Sign in to follow this  
Steel City Blues

SCB (swami of celetial bodies) team evaluations

Please note: This is my end result team rankings. Sometimes you can draft perfectly & simply become a victim of draft position.

Scale

A - (3.2 to 4.0)

B - (2.4 to 3.1)

C - (1.6 to 2.3)

D - (0.8 to 1.5)

Big Joc Strap

QB D (1.0)

Kurt Warner

David Carr

Billy Volek (95% chance he won't see the light of day by week 7.)

I'm a big fan of Kurt Warner this year, but he is very inconsistent from week to week & an injury concern. If you draft him this year you MUST have Leinert and/or a strong backup. Carr may not get 1TD each week and is only suited for a bye week fill in. Volek is a complete waste. I'm sorry to say when Kurt has an "off week", your LJ advantage is out the window. I'm afraid you will be very disappointed with your QB production this year. Good news is, if you make it to the SB, Kurt plays the 49ers making your team a dominating force. Good luck getting through week 15 vs. Denver.

RB A (3.8)

Larry Johnson

Chester Taylor

Deshaun Foster

Maurice Morris

Brandon Jacobs

Definitely the backbone of your team. This squad will dominate everyone else unless Chester gives way to Mewe and Foster breaks. IMO, you are have nothing to worry about. DeAngelo is going to be a special teamer this year & spot duty at RB. You are gold here.

WR & TE C (2.2)

Joey GoAway

TJ Housh

Donte Stallworth

Drew Bennett

Brandon Lloyd

Randy McMichael

Jerramy Stevens

Your WR should hold up well this season despite no true #1 FF starter. Play the matchups right and you won't lose much ground most weeks. If Galloway repeats last year's effort, your team won't miss a beat. McMichael & Stevens would be better if they didn't have the same bye week. Made you look didn't I? sike!

OVERALL GRADE: C (2.3)

You have tied your team's fate to Kurt Warner. As he goes, so does your squad which is a scary proposition. When he's on, you will still beat many more stable teams. Upgrade your QB through trade & you quickly move to a strong B.

Howie

QB B (2.8)

Drew Bledsoe

Brad Johnson

Drew is a nice option at QB this year. With TO, his severe dropoff in production last year should become an anomoly. He should be a steady producer for you. I've always liked Brad. Hard to say how Minny will develop this year. Could be a nice backup.

RB C (2.2)

Shaun Alexander

Reggie Bush

Kevan Barlow

Greg Jones

TJ Duckett

I have been the victim of SA envy for years. He is one of the few players I saw in college that I projected to be a FF star. Someone took him early according to ADP in his 1st season & I never had the opportunity to draft him in any league since. After SA, I have no idea of what your RB draft strategy was. Unless Bush beats out All Pro McAllister as the #1 RB (not likely) you are going to start a RBBC guy as your #2. If it weren't for SA, I'd give you a D - F grade here. I'm not sharing the love here.

WR & TE A (3.3)

Marvin Harrison

Javon Walker

Joe Horn

Keyshawn Johnson

Marty Booker

Michael Jenkins

Jason Witten

Dallas Clark

I really like what you've done with the WRs. Harrison is money. One of Javon Walker or Horn could bust, but you've got Meshawn who is an excellent #4. Witten & Clark will produce nicely for you.

OVERALL GRADE B (2.75)

No #2 RB is a big crutch. QB depth is a bit of a question mark, but shouldn't hurt you.

20 Server Menace

QB A (3.8)

Tom Brady

Jake Plummer

This is a terrific 1-2 QB combo. Plummer should hold off Cutler & produce well this year. Could be a starter on some FF teams here. Brady is money. Biggest concern is Branch holding out, but the way Brady spreads the ball around almost negates it.

