Sign in to follow this  
Mike MacGregor

Week 1 Smack!

Guest rotochamp1
Then you certainly should have entered the divisions as the group decided.

I thought I did. I certainly set divisions based on the post at whatever point in time I saw it. Whether or not that was the final version I have no idea as it was rather difficult to connect to the forums during that time.

(This feels far too similar to the whole, unnecessary FAB date brouhaha -- you deciding while we're over here talking about it -- for my taste.)

There was no brouhaha. I merely had to choose some date later than the default until we decided. It was the panicked over reaction by others that caused that confusion. It certainly was not me trying to be a dictator.

I was only helping Mike get things set up. The last thing I want is to be responsible for this league.

I don't think I need to own a site to have a vote in a league I'm in, and I would've certainly asked Cam to do so myself later in the week once they got over the scoring issues, except...

You certainly don't need to, your opinion is as valid as anyone else in the league, and anyone in this league is welcome to make any request of the folks at GDR they would like, I was only saying that I would not make the request. I happen to have a close working relationship with Cam and have quicker access to him than posting in the forums, that is why I said I would ask. Anyone is free to go thru the normal channels and inquire, it doesn't bother me.

I just wanted to clear up any perception that I want total control and an trying to isolate all communication to GDR to run through me. I actually want no control, and encourage everyone to communicate to GDR. Cam actually told me today that his team will be looking forward to the feedback coming from our league since he thinks alot of the FFtoday community.

The original/proposed division alignment was cool, I thought. If we can't change it, fine. I am a software developer by trade and I can see it being both easy or a pain to correct (note, never impossible, but depending on the application, certainly could be too much trouble for them to devote resources to...not to mention the risk of introducing bugs if they are massaging the database by hand).

I'd support a request to realign, but I'm still going to have fun either way. If it's a huge deal for them to change it, I'd rather have them spend their man-hours on bug fixes and feature requests.

We all need to remember that they are still trying to iron out details with this product...we're just guinea pigs!

The divisions had been setup the way that we discussed in the earlier thread. Perhaps when the team went through to correct the GM Rating problems it triggered a reset to the divisions. :headbanger:

Realignment would be a nice touch but let's get through this season the way things are and give the GDR Team the feedback to make this better in the future. Perhaps all of us can be doin' this soon

:thumbsup: ;) :P

We all need to remember that they are still trying to iron out details with this product...we're just guinea pigs!

The divisions had been setup the way that we discussed in the earlier thread. Perhaps when the team went through to correct the GM Rating problems it triggered a reset to the divisions. :pointstosky:

Realignment would be a nice touch but let's get through this season the way things are and give the GDR Team the feedback to make this better in the future. Perhaps all of us can be doin' this soon

:thumbsup: :banana: :banana:

ALL of us? :lol:

Maybe just the division leaders :ph34r:

Perhaps all of us can be doin' this soon

:pointstosky:  :shocking:  :banana:

Sorry...sometimes my blind optimism gets in the way of rational thought. :pointstosky:

Seems that I lost my first game but when your QB drops the rock SIX TIMES, you can't expect to win. On the upside, I did have the 2nd ranked Defense for the week. The Underdogs came swooping in with a stifling 82.7 points on D :doublethumbsup: which FAR exceeded my puny 67.6 from the Devils. I know that the Geckos are right behind me with 66.3 and I think both the Titans and All-Moons are in the mid 60's (don't quite remember right now). Hey, I'll take whatever minor victory or gleam of hope I can :D

Let's get ready for some FREE AGENCY!!!

OK, now I'm mad. How does my opponent's defensive coverage negate 20 points from my score while the average was more like 8?

As I've said before, I'm having a lot of fun with GDR, but it's way too complicated on the scoring side. There has got to be another way to explain the scoring system then with the user guide.

I need more players and a new head coach :lol:

Only need to get your Defensive Coordinator to match-up better vs your opponent and some Special Teams. Ya woulda had him otherwise

OK, now I'm mad. How does my opponent's defensive coverage negate 20 points from my score while the average was more like 8?

