Sign in to follow this  
SayChowda

Deion Branch news re: Traded to Seattle

well, a second rounder is warrented for branch if hes asking for reasonable money. but hes not.

I'd say because of the cash hes asking hes only worth a 3rd or a 4th rounder (if they can sign him)

of course, if he was willing to settle for reasonable money, the deal would be done and we'd not be talking about this.....

Actually, it's the other way around. If the Pats were willing to offer reasonable money, the deal would be done and we wouldn't be talking about this.

The $4 million signing bonus was all that was GUARANTEED. After taxes, union dues, and agent fees that is about $2 million. That is a lowball offer no matter how ya spin it. I'll take the argument that he DESERVES more any day of the week. He is in the prime of his career, clearly the best at his position, and oh he has been a major contributor to the Pats success.

Interestingly, the Pats have this set up very frugally. This contract offer, with the $3 million bonus in 2007, is basically for the exact same $$ as if he played through his contract this year, and signed the franchise tag offer next year. He'd get about another million upfront this year if he signed the "biggest contract of his life."

*Minny makes a lot of sense.

*As for Pittsburgh this is the second time I have seen their name linked with Branch. As far as pure football goes a Ward-Branch combo would be nasty. That's a great 1-2 punch that could really cause defenses a lot of trouble. Yet, it does seem out of character for the Steelers to have that much money tied up in two WRs as well as dealing a future pick. Add in the fact that they also used a #1 on a WR this year and the Branch to Pittsburgh rumor becomes that much more curious.

As a Steeler fan, I'd love to see it happen. If Pitt could trade Santonio Holmes, the first round and first WR taken in this years draft along with their expected late first round pick next draft, I think the Steelers would do it.

It also should be recognized that the Steelers have motive to disrupt the NE organization any way they can.

Steelers signed their best WR this time last year to a new contrat when Ward had a year remaining on his.

That worked out pretty well.

When the Steelers are willing to pay more than you are it is time to check yourself Pat fans and anyone who thinks this guy doesn't deserve more than what NE is trying to force on him.

As a Steeler fan, I'd love to see it happen. If Pitt could trade Santonio Holmes, the first round and first WR taken in this years draft along with their expected late first round pick next draft, I think the Steelers would do it.

It also should be recognized that the Steelers have motive to disrupt the NE organization any way they can.

Steelers signed their best WR this time last year to a new contrat when Ward had a year remaining on his.

When the Steelers are willing to pay more than you are it is time to check yourself Pat fans and anyone who thinks this guy doesn't deserve more than what NE is trying to force on him.

This is not the Steelers MO and I doubt they would do the deal just to stick it to NE. They are better than that. I really don't see how Branch fits into the Steelers scheme of things at all. They can easily make due with what they have. I really don't see anything happening with the Steelers. I call BS.

Hopefully the Pats will take your advice because their current business model is obviously not working.

The bottomline is that no matter how good anyone thinks Branch is in the Patriots system he's only going to be around a 1,000 yard 5 Td WR. That's not a knock on Branch but it's how the Pats play football. Branch will probably never get a better opportunity to put up big numbers than last year. The Pats D was decimated by injuries which forced them to throw so much that Brady lead the league in yardage. Givens and Brown (as well as every RB they started the season with) were hurt for decent periods of time and the rest of their WRs were garbage. Yet, even in that scenario Branch could not crack 1,000 yards. This was due to two reasons. First and foremost as stated above it's how the Patriots play offense and that's not going to change. Secondly, because he has physical limitations defenses that double covered him had success taking him out of games. With his size that's another thing that's not going to change.

Therefore it makes zero sense for the Pats to pay Branch big money if they are not going to use him like a traditional #1. That's just not smart business. They are far better off using their money on Brady, the O line or their front seven. In Branch's defense I fully understand his frustration. He probably feels that in another offense he could put up much bigger numbers which would lead to a bigger contract. Unfortunately for him he's still under contract with the Pats and until he isn't his options are limited. That's why there's a stalemate here. Hopefull this can get resolved because the Pats are thin at WR and are far better with Branch. Yet, it doesn't help them long term if they tie up big money on a player that plays a position that they don't use like many other NFL teams.