RB B (2.6)

Ladanian Tomlinson

Tatum Bell

Deuce McAllister

Mewelde Moore

Priest Holmes

LT is gold & probably the #2 fantasy back in a PPR league. SA is awesome but won't break the TD record in back to back seasons. I don't see Tater as the #1 RB in Denver this season. He'd make an OK #3 with tremendous upside. Fortunately, you deftly snatched up McAllister. I think Deuce will play a bigger role on your squad. Mewe is a nice flier in case Chester fails, but could be almost as much of a wasted pick as Priest. (Note: If Priest plays this season & somehow regains the starting role, you are going to steam roll us.) Frankly your team's biggest concern is LT2's health. If LT falters, your team becomes a D to C grade. Your depth is blows chunks without Turner on your roster.

WR & TE A (3.6)

Randy Moss

Anquan Boldin

Lee Evans

Michael Clayton

Brandon Stokely

Heath Miller

Jermaine Wiggins

Just like the QB's you have an amazing 1-2 WR combo. Your 3-5 WR all have nice upside potential. One of them at least should pan out. This grade slipped a bit because Heath Miller won't catch many passes. On the bright side, his TD production should be very good with Bettis out of the picture. You will lose ground at TE most weeks unless he gets you a score.

OVERALL GRADE: A (3.3)

Your concern should be LT & McAllister's health. Also the chance of Bush dropping McAllister down to a RBBC role. Other than that, your team will be feared every week.

Unwashed Masses

QB B (3.0)

Trent Green

Chris Simms

Solid 1-2 tandem. Green is in for a solid season again. Simms is under rated & should step right in if Old Man Trent goes down for a few games.

RB B (2.8)

Portis

FWP

DeAngelo Williams

Mike Anderson

Verron Haynes

Michael Pittman

Portis & FWP should be fixtures for you. Not many questions surrounding these guys. Backing up Willie with Haynes was a good move. While I like going for guys with potential (DeAngelo, Anderson & Pittman), I'd get a starting #3 back before shooting for bench warmers. Anderson may split carries, but I see DeAngelo as a special teamer & spelling Foster this season. Pittman may get a few starts if Caddy gets a hangnail, but I don't see any more than 3 weeks production as Caddy will definitely take the job back when healthy. You really need one of Foster or Caddy to go down long term to upgrade your RB corp to an A.

WR & TE A (3.5)

Chad Johnson

Andre Johnson

Jerry Porter

Joe Jurevicius

Eric Parker

Amani Toomer

Gonzo

Chad Johnson may be the #1 WR this year with a healthy Carson Palmer. When our draft started back in March, there was more doubt. This could be a very good pick indeed. Andre is not my hero, but many feel he is primed for an explosion. Between Porter, JJ & Toomer (all guys I really like this year) you have a well rounded team here. I like the way you put it all together. I'm down on SD WR this year until we know what Rivers is made of. LT & Gates will benefit the most from this young kid. WR will suffer. Gonzo is a stud. I have concerns with him as noted in another thread, but he will still get enough to make him a top TE.

OVERALL GRADE: B (3.1)

You have stated you are very pleased with your RB depth. So, my opinion will not matter here. I still see this as your team weakness. You took Gonzo & WR over a #3 running back. It's a gamble that could pay off, but I wouldn't do it.

Solo's Union Matisse

QB B (3.1)

Marc Bulger

Phillip Rivers

Bark Brunell

Bulger is great, but will he be in one piece? Definitely some good firepower here. Brunell has nice potential with the new additions at WR, a solid TE & strong running game. He will be a better backup than most realize. Rivers is a complete unknown to me. He could do very well in that offense, but I think SD made a huge mistake in giving up Brees based upon the whole Rivers/Eli/Roethlisberger draft episode. The minor injury was just an excuse.

RB (3.4)

Ronnie Brown

Joseph Addai

Cedric Benson

Dominic Rhodes

Michael Turner

I love what you have done with the RBs. Miami is rising fast & good things are in store for Ronnie, CPep, Chambers & Co. Ronnie should also produce very well from a PPR standpoint. Chicago is going to find a way to make Benson the starter this season. Much like the Brees/Rivers or Travis Henry/Willis McGehee stories, Benson is going to get every opportunity to shine THIS YEAR. (I was dumb enough to think Thomas Jones would be drafted first & Benson make it back to me in the next round.) If that wasn't good enough, you landed BOTH Addai & Rhodes. You are swimming in top RB talent. Your grade will drop quickly to a C if I'm wrong about Thomas Jones as the starter & possible RBBC in Peyton land.

