Sign in to follow this  
phillybear

***Official Seattle Seahawks Thread 2012***

I don't know if others prefer the QB thread, but I'd like to condense any future topics into one location, as a filing cabinet of sorts, for the most passionate fan base this message bored has evah seen. We need rotating subtitles, I'm around quite a bit, until I get banned of course, so I felt I needed to start this thread, whether I end up the only one posting in it remains to be seen. We should get to around 50 pages by July at latest. Draft day weekend will be a drunken mess. We will be fighting with all the mouthbreathing fans of other teams. And Walter Payton still has AIDS.

Friday morning this week, the coin flip determines whether we pick 11th or 12th. :hyper:

With the combine starting up shortly, we could hash out where we feel the team needs to upgrade, whether through free agency or draft. Who we expect to return or leave from the roster that isn't under contract. And wonder why we have to go to Chicago yet again this year. What, that is 3 years in a row, not including playoff games?

Friday morning this week, the coin flip determines whether we pick 11th or 12th. :hyper:

With the combine starting up shortly, we could hash out where we feel the team needs to upgrade, whether through free agency or draft. Who we expect to return or leave from the roster that isn't under contract. And wonder why we have to go to Chicago yet again this year. What, that is 3 years in a row, not including playoff games?

I thought it was already done, and we got 12?

:dunno:

I thought it was already done, and we got 12?

:dunno:

Nope. That was merely an internet rumor. It is officially flipped early on the Friday morning preceding the official start of the scouting combine. Tomorrow, February 24th, 2012. Two coin flips upcoming: Seattle/KC and Miami/Carolina.

Im glad the Hawks fly to Chicago again. It's become almost a home away from home. Also gives Cutler a chance to recreate the biggest win of his storied career.

Im also shocked the team wants to keep Calrson around. Moorah would have to be the odd man out.

Heads

Seattle ended up with the 12th pick. From what I read in the other thread, pass-rush sounds like arguably their biggest need (or QB). If Coples falls out of the top 10 (there are concerns about his motor & behavior off the field), is he a no-brainer?

Coples at number 12 would be a great pick-- most mock drafts I've seen have him drafted before that--and Seattle definitely could use a good pass rushing defensive lineman, but I haven't heard too much about Coples character issues and didn't know teams were wary of him. Unless a better player happens to fall to them, I say the Hawks should take someone like Coples (Melvin Ingram? Courtney Upshaw?) with the 12th and a quarterback in the 2nd or 3rd round, and possibly another defensive lineman or defensive back with the other 2nd/3rd rounder.

Unless an obvious better player is available, of course.

Schneider is making all the right noises about bringing back Lynch for a few more years.. or at least one more.

Hill still retarded

They were probably going to let him go anyways. He played well last year. Good job dumbass.

Ay, Carumba. Well, at least that decision made itself.

I'd like to hold onto Hawthorne, if he doesn't ask for too much.

John Clayton has been making radio appearances, proclaiming Seattle as heavily in the mix and a possible front runner to sign Mario Williams.

Latest NFL Network mock has Seattle taking Tannehill at 6.

6th pick? They traded up to reach for a 3rd round QB early in the first round? No way, man. :lol:

John Schneider and Pete Carroll have preached patience in getting a QB. I can see Seattle maybe moving up in the 2nd round to lock down Osweiler. But that's unlikely too. These guys covet draft picks. They could sign Mario Williams, Matt Flynn, resign Lynch and Red Bryant, and still have money under the cap. I suspect they would target a guy that's been in the league a little while and more prepared to play than to trade up for a rookie QB. They won't reach either, I suspect. Schneider comes from a team that sat back and let Aaron Rodgers fall in their lap at #24.

6th pick? They traded up to reach for a 3rd round QB early in the first round? No way, man. :lol:

John Schneider and Pete Carroll have preached patience in getting a QB. I can see Seattle maybe moving up in the 2nd round to lock down Osweiler. But that's unlikely too. These guys covet draft picks. They could sign Mario Williams, Matt Flynn, resign Lynch and Red Bryant, and still have money under the cap. I suspect they would target a guy that's been in the league a little while and more prepared to play than to trade up for a rookie QB. They won't reach either, I suspect. Schneider comes from a team that sat back and let Aaron Rodgers fall in their lap at #24.

Resign Bryant. Sign Mario Williams, and draft a couple of Lb's.

Oh my.

We'd be looking at a top 10 Defense/special teams for years and years to come.

The QB situation will sort out itself. But if thats our only weakness (maybe a WR too) heading into next years off season/draft/free agency.

Who wouldn't want to be in our shoes. :cheers:

Yes, but too much patience, and they will simply be picking a QB for the next guy in their jobs to enjoy.

Yes, but too much patience, and they will simply be picking a QB for the next guy in their jobs to enjoy.

From what I hear, Paul Allen loves the current coach and front office. Considering the mess of Holmgren feuding with Whitsitt and Ruskell and other characters in a shitty soap opera, then Jim Mora Jr for a year, and the team had about 6 subpar drafts in a row...

