Sign in to follow this  
Cruzer

Does anyone not know how to swim?

Outside of a mecical condition, or perhaps missing a limb - how does a grown adult these days not know how to swim? :dunno:

Planning a weekend to the lake here soon, friend of a friend says they won't go on the boat bcoz they can't swim. :huh:

You should axe peenie

I came here to post that EXACT same thing.

You be racist.

We have had both our boys in swim classes/lessons since they were about 6 months old and we continue to send them. When my oldest (now 3, then 2) was at the swim club last summer the other parents were amazed at how adept and comfortable he was in the pool. I was skeptical at starting them so early, but the wife was pretty convincing. Great choice in hindsight. :thumbsup:

You should axe peenie

It's a buoyancy thing.

In college one of my best friends (a kid from Southie) couldn't swim. Yet somehow in HS he was a lifeguard. At a Massachusetts beach, not just a pool. When I asked him what would happen if he actually had to save someone who was drowning, he said there were always other lifeguards around. :mellow:

I've mentioned this guy before; after graduation he went on to work on nuclear reactor safety in eastern Europe. I was always a little worried about that. :unsure:

We have had both our boys in swim classes/lessons since they were about 6 months old and we continue to send them. When my oldest (now 3, then 2) was at the swim club last summer the other parents were amazed at how adept and comfortable he was in the pool. I was skeptical at starting them so early, but the wife was pretty convincing. Great choice in hindsight. :thumbsup:

That's the way to do it. I grew up on the Mississippi, so my parents had me in swim lessons at 1. It was inevitable that i would be swimming in the river. And swimming in current is a whole different ballgame than a lake/pool. You need a strong core to avoid being washed away.

I've heard that just about every mammal in the world can swim naturally... except goats and some breads of bulldogs. Not sure about the goats, but the bulldog thing is from a veterinarian. Now I just gotta find a goat and have a little test.

I also heard the reason people don't swim naturally is because most animals walk and swim in the same manner - dog paddle. For people walking and swimming are different motions.

:huh:

My wife can't swim. She was allowed to damn near drown as a child, and she's been terrified of the water ever since.

She's agreed to let me teach her, but we don't have a pool, and I think that lesson will need to be in a private setting, one in case of screaming, two, well, pool secks is fun.

Whitney Houston

:thumbsup:

I live in Hawaii and swim very poorly. Took adult lessons a couple times, but still have troubles with it. A big part of it is discomfort with putting my face in the water - when my dad attempted to teach me, he dunked me repeatedly to "learn how to breathe". So I kinda have PTSD when I get that sensation as an adult.

Final Jeopardy Question

Answer: Natalie Wood?

Question: What kind of Wood does not float.

Question: What kind of Wood does not float.

:mad:

I live in Hawaii and swim very poorly. Took adult lessons a couple times, but still have troubles with it. A big part of it is discomfort with putting my face in the water - when my dad attempted to teach me, he dunked me repeatedly to "learn how to breathe". So I kinda have PTSD when I get that sensation as an adult.

That wasn't a snorkel he was giving you either.

That wasn't a snorkel he was giving you either.

:pointstosky:

Barely. I got a "D" in High School. I use to be able to swim one lap to the other side of the pool at which point I'm out of breath and need ten minutes to recover. Having not swum in many years, I wonder if I could still do even that.