WR & TE C (2.0)

TO

Koren Robinson

Antonio Bryant

Eric Moulds

Antonio Gates

Gates helps to make up for your weak WRs. After TO, you are definitely in trouble here. Krob or Bryant are closer to #3 WR than weekly starters. Your #2/3 WR slots definitely show mortal wounds from drafting all those RBs & Gates. Joc may out produce you here. It ain't purdy.

OVERALL GRADE: B (2.8)

I really like your team, you just need to tighten up the WR position. Good news for you is, acquiring WR talent is usually pretty easy compared to needing RB help, and you are not far off.

Clash of the Titans

QB A (4.0)

Peyton Manning

Michael Vick

Ben Roethlisberger

Joc should be beating down your door to get Vick or Big Ben as insurance for his squad. Your QB stable is so strong, the biggest knock I can come up with is why you would use so many picks on QBs after drafting Peyton. Are you slyly positioning to move Peyton to make a big splash at RB?

RB D (1.0)

Tiki the Hut

Thomas Jones

Fred Taylor

Lendale White

Cedric Houston

Cedric Cobbs

WTF is going on here??? I love Tiki as a #1 as long as age doesn't catch up to him (31 years old) when most backs hit a wall shortly after hitting 30. Bandon Jacobs sure would look better than your other backups to backups. Good news for you is, Tiki should have at least one more good year in him, but recovery from injuries will be slower. After that, you have bubkis at RB. Fred Taylor is primed for the pasture. You'll be lucky to get a thousand yards combined from him this season, barely worth a bye week fill in. If I were coaching the Bears, Thomas Jones would be the starter, but as I stated earlier Benson will be the man this season. Lendale White is taking on a Bettis like role in Tenn while Brown is going to be the yardage monster (see FWP). Trouble is, Tennessee won't score many TDs this year. You'll probably get 350 yards and 5 TDs from him. Houston may get a chance to at least split carries. Cobbs, will polish the pine for at least a season. I don't think I've ever seen a team without a worthy #2 or #3 running back before. Like I stated earlier, maybe you are primed to trade for a RB.

WR & TE A (3.3)

Hines Ward

Donald Driver

Terry Glenn

Mark Clayton

Braylon Edwards (waste of roster space for at least 3/4 of the season unless you can put him on IR)

LJ Smith

Ward/Driver/Glenn should make for a very nice trio for you. Clayton is a good #4 with limited upside. Braylon is pretty much a wasted roster spot. LJ is a solid TE. He should be the #2 or 3 option in the Eagles passing attack. He will have every opportunity to be a good FF producer.

OVERALL RATING: B 2.8 (should be lower if I weighted your score for lack of RB)

Obviously, we have different opinions regarding certain RB battles. If I blew it & you are right, then your team is a top contender. Without a 2nd RB, you are going to flounder.

Da Bears

QB A (3.8)

Carson Palmer

Brett Favre

With this ranking, I'm assuming reports are accurate in that Palmer is ahead of schedule with his rehab & will be a fantasy star once more. Palmer could easily be the #1 FF producer if 100%. Brett Favre is back & ready for another year of high INTs & big plays. All in all, a nice #2 to have.

RB C (2.3)

Edge

Jamal Lewis

Ron Dayne

You should be in good shape at RB, but all of your guys have pretty big question marks. How well will Edge perform in AZ? Will Jamal Lewis return to glory, split carries or lose his job outright? Ron Dayne has been dubbed the starter, but he could lose his job to Tinker Bell or via trade. Any rumors still flying around regarding Chris Brown or TJ Duckett? Very iffy, but you might luck out & all three will be excellent options for you this year. Problem #2 with this squad is you have no depth or backups for your #1 guys. This has to be a concern.

