Sign in to follow this  
Bad_Intentions

Strategy for drafting in slots 1-4

I've been doing some mocks the past couple weeks and I find when I start off anywhere between slots 1-4 I find that I get the best team by drafting: RB, WR, WR, RB, QB

Anyone else notice the same thing or have any other strategies for drafting out of these spots.

The RB class is extremly thin this year...guys like Ronnie Brown are going in the 1st round.

i drafted from 3 and got the same results:

1.03 rb alexandar

2.10 wr c johnson

3.03 wr t holt (a gift resulting from an early qb run)

4.10 rb dillon

5.03 qb blesoe

with 6 & 7 took the chicago rbs.

i feel very confident about this team.

I like it, I dont know if I would take a QB in the fifth, i would probably go with more depth at RB, or in my league we start 3 WRs so thats a possibility. If a top RB fell in the second or the third i would adapt is my only situation i would adapt.

I like it, I dont know if I would take a QB in the fifth, i would probably go with more depth at RB, or in my league we start 3 WRs so thats a possibility. If a top RB fell in the second or the third i would adapt is my only situation i would adapt.

in the fifth round, all the rbs are reaches and there are tons of wrs in the same tier that will be there in the 6th+, so a quality qb that you have a hunch on is a good move in my opinion. it just seams to be a more valued selection.

I like that team. Now you've got me thinking. I've drawn the 1 spot in a 10 team redraft, standard scoring, no ppr. After LJ, I was thinking I'd probably land Harrison, Fitz or Moss at 20, followed by J.Lewis at 21. I'll probably stick to it, unless something unexpected happens early in the draft. RBs are going to go quick in this league (this is the 2nd year of a league I do at work, and I expect a much more competitive draft this year).

I like that team. Now you've got me thinking. I've drawn the 1 spot in a 10 team redraft, standard scoring, no ppr. After LJ, I was thinking I'd probably land Harrison, Fitz or Moss at 20, followed by J.Lewis at 21. I'll probably stick to it, unless something unexpected happens early in the draft. RBs are going to go quick in this league (this is the 2nd year of a league I do at work, and I expect a much more competitive draft this year).

Nate, you like Lewis over RB's like KJ, Dillon, Droughns, and FWP? I have the #1 spot in a 12 team redraft and I'm planning on a similar strategy. LJ at #1, and possible two WR's at #24/#25 if two of the eight "stud WR's" fall to me or one of them and then one of the above RB's. It's a RB heavy league, so I'm not sure about only drafting one RB with my top three picks being at the #1 spot.

i just took part in a somewhat sloppy mock today in a 12 teamer...

i drafted from the fourth position

1 barber RB

2 boldin WR

3 droughens RB

4 branch WR

5 heap TE

6 foster RB

7 bledsoe QB

8 williams RB the rookie

9 coles WR

10 jags DEF

the first 10 rounds.

That was my exact plan for this year's draft.

I drafted out of the number 2 spot and my picks ended up the following: (Our league starts 2QB, 2RB, 3WR, TE, K, 2DEF, WR/RB FLEX)

1.02 Larry Johnson

2.11 Larry Fitzgerald

3.02 Reggie Wayne

4.11 Chester Taylor

5.02 Trent Green

6.11 David Carr

7.02 Carolina

8.11 Rod Smith

9.02 Reggie Brown

10.11 Frank Gore

11.02 Kellen Winslow Jr.

12.11 Marion Barber III

13.02 NY Giants

14.11 Chad Jackson

15.02 Mike Anderson

16.11 Ryan Moats

17.02 Dee Brown

18.11 Josh Brown

For our league there was some great value that I picked up in certain rounds (pretty much rounds 8-12). Especially in leagues where you only have to start one QB, it is a very effective strategy to go RB, WR, WR, RB, QB.

I had this strategy in mind, but really all i was doing was taking the best available player.

After LJ, I was thinking I'd probably land Harrison, Fitz or Moss at 20, followed by J.Lewis at 21. I'll probably stick to it, unless something unexpected happens early in the draft. RBs are going to go quick in this league (this is the 2nd year of a league I do at work, and I expect a much more competitive draft this year).

This is interesting...in a ten team league, it may make sense to land two of Harrison, Moss, Fitzgerald, Holt, and possibly Chad Johnson at picks 2.10 and 3.01 (a gift if you get CJ, but it has happened as his ADP is about 2.07 in 10-teamers per http://www.antsports.com/adp.asp results in high-performance leagues). Additionally, you'll be choosing from a group of RB's who all come with relatively modest expectations at 2.01 (all guaranteed top performers will be long gone), so grabbing two top WR's could still potentially leave you with a choice of the following at 4.10: Droughns (ADP ~ 4.08), Dunn (ADP ~ 4.10), Bell (ADP ~ 5.03), Dillon (ADP ~ 5.03); all of whom could meet or exceed Jamal Lewis's output (Dillon being my least favorite of that group).

Beyond that, you should have a strong choice of QB's with the 5.01 pick. I think this strategy could work in ten-team leagues that are excessively RB heavy for the first 20 picks (like 16/20 or more)

i drafted from 3 and got the same results:

1.03 rb alexandar

2.10 wr c johnson

3.03 wr t holt (a gift resulting from an early qb run)

4.10 rb dillon

5.03 qb blesoe

with 6 & 7 took the chicago rbs.

i feel very confident about this team.

You should it's very solid... especially if you only start 2 Wr's with a flex... then you're set...

Nate, you like Lewis over RB's like KJ, Dillon, Droughns, and FWP? I have the #1 spot in a 12 team redraft and I'm planning on a similar strategy. LJ at #1, and possible two WR's at #24/#25 if two of the eight "stud WR's" fall to me or one of them and then one of the above RB's. It's a RB heavy league, so I'm not sure about only drafting one RB with my top three picks being at the #1 spot.

Lewis is looking better and better to me every day. I will not drink the KJ Kool-Aid this year. I wasted a 2nd rounder on him last year and paid and paid and paid. I like Dillon, but not that early- he may be on the back 9, and the Pats are certain to work Maroney into the offense sooner than later. I'd like to land Droughns on draft day, but not over Jamal. Fast Willie is appealing a bit later in the draft, lack of goal line carries devalues him slightly in my eyes.

Most people have written Lewis off after last season. I haven't. He's relatively young and year removed from the incarceration and gimpy ankle. McNair, Mason and Heap are going to make a world of difference to Jamal this year. No more 8 man fronts every game. Also, Mike Anderson strikes me as nothing more than veteran insurance. He will not affect Lewis' fortunes.