Then, an expected division title and playoff win in year one, smoke and mirrors, but still. Beast Mode Earthquake.

Last year...you have to believe me when I tell you that the team is now filling up with good young talented players. I would not have been able to say that since 2005 or so. The cupboard was bare. Now, there are all sorts of building blocks on this team. It's...OK, I'll say it...EXCITING.... :banana:

I think unless the bottom completely falls out, ala St Louis Rams the past couple of years, this front office and staff may be around for quite a while. And I like what I'm seeing overall. The talent is so much better than 2 years ago. But, dammit, I am absolutely positive I can run a draft board better.

The most impressive part is how our secondary has been totally rebuilt. They brought in the safeties the first year, then the corners in 2011. If he accepts a pay cut Trufant is the 3rd or 4th corner at best. Carroll obviously knows a thing or two about DB's. Mora and 2009 seem like a distant memory.

And overall the entire team played with an attitude. Both sides of the ball played with a punch-you-in-the-face mentality that I dont ever remember watching in Seattle. Even with Walter Jones and Hutch dominating the left side of the field the Holmgren Hawks were more of a finesse team. These guys just want to mug you. Hopefully they can maintain that tenacity while cutting way down on the stupid penalties.

You can't measure this team's progress by this season's record. The entire mentality and identity has changed.

Lynch, 4 years, up to 31 million with bonuses, 18 million guaranteed. I guess everybody seems happy with the deal.

I guess there is no one else on the team is worth franchising this year, given the financial considerations.

They could sign Mario Williams, Matt Flynn, resign Lynch and Red Bryant, and still have money under the cap.

Hokey Smokes, Bullwinkle. Per John Clayton's twitter on ESPN, he is reporting that 3 teams are the front runners for Matt Flynn: Seattle, Cleveland, Miami. And. And. AND. Seattle remains seriously in the hunt to get Mario Williams too. So, conceivably, Seattle has resigned Lynch, can get Flynn and Williams, and resign Red Bryant, and then do the draft. Ay, Carumba. My head hurts.

Flynn expects 810 million per.

Hokey Smokes, Bullwinkle. Per John Clayton's twitter on ESPN, he is reporting that 3 teams are the front runners for Matt Flynn: Seattle, Cleveland, Miami. And. And. AND. Seattle remains seriously in the hunt to get Mario Williams too. So, conceivably, Seattle has resigned Lynch, can get Flynn and Williams, and resign Red Bryant, and then do the draft. Ay, Carumba. My head hurts.

Flynn expects 810 million per.

If we got both Flynn and Williams and still hava a full draft I would go nuts. :) To me, we become an instant contender for many years.

I would actually be happy if we can just land 1 of the 2.

See what happens though! :D

I would hope that signing Williams, and resigning Bryant would be the #1 and 2 priorities for them.

I would hope that signing Williams, and resigning Bryant would be the #1 and 2 priorities for them.

All I ask it that no stone is left unturned.

Addressing our long-term QB needs AND getting pass rushers through free agency and the draft? :banana:

yes please!

Also, Hill and his woman pissed clean. Charges were dropped. He could be back.

Also, Hill and his woman pissed clean. Charges were dropped. He could be back.

However, the league has a history of suspending players even when they are innocent of crimes. Since this is a pattern or behavior they don't approve, it's a dicey situation.

I wouldn't mind him coming back, incentive laden contract.

I really like what the rebuild job the Seahawks have done the last couple years, outstanding job.

I see our weaknesses currently as QB, a second pass rusher and O-line (still!!!).

1) I think we have enough talented kids on the O-line and they improved towards end of last year so we should be ok there (IhopeIhopeIhopeIhope) :huh:

2) I am afraid we are just too low to get a good QB prospect this year, the Rams would have to be insane to make a trade within the division and potentially hand a division rival a franchise QB. Fisher is too smart a coach to let this happen, which is too bad really, our current offense looks tailor made for RGIII. I think if we pay Flynn we would not have enough to pay Mario Williams, Flynn's agent has to have looked at Kolb and will be asking for a big front loaded contract. I wonder if Carrol is eyeing Barkley out of USC?

3) We need a secondary pass rush threat oppisite the LEO position (Clemons) and arguably we need to draft a replacement for Clemons as well. This is why Mario Williams would be a huge signing for us. We could draft a young pass rusher/best Dlineman available and have a defense that is set for years. I am actually pulling for this option myself. I am more than mildly concerned we have not resigned Red Bryant the man is a beast and arguably a top 5 D-Tackle in the league, pay the man!

It kills me though that we might start camp with no developmental QB. The Seahawks are arguably above average at every other position on the field, we need a top notch QB or prospect ASAP! If we do get Mario Williams and then draft a rookie pass rusher, we would have to break the bank for a elite QB prospect the following year.

It kills me though that we might start camp with no developmental QB.