WR & TE A (3.2)

Torry Holt

Rod Smith

Mushin Muhammad

Keenan McCardell

Roddy White

Arnaz Battle

Todd Heap

Pulled out a good WR/TE lineup Holt, Rod Smith & Mush are a nice combo. Heap may be the #2 TE this year. I think the sacrifice of backup RBs allowed you to build this strong squad.

OVERALL SCORE: B 3.1

Palmer will be a great bonus for you if back to 100%. I'd be shaking in my boots all off season with your RBs. You are one realistic demotion away from needing to make a move for another RB.

Ellisonb

QB A (3.4)

Matt Hasselbeck

Aaron Brooks

Brian Leftwich

You have two relistic starting options each week with Hassel & Brooks. Brooks may turn out to be a stud, but we saw what happened with Collins last season. Personally, I think Brooks will fare better. Leftwich is nice to have for added depth. You shouldn't have any worries about your QB situation this year.

RB A (3.4)

Lamont Jordan

Warrick Dunn

Curtis Martin

Duce Staley

Justin Fargas

Now that is a RB stable I like to see. CuMar is fading, so without his backup you may struggle a bit with a backup. Of course Staley may fill the #3 role for you depending upon Pittsburgh's ground game this year. He may take over the Bettis role & produce solid numbers. Fargas was a great pick to back up Jordan. Nice drafting.

WR & TE A (3.5)

Steve Smith

Santana Moss

Reggie Brown

Isaac Bruce

Ernest Wilford

Chris Cooley

Great WR/TE tandem here. Smith is a sweet #1 WR. We will see if Keyshawn cuts into his touches to bring him down to Earth a bit. Moss has #1 FF WR potential. Brown, Bruce, Wilford. You have the perfect mix of consistency & up side that I try to draft each year.

OVERALL RATING: A (3.4) :P

Let's just say if I could trade teams with anyone, it would be your team. Love the depth from top to bottom. 20 server menace could win out, but your team has the best balance.

Ace

QB C (2.0)

Daunte Culpepper

Jon Kitna

Could be genius, could be a complete bust. Pepper isn't supposed to start the season last I heard. Kitna will do great things, but turn the ball over inside the 25 on each side of the field enough to get a head coach fired. I'm hedging & giving you a C because both have big ? marks, but each has great potential. You could be in the crapper or producing well. If Culpepper starts week 1, then bump this up to a B (3.0)

RB A (3.2)

Steven Jackson

Willis McGahee

Frank Gore

Ryan Moats

Ladell Betts

Antowain Smith

Gore should be a nice bye week option even if he's part of a RBBC. Steven Jackson is primed to have a good season, but still isn't proven. McGahee, I've never liked him enough to draft him this early. The lousy Buffalo offense is a big part of it. I just don't see many scoring opportunities for him & frankly feel my 4th round back, Droughns will far out produce Willis. I can't complain too much about your squad. General concensus says you made the right picks here. I personally don't think your top 2 will produce as high as where they were picked. I am giving you more of a general consensus ranking than my personal opinion of the season in store. Plus I like your depth. Even Moats & Betts are 1 injury away of going gangbusters. Smith is a late round flier & DD makes it work because he is special when healthy. Still Smith could work out as trade bait.

WR & TE B (3.1)

Chris Chambers

Plaxico Burress

Derrick Mason

Matt Jones

Kellen Winslow

I knocked your rating down a bit due to the Winslow man love. I'm not feeling it. On their own, your WR combo of Chambers/Burress/Mason/Jones is definitely Grade A worthy. A #1 WR & two #2s plus Matt Jones could be big. (If Winslow produced like Gates did last year, give yourself a solid 3.6 here) Put away the rose colored glasses before you get too excited.

OVERALL GRADE: B 2.75

QB & TE are bringing my rating of your team down. If one of your QBs produce big & Winslow at least becomes a worthy starting TE, then you are doing much better than my grade. I'm sure you are very happy with your team. Others here seem to be :wub: more than me.