I can settle it all......HE SOULD COME TO THE BEARS!!!! our WR core NEEDS guy like him....ive been saying it ever since i heard he was not happy in the beggining of training camp.....our WR's are pathetic!!!!.....I will GLADLEY take branch on the bears!

I can settle it all......HE SOULD COME TO THE BEARS!!!! our WR core NEEDS guy like him....ive been saying it ever since i heard he was not happy in the beggining of training camp.....our WR's are pathetic!!!!.....I will GLADLEY take branch on the bears!

Angelo said he was interested in Branch, but he also said the Pats were never serious about trading him. They were just trying to see what his market value was....

It would be great if that happened.....id take him off the pats hands in a hartbeat. Alot of people are blaming grossman...but if u have seen the bears preseason games, its not really grossman at all, i mean he makes mistakes, but look at how many extreamly weel thrown ball have been droped by bears recivers, its pathetic.....bring a vetreran with 3 superbowl rings in here, and i think alot of our probloms will fade away.

bring a vetreran with 3 superbowl rings in here, and i think alot of our probloms will fade away.

Tom Brady????

Branch only has two rings

Calling a guy with 3 Super Bowl rings an "idiot?" :( :dunno:

Well, Branch is definitely a #1 WR and I think NE gave him #1 money. but he's not a top end #1.

hes only put up top end numbers (1000 yds receiving) one time in his career. (this last year) and he has shown durability issues.

caving in to him will go completely against the philosophy of the team which is 'TEAM first, individuals SECOND'

the offer made to Branch is more than fair, and I dont think branch will find a better deal elsewhere. If he could, he'd be gone already. Why would any team that really wants him let him sit this long?

Branch will cave, or his agent will get canned and he'll be in a pats uniform before game 3 of the season.

Well, Branch is definitely a #1 WR and I think NE gave him #1 money. but he's not a top end #1.

hes only put up top end numbers (1000 yds receiving) one time in his career. (this last year) and he has shown durability issues.

caving in to him will go completely against the philosophy of the team which is 'TEAM first, individuals SECOND'

the offer made to Branch is more than fair, and I dont think branch will find a better deal elsewhere. If he could, he'd be gone already. Why would any team that really wants him let him sit this long?

Branch will cave, or his agent will get canned and he'll be in a pats uniform before game 3 of the season.

I think some teams would have given a better offer than the Pats, however teams were not willing to put up the money and a first round pick... its a double wammy for a team.

However I do think the offer the Pats gave was fair.

I think that Branh's agent told him he would get more money if he held out becasue the Pats are below the cap and they had room to pay more. The Pats called the bluff, and we will see Branch back in practice next week.

I think some teams would have given a better offer than the Pats, however teams were not willing to put up the money and a first round pick... its a double wammy for a team.

However I do think the offer the Pats gave was fair.

I think that Branh's agent told him he would get more money if he held out becasue the Pats are below the cap and they had room to pay more. The Pats called the bluff, and we will see Branch back in practice next week.

:rolleyes:

What good woudl it do with no QB? Grossman is a joke!!!

espn reports the jets have made an offer, along with an unnamed NFC team, for branch's services...compensation would still have to be worked out with the pats...

I'm just afraid that the Jets offered up a 1st round draft pick. No way do I give up a #1 for Branch. Although he's very good and very talented, I'd rather have the pick, and keep Coles the #1 and Cotchery the #2. I actually like that tandem very much. Of course it would be nice to get Branch, but not for such a high pick.

espn reports the jets have made an offer, along with an unnamed NFC team, for branch's services...compensation would still have to be worked out with the pats...

it's the Seahawks.

From Boston .com

Holdout wide receiver Deion Branch has received two acceptable contract

offers, from the Jets and Seahawks, and those teams are now negotiating

with the Patriots on a trade.

