WTF?

Interesting, when I went to the Dr Who con thing a couple of years ago I thought I overheard that

Nah. This is the first time.

Nah. This is the first time.

Well, Dr. Who can time travel, right? So there's no basis for saying which one is first. :banana:

soon to be followed by

Doctor: "Brenda! Remember? Brenda! I told you about her. She's the one with endometriosis! And her husband Steve she thinks he's cheating on her? God! You never listen to me! Are you even listening now?...."

Well, Dr. Who can time travel, right? So there's no basis for saying which one is first. :banana:

Incorrect. Dr. Who can time travel, but it is still sequential time occurrences in past or future. If Tom Baker were to meet this chick, he would have to travel into the future or she would have to travel into the past. And these Doctors are professional time travelers with a strong ethical code. They don't fvck with creating time anomalies.