Grateful Parrot

QB B (2.9)

Eli Manning

Steve McNair

Solid QBs that should provide solid stats. Eli has a chance to shine for you. I like this tandem better than others with bigger question marks & yours has just as much up side.

RB B (3.0)

Rudi Johnson

Julius Jones

Corey Dillon

Chris Perry

Najeh Davenport

Very nice dependable RBs here. Not as much upside as other picks, but you have to like the solid production. I'm a bit worried about Dillon losing his heart to play at top tier level & he may lose his job to the rook over it. JJ should be entrenched as the starter. Many quibble that Barber should be the #1 back, but I don't think it will happen. I'd be more comfortable if you just had Barber or Maroney to ensure two starting tailbacks any given week. I'm not interested in Davenport. He has consistently disapointed too many times. If Ahman Green is out indefinitely, then you will have some value here.

WR D (1.2)

Darrell Jackson

Eddie Kennison

David Givens

Rod Gardner

Crumpler

Troupe

This lineup has trouble written all over it. DJ is a stud when healthy, but last I heard his knees aren't fit for an 80 year old in a wheel chair. Kennison is solid, but age & competition are about to catch up to him. Rod Gardner is boom or bust. Givens is not even one of my top choices for a #4 WR. I actually like Troupe as much as Crumpler this year. You have decent options at TE each week, but I'm guessing you will plug in Alge & forget about it.

OVERALL RATING: C (2.3)

You will need some help to earn a winning record. Your best players are unspectacular.

Yippie Skippy

QB D (1.3)

Jake Delhomme

Matt Leinart

Vince Young

Charlie Frye

Delhomme is better suited as a #2 FF QB. He should put up decent numbers for you, but definitely won't help you win many games. A couple of true rooks as your backup to a weak starter is not a good thing. You really need to hit the JP with one of your QB picks or luck out on the waiver wire.

RB A (3.3)

Cadillac Williams

Dominic Davis

Kevin Jones

Laurence Maroney

Marion Barber III

Bump this up to a 3.7 if DD is 100%. Your top 3 should produce well for you. Caddy is going to be a rock. DD's injuries (see Darrell Jackson above) without getting his backup is a bit :thumbsup: Going after your own backups should have been more of a priority than other team's #2. As far as backups go, you did land two nice ones in Barber & Maroney. Maroney has a better chance of taking over by the end of the season IMO, but Barber has much love in the FF realm too.

WR & TE B (2.5)

Roy Williams

Deion Branch

Nate Burleson

Robert Ferguson

Shockey

Vernon Davis

Let's assume Branch's contract gets resolved for your grade. If not, feel free to knock your WR/TE grade down to a D 1.4 points as you don't have a viable #3 if Branch holds out all season & a piss poor #2. Roy looks like $$$. Branch should be an OK #2 WR & Burleson is a stretch as a #3. Good news is you have Shockey. He will help more than many other players on this roster.

OVERALL GRADE: C (2.3)

You still need help at QB and WR. Your RBs should hold up pretty well depending upon DD's health. Too many ifs & needs all over the place. Team looks like a project to me.

well done.

I definately like the approach you took, and I find it interesting that even with your weighted style our grades are fairly similar.

Nice job overall though - thanks for the efforts. Always helpful to hear someone eval all the teams so far. A good overview.

:lol: - good analysis on each team. I like the way you used your ranking system also. Man that must have taken some time to do all that. Much appreciated - thank you.

P.S. - after my next two picks, I should move all the way up to a C+!

i really like the thought put into this and all the comments on each team...thanks for the compliments on my draft... great grading system

I definately like the approach you took, and I find it interesting that even with your weighted style our grades are fairly similar.

In a competitive league, every team should be fairly close. With a grade scale from 0.0 to 4.0, fractions of points make a big difference.

There are two stand out teams IMO & several other contenders will battle it out for the rest.

