Sign in to follow this  
Guest knarley

Mac OS X Issues

Guest knarley

2 issues I have come up with so far.

I have OS X (10.4.2) installed. I'm using Compiler 1.1c.

1. I am using Office v. X (10.1.6) - I am unable to "Update Projections". However when I reinstalled Office and was reset to version 10.0 I became able to "Update Projections". I am imagining that the 10.1.6 update has some query security in it that the out of the box version doesn't have that is preventing the "Update Projections" function from working. For the mean time I am going to remain at 10.0 until after my draft at the end of August so I can continue to update projections more easily.

2. When I was trying out the "Draft Input" tab in the Draft Buddy, I noticed that "summary", "by team", "by pos", and "by round" tabs were not updating as I went along. I experimented with ways to get it to work. I noticed at one point that by accidentally changing a cell formula on the "summary" page, I had caused the above mentioned tabs to update. I started over with a fresh copy of the draft buddy to see if I could recreate the scenario and did. Eventually I discovered the easiest way to make it update was to go to the "draft input" tab and double click in the box of the most recently entered pick and highlight the players name in that cell and then press the "return" key on the keyboard. This caused all of the above fields to update just like the "by team", "offense", and "overall" tabs had been doing all along. So now after every few picks I put in the "draft input" tab I do the highlight name and hit return trick to get everything to update. It's not a perfect system, but it might help get you by. Otherwise the Draft buddy loses much of it's value if the tabs don't all update. I was able to recreate this scenario several times, so this seems like a good work around if needed.

Hope that helps someone or maybe someone else knows a better way to do it than I am and can let me know.

all best,

Carlton

F9 on PCs (not positive if it's the same on Macs) updates all formulas. I think Mike turned off the auto-calc for the draft buddy because it was slow. Otherwise I've found that going into a different tab and then going back seems to make things update.

That is great to know about the update projections thing knarley. Certainly explains why some people indicate the update is working, and other it is not, even though they both tell me they are using Office v.10 for Mac.

As for Buddy, I did set it up differently this year in an attempt to speed up the calculations. Now, auto-calc is off when you open Draft Buddy. When you make a change on the draft input tab, it should update that tab, the summary, offense and idp tabs. Any other tab should update when you switch to it. So really, I wouldn't have thought anyone would/should notice other tabs not updating, except for the bottom left corner might say "Calculate" in the status bar of Excel. It isn't really necessary for the other tabs to update until you are viewing them, since they don't impact anything else to make Buddy operate.

Guest knarley
F9 on PCs (not positive if it's the same on Macs) updates all formulas.

After some checking... F9 was indeed the Excel keyboard shortcut for performing a calculation to update all formulas. However on my system F9 (by default I believe) is used for a function of the operating system as part of Expose to clear windows off the screen. So F9 was being overridden. In the system preferences I was able to free up F9 so that Excel could have it instead of the operating system. I also found that instead of F9, I could also use the keyboard combo of Command- Shift - = (equal sign) to do the same thing.

Guest knarley
It isn't really necessary for the other tabs to update until you are viewing them, since they don't impact anything else to make Buddy operate.

Mike,

Let me reexplain in case I didn't do a good job the first time. What I was saying was that the "summary", "by team", "by pos", and "by round" were not updating EVEN when I clicked those tabs to view them. They would only update when I did my trick to make it happen (of which now I can use the F9 function or Command - Shift - = (equal sign) to accomplish now instead)

The summary tab wouldn't even change from RB to QB or any pos unless I forced a calculation to happen. The Draft Pick status wouldn't change either. However, when I went into the Excel preferences to the Calculation tab, I was able to change it from Manual to automatic and now ALL tabs update when I click to view them when I make any change to the "draft input" or "summary" tabs.

It doesn't really seem to be giving me a noticeable performace hit to have it on auto calculate so I'm going to leave it on that. The entire thing seems to be running just as promised now. Thanks for helping give me some clues to get myself worked out.