Late last week, the Patriots gave Branch permission to negotiate a deal

with another team, but have a deadline of 4 p.m. today.

Branch, unhappy with his contract, has been a holdout for all of the

preseason.

One league source said it was unlikely that the Pats would make a deal

within the division (although they did trade Drew Bledsoe to the

Bills).

If the Patriots don't like the trade offers from the Jets or Seahawks,

they can reject them and keep Branch.

However, the word from Branch's camp is that he could stay out as long

as mid-November if the Pats don't come up with a new deal.

it's the Seahawks.

From Boston .com

The Seahawks would be a front runner as I don't see Belichick giving Mangini another weapon within the division. With the Bledsoe trade, the Pats never were concerned about his skills or anything else about the Bills.

I may be wrong, but I believe it was a lowball offer with the intentions that they would come back with a counteroffer and they would meet in the middle, a la a normal contract negotiation. They never countered though which shocked and maybe pissed off the Pats.

This agent does not have a big name client and is trying to make a splash with Deion. I'm not saying it's the agent's fault because supposedly Deion believes he was screwed with his original contract, but I think dumping the agent is what needs to be done here.

I think dumping the agent is what needs to be done here.

That has been the consensus among former players following the team. The agent has not really done Branch a service. The Pats may use that to their advantage by rejecting the trade offers and putting the heat on Branch.

Although I agree that the Pats are unlikely to trade Branch to a division opponent, it seems like they could get a much better draft pick if he's traded to the Jets, as opposed to Seattle.

Of course, that's assuming that both teams offered the same thing (such as a 1st round pick, or a 2nd round pick). Obviously, it's likely that the Jets will be picking earlier than Seattle in each round of next year's draft, though nothing is guaranteed.

just FYI:

obviously it's all rumors and speculation right now, but there are reports that MIN is in the mix here too (along with NYJ and SEA).

Why is Seattle involved? Already have DJax, Burly, Engram. Is this a sign that DJax's injury is worse and will be keeping him out a while?? (God I hope not, DJax owner)

Either team will likely be offering only a second rounder and a player. I predict McCareins and Burleson.

Jeez, I just don't see Branch as being worth that much. Is he better than McCairens and Burlseon, sure. Is he THAT much better than them? I'm not so sure. He's definitely a better fit in Seattle IMO. They are a team obviously primed to make a run at a title and he could be a piece to the puzzle. The Jets are a rebuilding franchise with a young o-line, a QB with major durability concerns, and run stopping needs in the front 7. Branch's talents would be wasted there right away, and giving up picks to get him would be hindering your progress IMO. I don't care if he stays with the Pats or not, I just hope the jets are smart enough to stay away.

Djax is slow coming back and is injury prone... Burelson is WAY overrated... Engram is a possession WR only...

Jeez, I just don't see Branch as being worth that much. Is he better than McCairens and Burlseon, sure. Is he THAT much better than them? I'm not so sure. He's definitely a better fit in Seattle IMO. They are a team obviously primed to make a run at a title and he could be a piece to the puzzle. The Jets are a rebuilding franchise with a young o-line, a QB with major durability concerns, and run stopping needs in the front 7. Branch's talents would be wasted there right away, and giving up picks to get him would be hindering your progress IMO. I don't care if he stays with the Pats or not, I just hope the jets are smart enough to stay away.

i completely agree.

in fact, dealing Branch within the division (to NYJ) would only help NE maintian their recent dominance in the East. Mangini is rebuilding... you don't make an undersized WR who's never played a full season a "cornerstone" of that rebuilding.

espn radio just said the pats are asking for TWO #1 picks for branch...

That's ridiculous. They won't even get a single 1st round pick. Guess Branch will remain a Patriot.

so lets say branch gets traded for a #1 pick or just sit out for the most of the season. does that mean caldwell will be the #1 receiver? or troy brown? either one worth picking up as of right now?

espn radio just said the pats are asking for TWO #1 picks for branch...