As I've said before, I'm having a lot of fun with GDR, but it's way too complicated on the scoring side. There has got to be another way to explain the scoring system then with the user guide.

Part of it comes from the fact that you scored near 93 points on offense where most of the teams were in the 50's or 60's. There's a difference between 12% of 50 (6) and 12% of 90 (10.8).

The other issue comes from the Defensive Coverage itself. Grigs may not have had the exact percentages the same as your Pass/Run ratio, but 100% of his coverage were within his Defensive Scheme (3-4) and matched up perfectly with your West Coast Offensive scheme. It may suck but makes sense. If you have the right personnel on the field, it's gonna be harder to get points

Perhaps all of us can be doin' this soon

:mad:  :banana:  :banana:

Sorry...sometimes my blind optimism gets in the way of rational thought. ;)

Seems that I lost my first game but when your QB drops the rock SIX TIMES, you can't expect to win. On the upside, I did have the 2nd ranked Defense for the week. The Underdogs came swooping in with a stifling 82.7 points on D :unsure: which FAR exceeded my puny 67.6 from the Devils. I know that the Geckos are right behind me with 66.3 and I think both the Titans and All-Moons are in the mid 60's (don't quite remember right now). Hey, I'll take whatever minor victory or gleam of hope I can :D

Let's get ready for some FREE AGENCY!!!

Brian Dawkins was the ROXOR!!

Man, I need some serious offensive help. My WRs sucked.

Like it seems many of you, I'm happy with my D. DeAngelo Hall has definitely earned a spot as DB2 or DB3.

My biggest worry though is my QB.

Not sure about you guys, but I have about 4 or 5 positions to consider when the waiver wires open.

Man, I need some serious offensive help. My WRs sucked.

Like it seems many of you, I'm happy with my D. DeAngelo Hall has definitely earned a spot as DB2 or DB3.

My biggest worry though is my QB.

Not sure about you guys, but I have about 4 or 5 positions to consider when the waiver wires open.

whenever that is...

Also recall that players are on a 48 hour window once a bid has been made. It they don't get this thing up and running soon, you might not even get your first bid players in the lineup for this weekend.

The divisions had been setup the way that we discussed in the earlier thread. Perhaps when the team went through to correct the GM Rating problems it triggered a reset to the divisions.  :thumbsup:

Just outta curiosity...what Division are people in according to the Tools pane in "My Account"

My Teams
Team Name Short Ab League 
Dixie Devils Devils DD GameDay Geeks 

My Leagues
League Tms Dvs Team Div 
GameDay Geeks 16 4 Devils 1

This says that I'm in Division 1 (which would agree with what we had been trying to do) but according to "League Home" I'm part of Division 2. :banana:

Somethin' here smells funky...and it ain't me this time.

Guest TheCheat

Hey Smoov, same here, I'm listed in Div. 1 (rather than 2) there; good catch, hadn't noticed that.

That further supports that roto had entered them correctly all along, and that the existing divisions are the result of some system problem.

The divisions had been setup the way that we discussed in the earlier thread. Perhaps when the team went through to correct the GM Rating problems it triggered a reset to the divisions.  :thumbsup:

Just outta curiosity...what Division are people in according to the Tools pane in "My Account"

My Teams
Team Name Short Ab League 
Dixie Devils Devils DD GameDay Geeks 

My Leagues
League Tms Dvs Team Div 
GameDay Geeks 16 4 Devils 1

This says that I'm in Division 1 (which would agree with what we had been trying to do) but according to "League Home" I'm part of Division 2. :thumbsup:

Somethin' here smells funky...and it ain't me this time.

Mine says 2.

That further supports that roto had entered them correctly all along, and that the existing divisions are the result of some system problem.

I've already started a thread over in GDRs Technical FAQ about this. I may add in some of the responses from here too.

I've also made an inquiry into HB Scheme bonuses over there, so hopefully the scores we have won't be final. At the moment, people who are platooning there RBs are losing half of each back's total points to the %Use but they are also getting only half of the scheme bonus.

Guest TheCheat

I've already started a thread over in GDRs Technical FAQ about this. I may add in some of the responses from here too.