With everything working it really is an extremely well thought out and nicely executed spreadsheet application you have come up with. Well worth the price in my view.

all best,

Carlton

Thanks Carlton. Maybe I should just switch back to the auto-calc. Something to think about when I go back to the drawing board in the off-season. I'm curious... do you enable macros everytime you open Draft Buddy? If you don't, that might be causing the tabs to not calculate when you click on them (or in the case of the summary tab, change it). I assume you are, in which case we might have another Mac/Win compatibility difference.

Guest knarley
do you enable macros everytime you open Draft Buddy?

I do enable the macros each time I open the spreadsheets.

Guest knarley

If you are using a Mac and running into a problem with the draft buddy not wanting to do it's set up and get a runtime error and it asks you about debugging then try this.

Keep the Compiler and Buddy files both open on your computer at the same time when you run the Buddy setup. Doing this has solved that problem for me every time.

all best,

Carlton

Guest rustyellis

Having both sheets open at the same time solved by "bug" error also. Thanks for the help.

I am new to this, but, wouldn't it be nice to have the player's name disappear from the possible selections once he is chosen? Don't know if this is possible, but it would be nice.

Again, thanks for the great product! I am looking forward to my first season! Draft is on 9/3! Eight teams and I am the rookie of us all...

I am new to this, but, wouldn't it be nice to have the player's name disappear from the possible selections once he is chosen? Don't know if this is possible, but it would be nice.

Um, it does. Or at least it should. :(

Yeah Rusty, more info needed. Aren't the players disappearing once you enter them on draft input, and then flip to the offense or overall tabs?

Bump for Mac users. Some discussion points from last year.

Mike,

This is a new issue for this board:

I'm using the newest Mac OS X and Office 2004. When I calculate my cheatsheets in the compiler, it does it by position but not overall. (So each position is ranked, but I don't have an overall ranking combining all the positions.)

In other news, when I send info from projection pal to the compiler, Cadillac Williams is always changed to 'Cadillac' Williams, and the stats don't transfer as a result. Is this something in the program?

That's all the problems I've had so far.

~Matt

Hi Matt. Good catch on the 'Cadillac' thing in Pal. I just changed his name in the database to Cadillac (no single quotes) because they were causing issues elsewhere. But I forgot to change Projection Pal and it still adds the single quotes around his name. I'll change that.

I haven't heard this issue about the overall cheatsheet not working on Macs though. Are you sure you hit Compile Cheatsheets to generate your cheatsheets? Note if you change the scoring but do not hit Compile Cheatsheets, the offense and idp sheets may appear to update (the FF Pts will update), but really they may or may not be sorted properly, and the overall sheet will not generate until after hitting the button.

In other news, when I send info from projection pal to the compiler, Cadillac Williams is always changed to 'Cadillac' Williams, and the stats don't transfer as a result. Is this something in the program?

Okay Matt (and everyone), that Cadillac issue should be fixed if you download Projection Pal again. Same file name so you can put it right over top of the last one.

I haven't heard this issue about the overall cheatsheet not working on Macs though. Are you sure you hit Compile Cheatsheets to generate your cheatsheets? Note if you change the scoring but do not hit Compile Cheatsheets, the offense and idp sheets may appear to update (the FF Pts will update), but really they may or may not be sorted properly, and the overall sheet will not generate until after hitting the button.

Thanks much, Mike. Actually, I hadn't tried recompiling them. What happened when I first compiled them was this: I had no data for overall, only 'LB' listed as the position in slot two, and nothing else on the list. But when I recompiled it, everthing looked fine. Perhaps it was just a glitch in Excel or something. It works just fine now.

~Matt

After some checking... F9 was indeed the Excel keyboard shortcut for performing a calculation to update all formulas. However on my system F9 (by default I believe) is used for a function of the operating system as part of Expose to clear windows off the screen. So F9 was being overridden. In the system preferences I was able to free up F9 so that Excel could have it instead of the operating system. I also found that instead of F9, I could also use the keyboard combo of Command- Shift - = (equal sign) to do the same thing.

For me it's just (apple key and the = key) and that works to update the draft input cells for teams and bye weeks.