Sign in to follow this  
Hardcore troubadour

Betsy DeVoss, Of Course She Did

She put a guy who was the CEO of a student loan company in charge of student loans. Come on man.

I may be in the minority on this one, but I actually think having someone like this is good.

Johnson is being labeled as a bad person because he worked for a "for profit" student loan company. Every student loan company is "for profit" though isn't it?

The bigger issue with student loans is the exorbitant cost of tuition/books. Colleges are turning into all-inclusive resorts rather than places of learning, and the students are paying the tab for it.

During my time in school, a lavish rec center was being built. Indoor track, massive gym, the whole works. It didn't open until the semester after I graduated. Only current enrolled students could use it, despite increased tuition during my tenure that undoubtedly was going towards it's construction.

Address the criminal activities of these schools, and student loan debt will fix itself

You're completely missing something geraldi. It's really not as much the folks who go to a full-on legitimate University that are the subject of predatory loans. Where they really screw people over our poor people who end up going to some b******* pseudo Technical College that is just them business of working with the loan companies to screw the poor over. That's why they crack down so hard on for profit colleges and universities. And why so many have rebranded themselves. These loan companies are incredibly predatory and prey on the weak and the poor and the uneducated. It is about as close to Usery as you can get.

It's called making decisions and living with the consequences.

If you go to a seedy car dealership, are you expecting the same product to be sold as the reputable one?

Come on man. Anyone that goes to Trump University, or the Corinthean colleges should have done some proper research about what they were investing that much money into.

At some point, responsibility falls on the student and their family to make the right decision.

I have family members that were screwed by these predatory colleges and are burneded by debt. I have little sympathy for them.

You're completely missing something geraldi. It's really not as much the folks who go to a full-on legitimate University that are the subject of predatory loans. Where they really screw people over our poor people who end up going to some b******* pseudo Technical College that is just them business of working with the loan companies to screw the poor over. That's why they crack down so hard on for profit colleges and universities. And why so many have rebranded themselves. These loan companies are incredibly predatory and prey on the weak and the poor and the uneducated. It is about as close to Usery as you can get.

I used to teach at one of those bull crap for profit colleges. It was a straight up scam to defraud the government.

A significant portion of the students were illiterate. I mean can't read on an 8th grade level. The entrance exam was the wonderlick for focks sake.

Another significant portion had criminal records which would prohibit them from ever working in their field of study.

Most were only enrolled to satisfy their probation officer.

And if you ever failed anyone, you could expect to be reviewed.

I bet less than 10% of those very high tuition loans will ever be repaid.

Once I assigned an assignment where the students had to write about a lawsuit currently going on and their opinion. Half of them wrote about class action lawsuit and Kentucky Attorney Generals office actions against the school for fraud.

• Like 1

It's called making decisions and living with the consequences.

If you go to a seedy car dealership, are you expecting the same product to be sold as the reputable one?

Come on man. Anyone that goes to Trump University, or the Corinthean colleges should have done some proper research about what they were investing that much money into.

At some point, responsibility falls on the student and their family to make the right decision.

I have family members that were screwed by these predatory colleges and are burneded by debt. I have little sympathy for them.

What about the taxpayer that ends up paying it off? Feel sympathy for them?

What about the taxpayer that ends up paying it off? Feel sympathy for them?

I reiterate:

If an 18-year old is going to make a decision to spend $13,000 on an education...

Start your college experience by:

Doing. Some. Focking. Research.

I reiterate:

If an 18-year old is going to make a decision to spend $13,000 on an education...

Start your college experience by:

Doing. Some. Focking. Research.

I reitierate...

Before the focking government allows a bank to hand over a taxpayer backed blank check, maybe they should make sure it's a decent loan first.

Meaning shut a lot of these schools down and severely lower the amount others are allowed to charge.

If the government properly watched over our money, none of this would exist. Without the bottomless piggy bank, these schools would die overnight, and college would go back to being colleges instead of club med.

Been a rough week for this poor little lady. Somebody I'm tired of her 40-foot yacht in Ohio.

Wait, what? Ohio?

That is literally the definition of found money when you go to the trouble of having a 40-foot yacht and you Moore it in - Ohio.

She's probably got a Renoir hanging in a double-wide in Indiana.

But, don't cry for her Argentina. Her family has nine more yachts. Yes, nothing says I'm down with the people like owning your own luxury Navy.

Wow. That just screams Donald Trump appointee all over the place doesn't it?

• Like 1

Tried a person who thinks out of the box. Shes nutz...but the education system we have isnt producing enough people who can enter the labor force.

Not one of trumps best choices...thumbs down

She should take a michael moore approach and dress like a schlub.

I used to teach at one of those bull crap for profit colleges. It was a straight up scam to defraud the government.

A significant portion of the students were illiterate. I mean can't read on an 8th grade level. The entrance exam was the wonderlick for focks sake.

Another significant portion had criminal records which would prohibit them from ever working in their field of study.

Most were only enrolled to satisfy their probation officer.

And if you ever failed anyone, you could expect to be reviewed.

I bet less than 10% of those very high tuition loans will ever be repaid.

Once I assigned an assignment where the students had to write about a lawsuit currently going on and their opinion. Half of them wrote about class action lawsuit and Kentucky Attorney Generals office actions against the school for fraud.

Yet you took a pay check from such a terrible place that was a scam and defrauding the government. Says a lot about you.

40 feet is pretty small. We had a 32 footer on a lake in Tennessee as a kid.

Devos stinks, but I thought this also. Would you even call a 40 ft boat a yacht?

Devos stinks, but I thought this also. Would you even call a 40 ft boat a yacht?

I dunno...to make it so it sounds more shocking?

I reitierate...

Before the focking government allows a bank to hand over a taxpayer backed blank check, maybe they should make sure it's a decent loan first.

Meaning shut a lot of these schools down and severely lower the amount others are allowed to charge.

If the government properly watched over our money, none of this would exist. Without the bottomless piggy bank, these schools would die overnight, and college would go back to being colleges instead of club med.

A former CEO of a student loan company would have good insight toward this mission.

I have no idea what the rationale for this choice was (hearing it hear) but if that is a part of it, it could be good.

If you limited the amount of money people could borrow, tuition costs would go down.

If you limited the amount of money people could borrow, tuition costs would go down.

I'd they stopped paying over a 1000 administrators at state colleges 200k plus a year, tuition may go down ?

I'd they stopped paying over a 1000 administrators at state colleges 200k plus a year, tuition may go down ?

That too. The way to stem that cost is limit the amount of money people can borrow. It goes hand in hand. It's no different than the housing scam that went on, except in that case there was actually something to show for it, not a gender studies degree.

That too. The way to stem that cost is limit the amount of money people can borrow. It goes hand in hand. It's no different than the housing scam that went on, except in that case there was actually something to show for it, not a gender studies degree.

http://m.wbjournal.com/article/20170309/NEWS01/170309945/highest-paid-state-employees-all-work-for-umass

Amazingly the crybabies of college tuition costs always avoid the administrative salary issue

http://m.wbjournal.com/article/20170309/NEWS01/170309945/highest-paid-state-employees-all-work-for-umass

Amazingly the crybabies of college tuition costs always avoid the administrative salary issue

It's ridiculous. Its just a government subsidy, we get to pay for.

40 feet is pretty small. We had a 32 footer on a lake in Tennessee as a kid.

Okay, it's actually 163 ft. It's a 40 million dollar yacht.

1 of a collection of 10 boats.

Okay, it's actually 163 ft. It's a 40 million dollar yacht.

1 of a collection of 10 boats.

You were only off by 123ft. No biggie.