Grade A

Ellison (3.4)

Menace (3.3)

Grade B

Unwashed (3.1)

DaBears (3.1) I probably gave you too high a grade @ RB though. You could sink like a lead brick quickly.

Clash (2.8)

Solo (2.8)

Howie (2.75)

Ace (2.75)

Grade C

Joc (2.3) This can easily be fixed to make the team a solid B

GP (2.3)

Yippie (2.3)

Any of the B teams are primed to contend. Trades, busts, injuries & WW booms will all play a big part. Other than GP & Yippie, I think the rest are going to scrap it out pretty good. Joc is gonna come though & upgrade his QB somehow.

i really like the thought put into this and all the comments on each team...thanks for the compliments on my draft... great grading system

Don't get a big head. I'm still going to kick your arse! :wall:

Great job, Steel. Youve had a solid draft and youve been both diplomatic and objective with your analysis, and I appreciate that. We'll have plenty of time throughout the season to bust each other's chops once some of our teams begin to unravel..... :wall:

Jocularities! Jocularities!

Move yourself on up my list with that trade.

I knew you'd come through and secure yourself a consistent QB. I love Warner's potential, but he is so up and down from week to week it's sickening. The menace must be afraid of Branch's holdout affecting Brady's numbers. He seemed eager to unload Tom Tom.

Jocularities! Jocularities!

Move yourself on up my list with that trade.

I knew you'd come through and secure yourself a consistent QB. I love Warner's potential, but he is so up and down from week to week it's sickening. The menace must be afraid of Branch's holdout affecting Brady's numbers. He seemed eager to unload Tom Tom.

That deal is bunk and should be voted down by any sane person.

2 starters for a starter and bench warmer - what the fock is that? :dunno:

That deal is bunk and should be voted down by any sane person.

Wait a second....Doesn't genius delve into the realm that us of lesser intellect call "insanity" only to arise with a vision that us of only an average IQ are blind to? I believe Joc sees that this trade could really help his team.

I wasn't trying to rip him off. I purposefully look for trades that would help both teams so that they are more enticing and more likly to be accepted. I hope people's opinions aren't swayed too much by the prospect of how strong this deal could make my team. It has been my intension to deal Brady the day I drafted him and drafting Plummer only helped to solidify that plan. I never much cared for Brady, being a rival and all.

I have offered to trade Warner back to Joc's team for David Carr if the trade goes through. I don't want this action to ruin the year.

I guess the deal went through with this reply

Why I did it - Brady I like - Warner I like but what week will this "statue so many have said" will be guaranteed to get knocked out? I'm banking on a Warner injury (sad to say b/c i'm not a fan of that)

I also remember when I picked up chester taylor a couple years ago to fill in when Lewis was out and he didn't do squat, looked slow, had 0 td's in the 4 game starter role, and flat out didn't impress me.

On the other hand with Tatum Bell, I grew up in Tulsa - went to OSU games with Thurmal, and Barry as special teams/kickoff and love OK State. This guy had 8 proven td's last year with a 5.+ average per carry. Say what you will but he's done more than Foster plus it's a guy I want to root for!

BTW - Taylor was riding the :wub: on Jocstrap's roster because I have Foster!

BTW- hasn't Brandon Jacobs also scored both preseason games :o

BTW- I like the possible long td's a Tatum can score with his sub 4.4 forty - fastest in nfl rb status!

Guy's I'm on the trade committee in my big money league - I take these things very seriously and don't want people to think it's a bogus trade. You can read my response here and on the yahoo board. I can personally justify it, and i'm happy for it. Do you think I want to lose to you guys - NO.

Scooter - I almost can see your point - almost! :blink: But see my side also.

Don't get mad when my OK State boy outrushes the overhiped Tayor! :dunno:

ah, it's fine. I was just being a whiney biznotch.

I still think joc got anally raped with a double fisted d!ldo here, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Those berry winecoolers and fuzzy navels got you a lil' moody last night eh:)!