Sign in to follow this  
Patriotsfatboy1

Religious fundamentalists... Can you explain this?

WTF is wrong with some people?

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/08/20/13377164-oklahoma-high-school-valedictorian-denied-diploma-for-using-hell-in-speech?lite

Oklahoma high school valedictorian denied diploma for using 'hell' in speech

By NBC News staff

PRAGUE, Okla. – An Oklahoma high school valedictorian who was denied her diploma because she used the world “hell” in her commencement speech doesn’t plan to apologize for her choice of words, her father says.

David Nootbaar said he is furious that Prague High School is withholding his daughter Kaitlin's diploma because of her use of the word during the graduation speech in May. “She has worked so hard to stay at the top of her class and this is not right,” he said. “She earned that diploma. In four years she has never made a B. She got straight A’s and had a 4.0 the whole way through."

School officials declined to comment. "This matter is confidential and we cannot publicly say anything about it," Prague schools Superintendent Rick Martin said in a statement to KFOR-TV in Oklahoma City.

David Nootbaar said his daughter was inspired by the movie “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse" when she wrote the speech. “Her quote was, ‘When she first started school she wanted to be a nurse, then a veterinarian and now that she was getting closer to graduation, people would ask her, what do you want to do and she said ‘How the hell do I know? I’ve changed my mind so many times,’” he said.

He said in the written script she gave to the school she wrote “heck,” but in the moment she said “hell” instead.

During the ceremony, Nootbaar said the audience laughed and she finished her speech to warm applause. She didn’t know there was a problem, he said.

But trouble surfaced when she went to school to pick up her graduation certificate last week, her father said.

“We went to the office and asked for the diploma and the principal said ‘Your diploma is right here but you’re not getting it. Close the door we have a problem,'" Nootbaar said.

He said the principal told Kaitlin she would have to write an apology letter before he would release the diploma.

Kaitlin doesn’t plan on writing an apology letter because she doesn’t feel she did anything wrong, her father said. He said her family stands behind her decision.

Kaitlin starts classes at Southwestern Oklahoma State University in a few days on a full scholarship.

I think that she needs some special comforting. :banana:

inspired by the movie “The Twilight Saga: Eclipse"

What, she couldn't find a quote from "Jackass"? I'd have phayled her too. :thumbsdown:

WTF do Religious fundamentalists have to do with this story?

Sounds like idiot public school hacks to me.

Yes, I am sure that "hell" has no religious connotation at all. :rolleyes:

Yes, I am sure that "hell" has no religious connotation at all. :rolleyes:

The question stands. WTF does this have to do with religious fundamentalists? There is no mention of anything related to anyone's religion in the article.

The question stands. WTF does this have to do with religious fundamentalists? There is no mention of anything related to anyone's religion in the article.

The Superintendent is very active in his Church. Look it up , Sport. :lol:

The Superintendent is very active in his Church. Look it up , Sport. :lol:

Not doing your research for ya, Skippy. :thumbsup:

Also, ratsass if he is involved in a church. He took this action as a public school employee, not some member of a church.

Nice try, Slapnutz.

Not doing your research for ya, Skippy. :thumbsup:

Also, ratsass if he is involved in a church. He took this action as a public school employee, not some member of a church.

Nice try, Slapnutz.

Thanks for the quote that I can use every time you ask for a link.

Under what circumstances in your mind does a "public school employee" withhold a diploma from the valedictorian for saying "hell"?

Under what circumstances in your mind does a "public school employee" withhold a diploma from the valedictorian for saying "hell"?

He is an idiot.

Thanks for the quote that I can use every time you ask for a link.

Asking someone for a link to back up a claim isn't the same as making a claim and then asking someone else for a link to back up the claim you just made, Slapnuts. :thumbsup:

Sounds like the easiest lawsuit in history... Unreasonably witholding the diploma causes very concrete harm towards her future.

Sue the school, and the principal personally... if he's making a unilateral decision, he can stand the unilateral punishment.

As long as her transcript says she's graduated, I'd tell them to fock off and just go off to school. Who cares about a HS diploma

here's the only way I can see the school having any defense at all:

if they sent a list or note to all speakers and specifically asked that NO profanity be used and if profanity is used, diplomas will be held.

If the speaker received a letter or instruction like that but still went ahead and used profanity, fock her.

Otherwise, I can't see any defense for the school - and I suppose there can be debate over how "profane" hell is anyway... was there a list of disallowed words?

Asking someone for a link to back up a claim isn't the same as making a claim and then asking someone else for a link to back up the claim you just made, Slapnuts. :thumbsup:

Except you change the rules as you go along, Corky.

At my high school, the girls wore white caps and gowns, and the guys black. The girls were supposed to wear whit shoes and a dress and the guys black pants and shoes. You ordered your own cap and gown.

The year before I graduated, one chick, who was a very dykey lesbian, ordered a black cap and gown, and arrived at graduation wearing it, and black pants and shoes. The school gave her her diploma, but refused to let her walk.

This sparked weeks of editorials and controversy over nothing.

here's the only way I can see the school having any defense at all:

if they sent a list or note to all speakers and specifically asked that NO profanity be used and if profanity is used, diplomas will be held.

If the speaker received a letter or instruction like that but still went ahead and used profanity, fock her.

Otherwise, I can't see any defense for the school - and I suppose there can be debate over how "profane" hell is anyway... was there a list of disallowed words?

It didn't make George Carlin's list.

Hopefully these tools get fired. She shouldn't accept the diploma until both the principal and superintendent write her an apology.