Sign in to follow this  
theplaymaker

Ask The Playmaker

going back and forth on a few choices this week, always nice to get an outside opinion...Deshaun foster against a d he tore up last year or thomas jones against the pack? Also, Randy McMichael or Ben Watson? I see all this love for watson and he has a chance to do really good, i'm just thinking mcmichael might be more reliable... :banana:

So what's the verdict playmaker?

okay, I have an interesting question and figure I could use an opinion.

we start 2 RB's.

Standard fantasy scoring.

my first RB is Tomlinson who is a must start every week.

my other RBs:

Julius Jones Vs Jacksonville (ouch)

Reggie Bush Vs Cleveland

Kevin Barlow Vs Tennessee.

Julius Jones is my #2, but against such a physical defense, I'm not sure he'll have a great game against them, so I thought it may be worth my while to look into playing the matchup instead.

Reggie Bush plays what was a very weak team against the run last season in Cleveland.

I know Cleveland acquired Ted Washington to help the run, and I think he will do the job, but, I feel this will only close up the inside running game. I would expect bush to use his speed to run wide on them or take dump off passes to burn them in the secondary.

I know hes a rookie and this is a bit of a risk, but I'm considering this option based on who they are playing.

Barlow also remains an option against another weak defense in Tennessee, but I think he is by far an inferior talent to bush and Jones.

so if you have good advice, I'd like to hear it.

One of the things about opening week of the NFL season is matchups are really hard to decipher because nobody really knows anything yet. All the lines are tight in vegas because nobody is taking bets. The Reggie Bush situatuation will be interesting to watch as it unfolds but rolling the dice on him when he hasn't played a single NFL down in his life is a longshot. Fantasy Football is all about opportunity. If you give yourself the best opportunity to put up the most points from what you have on your roster every week then you will be one the leaders in your league. Taking chances on a certain guy or a certain situation can pay off and hell, it makes it fun so everybody does it. But a starting RB's (which Bush is not) is better bet than a non-starter. And rookie player (which Bush is) are always a risk. The best rookies every season put up stats that would be mediocre for most veterans.

Jones is a better start. That said Barber is going to take a much bigger role in the Dallas offense this season so he is not a lock every week. But he certainly is the player that has better opportunity going into this week.

Thanks playmaker!

I had put in Keyshawn before I saw they took Holt off the inj report, then reversed that. Hope he's ok.

Gates actually was my 3rd pick, Chester I got in the 4th.. which was a lot better than I thought I'd get.

Will take your advice and not do any fancy plays like C. Brown and F. Gore out of the gate.. this time tomorrow I'll have a good idea if I made a mistake ;)

Playmaker:

Hope life is good.

CTaylor vs. WASH

or

Tjones vs. GB

Leaning toward TJones.

Also, for some reason, I drafted Wayne over Harrison. I think that I messed up but I have a vibe that Wayne is due to elevate even higher this year. How bad a choice?

Thanks

Thanks playmaker!

I had put in Keyshawn before I saw they took Holt off the inj report, then reversed that. Hope he's ok.

Gates actually was my 3rd pick, Chester I got in the 4th.. which was a lot better than I thought I'd get.

Will take your advice and not do any fancy plays like C. Brown and F. Gore out of the gate.. this time tomorrow I'll have a good idea if I made a mistake ;)

Hey good luck this week. and remember, it easy to sound good when giving advice, just say something decisive and back it up with a few stats and people buy it. Gurus will say alot about the upcoming week but not much about how their advice turned out the week before. You gotta get your own system of chewing through the info and making sound desicions. i could be wrong this time but i also am a fanatical ff player. If you want some pointers then email me.

Playmaker:

Hope life is good.

CTaylor vs. WASH

or

Tjones vs. GB

Leaning toward TJones.

Also, for some reason, I drafted Wayne over Harrison. I think that I messed up but I have a vibe that Wayne is due to elevate even higher this year. How bad a choice?

Thanks

kind of toss up. Taylor so far has looked like he will be this year's Reuban Droughns (tons of carries and no TD's) but Minnesota has a good line and the preseason is called the preseason casue it ain't the real thing.

seems like jones got the starting job less because he earned it but more because Benson screwed up and the coach had to set an example, especially since he is not a very popular guy in the clubhouse.

Taylor has 3 things going against him. 1. playing for a new team 2. playing for a team with a new coach 3. playing in a new role as the centerpiece of the offense you gotta allow time for the learning curve. it took droughns about 12 weeks before he began to look comfortable in Cleveland.

