Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

**Golf Talk** thread

I used to play the proforce gold/purple shaft 75S in my very old Hawkeye pro series driver.

Also have that shaft in the first mens 3 wood I ever bought, the Callaway Warbird which I used to tee off before I bought a full sized driver. When I bought the club it was a steel shaft and later on in high school I had the ProForce put into it. Still have the club today and take it to the range from time to time.

Been hitting my 2016M2 at the range when I get a chance and I'm really liking the ball flight. The fuji60S shaft seems less predicatble than the matrix ozik in my rocketballz but thats about what I expected. It has a little more whip to it. What has been a pleasant surprise is my ball flight is down.

I used to play the proforce gold/purple shaft 75S in my very old Hawkeye pro series driver.

Sounds like a classy combo you had there!

Sounds like a classy combo you had there!

Driver https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ppwAAOSwiBJZ~xO8/s-l225.jpg

3 Wood that now has the same shaft https://i.ebayimg.com/thumbs/images/g/K9YAAOSw7PJZZqes/s-l225.jpg

I also played the old ProForce Gold 65 a bunch which I think is 2.9* 78g with 2.8* is pretty stout. Might as well throw a DG wood shaft im there!

The Proforce people are still sucking Jose Maria Olazabal's cack for what he did for that shaft line... His '99 Masters victory put that technology and shaft on the map - it was an instant "must have".

Maybe I'll load up some vids I've taken of my swing and throw it on youtube and then peenie it after you guys pick apart my swing (I would be looking for advice)

Maybe I'll load up some vids I've taken of my swing and throw it on youtube and then peenie it after you guys pick apart my swing (I would be looking for advice)

I had a video taken of mine once, worst thing I ever did.. I was messed up for 3 weeks - trying to capture a "technically perfect" swing is a good way to kill a game, and confidence.

If I can't fee what I'm doing I'll have somebody watch me - advise based on my motion, not what a computer simulation says it should be.

I had a video taken of mine once, worst thing I ever did.. I was messed up for 3 weeks - trying to capture a "technically perfect" swing is a good way to kill a game, and confidence.

If I can't fee what I'm doing I'll have somebody watch me - advise based on my motion, not what a computer simulation says it should be.

Camera just hurts you sometimes. If I ever really get analyzed, Im going 3D witb body sensors.

its literally just me using my phone, propped up on my golf bag at the range so I can visually check for certain flaws I think I feel but am not 100% sure.

its not like im having someone else take video to do in depth swing analysis or trying to get a technically perfect swing

the PING G400 woods/hybrid.....anyone try these?

i'm pondering getting a new 5 wood or venturing into the world of hybrids after giving up on them as soon as I first tried them years ago.

I used to be able to hit my 3 Iron some what straight. It has become a liability distance.

the PING G400 woods/hybrid.....anyone try these?

I have the G model driver.......... They are basically the same club as the new 400... In fact, I like the G more than the 400 - it's aesthetically better looking, cheaper and I noticed no difference in performance.

I'm in Naples today; played Treviso Bay. Shot a 76; played very solid other than a 3 hole cup check between 11-13, where I went 4 over on those three. Nice course, but the greens are a really rough grained grass that isn't my favorite. I prefer bentgrass stimp 11+, and this wasn't it. Was driving the ball pretty damned well, and GIR on 13 of 18.

Great day. 80+˚; gorgeous day.

Played in a 2 man superball tournament last weekend. Me and my partner who plays about like myself shot 71 on Saturday. It was flighted so that had us leading the second flight. Sunday was a crazy round. 7 birdies but 3 bogeys, 68. We won our flight.

The A flight shot 63-63. Pretty sporty for 2 man.

Team tournaments are so fun. :thumbsup:

I have the G model driver.......... They are basically the same club as the new 400... In fact, I like the G more than the 400 - it's aesthetically better looking, cheaper and I noticed no difference in performance.

That is good to hear. My buddy has a G driver and it felt good. Even though I am looking at a 5 wood/hybrid.

