Sign in to follow this  
Mike MacGregor

CC/DB Tip of the Day - 7/7 - Practice Mock Draft

If you can't tell I'm running out of Compiler tips, this one might clinch it. If anyone has any of their own tips for Compiler, Buddy or Pal, shoot them over to me by email (or feel free to share).

This one is reaching a bit as it isn't specific to the Compiler, but worth mentioning.

Practice Mock Draft

To start, here is an excerpt from the FF Today Draft Plan (worth a read itself):

5. Practice

Ok, you've done steps 1 through 4, so you think you're ready to draft, right? Not quite. Why put all that hard work into your draft without seeing how it might turn out before playing for all the marbles? Or, why not try some different draft strategies to see what best suits you? No matter the specific reason, practice, practice and more practice can be a tremendous benefit to fantasy players. Mock drafting, studying average draft position ("ADP") data or even running through a few trials of our Draft Buddy software before it counts is worth the time invested.

I want to stress how helpful it is to run practice mock drafts before you get into your league draft(s). They serve numerous purposes... first, you get a better handle on where players are being taken in an actual draft scenario. Who is moving up in perceived value, and who is falling. The ADP data is good, but can get dated or not necessarily reflect your league depending on scoring, setup or even locale if you are in a league with local team bias. I guess an online mock might not help with that last point... Anyway, better to get some first hand practice in a simulated draft so you're more ready for the unexpected.

Second, you get to practice using Draft Buddy. Buddy is designed to help your draft run smoothly, BUT, there is a lot of information in there. If you haven't used Buddy before, and open it up for the first time just minutes before your draft, there is a good chance you could run into trouble. It pays to get comfortable with Buddy so even with a short timer you have no trouble entering picks, keeping the draft updated, etc.

The last main reason that I can think of is you get to try different draft scenarios and see how your team turns out. I never like to hear someone say, "I'm drafting RB, RB, WR, QB, etc." as I prefer to remain flexible, stick to the tiers, etc. However, I see nothing wrong going into a mock draft and putting more or less emphasis on certain positions or players and seeing what happens. For example, I might go into a mock planning to take Peyton Manning in the 2nd round (even if I don't really believe in doing that), and seeing how it shakes out.

Have I convinced you? Good.

I just joined a mock draft at XpertSports to help me with the first benefit mentioned above. I need some research if I'm going to be able to do my "Drafting from the Top", etc. articles again this year, and I'm considering joining a WCOFF Satellite.

Here is a link to that mock, if interested:

XpertSports WCOFF Format Mock

Here are places where you can join mock drafts online:

AntSports (where we get our ADP; please support this site)

XpertSports

Mock Draft Central

You know, you might even be able to use MyFantasyLeague.com. I'll have to check on that.

Compiler User Scheduled Mock Draft

Lets schedule our own mock people and see how this goes. If successful then we'll do more. This is for Compiler and Buddy users. I've set up a private mock at AntSports to be run on Tuesday July 11 at 9:00pm Eastern. Details:

League Size : 12

League Type : Free Mock Draft

Roster Size : 14

Starting Lineup : 1 QB 2 RB 2 WR 1 TE 1 PK 1 DT

Scoring System : Performance 1 Scoring

1 pt / 25 yards Rushing/Receiving TD = 6

1 pt / 50 yards Passing TD = 4

http://www.antsports.com/md/League_Home.asp?LID=6381

For all interested, post here with email and/or send me an email, and I will send you a note with the mock password and where to sign up.

I want 11 committed individuals plus 2-3 alternates. Only sign up if you know you can be online and ready to start at 9:00pm SHARP!

We can run some commentary here during and after the mock, plus discuss prepping the Compiler and running Buddy during the mock if anyone has any questions or issues.

Have a great weekend!

I will be interested in the mock draft....I will have to leave for work at around 11:30pm eastern time...will that be a problem....or do you think we can finish by then??

E-mail me at dolphins1@berkeleyelectric.net

thanks

dolphindan1

ps I sent an e-mail but forgot to out my e-mail address...sorry

Good stuff Dan. You're on the list and I sent you an email.

Alternates will get first crack at the next scheduled mock if we don't need them for this one.

1. Mike MacGregor

2. dolphindan1

3. Blaneyfan

4. Scalesse27

5. enjoi525

6. ric3125

7. SoloMatisse

8. Fantasyfreakny

9. Wildman

10. icecheeze

11. FantasyKing

12. Kilroy

UPDATE

We drafted through 10 rounds.

Here is the draft report.

Here are the rosters.

Hi Mike

I too would like to participate and will be there.

I've registered over at AntSports. I guess I need a password?

Thanks

Cheers

Yes, shoot me an email and I'll send you back the details.

I'm going to send out some emails to try to recruit some more people.

Yes, we're still on if we can get 12. I just got back to my computer so I'm responding to emails now. Send me one if you haven't already. Will update the list shortly.

I've added you two and sent the details by email, but let me know for sure if you are in or not.

Lets get some names to the board handles here. I assume Dan is DOLPHINS. Who is Seahawks and who is Skunks?

Sorry Mike something came up and had to go. Thanks

No problem Ric. Thanks for helping us get started. Here are links to the results:

UPDATE

Here are the rosters.

No problem Ric. Thanks for helping us get started. Here are links to the results:

UPDATE

Here are the rosters.

Sorry Mike I really wanted to be there but something came up with my son today....SORRY....I want to be involved in the next if possible....if you have another....

No worries. Things happen. I might work up a mailing list for people interested in future mocks to try to make the recruiting a little better.

Thanks again Mike

I screwed up with the CC/DB at first. I realized after the 3rd round that I was using the scoring for another league I am going to be drafting in. :thumbsup:

I really like it though after my first run with it. Nice to have all that info right there. I just have to practice and get more familiar with it.

Cheers

are you guys gonna do another mock? if so i'd be interested. i need to get back into the swing of things.... its getting close :mad:

are you guys gonna do another mock? if so i'd be interested. i need to get back into the swing of things.... its getting close :blink:

U Dub - I'm going to have to check my schedule the next few weeks. I'd like to have more if possible, but there wasn't as much interest for the last one as I would have hoped. I'm thinking about starting a mock draft interest mailing list to try to make recruiting easier. I'll post something with regards to that if it comes to fruition.

U Dub - I'm going to have to check my schedule the next few weeks. I'd like to have more if possible, but there wasn't as much interest for the last one as I would have hoped. I'm thinking about starting a mock draft interest mailing list to try to make recruiting easier. I'll post something with regards to that if it comes to fruition.

thanks for the reply, mike. i would definitely be up for that. how would i get added to the mailing list?

I'd like to get in on one as well - - just bought the compiler for the first time so checking it out, and would love to practice mock draft(s). I've got the 10th pick in my 12 team league, so I'd like to run a couple mocks and see what I'm looking at...We draft in Vegas August 26th, so have plenty of time!

Live from Highlands Ranch, CO

-SDC

I'm also very interested. Bought CC/DB recently, and really want some practice at using it during a draft

All right guys. Next Tuesday is not going to work for me (soccer game), but maybe Thursday. I'll grab your email addresses from forums database (make sure it is up to date), send out a note and make a new post this weekend trying to set one up.