I got a team with both and I'm playing jones. But I also took Taylor in the 3rd round in my big money league while Jones was still on the board because i believe taylor can be a top 10 back this year. It's a toss up. Go with who you feel better about and don't look back.

OK... maybe I'm overanalyzing here, but here's what I'm thinking.

S.Jackson: supposed to be really good this year, but I'm not totally sold on him. If their def is bad, they could still end up passing more than running. I think Denver will score on them this week.

R.Brown: Like him, but playing Steelers... don't like that so much.

R.Bush: Normally wouldn't start him in week one over the other two, but I've got a hunch the Saints will want to showcase him in their opener.

What do you all think? Thanks for the help. I'll answer yours.

Steven Jackson is the better start for several reasons.

Jackson is playing a weaker defense (although not by much)

Jackson is playing at home

Last year the Rams racked up 400+ yds of offense against the Broncos

I was planning on starting Derrick Mason, but have learned that he is Questionable for week 1 due to a thigh injury. Should I still start him? My other WR's that I am planning on starting are Rod smith and Larry Fitzgerald. My other options are Troy Williamson and Cedrick Wilson, but wanted to see what they did in the forst week or so before I started them.

Also, As far as RB's...I was planning on starting Frank Gore and Ronnie Brown? I also have Wali Lundy. Should I start Wali instead of one my other two?

Your he is SO appreciated!!!

Hey there Playmaker.

I have Deuce McAllister as a back up to Brian Westbrook and Rudi Johnson. I am wondering if he is worth keeping around or should I try to trade him while he has some name value left. I could use a solid number 2 receiver.

I also have Marion Barber on the roster.

Thanks

Marc Bulger vs DEN or Donovan Mcnabb vs HOU

Mike Bell vs STL or Chester Taylor vs WAS or Chris Brown vs NYJ

thanks playmaker

Marc Bulger vs DEN or Donovan Mcnabb vs HOU

Mike Bell vs STL or Chester Taylor vs WAS or Chris Brown vs NYJ

thanks playmaker

McNabb is playing away and his best wr has only been on the team a little over a week. Brown has potential but is still unproven. Westbrook is still hurting which isn't good for a team that was last in rushing last year, the Rams are likely to cheat the pass if the eagles can't run the ball making it a long day for McNabb.

Bulger is playing at home and last year they racked up 400+ yds against the broncos. Expect some growning pains under the new coach and with a new offense. But the Rams play well on turf, especially at home so Bulger is better play.

I like Bell a lot but rememer he is still a rookie so it's best to wait before playing him. Besides, he is not even a sure start. Cedric Cobbs might start the darn game.

Taylor has looked very mediocre so far but the vikings are committed to the run and committed to taylor. They brought in richardson whose blocking made holmes and larry johnson superstars so right now stick with taylor. the minnesota line hasn't played as well as they are supposed to be but talyor will get plenty of work and bell micght start, he might share carries, he might sit on the bench.

Hey there Playmaker.

I have Deuce McAllister as a back up to Brian Westbrook and Rudi Johnson. I am wondering if he is worth keeping around or should I try to trade him while he has some name value left. I could use a solid number 2 receiver.

I also have Marion Barber on the roster.

Thanks

It depends on who you can get and who yuo have on your roster

Any Input? Start 3RBs standard scoring...

Droughns

Westbrk

R. Brown

L. Jordan

Thks...

http://www.fftodayforums.com/forum/index.p...howtopic=229496

You have some good backs. Jordan would normally be a start but the chargers were ranked 1st against the run last year.

The dolphins are sure looking like a team that is coming together and brown should be solid.

Westbrook is a better start than droughns since he is good to go now.

Droughns

Westbrk

R. Brown

L. Jordan

Thks...

You have some good backs. Jordan would normally be a start but the chargers were ranked 1st against the run last year.

The dolphins are sure looking like a team that is coming together and brown should be solid.

Droughns

Westbrk

R. Brown

L. Jordan

Thks...

Playmaker..can you help??

I have two questions....

1. In my first league I have starting RB of Clinton Portis and Edge.....my backup is Kevin Jones. Do I start Portis or bench him and put in Jones.....HOWEVER.....Brian Westbrook is still on waivers and I could drop Jones and pick up westbrook and start him over Portis....any suggestions?

2. My 2nd league I have Portis starting along side Rudi. Do I sit portis and start Willie Parker or Dominic Rhodes?

thanks in advance.

Playmaker..can you help??

I have two questions....

