Sign in to follow this  
KSB2424

**The Official 2012 Carolina Panthers Offseason Thread**

Carolina Panthers

The additions of Ron Rivera, Cam Newton, and Shocky/Olsen has revitalized Panther fans. The offense ranked 7th in the NFL. Key injuries on Defense (John Beson and Thomas Davis) was a factor in placing 27th ranked Defense in the league. That has to be improved upon, but the future is bright and this team is on the cusp. It's Playoffs or Bust in 2012.

Position Strengths: Head Coach, QB, RB, TE

Team Needs: WR, DT, O-Line, Secondary

Free Agent Targets: DE Mario Williams, CB Carlos Rodgers, WR Laurent Robinson

2012 Draft Targets (Pick 9): WR Justin Blackmon OSU, CB Morris Claiborne LSU, DT Michael Brockers LSU

I just can't get excited about this team for some reason. :sleep:

However, if they can get a true stud WR to go with Smith, and completely revamp their defense, then they might stand a chance of overcoming Cams turnovers next season.

Great to see somebody here that's NOT a fan of the Giants, Packers, Patriots, Eagles, Steelers :thumbsup:

Yes your team is on the rise, and Cam is soon going to be unstoppable,....if i were to play FFB again, he'd be my QB.

Draft Week Update!@#!

Signed/Traded for:

HB Mike Tolbert (SD)

LB Kenny Onatolu (MIN)

G Mike Pollack (IND)

S Haruki Nakamura (BAL)

S Reggie Smith (SF)

Re-Signed

C Jeff Hangartner

QB Derek Anderson

WR Steve Smith

Lost or Cut:

WR Legadu Naane

LB Dan Conner

A bunch of others not material

Looks like Carolina is very much willing to trade down from the 9 pick. They can get a much needed Defensive Tackle in the middle to late first round just as easily. One of Cox, Brockers, Still, or Poe will be there later in Round 1 for certain. It would be great to trade down, pick up extra picks and still get one of these guys.

I think they jump on Claiborne or Blackman if either drop (unlikely).

Don't be super suprised if Carolina reaches for either WR Floyd, LB Luke Kuechley or CB Gillmore.

Love the Kuechley pick at 9. I would've been happy with either Cox or Gillmore too, but with so many recent injuries at linebacker for the Panthers getting a tackle machine like Kuechley to solidify that position was a good get. Plus he's a high character guy so thats always a plus.

Hopefully DT's Devon Still or Jerel Worthy will be there at pick 40 for the Panthers tonight. Either them or maybe WR Stephen Hill.

As a Cam Newton owner in two league (dynasty league & keeper/auction) I'm liking Car.'s draft so far.

i have to say that although there is much "splash" appeal to this draft, i think they picked up some solid players that could help build their core.

My only concern is that there is actually a potential that none of the picks are starters this year. In the unlikely event TDavis can come back (and stay healthy) from an unprecedented 3rd ACL surgery, and if Beason stays healthy, what are they going to do with Kuechly? And their 2nd round pick could be a very good G for years to come - but he might not be polished enough to start this year.

Again, long term value i think was there. I'm just not certain CAR did a whole lot so far this offseason to improve their team for THIS year - other than hopefully getting guys back from injury.

i have to say that although there is much "splash" appeal to this draft, i think they picked up some solid players that could help build their core.

My only concern is that there is actually a potential that none of the picks are starters this year. In the unlikely event TDavis can come back (and stay healthy) from an unprecedented 3rd ACL surgery, and if Beason stays healthy, what are they going to do with Kuechly? And their 2nd round pick could be a very good G for years to come - but he might not be polished enough to start this year.

Again, long term value i think was there. I'm just not certain CAR did a whole lot so far this offseason to improve their team for THIS year - other than hopefully getting guys back from injury.

I like the draft as well. Very solid from top to bottom. My only netagive was that they did not draft a DT which was a much needed hole in the defense. There were several like Worthy and Still that kept slipping in the second round and it would've been nice to see them jump in somehow and grab those guys.

Regarding Kuechly, he's going to play from day one. Even if Beson and Davis are fully heatlhy (big question marks anyway). I think they put Kuechly in the middle and move Beson to OLB. Along with James Anderson rotating in and out. If healthy those could make the best linebacking core in the league.

I also like the Offensive lineman they drafted in the second round. Don't know much about him but he looks like a beast and all the scouts I read online say it was a great pick and that Baltimore was eyeing him right after the Panthers.

Good draft, filled a bunch of holes and added depth, but the glaring void/need at D-Tackle is still there. They have to address that at somepoint. Just look at the Giants last year. A great D-Line is a huge asset, and its a weakness for this team. Thats not good.