I may try a few this weekend. What hybrids have you hit and liked?

What hybrids have you hit and liked?

The 2 things I am least reluctant to change once I find something that works: 3-woods and hybrids.

Adams Idea A12 - I've been playing these hybrids for about 5 years now, carry the 19* 3 and the 21* 4... the 4 I hit 200, the 3 I carry 215..... Absolutely love them...... This particular hybrid was one of the first to incorporate the 'velocity slot' technology - way ahead of the curve.... These clubs are so versatile, I can hit knock down punches with them into the wind - I've no plans to change next year.

Anyone else play Golf Clash on your phone/device? I may be late to the game, but I cant see myself being productive at least til New Years!

That is good to hear. My buddy has a G driver and it felt good. Even though I am looking at a 5 wood/hybrid.

I may try a few this weekend. What hybrids have you hit and liked?

ping woods and hybrids are great clubs

Just got back from Florida a couple of hours ago. Last round played - to finish our 16 man tourney - was at a place 20 minutes from RSW; called 'Old Corkscrew'.

Holy sheet. Toughest course I've played in a long while - and it didn't help that it was 46˚@ tee time (8:40), and got pretty darned windy. Shot 87; played 7 point with guys that just loved to crack and recrack for stupid reasons, but such was the structure of the tourney.

Won $700. :banana:

'Old Corkscrew'.

Holy sheet. Toughest course I've played in a long while

Amen. I had a timeshare at the Hyatt on the Raptor Bay course in Bonita Springs. Old Corkscrew is a biotch but I really like the course.

• Like 1

Amen. I had a timeshare at the Hyatt on the Raptor Bay course in Bonita Springs. Old Corkscrew is a biotch but I really like the course.

I did too, but I was underdressed (and now I have the head cold that I deserve as a result). Ranger said that they had the greens longer, and it showed: I left nearly every long putt I had 4-5 short. Beautiful course though; must have Nicklaus connections with all the Jack stuff in the pro shop.

I did too, but I was underdressed (and now I have the head cold that I deserve as a result). Ranger said that they had the greens longer, and it showed: I left nearly every long putt I had 4-5 short. Beautiful course though; must have Nicklaus connections with all the Jack stuff in the pro shop.

It was designed by Jack.

Ah. Well, Jack is the Debil. :lol:

He obviously wasn't getting any when he designed that course. Gotta wonder if "Old Corkscrew" is some reference to his wife.

• Like 1

He obviously wasn't getting any when he designed that course. Gotta wonder if "Old Corkscrew" is some reference to his wife.

:first:

Jack designed more challenging courses to test better players.

Arnold preferred to be the nice guy and designed user friendly tracks.

Both goats with different golf course architecture theories.

Saw on the golf channel that they butted heads on a design collaboration for the same reasons.

1st day of Winter 2morow, going to be 75* and sunny - who else has 27 lined up? :banana:

Actually been in the mid 40s to low 50s here. If it wasn't for the melting snow and soggy conditions I'd be out there. Not worth it though. I'm in hibernation mode until spring

1st day of Winter 2morow, going to be 75* and sunny - who else has 27 lined up? :banana:

Finally took my clubs out of my trunk a couple weeks ago. Will just get around to giving them one last clean before putting them up.

Last year we played on Christmas Eve. I had held out hope, but not a chance. Last I golfed was the weekend after Thanksgiving.

70 here in Atlanta. Gonna play 18 minimum.

Pulled the trigger and ordered Mizuno S18 wedges today (gap, sand, lob) to replace my Mizuno T11s. Ordered Gap in 49 loft/6 bounce, Sand in 55 loft/13 bounce, Lob in 59 loft/5 bounce.

http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/golf-clubs/s-series/s18-wedges/

Daddy like :wub:

70 here in Atlanta. Gonna play 18 minimum.

