Sign in to follow this  
redtodd

What Song did you not appreciate

One song that I love now that I was never into when I was younger was "All Along the Watchtower" from Hendrix.

What a great freaking song.

I feel the same towards a lot of Johny Cash songs as well.

One song that I love now that I was never into when I was younger was "All Along the Watchtower" from Hendrix.

I feel the same way about the song and any Dylan song really. I got into classic rock when I was in junior high/high school but never understood the interest in Dylan outside of Like A Rolling Stone being catchy. Now I see the brilliance of his songwriting. Same goes for Van Morrison. My mom always loved him and I never got it untill I became an adult.

What a great song All Along the Watchtower is. It is brief, simple, and vague but somehow packs a powerful message in it. It has such a sense of drama and impending doom. Its amazing the amount of drama that is built in such a short song.

All along the watchtower, princes kept the view

While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,

Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.

I feel the same way about the song and any Dylan song really

Same on both.

And old school Mariah Carey. That's probably the point of deviation :wub:

I feel the same way about the song and any Dylan song really. I got into classic rock when I was in junior high/high school but never understood the interest in Dylan outside of Like A Rolling Stone being catchy. Now I see the brilliance of his songwriting. Same goes for Van Morrison. My mom always loved him and I never got it untill I became an adult.

What a great song All Along the Watchtower is. It is brief, simple, and vague but somehow packs a powerful message in it. It has such a sense of drama and impending doom. Its amazing the amount of drama that is built in such a short song.

All along the watchtower, princes kept the view

While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too.

Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl,

Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl.

All Along the Watchtower was written by Dylan.

Pretty much any song from the 80s. I grew up with 70s rock, went thru HS and college in the 80s and hated the music at the time. One time near college graduation, a frined of mine said to me, "just because it isn't musically great doesn't mean you can't enjoy it." Had a bit of an epiphany at that point.

All of Iron Maiden's catalog up until Seventh Son.

When I was in high school, I did not find them to be fast or heavy enough for my tastes. Now that I have gone back and listened to them again, I am amazed at how awesome they are and how well their songs have stood the test of time.

The more I think about it, Hendrix in general does it for me. I thought he sucked when I was in high school, now I view him as amazing.

All Along the Watchtower is even better with headphones on so you can hear the suttle things he does with the guiter that are hard to pick up on with speakers. :wub:

I thought John Wesley Harding wrote it???

I was just reading something online that said Dylan did. :wub:

The more I think about it, Hendrix in general does it for me. I thought he sucked when I was in high school, now I view him as amazing.

All Along the Watchtower is even better with headphones on so you can hear the suttle things he does with the guiter that are hard to pick up on with speakers. :wub:

I was just reading something online that said Dylan did. :wub:

Dylan did write it- its off the album "John Wesley Harding".

Hendrix is amazing. Do you have any particular favorites? I really like If 6 Was 9 and Highway Chile

Dylan did write it- its off the album "John Wesley Harding".

Hendrix is amazing. Do you have any particular favorites? I really like If 6 Was 9 and Highway Chile

The best Hendrix song is "Manic Depression." I'm pretty sure it's one of, if not the only rock song in 3/4 time.

Most stuff by the Eagles for me. For some reason just never really cared for much of it until my early to mid 20's. Timeless stuff for the most part. :pointstosky:

I'm pretty sure it's one of, if not the only rock song in 3/4 time.

:thumbsup:

I'm sure there are a couple others.

Awesome signature, btw :pointstosky:

Not songs so much for me, but bands.

Tom Petty (kind of after I saw them in concert, but prolly wouldn't have gone to the concert when I was younger).

REM

I used to despise Stevie Ray Vaughn. I thought he was a rip off artist since all I heard I either didn't like or it was a cover. I had a chance to see him in concert and didn't go obviously. I wish I had, he died shortly after, and now I love his music. Stike it up to young and dumb I guess. :P :banana:

"Kentucky Rain", Elvis.

I was really not much into Elvis when I was young. This one has really grown on me lately.

Anything from Sinatra

Good call! I too have an appreciation for his stuff now. A friend of mine grew up in Jersey and is a die hard fan of his. He turned me on to some of his stuff and liked it. :P

About anything from Bob Marley. Surprisingly, Reggae isn't real big growing up in rural Montana.

I never got into Lionel Ritchie back in the day. Now I'm really finding I like all his stuff.

About anything from Bob Marley. Surprisingly, Reggae isn't real big growing up in rural Montana.

I used to listen to Marley in college, but I never appreciated him until now. I find myself listening quite a bit with a few cold ones out by the pool. The music relaxes me.

Where in Montana? I spent a summer in Kootnee??? Not sure if that is the right spelling. We were in some Amish territory, pretty much a culture shock for me.

Cat's In The Cradle

When I was a kid, I was like :banana:

Now as an adult with 2 little boys, I'm more like :banana: :blink:

Took the words right out of my mouth

Where in Montana? I spent a summer in Kootnee??? Not sure if that is the right spelling. We were in some Amish territory, pretty much a culture shock for me.

Southwest, Missoula area. A little south of where you were probably.

"Baby got back"

I used to concentrate on breasts. But after doing it doggy style with some jaylo shaped honeys, I love the booty more.

Randy Newman's "Short People"

I was about 7 or so when it came out and I was, well, short. Now that I'm all growed up, it's a focking excellent song.

anything from the pixies

when I was in high school or beginning college they were at their apex and I never understood why so many people liked them. Then, I bought a greatest hits album, more because it was the music of my youth and I was having a minor existential crisis. I realised as I listened that they were really really good. Then to read about how significant they were in shaping music it was a no brainer

on the flip side there is one band that I have always hated and its radiohead.

I'm not the only soul who's accused of hit and run,

Tire tracks all across your back,

I can see you had your fun,

But, darlin' can't you see my signals turn from green to red,

And with you I can see a traffic jam straight up ahead!

You're just like crosstown traffic!!! :rolleyes:

(I also agree on the Pixies. I didn't even realize they'd been around so long.)

The one that starts out ..

O beautiful for spacious skies,

For amber waves of grain,

For purple mountain majesties

Above the fruited plain!

America! America!

Maybe this is because Ray charles rendition