Tarvaris Jackson fills that role.

Copied and pasted post from another thread. I figured it was relevant to the new Manning news, and I wanted it on record for posterity sake.

To expand on this.

I agree that the weather is lacking.

WRs they have. Sidney Rice, Big Mike Williams, Doug Baldwin, sevicable guys like Ben Obamanu, Ricardo Lockette, Golden Tate. And they are looking to add an impact WR through the draft of free agency. Don't forget that Manning loves to throw to his TE, and Seattle has Zach Miller, good chance to resign John Carlson, and tons of depth, probably the deep position on the team. Michael Robinson does a fine job as a FB catching the ball.

This is now year three of the rebuilding, and remarkably this team won a playoff game year one and was in the playoff chase until the final week of this season. With a star QB like Manning, this team with it's young and talented defense along with dominant running game with Lynch and the offensive line coached by Tom Cable, this team is the front runner in the NFC West and a serious contender. If you can win a title, even take a one year shot at it, maybe you do it. Baseball teams trade top minor league prospects for a veteran reliever or left handed spare bat to put them over the top all the time.

However, I do not think it will happen anyway. The youth movement is correct. Its moving in an extremely positive direction. Why bring in an expensive, potentially fragile older QB for a brief run at a title is the flip side to the previous argument of taking a brief shot at the title, changing the youth chemistry forever. I think Manning needs a docile head coach, one he can manipulate in his own direction. I think Carroll has too much personality to mesh with Manning. The offensive line was jelling and making room for Lynch to run last year. But it's a zone block scheme set in place by Tom Cable. For Manning, you'd have to scrap that and go to a max protect scheme. Which changes the playbook completely, what with all the roll outs that the current Seattle offense uses frequently. Manning wants to call his own plays. Do you change the entire offense completely for him. I don't know. Seattle has plenty of money under the cap. But they keep emphasizing that QB is not the biggest need on this team; it was acknowledged finally that the D-line is, specifically pass rush. It would make more sense to spend the cash Manning would want on a Mario Williams or some of the LBs about to hit the market.

With no real prospect at QB and the team being fairly stacked elsewhere, I wouldn't mind a 3 year 40million gamble on Manning. As long as we could cut ties after one year and the cap hit would not be carried forward.

I agree though with the Fox News article:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/indianapolis-colts-set-to-release-peyton-manning-whats-his-next-stop-030612

Seattle's current offense with its rollouts is not suited to his playstyle and our O-line does not hold up well when doing the max protect schemes. That said we dont have help at QB on the horizon so I would be more than happy to take a chance on him.

With no real prospect at QB and the team being fairly stacked elsewhere, I wouldn't mind a 3 year 40million gamble on Manning. As long as we could cut ties after one year and the cap hit would not be carried forward.

I agree though with the Fox News article:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/indianapolis-colts-set-to-release-peyton-manning-whats-his-next-stop-030612

Seattle's current offense with its rollouts is not suited to his playstyle and our O-line does not hold up well when doing the max protect schemes. That said we dont have help at QB on the horizon so I would be more than happy to take a chance on him.

Might wanna slow your roll there playa. The hawks are getting better, but "Stacked" is not a word that should be used in the same sentence as Seahawks, unless the word "cheerleader" is also in that sentence.

I'm sure Seattle will take a good look at Manning, like they've done with every other available player the past two years, but I strongly doubt Manning has any intentions of going to Seattle.

I'd almost rather gamble on Flynn. I'd definitely rather bring in Mario Williams.

You could maybe use the term stacked regarding the secondary. 3 DBs in the Pro Bowl and the only starter not to make it was an impressive rookie. They are all huge, except for Earl Thomas who is a special talent. There are some youngsters on the roster behind last years starters that have shown some promise too. Walter Thurmond began the year as a starter and will be back as a nickel. There is even a chance Trufant could stick around if he wants to take a big pay cut. Maybe stacked isn't the word, but the unit looks strong overall.

The team has some nice depth elsewhere.

Also, in my opinion, The Seagals could stand to be a little more stacked.

You could maybe use the term stacked regarding the secondary. 3 DBs in the Pro Bowl and the only starter not to make it was an impressive rookie. They are all huge, except for Earl Thomas who is a special talent. There are some youngsters on the roster behind last years starters that have shown some promise too. Walter Thurmond began the year as a starter and will be back as a nickel. There is even a chance Trufant could stick around if he wants to take a big pay cut. Maybe stacked isn't the word, but the unit looks strong overall.

What's the deal with Trufant? I know that he was injured last season; but was he a cap-casualty today or do they think that he's just not that good anymore? With the Titans losing Cortland Finnegan and with Mike Reinfeldt's connections with many of the Seattle players, I wouldn't be shocked if we made a move for Trufant because of his veteran leadership. If we signed him, he'd probably be our #2 CB after Jason McCourty (who might be the best CB in the league that no one talks about...dude can seriously play).