Cam responded (http://www.gamedayritual.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20186&sid=6f7739dd7e6c0190b1b2e7cfa6841652) and said he could restore the divisions as found in "My Account" if roto sends him mail and requests this. (The schedule would remain unchanged.)

Looks like Cam answered it and now we have to make a decision:

You are correct folks, there was a glitch here.

We can implement your preferred divisional realignments but it should be noted that the schedules ARE currently influenced by divisions and cannot be changed. As such you if you do wish to have your divisions re-aligned you will be forced to maintain your current schedule which will then become unbalanced.

In most cases this is not a big issue, you may just miss playing one or two teams in your division if you have a large league. The situation becomes most unbalanced in a 16-team, 4-div league where you will actually end up playing some teams outside your division twice and can miss playing some teams in your division all together.

We have on record your last saved divisional re-alignment and if you do wish to have it implemented, understanding that there will be some lack of balance in the schedule as a result, please have the commish send an email to support@gamedayritual.com and we will take care of it.

Sorry for the inconvenience on this folks.

Since this is a legacy league I suppose I'd like them to revert back to the way we wanted them, knowing it will affect this year's scheduling.

Need to vote on this.

Looks like Cam answered it and now we have to make a decision:

You are correct folks, there was a glitch here.

We can implement your preferred divisional realignments but it should be noted that the schedules ARE currently influenced by divisions and cannot be changed. As such you if you do wish to have your divisions re-aligned you will be forced to maintain your current schedule which will then become unbalanced.

In most cases this is not a big issue, you may just miss playing one or two teams in your division if you have a large league. The situation becomes most unbalanced in a 16-team, 4-div league where you will actually end up playing some teams outside your division twice and can miss playing some teams in your division all together.

We have on record your last saved divisional re-alignment and if you do wish to have it implemented, understanding that there will be some lack of balance in the schedule as a result, please have the commish send an email to support@gamedayritual.com and we will take care of it.

Sorry for the inconvenience on this folks.

Since this is a legacy league I suppose I'd like them to revert back to the way we wanted them, knowing it will affect this year's scheduling.

Need to vote on this.

I'd say leave it as is for this year. I'd hate to see good teams miss the playoffs because they had to play tough non-div teams twice, while other teams luck out and play easy non-div teams. To maintain the legitimacy of a division win at the end of the year, I'd vote for leaving it. :thumbsup:

Guest TheCheat
I'd say leave it as is for this year. I'd hate to see good teams miss the playoffs because they had to play tough non-div teams twice, while other teams luck out and play easy non-div teams. To maintain the legitimacy of a division win at the end of the year, I'd vote for leaving it.  :angry:

I don't think anyone plays anyone twice. I don't...I play all teams, except for one (the Denver Destroyed) once. I'd like to see that (playing mult. in-division games) next year, but since the schedule isn't really affected this year, I think we should get the divisions correct now.

I vote yes to restoring the divisions...*but*, I just thought of something. Assuming we all play all but one team once, it *would* be bad if the one team you're not facing is in your restored division. If I get a chance, I'll take a look thru the schedule and see if there are any cases like that. (I'd hate to see someone lose their division by a game to someone they didn't even get to play.)

Guest TheCheat

I just did a quick search through the schedule and fortunately everyone would play each team in their own restored division once. Many of the games occur later in the schedule too (rather than during the first 3 weeks). :lol:

I'd be all for reverting to the Divisions that we originally setup, I'm not expecting to be much of a power in the league regardless.

I'm gonna send a proposed schedule to the GDR Guys for next year that would include playing teams in your division twice (weeks 5-7 & 12-14) and all but 2 of the rest of the teams in the league once. Formulaically they should be able to program this without problems (I think)

I'd say leave it as is for this year. I'd hate to see good teams miss the playoffs because they had to play tough non-div teams twice, while other teams luck out and play easy non-div teams. To maintain the legitimacy of a division win at the end of the year, I'd vote for leaving it.  :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone plays anyone twice. I don't...I play all teams, except for one (the Denver Destroyed) once. I'd like to see that (playing mult. in-division games) next year, but since the schedule isn't really affected this year, I think we should get the divisions correct now.

