Sign in to follow this  
Saint Elistan

The Avengers

Basically, I think that in 20 years, people will be saying the same thing -- how movies in the 2010s were awesome and how nobody makes them like that anymore, etc.

:dunno:

No way. What movies made in this decade will be considered classics? None. They are all just a bunch of cut and paste shlock, and then the 12 sequals to same.

No way. What movies made in this decade will be considered classics? None. They are all just a bunch of cut and paste shlock, and then the 12 sequals to same.

70's movies can be painfully boring. I recently watched Deer Hunter and was blown away that people thought that movie was "great". :thumbsdown:

70's movies can be painfully boring. I recently watched Deer Hunter and was blown away that people thought that movie was "great". :thumbsdown:

I'm certainly not trying to argue that EVERYTHING made in any decade was great. In fact, most of the movies made in any time are crap. But currently, hollywood isn't even trying to make anything good. Its all just the lowest common denominator action/slasher/vampire/harry potter crap.

People used to have much longer attention spans. That was a good thing.

Bingo. Our society has the depth of a teacup and the attention span of a gnat in a meth lab.

Just got into a conversation with a friend about this.

I was telling him how Animal House was such an awesome movie. He watched it for the first time and came back to me with "Eh...it was funny, but I prefer Old School or even Van Wilder".

Shows you that these days, people are just expecting action or comedy in every single scene or the movie is boring.

There was also a lot of drugs back then.......

Saw it yesterday in IMAX 3D. Great flick...funny, too. Really did a good job of representing all the characters in a good way. Can't wait until my kids are old enough to go to these types of flicks with me. Downey nails the one-liners with the best of them, but didn't get the biggest laugh of the movie. That was reserved for another Avenger.

I agree, though, that you don't need to see it in 3D. But, for me and movies bigger is always better so it came with the IMAX package.

Saw it yesterday in IMAX 3D. Great flick...funny, too. Really did a good job of representing all the characters in a good way. Can't wait until my kids are old enough to go to these types of flicks with me. Downey nails the ole-liners with the best of them, but didn't get the biggest laugh of the movie. That was reserved for another Avenger.

I agree, though, that you don't need to see it in 3D. But, for me and movies bigger is always better so it came with the IMAX package.

Taking my kids tonight...wife has some dumb party of some sort to host...got to leave the house and the boy wants to see it.

I'm certainly not trying to argue that EVERYTHING made in any decade was great. In fact, most of the movies made in any time are crap. But currently, hollywood isn't even trying to make anything good. Its all just the lowest common denominator action/slasher/vampire/harry potter crap.

This is the same lame ass arguement people here have about music lately when there are plenty of excellent movies.

The Last King of Scotland

The Kite Runner

Crash

The King's Speech

Juno

Little Miss Sunshine

There Will Be Blood

City of God

Back to the op...Enjoyed the Avengers, not as much as I thought I might though.

Robert Downey Jr. ( hard to believe 10 years ago everyone said his career was over ) stole it like basically everyone knew he would as he was the biggest star of the lot and the only A lister there unless you count SJackson as an Alister but I think his time is past there -- but his Iron Man character out of suit is maybe the best I have ever seen in a superhero flick. Saw it in Imax with my 9 year old son -- don't reccomend Imax - waste of the extra 5 bucks -- see it in regular if you can - same thing. Love seeing Hulk beat the hell out of that one guy - best scene in movie IMO..

looking forward to Batman III but wish they got someone other than Bale

For a comic book movie it was pretty good. The bad guy and his army came across as a little "power rangerous" to me. Longer than I thought it would be, too. My 15 year old son liked it.