Sign in to follow this  
Mike FF Today

Zero RB Draft Strategy - What your team might look like

Jason Mitchell took the Zero RB draft strategy for a spin, with some decent results. He drafted from the No.7 position in a mock PPR league and used ADP to fill out the picks in the draft. Since I'm higher on Blount than most, I'd be happy with this team in a PPR league. As I mentioned in the other thread, I think if you end up going this route in your draft, the key will be focusing your early in-season free agent picks on RBs in hopes of landing the C.J. Anderson or Justin Forsett RB that rears it's head every year.

I like it. Seems like when you draft an RB in the first rounds you still need to focus on free agency for RBs because the one you drafted doesn't work out.

I like it. Seems like when you draft an RB in the first rounds you still need to focus on free agency for RBs because the one you drafted doesn't work out.

Every year my rbs look nothing like what I drafted. I do maintain that a good zero rb strategy should have a top qb or TE involved. The idea being to gain advantages at as many positions as possible since RB will be weak. Also this works great in a late pick in some leagues where reverse draft order is the waiver order to start. Last pick can take a top 2 qb and a top 5 wr plus have top waiver priority.

Agree I think it's a good ideal , but I would go after one of the top two qbs Luck or Rodgers .

Agree I think it's a good ideal , but I would go after one of the top two qbs Luck or Rodgers .

This is actually imperative if you employ this strategy.

I have built my 4 keeper league team in the WR/WR/WR PPR design, with Antonio Brown, Dez, and Beckham Jr.

I need to decide by labor day between Jeremy Hill and Luck(4pts per pass) as my 4th keeper. Currently shopping both for a draft pick.

My main league drafts this Thursday and I am seriously considering trying this. It's a 12-team that has been together 15 years with 6-point passing touchdowns. I have never drafted in the top 5 and this year I drew the 9-hole. Top QB's (Luck, Rogers) will go in the first five picks so good RB's will slide down. Every year I have take a RB in the first and usually the last to draft a QB. My results have been all over the board throughout the years. But I have won the league twice and finshed 2nd, 3 times. I have always ended up weak at WR.

I just did a mock an hour ago and used the zero RB strategy and I was pleased with the team I drafted. Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, Flex, TE, etc.

WR - Demaryius, Julio, Hopkins, Victor Cruz

RB - Randle, Ivory, Abdullah, McFadden (locked up Dallas), Tre Mason,

QB - Brady, Eli, Bradford.

TE - Josh Hill, Kyle Rudolf

DST - Dolphins

Some Kicker.

I think I could live with this roster to start the season. Eli and Bradford get me through until Brady returns and he may be angry enough to go on a tear. Locked up the Dallas backfield and have some other decent RB2's. But my WR's are awsome with two that could battle for top WR this year. This strategy would work in my league because nobody else will try it.

My main league drafts this Thursday and I am seriously considering trying this. It's a 12-team that has been together 15 years with 6-point passing touchdowns. I have never drafted in the top 5 and this year I drew the 9-hole. Top QB's (Luck, Rogers) will go in the first five picks so good RB's will slide down. Every year I have take a RB in the first and usually the last to draft a QB. My results have been all over the board throughout the years. But I have won the league twice and finshed 2nd, 3 times. I have always ended up weak at WR.

I just did a mock an hour ago and used the zero RB strategy and I was pleased with the team I drafted. Start QB, 2RB, 2WR, Flex, TE, etc.

DST - Dolphins

Some Kicker.

I think I could live with this roster to start the season. Eli and Bradford get me through until Brady returns and he may be angry enough to go on a tear. Locked up the Dallas backfield and have some other decent RB2's. But my WR's are awsome with two that could battle for top WR this year. This strategy would work in my league because nobody else will try it.

You shouldn't draft a backup TE or QB (Brady the exception). They are a waste of roster space when you could be getting more lotto ticket wr/rbs. It's especially mandatory when going zero rb strat since you will rely on breakouts for depth. I like the rbs except McFadden, he's not locking up anything but a headache. I'd drop one of the TE and a QB for whoever is available on the wire like Artis-Payne or duke Johnson. Can't stress this enough for if your real draft is early. Stuff happens in preseason.

You have no need for Eli & Bradford. Take whomever is going later and then play Brady the rest of the year after the suspension. Draft as many RBs as you can squeeze on your roster.

I don't roster a backup TE.

DST - Dolphins

Some Kicker.

My type of team like the extra qb but you can dump one of the te . Like it .

I actually did this strategy in my draft last week..

QB: Ryan Tannehill, Sam Bradford

RB: Mark Ingran, Alfred Morris, Carlos Hyde, Jonathan Stewart

WR: Odell Beckham Jr, AJ Green, Alshon Jeffery, Allen Robinson

TE: Delaney Walker, Jordan Cameron

K: Cody Parkey

Def: Miami

Couldnt be happier with the way it turned out

In my experience if you have to start 2 RB's in your league you simply cannot implore this method. Now, if you only have to start one, and you have multiple flex options, this can be a solid strategy.

In my experience if you have to start 2 RB's in your league you simply cannot implore this method. Now, if you only have to start one, and you have multiple flex options, this can be a solid strategy.

I agree for the most part. If you were to do this I would pay close attention to the schedule for your QB/WR's during your playoff weeks. I'd want guys in warm weather/domes. Otherwise, you'll likely need your RB production more at that point in the season.