I vote yes to restoring the divisions...*but*, I just thought of something. Assuming we all play all but one team once, it *would* be bad if the one team you're not facing is in your restored division. If I get a chance, I'll take a look thru the schedule and see if there are any cases like that. (I'd hate to see someone lose their division by a game to someone they didn't even get to play.)

That would be fine then. Based on the quote from Cam I was under the impression we'd be playing the teams in our current divisions twice, even after switching to the correct divisions.

I really am not sure what the best option would be. I like the division that I am currently in, but a move wouldn't be that horrendous. I am going to have to say go with the divisions we have at this moment. The reason for this is because the schedule is made based on the divisions. I understand there is a solid argument that it doesn't matter because we play all the teams in our divisions...but the schedule was made so that you play your division rivalries during the beginning of the season, whether that be for better or for worse. So in a sense we would also be saying, we don't like the way the schedule was set up, we want to play our division rivalries later in the season. Therefore, my vote is more a vote for keeping the spirit of the schedule intact.

That would be fine then. Based on the quote from Cam I was under the impression we'd be playing the teams in our current divisions twice, even after switching to the correct divisions.

Then that might be something else that I will be mentioning over in their forum. As of right now, none of us have multiple games against any team.

It would be good if we could get the division alignment issue rectified ASAP. Not sure about anyone else but I believe my Defensive Scheme would possibly change depending on the strengths of the opponents in my division. It's be nice to work on that Scheme Bonus!!!

I'm indifferent on division alignment, but if we want it based on geography next year, then I think we should make the change this year.

I would be concerned that any further changes would introduce new unforseen errors.

Is this a dynasty league? Was it setup originally to carry over teams? I was under that impression, but furthermore does every current owner plan on returning next season?

If no to either of those two I would suggest the following:

lets get thru this season, iron out all the bugs possible and reform a dynasty league next year with fresh rosters. Also we should try to keep the experience level high by recruiting other Year 1 players to replace any of our current crew who are not committed to at least a 3 year stay (the maximum length of initial contract).

I see a lot of potential to the game but in my view it has a number of flaws. Quite honestly, their response to our questions, comments and complaints should be the determining factor on if we should stay or go.

Let's play out this year and see what happens.

OK...my thoughts yet again :P

I would be concerned that any further changes would introduce new unforseen errors.

I'm not all that concerned about this if we're just looking at this as something of an experiment.

Is this a dynasty league?  Was it setup originally to carry over teams?  I was under that impression, but furthermore does every current owner plan on returning next season?

The way the league was setup did have us as a Dynasty/Legacy League. I'm VERY interested in continuing this in the future and plan to hang around. :cry:

Lets get thru this season, iron out all the bugs possible and reform a dynasty league next year with fresh rosters.  Also we should try to keep the experience level high by recruiting other Year 1 players to replace any of our current crew who are not committed to at least a 3 year stay (the maximum length of initial contract).

This is something that I would also be in favor of. I realize that it is partially the fact that I fear I'm gonna be gettin' spanked on a regular basis but I also beleive a fresh start should be in order. This league is SO different than anything out there that a trial run is damn-near necessary. Those of you with $15 - $20 M left over after the FAB or a lot of 1 Year contracts aren't in bad shape but the rest of us are kinda screwed. If you end up with a bad team this year, you're pretty much guaranteed a bad team next year with a fair amount of the cap space already allocated. Just my feelings there.

We can still realign towards geographic location this year and possibly start some of that rivalry even if with start anew with rosters next year.

I see a lot of potential to the game but in my view it has a number of flaws.  Quite honestly, their response to our questions, comments and complaints should be the determining factor on if we should stay or go.

;)

The potential with this product is phenomenal as long as they are receptive to change, which they seem to be. Perhaps we should start some polls to track people's wishes for divison alignments and interest in remaining in the future

Guest TheCheat

Is this a dynasty league?  Was it setup originally to carry over teams?  I was under that impression, but furthermore does every current owner plan on returning next season?

lets get thru this season, iron out all the bugs possible and reform a dynasty league next year with fresh rosters.  Also we should try to keep the experience level high by recruiting other Year 1 players to replace any of our current crew who are not committed to at least a 3 year stay (the maximum length of initial contract).