No kidding, isn't that just frickin insane? I mean TO went for a second rounder a few years ago in about the same situation, he wasn't going to play in SF and they had to deal him somewhere. Branch isn't anywhere in the same league as the top 10 WR's in the league and if he didn't have Brady throwing the ball he would probably be fighting for a roster spot each preseason.

This guy really has an overinflated sense of self worth, but in his defense he has performed at a level deserving more money. Not that much though.

I hope that he sits out the whole season and walks. It would be fun to watch Brady deal with Caldwell as his #2 and just miss the playoffs or something. I understand how they are the model franchise now, but they are some cheap bastards and rarely take care of their own.

No kidding, isn't that just frickin insane? I mean TO went for a second rounder a few years ago in about the same situation, he wasn't going to play in SF and they had to deal him somewhere. Branch isn't anywhere in the same league as the top 10 WR's in the league and if he didn't have Brady throwing the ball he would probably be fighting for a roster spot each preseason.

This guy really has an overinflated sense of self worth, but in his defense he has performed at a level deserving more money. Not that much though.

I hope that he sits out the whole season and walks. It would be fun to watch Brady deal with Caldwell as his #2 and just miss the playoffs or something. I understand how they are the model franchise now, but they are some cheap bastards and rarely take care of their own.

The longest Branch could sit out is until Week 10. If he sits out longer than that, then he doesn't get credit for the last year of his contract, meaning he'd still have one year left.

So, although he could sit out a little over half of the year, he won't sit out the entire year unless he and his agent are really dumb.

Actually, it's the other way around. If the Pats were willing to offer reasonable money, the deal would be done and we wouldn't be talking about this.

The $4 million signing bonus was all that was GUARANTEED. After taxes, union dues, and agent fees that is about $2 million. That is a lowball offer no matter how ya spin it. I'll take the argument that he DESERVES more any day of the week. He is in the prime of his career, clearly the best at his position, and oh he has been a major contributor to the Pats success.

Interestingly, the Pats have this set up very frugally. This contract offer, with the $3 million bonus in 2007, is basically for the exact same $$ as if he played through his contract this year, and signed the franchise tag offer next year. He'd get about another million upfront this year if he signed the "biggest contract of his life."

How much did he get paid in 2004 when he sat on the :doublethumbsup: from week 9 => ?

I'd say 4 mil guarenteed is great considering he pretty much stole whatever he got in his last contract.

Branch, GS:

2002 - 7

2003 - 11

2004 - 9

Then 2005 he plays 15 games and he's worth #1 WR money?

Maybe he was really, really, really exceptional in those limited starts though...

489/2

803/3

454/4

998/5

If you want Holt money, you gotta put up Holt #s. When Branch puts together a 16 game, 1400/10 season I'll feel sorry for him "only" getting 4 million guarenteed.

So when is the time to push the "panic" button on Branch if you drafted him? I was thinking that by week 1, if he has not reported or has been traded, I am going to cut my losses and drop him. Any thoughts???

WTF, the patriots are under the cap, but decide on principle to not pay him. i wonder who this sounds like? and we know how that worked out... :thumbsup:

but seriously, ben watson's value is going through the roof now :thumbsdown:

John Clayton just said on the four letter that NE wants two number 1's for Branch.... Branch ain't going anywhere. They appear to have strung him. He will sit the season or he will eat it and play.

WTF, the patriots are under the cap, but decide on principle to not pay him. i wonder who this sounds like? and we know how that worked out... :(

but seriously, ben watson's value is going through the roof now :dunno:

Just cuz they are under the cap, does that mean they bow down to every smuck that wants his contract renewed?

No fkn way man, thats some SERIOUS ###### your dealing with when ya do that.

Watson was ALREADY a stud B4 this happened, the problem was he got hurt his 1st yr ( very early), his 2nd yr was marred by OL injury problems.

That guy is a beast.