1. In my first league I have starting RB of Clinton Portis and Edge.....my backup is Kevin Jones. Do I start Portis or bench him and put in Jones.....HOWEVER.....Brian Westbrook is still on waivers and I could drop Jones and pick up westbrook and start him over Portis....any suggestions?

2. My 2nd league I have Portis starting along side Rudi. Do I sit portis and start Willie Parker or Dominic Rhodes?

thanks in advance.

Portis has an injury that is the type that can linger for a long time. The fact that Duckett is in Washington may signal that Gibbs is planning to go with a bruising running back kind of like Riggins and Byner. Oh yeah, he took both guys to a superbowl victory.

Jones and Edge are the better starts, not so much of Portis' standing on the depth chart but because he is less than 100%.

Rhodes has been the better ball carrier but addai is a better blocker so they probably will platoon.

Parker and Rudi should see more carries which and more chances to score.

If you're still taking questions please have a look at mine, the league info and my starters are listed on the second post. Thanks.

My question

A guy in my league wants T. Jones bad. I'm a Bears fan so I love T. Jones but think he will be splitting a lot of carries with Benson this year. I mainly drafted him expecting him to have a big day against GB this week and then using him as trade bate. On paper this looks like a great deal for me, but my heart (which loves TJ says NOW WAY). Advice is appreciated and if you leave a link I will answer yours. Thanks

A little more info here. 10 team league. We start one qb, one rb, one wr, three flex players, te, k, 3 defensive players.

My Starters (penciled in):

Hasselbeck

Fitzgerald

S. Alexander

T. Jones

C. Taylor

K. Jones

c. Cooley

R. Gould

Defense:

Donnie Edwards

Lantz Briggs

Nate Clements

Sounds like you already know what you should do but want to hear something that will make you feel better about it.

As you suspect, it would be a good idea to trade Jones to upgrade somewhere else. Your other three backs are entrenched starters making Jones expendable. The fact that you only start one RB is all the more reason to get rid of one back. Besides, you were intending to det rid of him anyway when you drafted him so if you go through with your plan it will give you an idea of how sound your strategy was. It will help you come next year at draft time.

Also, remember that Jones was named the starter not so much becasuse he earned it but partly due to the fact that Benson messed up during that preseason game and if he wasn't benched then the coach would be in danger of losing his team since Jones is well liked and Benson is not in the clubhouse.

Benson is banged up and Jones has a chance to take back the starting job right now so it makes it harder to pull the trigger. Jones has the tools but never was able to show good vision or play instincts. Last year he was much improved so he has upside but if you can get an elite WR or TE for him it would help your team overall.

What's up, my man? Need a little help with my WR's this week. I've got Fitzgerald at my WR1 spot, but who do I start at WR2 and WR3 from this group:

Donald Driver vs. tough Bears D

Antonio Bryant vs. San Fran (high scoring game?)

Matt Jones vs. Dallas

Ernest Wilford vs. Dallas

I'm leaning towards starting Driver and Bryant...but I keep getting a nagging feeling that one of the Jag's WR's will end up with a good game despite Dallas' defense. What do you think? Thanks in advance for the help!

What's up, my man? Need a little help with my WR's this week. I've got Fitzgerald at my WR1 spot, but who do I start at WR2 and WR3 from this group:

Donald Driver vs. tough Bears D

Antonio Bryant vs. San Fran (high scoring game?)

Matt Jones vs. Dallas

Ernest Wilford vs. Dallas

I'm leaning towards starting Driver and Bryant...but I keep getting a nagging feeling that one of the Jag's WR's will end up with a good game despite Dallas' defense. What do you think? Thanks in advance for the help!

When in doubt, starting your best guys is never be a bad option. Heck, I feel you should start your best guys no matter what.

Think of it this way. Fitz is a must start because he is projected to put up big numbers this year. So you would be a fool not to play him.

Driver is your second best WR and he should be good for at least 6 or 7 TD's with a good chance of more now that Javon Walker is gone. Hopefully he can pull down 10+ TD's for you this year. Now, in order to get all those TD's you have to play him every week, just like Fitz . Pulling him out of your lineup only to see him score 2 TD's means you would lose that much value from that draft pick, probably a middle round pick.. (the middle rounds are very important because thats where the next fantasy studs are found, like Galloway and Steve Smith)

For the 3rd WR spot, playing musical chairs would make more sense since all those WR's taken in the late rounds are about the same anyway. Hopefully one of the other three wideouts will emerge as a stud this year and then you can just start all three every week. If you concentrate on scoring the most points over the entire season rather than just one game at a time, you will win more games. Trust me on that.