I see a lot of potential to the game but in my view it has a number of flaws.  Quite honestly, their response to our questions, comments and complaints should be the determining factor on if we should stay or go.

Given the multi-year vs. single-year contracts we were deciding on in the FAB, it's a legacy league by definition, no? I assumed that's what everyone was signing on for.

However. I didn't want to say anything during the FAB while we were all still dealing w/ multi-year issues, but I too have wondered about this year being a mulligan/learning experience for all of us.

Since it is, at the moment, a legacy league, and things have occured that have put some folks at a disadvantage thru no fault of their own -- I'd have been six kinds of RIPSH!T if I were Blitzen this AM -- it'd be easy to convince me to go along w/ a do-over FAB w/ 100% experienced owners in it for the long haul next year (provided everybody commits to doing what they can w/ the cards they've been dealt this year so it's not a waste of time).

(ETA: 88 words in that last sentence...I owe anyone who actually read it a debt of gratitude. :ph34r: )

Other issues, like the unexpected GM effects, I'm less concerned with because we were all equally in the dark; not saying I'm content w/ how the GM rating works or that it shouldn't be improved, but at least we were all on the same shaky footing there. I've seen enough effort and engagement on the part of the gdr staff to believe they'll work thru the problems and make improvements w/ our input, so I'm looking forward to either continuing this league or forming another with you guys next year.

lets get thru this season, iron out all the bugs possible and reform a dynasty league next year with fresh rosters.  Also we should try to keep the experience level high by recruiting other Year 1 players to replace any of our current crew who are not committed to at least a 3 year stay (the maximum length of initial contract).

Given the multi-year vs. single-year contracts we were deciding on in the FAB, it's a legacy league by definition, no? I assumed that's what everyone was signing on for.

However. I didn't want to say anything during the FAB while we were all still dealing w/ multi-year issues, but I too have wondered about this year being a mulligan/learning experience for all of us.

Since it is, at the moment, a legacy league, and things have occured that have put some folks at a disadvantage thru no fault of their own -- I'd have been RIPSH!T if I were Blitzen this AM -- it'd be easy to convince me to go along w/ a do-over FAB w/ 100% experienced owners in it for the long haul next year (provided everybody commits to doing what they can w/ the cards they've been dealt this year so it's not a waste of time).

(ETA: 85 words in that last *sentence*. I owe anyone who actually read it a debt of gratitude. :ph34r: )

Other issues, like the unexpected GM effects, I'm less concerned with because we were all equally in the dark; not saying I'm content w/ how the GM rating works or that it shouldn't be improved, but at least we were all on the same shaky footing there. I've seen enough effort and engagement on the part of the gdr staff to believe they'll work thru the problems and make improvements w/ our input, so I'm looking forward to either continuing this league or forming another with you guys next year.

I'm in it for the long haul, but I don't really want to start over from scratch next year. I'm looking forward to the experience of having 2nd year players and living with decisions I made this year.

And I really don't think realigning the divisions will cause any additional problems. I'd bet money that all it amounts to is changing a division identifier field in our teams' database records.

Guest rotochamp1

1. If Cam needs the email to come from me regarding the realignment, then just kick me an email with the group decision. The forums here have been too buggy for me to guarantee I will see the decision if it is only posted here.

2. I would vote to continue next year with everything intact, I am not interested in starting over next season.

3. Yes it is a dynasty league, for anyone still unsure.

4. I assure you the GDR folks will be very receptive to feedback, they certainly were with baseball.

I'm indifferent on division alignment, but if we want it based on geography next year, then I think we should make the change this year.

:thumbsup:

So what's the vote count at so far? I say we tally it up tomorrow afternoon and make the request then, if needed. Whatever we do it should be ASAP while they are waiting on these requests.

I'm not a fan of starting over next year, and considering there are very few contract years available, this league is more of a 5-8 keeper league than a dynasty, so it is likely not too big of a deal for struglling teams, as there will be a ton of turn over from year to year.