I prefer to call this upside down drafting, but no matter the name, the idea's the same. I'm not sure the way I'd do it shapes up well this year, as I'd emphasize also getting a top QB or TE. Trouble is there's only one consensus elite option at TE and two at QB, so you can't really go WR/WR and expect to grab either.

I always find happiness in balance. Best value throughout the draft usually works out fine.

You would have had more fun lighting your money on fire.

• Like 1

Zero qb is best

Every year that is the case.

WR: Odell Beckham Jr, AJ Green, Alshon Jeffery, Allen Robinson

TE: Delaney Walker, Jordan Cameron

K: Cody Parkey

Def: Miami

Couldnt be happier with the way it turned out

I drafted 10/10 in both of my pay leagues so far in the 1st I could have selected D.Thomas and D.Bryant in 1.10 and 2.1 but opted for Forte instead of Bryant for 2 reasons 1) I think Forte is going to have another solid year and 2) I was concerned about what RBs would be left to chose from in another 18 picks. In the 2nd League, regretting not taking Bryant I went WR/WR passing up on Forte. However, I was not fortunate to have Thomas and Bryant available. I think I probably should have went Bryant and Thomas in the 1st League, then taking Forte and another top WR in the 2nd league but there's no changing what I've done. Plus I didn't know I would be picking 10/10 in either league until 15 minutes before the draft. Anyway here's how both drafts turned out, my starting RBs are same as above:

League 1 (RB/WR) League 2 (WR/WR)

QB: Big Ben, Rivers Brees, Stafford

RB: Forte, Gore, Sankey, McFadden Morris, Ingram, Spiller, A. Foster, D. Freeman, D. Williams

WR: D. Thomas, A. Johnson, Wallace, R. White, S. Smith, Boldin J. Jones, Calvin Johnson, G. Tate, Boldin, LaFell

TE: Daniels Daniels

K: Hauschka Viniateri

D: Arizona Not Drafted

I think my 2nd team turned out better overall. 1 good thing is since I was last to draft, I have the 1st priority on the waiver wire which I will use to fill in any depth issues. I'm all in on Daniels at TE, but will be quick to drop him for someone better because there are plenty of options still out there. My 1st team is old.

I drafted 10/10 in both of my pay leagues so far in the 1st I could have selected D.Thomas and D.Bryant in 1.10 and 2.1 but opted for Forte instead of Bryant for 2 reasons 1) I think Forte is going to have another solid year and 2) I was concerned about what RBs would be left to chose from in another 18 picks. In the 2nd League, regretting not taking Bryant I went WR/WR passing up on Forte. However, I was not fortunate to have Thomas and Bryant available. I think I probably should have went Bryant and Thomas in the 1st League, then taking Forte and another top WR in the 2nd league but there's no changing what I've done. Plus I didn't know I would be picking 10/10 in either league until 15 minutes before the draft. Anyway here's how both drafts turned out, my starting RBs are same as above:

League 1 (RB/WR) League 2 (WR/WR)

QB: Big Ben, Rivers Brees, Stafford

RB: Forte, Gore, Sankey, McFadden Morris, Ingram, Spiller, A. Foster, D. Freeman, D. Williams

WR: D. Thomas, A. Johnson, Wallace, R. White, S. Smith, Boldin J. Jones, Calvin Johnson, G. Tate, Boldin, LaFell

TE: Daniels Daniels

K: Hauschka Viniateri

D: Arizona Not Drafted

I think my 2nd team turned out better overall. 1 good thing is since I was last to draft, I have the 1st priority on the waiver wire which I will use to fill in any depth issues. I'm all in on Daniels at TE, but will be quick to drop him for someone better because there are plenty of options still out there. My 1st team is old.

Ur RB's on team one are very shaky, you're going to have hit on some guys off the waiver wire. Why have 2 QB's?? Both of those teams would look much better with an RB like David Johnson or David Cobb.

I have built my 4 keeper league team in the WR/WR/WR PPR design, with Antonio Brown, Dez, and Beckham Jr.

I need to decide by labor day between Jeremy Hill and Luck(4pts per pass) as my 4th keeper. Currently shopping both for a draft pick.

Trade Luck for a pick or a better keeper at RB/WR.

Ur RB's on team one are very shaky, you're going to have hit on some guys off the waiver wire. Why have 2 QB's?? Both of those teams would look much better with an RB like David Johnson or David Cobb.

Id take team 1s rbs any day over team 2. Depth is an issue but Forte and Gore are solid. i love that perennial 1st rounder forte is being demoted now as if hes fallen off a cliff. Id love him in rnd 2.

I agree the RBs on Team 1 look shaky, but I disagree that they would look any better w/ David Johnson or David Cobb. They would effectively look the same because I doubt either one does anything of significance this season. I'd rather use waiver priority picking up someone who steps into the starters rule in a more favorable situation than waste anymore roster space on David Cobb who won't do anything b/c Tennessee sucks (I don't even like Sankey and was only picked up b/c he's listed a RB1 on his team but will likely be the first player I drop) or David Johnson who if he was any good at all, the Cardinals wouldn't have signed a washed up old running back with a bullet hole in his shoulder to take his spot on the depth chart. I also have no problem carrying 2 quality QBs, it's never been a problem for me before and it keeps them off of someone else's roster when they're the guy who's QB goes down early in the season and they're trying to scoop up Johnny Manziel off the waiver wire because every other team has any QB that is worth a crap.