Pulled the trigger and ordered Mizuno S18 wedges today (gap, sand, lob) to replace my Mizuno T11s. Ordered Gap in 49 loft/6 bounce, Sand in 55 loft/13 bounce, Lob in 59 loft/5 bounce.

http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/golf-clubs/s-series/s18-wedges/

Daddy like :wub:

Here is a question for you guys. How do you go about selecting bounce for your wedges? I see you have 2 low bounces sandwiched around a 13 degree bounce. I understand you can produce more shots with more options, but for my 9 handicap, I am not really getting too cute. I carry similar bounces on all. 52-8* bounce.

55-10* bounce. 58-8* bounce. And I have carried 8 degree in all 3 before.

I have tried 12 degree bounce in a variety of lofts and I just don't hit high bounce wedges as consistent.

Here is a question for you guys. How do you go about selecting bounce for your wedges? I see you have 2 low bounces sandwiched around a 13 degree bounce. I understand you can produce more shots with more options, but for my 9 handicap, I am not really getting too cute. I carry similar bounces on all. 52-8* bounce.

55-10* bounce. 58-8* bounce. And I have carried 8 degree in all 3 before.

I have tried 12 degree bounce in a variety of lofts and I just don't hit high bounce wedges as consistent.

I have the exact same problem. Do you usually take a divot, or do you sweep? I'm much more of a sweep player; I hit the ball high and my shaft angle is more vertical than it probably should be (and I'm 6'-4", so it's hard for me to stoop down and change it to forward).

It's a confusing topic for me, and I don't mess around with enough wedges with various bounce numbers to be able to know for sure what's best for me.

I do know that I have a gap problem in my wedges: I have a Titleist 60˚ that I think has a 7˚ bounce angle, and I sometimes hit it it really well and sometimes hit it really sh*tty. From there, my next club is a Ping S, and I'm not sure the loft or bounce of that one, though it has a pretty big heel with a good amount of bounce. Then, I have the A gap and PW wedges which are part of the set of Taylormade RocketBladez I've used for the past 3 seasons.

I'm thinking I need to ditch the 60 at least and go to a 58˚, but I'm absolutely unsure what bounce I should get with it. :unsure:

This is the part of my game stopping me from being a mid to low single digit player.

I seemingly solved my early extension issue by somewhat reversing the thought process. In short, instead of worrying about my hips, pelvis, etc, I instead just made sure to keep my chest down. I kept visualizing the way DJ seemingly stays down almost all the way through his follow through. I was sweet spotting the driver with relaxed ease.

I am very happy with my game right now. A continuation of the above and for the first time in years Im not trying to get more out of my swing. Just gotta keep at it.

Played Tour 18 on Sunday. 18 of the most famous holes in the USA, therefore its obviously about as tough as it gets. So I only shot an 88, but it only takes minor misses to blow up a hole out there.

But 11 of 14 fairways hit, and I am hitting it about 275. Struck the irons very well, but some slight misses lead to big numbers......that said, I had to birdies. Sawgrass #17 I hit a wedge to 4 feet, and Augusta #13 I sank about a 20 footer.

Fun stuff.

I am very happy with my game right now. A continuation of the above and for the first time in years Im not trying to get more out of my swing. Just gotta keep at it.

Played Tour 18 on Sunday. 18 of the most famous holes in the USA, therefore its obviously about as tough as it gets. So I only shot an 88, but it only takes minor misses to blow up a hole out there.

But 11 of 14 fairways hit, and I am hitting it about 275. Struck the irons very well, but some slight misses lead to big numbers......that said, I had to birdies. Sawgrass #17 I hit a wedge to 4 feet, and Augusta #13 I sank about a 20 footer.

Fun stuff.

Tour 18 in Flower Mound? Played a charity scramble there.

IRT bounce, I think the sand wedge you want the higher bounce because that's your primary means of getting out of the bunkers. I also use the higher bounce one when I'm chipping back into the grain near the green so the leading edge doesn't grab and I stub the shot.

As far as the lob wedge, the pro said the other 59 deg option with 9 deg of bounce was (In his opinion) too much for a lob wedge. The Gap wedge had only 1 bounce option in 49 deg.